Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 418
    I just went into my local off-licence to get a bottle of wine to watch 'Dr No' this evening, and they had the radio on, very loud. Guess what was playing? - I got so excited, hearing Adele belt it out, i almost dropped my bottle!:-)
    Skyfall is ok I really am not into it like everyone else sorry.
  • Now that the song has been out a little while, it is growing on me. I still think that it sounds "under-produced" but as it's been noted above we may get a slightly different version of the song over the opening credits - they could up the bass and brass to make it more "Bondian".

I have no problem with the song being more slow, romantic, or moody - YOLT, DAF, and MR would all be similar, although there is more "going on" in the songs that make them more aurally interesting to me. Of course, SF the song may be very appropriate to the feel and atmosphere of the film so I should reserve judgement.

I wonder how someone who has never seen a Bond film or heard any of the theme songs rank the songs? Once we've seen the film its theme song becomes linked to it in our minds which can really change our perceptions of it. I was surprised by YKMN when I first heard it, then after getting used to it I thought it was okay. But after seeing it over the titles of CR and how it was integrated into the score I absolutely love it - I can't "un-see" CR so YKMN is now forever linked to it in my mind. I think it's likely the same thing will happen with SF for me.
    Now that the song has been out a little while, it is growing on me. I still think that it sounds "under-produced" but as it's been noted above we may get a slightly different version of the song over the opening credits - they could up the bass and brass to make it more "Bondian".

I have no problem with the song being more slow, romantic, or moody - YOLT, DAF, and MR would all be similar, although there is more "going on" in the songs that make them more aurally interesting to me. Of course, SF the song may be very appropriate to the feel and atmosphere of the film so I should reserve judgement.

I wonder how someone who has never seen a Bond film or heard any of the theme songs rank the songs? Once we've seen the film its theme song becomes linked to it in our minds which can really change our perceptions of it. I was surprised by YKMN when I first heard it, then after getting used to it I thought it was okay. But after seeing it over the titles of CR and how it was integrated into the score I absolutely love it - I can't "un-see" CR so YKMN is now forever linked to it in my mind. I think it's likely the same thing will happen with SF for me.

I know what you're saying. My roommates both were blown away immediately, but I had mixed feelings and said I'd have to see the way the song fits with the opening title sequence of the movie. They couldn't understand how I couldn't come to a verdict based on the song's own merits, but it's the same thing I said about YKMN, AWTD, and DAD. And those are pretty much the only Bond themes I wasn't experiencing for the first time when watching them married with the opening title sequences.

The best Bond themes are the ones that are perfect in context, which is why I get goosebumps everytime I watch the transitions from the pre-title sequence to title sequence and theme song in both CR and QoS.
    It doesn't remind me of TWINE because I prefer TWINE.

I think TWINE is the best of the Brosnan songs and one of the best in the series.

I agree. I think it has the best non-Bond music videos too. So classy and cool.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,043
    Well I can say without any doubt I very much like Adele's Skyfall theme, it's the best since Aha's The Living Daylight, the late great John Barry's Bond swansong. The best Bond themes are the ones that set the hairs on the back of your neck up and this has that effect. No it's not up there with Barry's best moments but it's the best in decades and I liked Cornell's You Know My Name and White's much maligned Another Way To Die.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,598
    37 in Bolivia! Alriiiight! ;)

I definitely like it but I could never say I love it. One can't help but wonder whether it would be number 1 in so many countries if Adele wasn't singing it. Still, I'm sure the 007 theme has something to do with it as it is consistent (albeit it more subtle in parts but still there) throughout the song. The Bond tune still does it for people after all these years, even if they don't realise it.

"I have no problem with the song being more slow, romantic, or moody - YOLT, DAF, and MR would all be similar, although there is more "going on" in the songs that make them more aurally interesting to me."

I agree. I still stick by my original claim that SF is a bit on the plain side but catchy and contagious at the same time. I love the License To Kill theme song. There's alot going on in that song.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 15
    From what I've read on the internet, some of the reviews are glowing while others are mediocre at best. And some of those mediocre reviews say that the song just really isn't ADELE (check out "The Telegraph" and their review). But to an extent, they're absolutely right. It's not an ADELE song. It's a Bond song. Sweeping and haunting, ADELE's voice, accompanied by a 77-piece orchestra, takes you down into murky depths the way Dame Shirley Bassey did it thrice before (GF; DAF; MR). It's sheer, classic Bond that sets the mood, not a modern slam-bang-crash song. I personally liked the song very much. It's high on my list of Bond themes. But at heart, I believe "Skyfall" is a Bond song that ADELE was gracious enough to do, not the other way around.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    In the time it took me to watch the 1.5 hour long EON documentary Adele's YouTube video went from 4.9 million to 5.9 million. 0o0
    bondfan007 wrote:
    From what I've read on the internet, some of the reviews are glowing while others are mediocre at best. And some of those mediocre reviews say that the song just really isn't ADELE (check out "The Telegraph" and their review). But to an extent, they're absolutely right. It's not an ADELE song. It's a Bond song. Sweeping and haunting, ADELE's voice, accompanied by a 77-piece orchestra, takes you down into murky depths the way Dame Shirley Bassey did it thrice before (GF; DAF; MR). It's sheer, classic Bond that sets the mood, not a modern slam-bang-crash song. I personally liked the song very much. It's high on my list of Bond themes. But at heart, I believe "Skyfall" is a Bond song that ADELE was gracious enough to do, not the other way around.

..and isn't this the way it should be?
  • Funny how in Bolivia and Macau (two Craig bond locations) its not number 1.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Is it on the soundtrack?
    My opinion is the word Skyfall is used to many times in the song. But I am sure it will be a hit as she is singing it.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    I have a gut feeling that the audience kinda like this kind of repetitive chorus. In my opinion, on many occasions that's the formula for success. It's not that complicated song, so it gets stuck in your brains completely.

not directed at you - or anyone in particular..

but... another thing i'll add about the "repetitive / simple lyrics" notion that people keep complaining about... name me 1 Bond song that is lyrically complex?.... off the top of my head, i can only think of 2 - AVTAK and LTD.. but the lyrics are soo damn complex that you have no idea what the hell they are singing about, nor how it relates to the movie or it's plot lol...

Bond songs have always been lyrically simple and easy to follow.

• HASEROT wrote:
    I have a gut feeling that the audience kinda like this kind of repetitive chorus. In my opinion, on many occasions that's the formula for success. It's not that complicated song, so it gets stuck in your brains completely.

but... another thing i'll add about the "repetitive / simple lyrics" notion that people keep complaining about... name me 1 Bond song that is lyrically complex?.... off the top of my head, i can only think of 2 - AVTAK and LTD.. but the lyrics are soo damn complex that you have no idea what the hell they are singing about, nor how it relates to the movie or it's plot lol...

Chill. It's a great song and I really enjoy it, but it isn't flawless.

I played it for my GF, a non-Bond fan who likes popular music like Adele, and the first thing she said was "Stop saying Skyfall."

I played it for my Mother, who has lived through most of the Bond era and she said "Well..I think I know all the words to the song....."

Both, however, thought it was a solid tune.

It's not like people are attacking a classic Bond staple, and even that is acceptable. So...is nbd if people find it repetitive. It is.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,399
    HASEROT wrote:

Chill. It's a great song and I really enjoy it, but it isn't flawless.

I played it for my GF, a non-Bond fan who likes popular music like Adele, and the first thing she said was "Stop saying Skyfall."

I played it for my Mother, who has lived through most of the Bond era and she said "Well..I think I know all the words to the song....."

Both, however, thought it was a solid tune.

It's not like people are attacking a classic Bond staple, and even that is acceptable. So...is nbd if people find it repetitive. It is.

i'm not saying it is flawless... but i do believe it is solid and one of the better (if not one of the best) Bond songs i've heard in a very long while..... granted you aren't going to please everyone, that is impossible to do..... but if people are going to nitpick 1 particular song to death because of it's repetitive simplicity - as if it's the first Bond theme to ever do it.... then that really starts to get annoying... i know in a thread that is dedicated to this one song in particular, thats going to be the topic of discussion - but people need to stop acting as if it's such a blasphemous and unlistenable song because it follows a structure and precedent that has been in place for 50 years.. thats all i am saying...... nowadays people overreact before they react..

and i actually am very chill at the moment, thanks :) - i just got done playing some Resident Evil 4 and i'm heading out the door to a clam bake..

Update: The song is growing on me. It's now moved up a few more notches and is competing with some of the later established themes. Its now challenging TLD, LTK, GE, TND, YKMN and of course the two unworthies DAD and AWTD. It's now actually pushing the top 15, which is pretty good for a brand new Bond theme, as I am heavily invested in all these themes. So out of 22 themes, I can now consider it as high as #15, although not with a bullet. Those other themes could push back and reclaim position.
  • HASEROT wrote:
    [

and i actually am very chill at the moment, thanks :) - i just got done playing some Resident Evil 4 and i'm heading out the door to a clam bake..

I must say, that sounds like a terrific day!
  • I think it sucks! The lyricist should've been fired because all she does is sing "Skyfall" over and over again. I guess they have to use the "flavor of the month" plus this is the first time I ever heard her and I think that she's not even all that good! Let's just say she's no Shirley Bassey, lol!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MartinBond wrote:
    iTunes Skyfall rating:
    #1 United States
    #1 United Kingdom
    #1 Argentina
    #1 Austria
    #1 Belgium
    #1 Brazil
    #1 Bulgaria
    #1 Canada
    #1 Chile
    #1 Costa Rica
    #1 Cyprus
    #1 Czech Republic
    #1 Dominican Republic
    #1 Ecuador
    #1 El Salvador
    #1 Estonia
    #1 Finland
    #1 France
    #1 Germany
    #1 Greece
    #1 Guatemala
    #1 Hong Kong
    #1 Hungary
    #1 Ireland
    #1 Italy
    #1 Latvia
    #1 Lithuania
    #1 Luxembourg
    #1 Malaysia
    #1 Malta
    #1 Mexico
    #1 Netherlands
    #1 Norway
    #1 Poland
    #1 Portugal
    #1 Romania
    #1 Singapore
    #1 Slovakia
    #1 Spain
    #1 Sri Lanka
    #1 Sweden
    #1 Switzerland
    #1 Taiwan
    #1 Thailand
    #1 Venezuela
    #1 Vietnam
    #2 Colombia
    #2 Honduras
    #2 Japan
    #2 New Zealand
    #2 Panama
    #2 Paraguay
    #2 Peru
    #2 Philippines
    #2 Slovenia
    #3 Australia
    #3 Denmark
    #11 Brunei Darussalam
    #18 Macau
    #25 Nicaragua
    #37 Bolivia

*faints*

Give this man a medal for this compilation!
  • But can it hold off Gangnam Style?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    gmuny2002 wrote:
    I think it sucks! The lyricist should've been fired because all she does is sing "Skyfall" over and over again. I guess they have to use the "flavor of the month" plus this is the first time I ever heard her and I think that she's not even all that good! Let's just say she's no Shirley Bassey, lol!

I'm going to suggest you count how many times the titles of many of the previous themes are repeated. I'll give you a clue: many. I also wonder if you have been living under a rock, how is it possible you never heard Adele before this?
  • But can it hold off Gangnam Style?

I'm just stoked it has so far. That's awesome! I wonder if Adele will make a surprise appearance on SNL this weekend. B-)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,767
    bondfan007 wrote:
    It's sheer, classic Bond that sets the mood, not a modern slam-bang-crash song. I personally liked the song very much.
    Everybody´s entitled to their opinion, so I won´t mention that Fire to the Rain was much more classic Bond than this reminiscence of the 90s, which may well sound totally different in the film, so I´m not gonna cry anymore till I´ve seen the film, but I think it´s pretty objective to say Adele´s songs so far have been nowhere near slam-bang-crash. :-B
    But can it hold off Gangnam Style?

I'm just stoked it has so far. That's awesome! I wonder if Adele will make a surprise appearance on SNL this weekend. B-)

She is pregnant and into her last weeks, what do you think?

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Could Skyfall be number one in the UK charts tomorrow? Many seem to think so.
    It would be crazy. The last chart update was before Skyfall had been released. It would be phenomenal if it managed it by Sunday. Has to beat off competition by 1D (ergh) and Rihanna - the more 'conventional' contenders for no.1...
  • I don't see how Adele isn't conventional. She's always on the radio (on there too much actually).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Maybe because she has talent and radio stations and listeners want to hear it.

Also, what do people in general want or expect from a Bond song? I understand people have their preferences for a particular style or genre of music but a good song is a good song regardless. I'm not really into rock music but I can appreciate the likes of Cornell and Sound garden and loved YKMN and live to rise for the avengers movie.

This is 2012 and not 1964. Honestly, some people are either too hung up on the past or can never be pleased. AWTD was crap. Full stop. SF sounds great but I love how some people here are music producers or song writers all of a sudden. Some people act like they were hoping for this song to be a Messiah-like revelation. It's just a song and a Bond song at that.
  • She has talent but she's still overplayed. Anyway, I was just pointing out that she's on the radio all the time, is really successful, and so is "conventional"

Some people just don't like the song, they don't have to, doesn't mean they're "acting like producers or song writers all of a sudden"

And I think almost all of us can agree that AWTD was crap.