Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It s just hearsay.
    I'll be seeing The Shining (1980) at my theater in a few hours. It was the first Kubrick film I saw, and remains my favorite of his incredible filmography. I've been thinking a lot about Kubrick films lately. I really don't think we'll see another director as great as Kubrick emerge again.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I saw it in the theatre in '80. I was mostly disappointed (I think I wanted the novel as written), but now I recognize it for the masterpiece that it is.

Too bad I can't drag you along to the theater today :)) it's great to have such a big, fellow Kubrick fan here!
    The Shining is also my favourite Kubrick movie, and also my favourite horror movie.
    Currently watching Full Metal Jacket (1987) now. Solid film for sure; not one of my personal favorite Kubrick films, but still very good! I think I'll watch Eyes Wide Shut (1999) around Christmas to fit its Christmas theme!
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 12,242
    A cool picture I found of Stanley Kubrick and Malcolm McDowell:

v1.bjsyNTU1Njk7ajsxNzIwNjsyMDQ4OzE3OTU7MTIzNA

Also, Happy 100th Birthday to Kirk Douglas - the lead of Kubrick's Paths of Glory and Spartacus!
    That s impressive.
    I recently read Traumnovelle which of course inspired Eyes Wide Shut. They did a really good adaptation while making the movie its own thing. I always thought EWS was unfairly criticized and underrated. Anyone else has it on his Christmas movies list?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I recently read Traumnovelle which of course inspired Eyes Wide Shut. They did a really good adaptation while making the movie its own thing. I always thought EWS was unfairly criticized and underrated. Anyone else has it on his Christmas movies list?

Yeah. I'll be watching it soon; my Christmas movies include the likes of that, Die Hard, Batman Returns, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I watch some more traditional stuff too (Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, etc.).
    I did own Eyes Wide Shut, but gave it away. It s a good film, but not amongst those I need to have.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Yeah. I'll be watching it soon; my Christmas movies include the likes of that, Die Hard, Batman Returns, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I watch some more traditional stuff too (Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, etc.).

Same here. Now with a son I'll watch more traditional Christmas movies but I watch lots of more adult ones.

And for whoever has a twisted mind: not that kind of adult movies.
    Just got done with my watch of Eyes Wide Shut (1999)! There's just so much to get out of that film. I find it interesting how, like many (if not all) of Stanley's films, it took years for it to be appreciated and enjoyed by audiences and some critics.
    I think Eyes Wide Shut had been unfairly criticized for very bad reasons. It's a movie that explore things about human psyche and even civilization people would rather not think about. I remember discussing about it to someone and she said it was an unhealthy movie.
    I think Eyes Wide Shut had been unfairly criticized for very bad reasons. It's a movie that explore things about human psyche and even civilization people would rather not think about. I remember discussing about it to someone and she said it was an unhealthy movie.

I see it the other way around. It is a challenging movie - very challenging, but it's thought-provoking in positive ways. I'd say the same for A Clockwork Orange. Many people brush the two films off for their incredibly dark presentations, but they each hold valuable, positive, and important messages.
    I agree they are thought provoking and positive. But both ACO and EWS had themes that made many people umcomfortable, if not troubled and they expressed their unease into a negative criticism. They are uncompromising movies and often people don't like it.
    A friend told me on Facebook that EWS was sexist crap. Not the first time I've heard it. Absolutely unfounded and a clear misunderstanding of the movie.
    A friend told me on Facebook that EWS was sexist crap. Not the first time I've heard it. Absolutely unfounded and a clear misunderstanding of the movie.

Yeah. Unfortunately most of Kubrick's films have been and still are misunderstood by many people.
    I just wonder what's supposed to be sexist about it.
    Search me. It's hard to watch at points, but it's a challenging and well-made film. Some films can become "crap" or "trash" because of how they handle explicit content, but it's clear to me anyway EWS's heart is in the right place.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    I think Kubrick's greatest strengths are his casting, atmosphere, visuals, sound and directing. His prime weakness is storywriting.

Shining was one of the best horror movies I ever saw in my life.

Clockwork Orange was fantastic from a cinematic standpoint but the third act of the movie was weak.

Dr. Strangelove was okay. Some scenes were really good. Most of the humor wasn't that funny, but I guess it was very influential.
    Just finished an awesome fiction novel, Kubrick's Game. For any other big fans of Stanley Kubrick, and films in general, I recommend it highly. It was very enjoyable.
    I think in general Kubrick's stories are really tightly written. Often beautiful in their simplicity. It might actually be too structured for everyone's taste (2001, ACO, EWS) but they are neat.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 12,242
    I'm trying to shelve them for a while so that I can enjoy them all fresher for some later time. It sure is difficult though; I couldn't help but watch half of Dr. Strangelove when it was on TV last night! Kubrick's films are truly gifts that keep on giving.
    I wouldn t call most of Kubrick s films simplistic. They are full of symbolism and subtext.
    I wouldn t call most of Kubrick s films simplistic. They are full of symbolism and subtext.

I said simple and was talking of specific. ACO for instance is beautifully simple.
    Yes, I will give you that. As is FMJ.
    A Clockwork Orange, 2001 and The Shining are my favourites. The Shining has to be the greatest horror movie of all time.

Barry Lyndon deserves a mention too, as the most beautifully shot film ever.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @FoxRox

I have ordered that book based on your recommendation and it arrived today. I'm starting to read in 5
    @DarthDimi Hope you enjoy it. Really a fun, easy read.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @FoxRox

And so after four days of reading about 90 pages or so per day, I finished the book with a huge smile on my face. I'm a Stanley Kubrick fan and while this book is ultimately its own cinematic mystery adventure, a sort of popcorn version of a Dan Brown thriller, it keeps hammering Kubrick and his amazing set of films into one's head with an unbroken spirit. Searching for clues within Kubrick's movies was loads of fun. Also,
    having Spielberg and McDowell

make cameo appearances was a lot of fun for sure!

Thank you very much, friend. I wouldn't have known about this book if you hadn't mentioned it and now I'm glad I have read it! :D