What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    As a huge Nolan fan, I concede that if he does not direct Bond 26, he will very likely never direct a Bond film.

I think he’s absolutely young enough to wait out until Bond 8…

Nolan is 52 currently, and there could easily be another reboot in 15 years, putting Nolan at 67. Very possible.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 252
    Nolan is 52 currently, and there could easily be another reboot in 15 years, putting Nolan at 67. Very possible.

Maybe, but now Nolan is available, no other project from him is announced or anything. In 15 years or when Bond 8 comes, Nolan have different projects and have no time for Bond.

I'm sure Nolan is directing Bond 26 and the Deal is done, they're waiting of an Annoucement because of Oppenheimer PR...

Edit: Also a good sign, Nolan works for Universal Pictures, and they have also rights for Bond 26
    Very much a now or never feeling on Nolan here. Sure, he possibly could wait for Bond #8, but the stars are feeling aligned. His name has been thrown around with the property for a long time, he’s just finishing a project, and B26 is open. We will see, but my gut says Nolan Bond is coming - specifically a trilogy.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,368
    Yeah, I've got that now or never feeling too concerning Nolan, Bond 7 & Bond 26. It just feels like perfect timing for Nolan.
    Oh yea I’m pretty convinced it’s going to be Nolan this time…. I was just pointing out he’s still relatively young and COULD wait for the next iteration. But agreed - the stars are aligned right now.
    Despite mostly favorable reactions, some of the early Oppenheimer reviews are confirming my Nolan fears — lack of emotion and wayyyy too talky.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Despite mostly favorable reactions, some of the early Oppenheimer reviews are confirming my Nolan fears — lack of emotion and wayyyy too talky.

Variety's closer: "But if Oppenheimer, in his way, made the bomb all about him, by that point it’s Nolan and his movie who are doing the same thing." Ouch.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 486
    Btw, I very much believe that a late 2025 release is in the cards if Nolan is directing.

Summer of 2012: release of The Dar Knight Rises
    Beginning of 2013: Nolan confirmed to direct Interstellar
    Late 2014: release of Interstellar

A similar schedule with Bond 26 is not outside the realm of possibility:

Summer of 2023: release of Oppenheimer
    Beginning of 2024: Nolan confirmed to direct Bond 26
    Late 2025: release of Bond 26
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Btw, I very much believe that a late 2025 release is in the cards if Nolan is directing.

Summer of 2012: release of The Dar Knight Rises
    Beginning of 2013: Nolan confirmed to direct Interstellar
    Late 2014: release of Interstellar

A similar schedule with Bond 26 is not outside the realm of possibility:

Summer of 2023: release of Oppenheimer
    Beginning of 2024: Nolan confirmed to direct Bond 26
    Late 2025: release of Bond 26

The only issue here is you can't really make a comparison between the two because the world of cinema was in a completely different place back in 2013. With these ongoing dual strikes, no real work will be able to move forward on the next installment until they're wrapped up.
  • @Creasy47 That's true, but most people expect the strikes to be over by the end of September.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am neither pro or con Nolan; he has said that he has a vision of what he would do with the character of Bond, it’s now or never for him.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    peter wrote: »
    @slide_99 , have you at least watched NTTD to judge the one American director who worked on a Bond film?

And no women directors? Why? There are some fine up and comers working in genre who could certainly helm a Bond film. Why no women directors? Seems a ridiculous “rule”.

“Phony dramas”, please define? I don’t recall seeing a phoney-drama-Bond film?

No, he hasn't. He might have to reconsider his opinion. Or even change his mind.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 727
    LucknFate wrote: »

Variety's closer: "But if Oppenheimer, in his way, made the bomb all about him, by that point it’s Nolan and his movie who are doing the same thing." Ouch.

Aged like milk. Is north of 90 on both metacritic and RT.
    @Creasy47 That's true, but most people expect the strikes to be over by the end of September.

I've not heard any estimates of either being resolved yet so I hope you're right on that note.
    LucknFate wrote: »

Aged like milk. Is north of 90 on both metacritic and RT.

I do think it’s going to be a special film. I just get frustrated by how Nolan’s rapid fire dialog often takes away from otherwise stunning filmmaking. I’m sure it’ll be great.
    If Nolan directs a bond movie, does that mean a score by Ludwig Goransson? That would be amazing.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

It seems like Christopher Nolan is going to be asked about Bond often on the coming weeks. He seems a bit reluctant in this interview, could be me just projecting my feelings that he will be the next director though.
    Listening to his answer I first got the feeling that he would love to write and direct the next one but either hasn't been approached yet or has been approached but the deal is not done yet. But then his reaction after the mention of the Aaron Taylor-Johnson rumour made me think it is a done deal.

EDIT: Okay, later in the interview Nolan says that he has not figured out yet what he will do next. So it seems like Nolan directing Bond 26 is definitely not a done deal yet.
    To be honest, I suspect that if EON wanted Nolan and were willing to give him an unprecedented amount of creative control over the direction of the story, they would have already approached him and this wouldn't be the answer he'd give. I could be wrong, and of course no writing/official screen tests are going to begin with the strike. My gut instinct is he's not been contacted by EON or anything though, and it may well be a case where he's not even under their consideration.

I personally don't see how this is a 'now or never' situation with him, nor do I see how he alone is needed to kickstart a new Bond actor's tenure.
  • "I personally don't see how this is a 'now or never' situation with him,"

He has repeatedly implied that he would only direct a Bond film if were the first Bond movie of a new Bond actor and he could be part of the casting process. So if not now, then he would need to wait until Bond actor #8 is chosen.

CR was released in 2006. Bond 26 will be released around 2026. It is not unlikely that the first Bond film of actor #8 will be released around 2046. Nolan will turn 76 that year.
    "I personally don't see how this is a 'now or never' situation with him,"

He has repeatedly implied that he would only direct a Bond film if were the first Bond movie of a new Bond actor and he could be part of the casting process. So if not now, then he would need to wait until Bond actor #8 is chosen.

CR was released in 2006. Bond 26 will be released around 2026. It is not unlikely that the first Bond film of actor #8 will be released around 2046. Nolan will turn 76 that year.

Well, if that's the case then it's a now or never situation of his own making. I'm not quite sure why he feels strongly about being a big part of the casting process for a new Bond. Traditionally while the likes of Campbell and Young contributed and had a say in this process, it's ultimately a decision that lies with the producers. While these directors worked closely with the actor once they got cast, neither Campbell or Young's first choices got the part, and it seems like this was for the best. Just by virtue of being the director he'll have a say, and I'm sure he knows it, but he also has to be willing to accept that they might go with an actor he perhaps doesn't think is as suited to the role as another that he does like. And then what?

I don't know, it seems more to me that Nolan wants to leave his 'stamp' on Bond as a whole, or at least prioritises this idea more than creating a Bond film that works in its own right.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @007HallY , that’s his MO…. As one review stated about Oppenheimer, Nolan (like his subject), ends up making it about himself.

The release of Tenet, a half-baked, undercooked script, was about him releasing this film so he saved cinema during the pandemic.

If he is the next director, I just don’t see him bringing any warmth, zest or excitement to the world of 007. My guess is, 007 would be forced into the Nolan universe.

If I thought Spectre was lacking and dragged, I fear a Nolan Bond would be that, but on steroids (lots of exposition delivered via monologues, with actors reciting in whispers, and far away looks; not very well developed female characters (I hear this follows him again in Oppenheimer), and beautifully shot scenes that have strange pacing).

I genuinely hope he’s not the next director (and I pray not a writer on it), although it’d make sense as a smart and savvy business move…

Do I actually think it’ll happen— not at the moment. Too much is up in the air, and I do think they’d have to negotiate a very rewarding pay or play deal with him (as they did with Mendes, (when they hired him as a “consultant” on Skyfall, before they cleared the way for him to be officially named the director). They haven’t made this move yet, and they could. So, yes, I have to logically conclude that he hasn’t been approached and nothing is in the works with him...
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 14,831
    peter wrote: »
    @007HallY , that’s his MO…. As one review stated about Oppenheimer, Nolan (like his subject), ends up making it about himself.

The release of Tenet, a half-baked, undercooked script, was about him releasing this film so he saved cinema during the pandemic.

If he is the next director, I just don’t see him bringing any warmth, zest or excitement to the world of 007. My guess is, 007 would be forced into the Nolan universe.

If I thought Spectre was lacking and dragged, I fear a Nolan Bond would be that, but on steroids (lots of exposition delivered via monologues, with actors reciting in whispers, and far away looks; not very well developed female characters (I hear this follows him again in Oppenheimer), and beautifully shot scenes that have strange pacing).

I genuinely hope he’s not the next director (and I pray not a writer on it), although it’d make sense as a smart and savvy business move…

Do I actually think it’ll happen— not at the moment. Too much is up in the air, and I do think they’d have to negotiate a very rewarding pay or play deal with him (as they did with Mendes, (when they hired him as a “consultant” on Skyfall, before they cleared the way for him to be officially named the director). They haven’t made this move yet, and they could. So, yes, I have to logically conclude that he hasn’t been approached and nothing is in the works with him...
    I have the same reservations about Nolan. I loved Memento and his Dark Knight trilogy (the first two especially), but since then I think he's just too much... well, about himself. I liked bits of Dunkirk, but I didn't like it as much as I expected and that's never a good sign.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited July 2023 Posts: 7,980
    https://deadline.com/2023/07/christopher-nolan-james-bond-movie-oppenheimer-1235442893/

BREAKING NEWS
    Christopher Nolan Says It Would Be “An Amazing Privilege” To Direct A James Bond Movie
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    'As a writer, casting, everything — it’s a full package...Otherwise, I’m very happy to be first in line to see whatever they do.'
    Isn't he pretty much saying it's his way or no way? It'd be great for people who love Nolan's work, as it really would be 'his' Bond if he wrote, cast and directed it - but are EON likely to hand over so much control to one guy, even Nolan?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,501
    Venutius wrote: »
    'As a writer, casting, everything — it’s a full package...Otherwise, I’m very happy to be first in line to see whatever they do.'
    Isn't he pretty much saying it's his way or no way? It'd be great for people who love Nolan's work, as it really would be 'his' Bond if he wrote, cast and directed it - but are EON likely to hand over so much control to one guy, even Nolan?

You’re right: it’s his way or no way, for him.

EoN’s philosophy, from Cubby to BB and MGW, has always been: don’t let anyone else screw Bond up… so to give Nolan everything he wants would be a first… but, in another Bond universe, 007 taught us to Never Say Never.

Personally I think he’s definitely too cerebral, too cold, lacking any warmth, indulges himself, exposition via monologuing, poor female characters, no sexiness (and just because there’s full frontal nudity in Oppenheimer doesn’t mean he has shot it in genuine sexy ways), but;

It must be tempting to get him….

I still don’t see it.

Happy to be proved wrong.

He says he respects the source material and would not want to "do it wrong". It's in him. It'll probably be epic.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    I have a bad feeling this has all already been finalized, and that we're going to be getting a Nolan Bond movie starring ATJ. I hope I'm wrong, though.

"and that we're going to be getting a Nolan Bond movie starring ATJ"

Pretty much my dream Bond film. Seriously though, I can very much understand people preferring other directors to Nolan when it comes to Bond 26, but I cannot understand people being completely against him directing. An A-list director who has loads of experience directing big budget action films and is a huuuge Bond fan. What more do you want?

As for Nolan wanting it his way, sure he would want a lot of creative freedom but in this new podcast interview he also acknowledged the constraints that come with Bond. But even if he wanted total creative freedom, why would that be such a bad thing? This is not a Mendes or Boyle situation where there was a risk they would want to make a Bond film that is too out there. Furthermore, NTTD broke two of the biggest Bond taboos (Bond having a child ad Bond dying). Even if Nolan explicitly wanted to make Bond 26 more formula breaking than NTTD was and EON were on board with it, he probably would be unable to do so.