Rank the actors

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is in absolute accordance with the general average, @Kerim.
  • 1. Brosnan
    2. Dalton
    3. Connery
    4. Moore
    5. Craig and Lazenby

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    1. Dalton
    2. Connery/ Brosnan
    3, Craig
    4. Moore/ Lazenby

But again, they're all good.
    My current thinking:

Connery
    Moore
    Dalton
    Craig
    Lazenby
    Brosnan

Interesting comments on the various actors here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9584471/James-Bond-films-turn-50-who-made-the-best-007.html#?frame=2359915
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited April 2014 Posts: 7,314
    Getafix wrote:
    I can't agree with ranking Brosnan over Dalton. As much as I love Moore, I'm not sure that he's better than Craig. We'll have to see how Craig's era unfolds before we can give a proper comparison.
    pachazo wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    I can't agree with ranking Brosnan over Dalton. As much as I love Moore, I'm not sure that he's better than Craig. We'll have to see how Craig's era unfolds before we can give a proper comparison.

Agree with this, and will add that ranking Brosnan above Lazenby is a travesty as well. But an enjoyable read!
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Bill & Ted's Excellent Bond Actor Ratings

BILL: Hi, I am Bill S. Preston, Esquire. Me & my esteemed colleague, Ted "Theodore" Logan will now render our Bond actor ratings for you, the awesome fans!
    TED: Yeah.
    BILL: First up is Shawn Connery, you've sean him.
    TED: Bill, that was bogus.
    BILL: Yeah, not too well executed. But it rocked in my head. Anyway, he was most serious.
    TED: Definitely! He shot that Dent dude in the ass!
    BILL: And he totally got the babes in Thunderball.
    TED: Yeah, he gets five stars all the way.
    BILL: Next up was George something. He was cool, I guess.
    TED: Bill... He had lots of guts?
    BILL: Oh yeah, yeah- he rocked! Four stars?
    TED: Nah, three. He wore a skirt.
    BILL & TED: Fag.
    BILL: Then came The Saint guy. He shot a guy in the nuts once, but he was mostly lame.
    TED: Yeah, but he had a car-sub.
    BILL: Dude, that was totally a model!
    TED: You're right dude, one star for the nut-shoot.
    BILL: After The Saint came that guy from Flash Gordon, the one with the moustache.
    TED: He was pretty good; he blew that drug guy up all over the place.
    BILL: Yeah, with a Felix lighter. *air guitar*
    TED: SIX stars!
    BILL: Dude, it's one to five.
    TED: Oh. Yeah. Five I guess.
    BILL: Next we got Remington Steele.
    TED: He was awesome! Two-handed machine gun action! Like Rambo in a tux, dude!
    BILL: Yeah dude, he was most non-heinous.
    TED: Yeah, I was like whoah, he's killing thousands of dudes!
    BILL: Totally. Best bond ever, dude. Okay, six stars.
    TED: Finally we now have the Craig guy. He was in Tomb Raider.
    BILL: A very excellent film I might add.
    TED: Whoah, she was so-
    BILL: Stay on topic dude.
    TED: Oh. Okay. What are we talkin' about?
    BILL: Craig Bond, dude.
    TED: Oh yeah, he sucks.
    BILL: We must agree to disagree on this one, dude, he got shot off a thousand foot bridge & totally lived.
    TED: But all his babes die!
    BILL: Good point dude. A star for the bridge thing?
    TED: We can afford to be magnanimous and toss him two! He did other cool stuff I can't remember right now.
    BILL: Done, dude.
    BILL & TED: Stay tuned 21st Century dudes, the next actor will be EXCELLENT!!
    *air guitar*
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Updated:
    1. Connery/Craig
    Are you saying that Craig is the equal of Connery here? I mean don't get me wrong, I love QOS with a burning passion, but Connery's Bond in his first few films was rather unequal-able, don't you think?
    Craig (who has steadily been gaining) is now at least on an equal footing in my estimation.
    His turn in QOS impressed me beyond words, yes. Craig is great, no matter what those nuts Bill & Ted say.
    :))
    I don't get the connection "Bill & Ted" (I am familiar with those movies, to some extent).
    There's no connection. Once on David Letterman he had a dentist review the movie "Reds" and I saw the brilliance of the disconnect. Just replicated it a bit in my own way here is all.
    ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Updated-
    1. Rogermoorus MyFavouritus
    2. The Daltonator
    3. Connerus Usedtobemysecondfavouritus
    4. Brozzer MyShouuulderus
    5. Daniel Nothingagainsthimus
    6. George Itisunfairtorankhimus
    Sean
    George
    danny
    Tim
    pierce

I do not think Roger's Bond is what the character was meant to be.
    1.Timothy Dalton
    2.Daniel Craig
    3.Sean Connery
    4.George Lazenby
    5.Roger Moore
    6.Pierce Brosnan
  • 1. Pierce Brosnan
    2. Sean Connery
    3. Timothy Dalton
    4. Roger Moore
    5. Daniel Craig
    6. George Lazenby
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    It changes all the time for me, but right now...

Moore
    Craig
    Dalton
    Connery
    Brosnan
    Lazenby

It use to be... Craig, Connery, Dalton, Brosnan, Moore, Lazenby
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,425
    After some recent viewings and being blown away by OHMSS, Laz and Dalts have switched places.

Connery
    Moore
    Laz
    Dalts
    Craig

Broz
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Connery
    Craig
    Moore
    Brosnan
    Dalton
    Lazenby
  • 1. Sean Connery
    2. Daniel Craig
    3. Timothy Dalton
    4. Roger Moore
    5. George Lazenby
    6. Pierce Brosnan
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    We're close @Birdleson.

1. Connery
    2. Craig (gaining on Connery but will never surpass him imho)
    3. Moore (I agree on his first two performances being his best - although I also liked him in TSWLM even though I realize he started to slip in a bit of the Moore'isms here than in the first two)
    4. Dalton (with one more under his belt he may have taken 3 from Moore)
    5. Brosnan/Lazenby (I agree that Lazenby could be much higher if he had done a few more)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree. Moore increasingly played Bond as Moore as he went along. Charismatic no doubt and highly entertaining as ever, but less Bond.
  • 1 Craig
    2 Dalton
    3 Connery
    4 Moore
    5 Lazenby
    6 Brosnan

Having said that, I think Pierce is awesome, so this is no criticism of any actor.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    1. Connery/Craig

If Spectre is amazing, then -- Connery with three outstanding films: being DN, FRWL, and GF -- CR, SF, SP (assuming SP => Skyfall) will surpass those for me and Craig will be the best in my eyes.

2. Moore
    3. Brosnan
    4. Lazenby
    5. Dalton
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    1) Connery

His superiority causes a gap.

2) Craig
    3) Dalton
    4) Moore
    5) Lazenby
    6) Brosnan
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,727
    The thing is that I tend to look at this argument from the following point of view: ‘would I (re)watch the (Bond)film in question if it did not feature that particular actor?’

Connery’s first four are all fine Bondfilms, each to a higher or lesser degree, but I don’t think they’d have anywhere near the same re-watch value if they had featured Moore or any of the other actors rumored to be in the running for the 007 role back in 1961. That is how highly I regard Sean. He MAKES those films work.
    YOLT and DAF I couldn’t care less, I wouldn’t watch them any more or less if they had featured any of the other Bonds.

Lazenby is perfectly fine in OHMSS, but I think I’d still be just as fond of that movie if you’d digitally replace him with Michael Gambon or whomever was rumoured at the time.

Apart from FYEO I feel pretty much the same about any of Roger’s films. He’s a lovely chap and all but very ’vanilla’. Sort of like a Vauxhall Cavelier (Opel, for the mainland Europeans)

TLD might have worked fine with Brosnan or the other guys who auditioned, but I would NOT watch it as regularly. Dalton makes that movie for me.
    LTK would be practically unwatchable for me without him. Can you imagine the same film but with Sam Neil? …shudder

Brosnan is utterly anonymous in this regard. GE -> DAD may as well have featured a sealion in a tux for all I care, I still throw it on the DVD player every now and then for a dose of Schadenfreude

Craig makes CR an even stronger film than it would have been without him, and he keeps QoS and SF from a slow drowning death.
    So he too, is utterly watchable, like Connery and Dalton.

It goes: Connery, Craig, Dalton, Moore, Lazenby, Brosnan
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    In sixth place
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG3nc2YTexOpabdHF7yZrbwI03V7mVi2RgVcQHhOKcV6G6vYSP
    I understand the Dalton-love, but I feel his tenure was met with a general level of apathy from everyone at the time. And over the years I have resigned to finding him a bit bland.

Fifth place
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtGMOWhmhHuiwZStlJ83IDIIU_spPMTba-6QfEykLXp_yyilOF
    Handsome as handsome can be, but sometimes Brozzer just tried too hard.

Fourth place
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXjzdRLM-V2zIDE7lpklcGvFKTCxzLpC_fLiQ6a4wfH7_WRdB7
    He did so well despite every conceivable obstacle. The most physically and emotionally challenging Bond film up to that point, and this amateur did a pretty good job. Looked good, moved well, delivered.

Third..
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlA6mRuLIZIjLIEqmzVlAS5t5rtBitrwtgd0c9NAF11Rdp2Pkp
    The mighty SRM..the world is his playground.

Second...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0D7J3hIIBBcGdiURrDPAVtUYzJje4uOZJa3kWQYnNt4Rn_RWb8g
    I'm a fan, no doubt. He brings energy and class to a part that needed someone just like..Daniel Craig. Being tall dark and handsome had proved to be not enough for the role.

Top of the pile
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuffk2H8HJSqPZnbUYGdcWVobvwVqvlgyqq6xaEMuCWZIsAevD5g
    The great Connery. Don't like him, don't like his politics, don't like his attitudes. But he is simply the finest Bond of them all.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 4,422
    NicNac wrote:
    Handsome as handsome can be, but sometimes Brozzer just tried too hard.

Indeed he did, dear @NicNac

6. George Lazenby

Sorry George, but someone has to be here. Yes, you were kinda wooden, but more often than not, you'd knock it right out of the park.

5. Daniel Craig

You know, I feel bad ranking old Craigy boy down so low. Craig has the most character development so far. Which is why he's down here - a) I'm waiting for his journey to be complete, from proto-Bond into the seasoned veteran, and b) what would the others do with Craig's scripts?

4. Sir Roger Moore

Utterly unflappable, and utterly English. Moore has an air of haughty indifference to playing 007. Urbane and laconic, Moore was a gifted light comedian, and through his lightness of touch, Moore differentiated himself, not only from Connery, but also the other actors to subsequently inhabit the role of 007. Shame he moved like an Ox.

3. Timothy Dalton

Subtly charming, and true to the latter novel of Fleming's Bond. The Living Daylights is a more classic outing, although he has layers of depth, subtleties, to his characterization, and the other, Licence To Kill, for a more animalistic interpretation, where Bond loses his sheen of sophistication, exposing the blunt instrument beneath. For most of the movie Bond fights with his heart, the personal nature of the story clouding his judgement, making his aim sloppy. It is only once Bond learns about the stinger missiles is he finally able to treat his vendetta as a mission, and he finally gains control of the situation.

2. Pierce Brosnan

Brozz turns in a supremely elegant and dangerous performance as Bond throughout his tenure, getting better with each subsequent film. Minus points for being too animated.

1. Sean Connery

Connery himself had a natural strength and aggression, which Cubby so admired, tempered with a calm authority, great grace and elegant poise. In addition to his smooth, sexual magnetism and wry charm, Connery's Bond was underpinned by a real sense of danger; his was a Bond, like the novels, that had earned his 00-prefix, and this was a key development in translating Bond to the masses.

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Wow, this was tough. I do think that they all bring something different to the table but, here goes-

6. Lazenby - did a great job and number 6 only because he's a one movie Bond. Would love to have seen him again.

5. Dalton - no denying that this guy is a great actor but with only 2 movies under his belt it's difficult to place him higher.

4. Brosnan - top actor, Goldeneye was great and he looked like he was going to be a legendary Bond, however, a drop in quality of movies, in particular DAD, hindered that somewhat.

3. Craig - for some reason there were reservations when he was chosen to be Bond #6. Myself, however, thought he'd be a good choice. He's proved his doubters wrong and has brought a tougher, emotional Bond I think, similar in ways that Lazenby was in OHMSS. Can't wait for Spectre.

2. Moore - Sir Rog is such a legend. Wonderful actor, proved in many movies, not just the 007 series. Very different to Connery but with some similarities. Over the last couple of years I have gained a lot more love for Moore.

1. Connery - I'm sure he'll be #1 for a lot of people on here and it's no wonder. The original movie Bond. He had everything needed to be a great 007 and he has proved to be the best. Why? Maybe it's because he is the original. Every actor that follows is compared to him more than others.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    6. Lazenby
    He lacks the presence of the other Bonds. His performance is adequate in a sentimental film that would not have particularly suited his predecessor nor successor. If nothing else, Lazenby should get credit for pulling off what he did without being a talented actor.

5. Dalton
    For as talented of an actor as he is, Dalton often comes across as one-dimensional by nailing the dangerous elements of the literary Bond, but not bringing much else to the table. As a result, his demeanor is more blunt, lacking a suave and sophisticated quality that the film Bond is known for. His conquests are among the least natural as well.

4. Moore
    He played Bond to the beat of his own drum, which gives him higher consideration by most. I certainly appreciate his take on Bond because it is an image worthy of cinema, but at times it got to the point where he became a spoof of himself with increasingly zany actions that certainly raise eyebrows from a modern viewer such as myself.

3. Brosnan
    What he lacks in originality, he makes up for by being a dynamic character. His appearance and attitude make audiences believe that his women would get into bed with him. Hampered by weak films, there are some more serious moments that he did particularly well. If he had the chance to star in better films, he would be ranked higher by most.

2. Connery
    Connery defined Bond and made it his own character. He gave the character credibility by expressing the danger of the role and get women to do anything he wanted. While no one personifies the cinema Bond more than Connery, he is only ranked second in my list. In all honesty, he lacks depth of acting talent to hit the mark on all of the qualities of the character.

1. Craig
    Craig is the best actor to play the part of Bond. He adds more dimensions to Bond than any other actor has been capable of in the past. Almost every moment feels genuine to the point where he essentially becomes the person, James Bond. The productions have been skillfully conscious of his talent and tailored the scripts to his ability to put life into a character.
    Craig has managed to make Bond more believable and thus more interesting. And despite being blond-quite a feat.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 13,894
    6. Craig
    I don't blame just Craig, but this is by far the worst take (the only one I can't find something positive to say about) on Bond. A charmless, dense, emotionally unstable, thug. Everything they have attempted with this Bond, and mishandled, has been done better with previous Bonds. A Bond, I care not too see any more of, not in the cinema, at least.

5. Brosnan
    I have been a critic of Brosnan in the past. But in light of Craig, I come to realise that Brosnan and his films actually weren't bad. Ok, the films fell back on box ticking, but they still had the Bond elements in place.

4. Moore
    I have never been a supporter of the Moore era (though I have grown fond of FYEO), I can still appreciate what Moore did (even if I didn't like it on the whole, and I didn't). He kept the series ticking over in the 70's and 80's.

3. Connery
    The stock Bond. You could pretend to be a Bond fan by saying that Connery was your favourite, and people would just accept it. I'll give it to him, Connery was good in his first two, but beyond that, being the first Bond isn't enough to make him the best. Until recently, Connery held the 1st runner up possition, but had the vacate it for...

2. Lazenby
    Over the last 19 years as a fan, I have a bit of a hate/love outlook on Lazenby. But over the last few years, Lazenby has used his skills to fight his way up my list. Lazenby brought more emotion to the role than what had been seen up to that point, as well as a natuaral athleticism.

1. Dalton
    Ah, the man crush. T-Dalts. Maybe not as outwardly charming as other Bond, Dalton's Bond up for it with a cunning, ruthless streak. Dalton might not have been as popular as the other Bond in the past, and his popularity might have slowy increased over the years. But damn, this is how I picture Bond.