Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 136
    Alan007 wrote:

Thank you muchly - though the release date is after the movie!

And an instrumental as the 'b side'....
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I was finally able to hear it full and watch the lyrics video! This song is just amazing, for the first time in many years I'm buying the theme song :) I love when the song changes rythm at "you may have my number", powerful stuff.

Is it just me or in the lyrics video there are shadows of women in the background? Or am I seeing things?
  • I saw them to. And they seemed to be in the form of clouds. Well. Thats how it looked to me!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Sandy wrote:
    I was finally able to hear it full and watch the lyrics video! This song is just amazing, for the first time in many years I'm buying the theme song :) I love when the song changes rythm at "you may have my number", powerful stuff.

Is it just me or in the lyrics video there are shadows of women in the background? Or am I seeing things?

Nope deffo sexy silhouetted woman
    Alan007 wrote:

There is also a vinyl version if you want a real b side ;)
    Sandy wrote:
    Alan007 wrote:

Why is it £4.99??
    DCisared wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    Alan007 wrote:

Why is it £4.99??

What are you talking about?
    @Sandy the price of the skyfall single on amazon ? ?
    DCisared wrote:

€0,99 for mp3, €3,99 for CD. I'm not in the UK I'm afraid.

• Yeah..UK Amazon is £4.99!
  • My opinion: It suggests a style similar to the slow, dreamy lounge-lizard sound of Sheryl Crow's "Tomorrow Never Dies".

Certainly a more conventional and traditional sounding piece when compared to "Another Way To Die" (a forgettable song to a forgettable entry).

After several listens, it would seem to settle in nicely somewhere in the middle-of-the-pact as far as Bond themes are concerned.

Solid and respectable but, no Top-10 material by any stretch in my opinion.
    Sandy wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

€0,99 for mp3, €3,99 for CD. I'm not in the UK I'm afraid.

Yea I got the track off iTunes last night for £0.99 but as @quarterdeck says its £4:99 for the cd in uk. Why!?? Robbing Bar stewards .
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 824
    John Barry shows how it should be done!

• I love the some. It so reminds me of the Bonds of the past but still feels contemporary and VERY BOND-IAN.

imranbecks wrote:
    I wouldn't call it a lame attempt. She played it safe without going over the top. Indeed she did sound restraint when compared to her previous songs she did, but her high pitch sounded just about perfect for this particular song.
    Perhaps it will receive a different mix for the film, like YKMN did, but thus far it reminds me more of those home recordings surfacing on youtube claiming to be the discarded title song from one of the last Bond films. I know this is not a home recording, but that´s about all that differs.
    HASEROT wrote:
    IMO, it's everything that a Bond theme should be, but not cliche' enough that it gets boring.... it harkens back to a Bassey / Tom Jones era
    I don´t say anything against your opinion, and since you rank the TWINE song so high you make sense liking this song, but I honestly don´t hear any connection to a Bassey /Tom Jones era. Those were massive voices, while here the singer sounds as if she had a cold. Which is a shame, considering that´s the woman who set fire to the rain.
    I think it's rather bold to say we leave an entire 'Bond era' by using a specific music sound or song for a Bond film. Why does the Craig Bond era so forcefully need to distance itself from all its predecessors. I find that like....ignoring the best elements of Bond.
    I was referring to Bond songs and nothing else. I wrote Bond song era, not Bond era. And, regardless of their popularity, the songs from Craig´s film thus far both had balls, while the only song from Brosnan´s films which wasn´t smothered with safe-playing wasn´t a Bond song at all.
    HASEROT wrote:
    SPECTRE wrote:
    Crappy lyrics (way too repetitive, I don't think any film's title has been repeated nearly as many times in the title song before.

Heaven forbid the song's title appear in the chorus.... shock and gasp.... they clearly are novices at what they do....

and you are clearly forgetting about Madonna's 'Die Another Day' - where Die Another Day was just not repeated in the chorus - but throughout the whole friggin' song!.... you want to talk about crappy lyrics, to a repetitive crappy song, there ya go..
    Why is he forgetting? Shure, doing a bad thing ten times is better than doing it 20 times, but that doesn´t make it good by any means.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,119
    My opinion: It suggests a style similar to the slow, dreamy lounge-lizard sound of Sheryl Crow's "Tomorrow Never Dies".

Certainly a more conventional and traditional sounding piece when compared to "Another Way To Die" (a forgettable song to a forgettable entry).

After several listens, it would seem to settle in nicely somewhere in the middle-of-the-pact as far as Bond themes are concerned.

Solid and respectable but, no Top-10 material by any stretch in my opinion.

It's a matter of taste also. I heard earlier on this forum, that the song is 'too romantic', 'too loungy', 'too slow-tempo'.

Well lads, these things have been part of the Bond films as well. Romantic atmosphere, lounge, slow-tempo are actually most of the time part of a James Bond title theme.

It started with Nancy Sinatra's sultry Bond-ballad 'You Only Live Twice', then continueed beautifully in Louis Armstrong's 'We Have All The Time In The World'. Not to mention the rather not-so-Bond-ian-sounding 'Nobody Does It Better'. Which was a pure romantic ballad....and a huge hit success, earning an Oscar-nod. Slow-tempo moved forward with the soulful music of John Barry's / Hal David's 'Moonraker'.

Then 'For Your Eyes Only' enhanced the romantic atmosphere again. Sheena Easton was beautiful and in 1981 one of the most popular and beautiful singers of her time. Rita Coolidge did a rather lacklustre attempt and did not really reach an 'All Time High'.

But I firmly believe Adele belongs in my above summary about fantastic female performers who set the standard for lush, jazzy, slow-tempo and romantic melodies. Adele is the Shirley Bassey, Carly Simon, Louis Armstrong, Sheena Easton and Nancy Sinatra. Without a doubt.

Bravo Adele.

Finally listened to the song in full at last! Its certainly growing on me in a positive way. I am sure it will become more and more popular. Not sure if it will get to number 1?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Finally listened to the song in full at last! Its certainly growing on me in a positive way. I am sure it will become more and more popular. Not sure if it will get to number 1?

It already is! On iTunes, at least...
    From what I heard it's #1 in 40 countries!
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    Sandy wrote:
    From what I heard it's #1 in 40 countries!

Well, what do you expect at 007pm on Bond Day ;-)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    My expectations were low so even though I didn't think it was great, I thought it wasn't bad and it was a nice suprise. I do prefer the Muse song but this could've been worse. Nice to see it's a hit too.
    HASEROT wrote:
    I Skyfall think Skyfall the Skyfall song Skyfall features Skyfall the Skyfall word Skyfall to Skyfall much Skyfalllllll.

Ok, so it wasn't that bad. But the song could have done with a few less Skyfall's. It was not as noticeable in the preview clip.

Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day not Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day as Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day bad Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day as Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day some Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day others Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day its not my time to go Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day Die Another Day

So? Just because DAD did it, it doesn't make it ok.
    A pastiche of a Barry Bond song because it's safe and there is a complete lack of good, new ideas.
    So you don't like the song ?
  • Very good.
  • is this an official video?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 58
    http://www.gigwise.com/news/76808/adele-outselling-rihanna-and-one-direction-with-skyfall-single

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9584033/Adeles-Skyfall-theme-top-10-James-Bond-songs.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19841624

Adele has a huge lead in sales with this single, and it will only become bigger throughout the weekend. It's becoming a huge hit. #1 in 43 countries over night, literally!
    adelefan wrote:
    is this an official video?

It's the same as the Austrian Sony clip, so yeah.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A certain amount of criticism is always to be expected, naturally. Either they come up with something new and people scream about how it's inappropriate material for Bond, too modern and whatnot, or they bring tribute to the past and then people blame them for lacking inspiration and ripping off the oldies. I'm not saying it shouldn't be that way either. People are entitled to their opinions, let's be frank.

I for one am glad they went here and brought back some of the old vibes. In fact, having now listened to the song in the double digits, I'm fairly confident this one will stick to me for a long time. Also, if I wasn't already in the mood for SF, this song certainly got me in the mood.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,012
    DarthDimi wrote:
    A certain amount of criticism is always to be expected, naturally. Either they come up with something new and people scream about how it's inappropriate material for Bond, too modern and whatnot, or they bring tribute to the past and then people blame them for lacking inspiration and ripping off the oldies. I'm not saying it shouldn't be that way either. People are entitled to their opinions, let's be frank.

I for one am glad they went here and brought back some of the old vibes. In fact, having now listened to the song in the double digits, I'm fairly confident this one will stick to me for a long time. Also, if I wasn't already in the mood for SF, this song certainly got me in the mood.

I agree with everything you said, I spent the afternoon listening to it and it did nothing but grow on me. Sometimes I hear a song and then the first impact vanishes but it isn't happening with this one and I'm glad it's like this.

I just saw that Calvin Dyson was fast and has already reviewed the song! I beginning to watch it now.
    [url]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8WKocqN0WhU?version=3&hl=pt_PT"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8WKocqN0WhU?version=3&hl=pt_PT"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/url]

EDIT: Calvin makes a brilliant comment about Daniel Kleinman: "Give the man a good song, a computer, and naked women and he will never disappoint".
    xolani wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

It already is! On iTunes, at least...

Wow! Lets see how long it stays there for? Is it due to Bond fans and Adele fans only though? I will guess its most likely but hey? A Bond UK number one is always good! :-bd
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Great review!!! He's so right in everything he says, well nearly everything. But the girl has some pipes indeed!