Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,985
    If anyone's interested i recently attended the Stanley Kubrick exhibition at the Design Museum in London. This is an amazing exhibition with some fascinating props and behind the scenes archives. Will post a few pictures of my visit.
    IMG-20190815-112841.jpg
    The Durango 95 from A Clockwork Orange

edited August 2019 Posts: 3,985
    IMG-20190815-113523-Copy.jpg

IMG-20190815-115216.jpg
    IMG-20190815-120048.jpg
    IMG-20190815-120233.jpg
    Jack's typewriter from The Shining
    IMG-20190815-120913.jpg
    Great stuff! Wish I could go someday. The Shining and A Clockwork Orange are definitely two of my very favorites so that’s cool to see.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks for the pictures LeonardPine.

This put in the mood for some Kubrick this weekend. Now which movie shall it be? Early period (i.e., ”The Killing”), middle period (i.e., “A Clockwork Orange”) or late period (i.e., “Full Metal Jacket”)? How about “Lolita”, since Miss Moneypenny (Lois Maxwell) makes an appearance?
    Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing. I'm curious, does Kubrick's estate own all of these props or Warner Bros. or another entity?
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Jack's typewriter from The Shining
    IMG-20190815-120913.jpg

WOW! Great, glad for you!
    Maybe you have some photos with Napoleon part of exhition? I heard that it has some Cary Fukunaga words as he is attached to direct Napoleon.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing. I'm curious, does Kubrick's estate own all of these props or Warner Bros. or another entity?

Good question. I'm not sure but i think Kubrick's wife had a lot of material stored away.
    Some more pictures i took at the Kubrick exhibition...

Private Joker's actual helmet from Full Metal JacketIMG-20190815-115829-Copy.jpg

The Overlook maze
    IMG-20190815-120830.jpg

Speaks for itself!
    IMG-20190815-121048.jpg
    IMG-20190815-121125.jpg
    IMG-20190815-120929.jpg
    IMG-20190815-120944.jpg
    The actual prop from the ending of The Shining
    IMG-20190815-121037.jpg

It always takes my breath away to see actual props from any classic movies. That helmet from FMJ is just awesome!
    Eyes Wide Shut
    IMG-20190815-120557.jpg
    IMG-20190815-120603.jpg
    IMG-20190815-120634.jpg
    IMG-20190815-120642.jpg

RogueAgent wrote: »
    It always takes my breath away to see actual props from any classic movies. That helmet from FMJ is just awesome!

Me too @RogueAgent it was so amazing seeing props from some of Kubrick's classic films.
    IMG-20190815-121804.jpg
    IMG-20190815-122057.jpg
    IMG-20190815-122154.jpg
    IMG-20190815-122528.jpg
    IMG-20190815-122233.jpg
    IMG-20190815-122325.jpg
    IMG-20190815-122551.jpg
    IMG-20190815-123408.jpg

Another view of the Durango 95
    IMG-20190815-113309-2.jpg
    Did they change the Durango's colour?
    These photo's are just getting better and better!!!! @-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thanks for posting, very interesting.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @LeonardPine This appears to be the same exhibit that I saw at The Jewish Museum in San Francisco a couple of years ago. Very thorough undertaking.

Probably @Birdleson this one is there only until September. Glad I caught it as it's an amazing exhibition. 👍
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    When I visited the exhibition, I spent two hours in the "2000" section, just standing there, in awe. My friends had to beg me to leave.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    When I visited the exhibition, I spent two hours in the "2000" section, just standing there, in awe. My friends had to beg me to leave.

I suppose you wanted to move in? Was there anything from his earlier films there?

I suppose you wanted to move in? Was there anything from his earlier films there?

The exhibition covers all his films. Obviously some more than others because some of the older films haven't as much in the way of props or costumes.

There's still loads of interesting artifacts from his entire career including his Napoleon project.

You could seriously spend all day there easily.

Well worth the £15 it cost. There's a cool Kubrick shop there as well.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

The exhibition covers all his films. Obviously some more than others because some of the older films haven't as much in the way of props or costumes.

There's still loads of interesting artifacts from his entire career including his Napoleon project.

Do you have some photos of Napoleon's part of exhibition? It'll interesting to see.
    Pavlo wrote: »

Do you have some photos of Napoleon's part of exhibition? It'll interesting to see.

Unfortunately not as that section is more stuff to read than photograph.
    I saw some of these props in the Kubrick Archives book, although it's the smaller version which doesn't do these the justice they deserve. A lot of these photos here look like these props have been very well taken care of over the decades.

I saw a similar Star Wars exhibition where it seemed like a lot of wear on things like they hadn't been cared for properly. The Wampa outfit in particular seemed dirty and tatty.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Pavlo wrote: »

Unfortunately not as that section is more stuff to read than photograph.

Maybe you remember - were there some hints on future TV-series from HBO based on Stanley's studies? Asking because huge fan of Cary Fukunaga works (and Stanley's, of course) and he is attached to this series. Really hoping that B25 wont be an obstacle for him (Jan Harlan said that filming may start in 2020) because Napoleon from him is my little cinematic dream project.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,497
    I still need to watch Barry Lyndon. And I absolutely love these little bits of trivia (taken from IMDB):

Stanley Kubrick would often shoot a great many retakes of a scene, just to get "that extra something" in a shot; 20 to 50 takes per scene was not uncommon. It has been claimed that Kubrick shot over 100 takes of the scene in which Barry first meets Lady Honoria Lyndon.

Ultimately, Ryan O'Neal became so exasperated with said practice that he faced Kubrick at one point and said, "All right, I'll tell you what we'll do. You act out my part in this scene, and then I'll imitate you." Characteristically, Kubrick reckoned that O'Neal was merely being insolent.

Filming took 300 days over a two-year span, beginning around May or June of 1973. The production suffered two major shutdowns, resulting in what was then considered a bloated $11-million budget. It was finally released in December of 1975.