Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    It has sense of being the end song rather than a prelude to the main event. Maybe an instrumental piece after all at the beginning? Any way the song makes we want trifle.

Very unlikely, there are no hints that they will have an instrumntal credit sequence, they will actually have the Adele song. As for OHMSS, the beautiful song by Satchmo Armstrong was not fitting the rather dynamic opening and the introduction of lazenby as Bond, it was too romantic, so they decied to have it half through the movie... And mind you, we will never have an instrumental intro or score by John Barry, he is gone and unlike Bond he will never ever return...
  • SaintMark wrote:
    But can it hold off Gangnam Style?

I'm just stoked it has so far. That's awesome! I wonder if Adele will make a surprise appearance on SNL this weekend. B-)

She is pregnant and into her last weeks, what do you think?

Ahh! I forgot she's pregnant. Nevermind.
  • I still think the Muse song could be used for the credits.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    AWTD is crap in some peoples eyes, I'm the first to admit it wasn't amazing but I'd like to see what others would have done in the space of time White was given when it was obvious first choice Amy Winehouse was not doing it.

Adele and Epworth in comparison had much more time to come up with their theme and it shows, I personally really like it and it gets better with each listen, these the word Skyfall is said too much comments are funny, how many Bond themes have the title refrained many times throughout it's duration?

I personally feel the whole package is building up to something special, what is funny watching people who praise Brosnan criticising this film when it looks like quality wise that is an utterly different level to those generic action films that passed for Bond films in that era.

Adele enters the Dutch Mega Top 50 Billboard Charts at an impressive No#33 and with that it's the highest opener ever since Gladys Knight's 'Licence To Kill'. 'Licence To Kill' eventually went to 2nd position:

http://megatop50.3fm.nl/

As the Dutch Mega Top 50 is updated every Saturday morning, there's plenty of chance 'Skyfall' will move towards the Top 5. Boyband One Direction debuts at No#8, but that song had its debut on Monday, whereas 'Skyfall' only got its premiere on Friday.

But for now 'Skyfall' is already the most succesfull James Bond title song in Holland ever since Pierce Brosnan was announced as the new James Bond 007 in 1994. Tina Turner and Madonna had a lower debut in the charts and Sheryl Crow, Garbage, Chris Cornell, Alicia Keys & Jack White didn't even chart in the Mega Top 50.

Other songs that went on to become the best selling James Bond singles in Holland were Shirley Bassey's 'Goldfinger' (Highest ranking No# 5 in 1965), Sheena Easton's 'For Your Eyes Only' (No# 1 in 1981) and Duran Duran's 'A View To A Kill' (No# 3 in 1985)
  • To be honest that's part of the reason I hate AWTD: It was such a big missed opportunity, because on paper, a Jack White Bond theme sounds awesome.
    To be honest that's part of the reason I hate AWTD: It was such a big missed opportunity, because on paper, a Jack White Bond theme sounds awesome.

When did Alicia Keys and Jack White actually start composing the track?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,043
    To be honest that's part of the reason I hate AWTD: It was such a big missed opportunity, because on paper, a Jack White Bond theme sounds awesome.

When did Alicia Keys and Jack White actually start composing the track?

I believe it was about 3-4 months at the most to come up with it, personally I wish Keyes's was not involved White wrote the tune entire, it's a pity he couldn't have collaborated with Dangermouse like on the Rome project they were involved with together, Keyes just feels like an afterthought.

White's album his first solo one Blunderbuss is probably my album of 2012.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Apparently, Skyfall took 10 hours to get to number 1 on iTunes which is the quickest any song has gotten to number 1 on iTunes EVER.

Well done, Adele. It's truly great to be a Bond fan right now.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/adele-s-skyfall-reaches-number-1-on-itunes-10-hours-after-release
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I couldn't wait any longer I had to hear it. IT'S AMAZING!!!! MY NEW FAVORITE BOND THEME! \m/
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,598
    I wonder how long SF will remain at number 1 on iTunes.
    Bounine wrote:
    I wonder how long SF will remain at number 1 on iTunes.

iTunes is much more volatile. I am waiting for next week Billboard Charts accross the globe. They usually include a combination of sales, radio airplay and download statistics. If Adele can get high on there, then we could probably see another nr. 1 hit. Last time was 'A View To A Kill' from Duran Duran.

I'm not a fan of Adele, but I really really like her Skyfall track. I do hope it gets to no.1 if it's not already there!

"Taxi!...Taxi!!.." oh wait, it won't stop, Baltimore_007's in the back. I guess he left in such a hurry he forgot his coat.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,441
    Graves,

The Top 50 is only based on downloads, when i am talking about charts i prefer the Top 40. As said in other thread already i stil need to reap, singles don't exist any more. Top 40 is based on downloads, how much time it is playing on the radio and or it be yused on compilation cd. I haven heard Adele yet, but mabey it wil and then it be first time since Madonna. Cornell and Alicia Keys not playing on the radio, couple of days back i heard Another Way to Die for the first time on the radio.

Saying: 'Skyfall' is already the most succesfull James Bond title song in Holland ever since Pierce Brosnan was announced as the new James Bond 007 in 1994'' go to far. GE, TMND, Twine and DAD all of them release a single, you made your comment based on downloads only what i wil never accepted.

I hoped Adele wil be seen in Paul De Leeuw his show who i expect wil start over a couple of weeks, she visit his show a couple of times earlier in her career. But i read this week she is pregnent and Eon don't give dam about the number with not at it on the soundtrack i don't expect it and wil be disapointed again. So the playing of the song should come from radio stations, but on this moment my expections of that are very low.

I also hope there wil at the song on Hitzone 64 (February 2013) or Best of 2012 (November 2012), Seven times she be on a regulier hitzone. Hitzone 45 & 48, Hitzone 56-57 & 58, Hitzone 60 & 61 and Best of 2009 and 2011. Adele her last 2 songs not having the succes she got with some others. Rumour has it is close to be not liked/unknown like her song Cold shoulder (2th single) and Hometown glory (4th single) and Turning tables not get highter then number 15 and 13 weeks in Top 40. Rolling in the deep, Set Fire to the rain are her greatest hits with 29 and 23 weeks in the list and the only 2 songs we end on number 1. Someone like you you stay 25 weeks in the list and highest position is number 3.

Lyrics:
    This is the end
    Hold your breath and count to ten
    Feel the earth move and then
    Hear my heart burst again

For this is the end
    I've drowned and dreamed this moment
    So overdue, I owe them
    Swept away, I'm stolen

Let the sky fall, when it crumbles
    We will stand tall
    Face it all together

We will stand tall
    Face it all together
    At skyfall

Skyfall is where we start
    A thousand miles and poles apart
    When worlds collide, and days are dark
    You may have my number, you can take my name
    But you'll never have my heart

We will stand tall
    Face it all together

We will stand tall
    Face it all together
    At skyfall

Where you go I go,
    What you see I see
    I know I'll never be me, without the security
    Are your loving arms
    Keeping me from harm
    Put your hand in my hand
    And we'll stand

We will stand tall
    Face it all together

We will stand tall
    Face it all together
    At skyfall

Let the sky fall
    We will stand tall
    At skyfall
  • The more I see the lyric video, the more I think it's at least based on the title sequence. Daniel Kleinman described it as being more "psychological" and closer to the beginning it looks like there are (very out of focus) Rorschach blotches morphing in the background, and I can also make out some upside down silhouettes walking, and then finally the PPK falling into the sand at the end.
    M_Balje wrote:
    Graves,

The Top 50 is only based on downloads, when i am talking about charts i prefer the Top 40. As said in other thread already i stil need to reap, singles don't exist any more. Top 40 is based on downloads, how much time it is playing on the radio and or it be yused on compilation cd. I haven heard Adele yet, but mabey it wil and then it be first time since Madonna. Cornell and Alicia Keys not playing on the radio, couple of days back i heard Another Way to Die for the first time on the radio.

Saying: 'Skyfall' is already the most succesfull James Bond title song in Holland ever since Pierce Brosnan was announced as the new James Bond 007 in 1994'' go to far. GE, TMND, Twine and DAD all of them release a single, you made your comment based on downloads only what i wil never accepted.

I hoped Adele wil be seen in Paul De Leeuw his show who i expect wil start over a couple of weeks, she visit his show a couple of times earlier in her career. But i read this week she is pregnent and Eon don't give dam about the number with not at it on the soundtrack i don't expect it and wil be disapointed again. So the playing of the song should come from radio stations, but on this moment my expections of that are very low.

I also hope there wil at the song on Hitzone 64 or Best of 2012, Seven times she be on a regulier hitzone. Hitzone 45 & 48, Hitzone 56-57 & 58, Hitzone 60 & 61 and Best of 2009 and 2011.

Lyrics:
    This is the end
    Hold your breath and count to ten
    Feel the earth move and then
    Hear my heart burst again

For this is the end
    I've drowned and dreamed this moment
    So overdue, I owe them
    Swept away, I'm stolen

We will stand tall
    Face it all together

We will stand tall
    Face it all together
    At skyfall

Skyfall is where we start
    A thousand miles and poles apart
    When worlds collide, and days are dark
    You may have my number, you can take my name
    But you'll never have my heart

We will stand tall
    Face it all together

We will stand tall
    Face it all together
    At skyfall

Where you go I go,
    What you see I see
    I know I'll never be me, without the security
    Are your loving arms
    Keeping me from harm
    Put your hand in my hand
    And we'll stand

We will stand tall
    Face it all together

We will stand tall
    Face it all together
    At skyfall

Let the sky fall
    We will stand tall
    At skyfall

Even in Nederlands Balje ;-):

"Iedere zaterdag van 15:00 tot 18:00 presenteert Bart Arens van de TROS op 3FM de populairste muziek van Nederland in de Mega Top 50. Het gaat hier om de best verkochte, meest gedownloade en meest gedraaide singles van Nederland.

De Mega Top 50 wordt samengesteld door SoundAware aan de hand van verkoop- en downloadcijfers van GfK en de airplay die de nummers krijgen op radio, TV en Internet. Airplay wordt o.a. gemeten op 3FM, Radio 538, Q-music, Radio 2, Sky Radio, 100% NL, Slam FM en MTV."
    The more I see the lyric video, the more I think it's at least based on the title sequence. Daniel Kleinman described it as being more "psychological" and closer to the beginning it looks like there are (very out of focus) Rorschach blotches morphing in the background, and I can also make out some upside down silhouettes walking, and then finally the PPK falling into the sand at the end.

Look even closer. Chinese dragons, stags, fire, ..., it´s all there.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've just heard Skyfall. Once yesterday, and twice today (thanks Heart F.M, grrr). I must say it's a grower....
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    So, for the first time in - what? - surely more than ten years I'll actually be eagerly anticipating finding out who's the UK #1 this evening. Will Adele take Bond to the top of the charts in his homeland for the very first time? Quite the achievement if she does - and those in the know reckon it'll happen too. We'll see.

Oh, and the tune ain't bad either, of course. Rather reminiscent of both Tom Jones' Thunderball and especially Garbage's The World Is Not Enough. Sort of reminds me of kd lang's Surrender too - similar torch song style, I guess. Anyway, not sure I like it quite as much as You Know My Name, but aside from that one, it's probably the best in years - in years... :)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 418
    They just played Skyfall on one of the tv music cable channels - 'Heat'..along with 9 other Bond theme's as part of 'Heat's top 10 Bond songs.....
    10 - Tomorrow Never Dies
    09 - Another Way to Die
    08 - The Living Daylights
    07 - We Have All The Time In The World
    06 - For Your Eyes Only
    05 - Die Another Day
    04 - Licence to Kill
    03 - A View to a Kill
    02 - Skyfall
    01 - Goldeneye

I dont agree with a few of thier choice's, but it was still great to watch 10 Bond singer's video's back to back, and that was the first time i'd seen and heard Adele's on my television...
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Zorin61 wrote:
    They just played Skyfall on one of the tv music cable channels - 'Heat'..along with 9 other Bond theme's as part of 'Heat's top 10 Bond songs.....
    10 - Tomorrow Never Dies
    09 - Another Way to Die
    06 - For Your Eyes Only
    05 - Die Another Day
    04 - Licence to Kill
    03 - A View to a Kill
    02 - Skyfall
    01 - Goldeneye

I dont agree with a few of thier choice's, but it was still great to watch 10 Bond singer's video's back to back, and that was the first time i'd seen and heard Adele's on my television...

Did they play a video for Skyfall?
    Sandy wrote:
    Zorin61 wrote:
    10 - Tomorrow Never Dies
    09 - Another Way to Die
    06 - For Your Eyes Only
    05 - Die Another Day
    04 - Licence to Kill
    03 - A View to a Kill
    02 - Skyfall
    01 - Goldeneye

Did they play a video for Skyfall?

They played what we have all seen, with the words as Adele was singing. It looks and sounds much better on my big screen though, compared to listening to it on my laptop, and it really stood out, when being played with all the other Bond songs..
    are they gonna release a 'proper' video.?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    They'll have to, I would say. Every other Bond film has had one since music videos were invented.

Maybe this coming week will see it released. Don't forget we'll also still waiting for the theatrical poster.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Here's a list of songs I might put in the same box as Skyfall:

* DAF
    * GE
    * Surrender
    * No Good About Goodbye
    * I'll Take It all

There's no logic behind this though, just my musical feeling for what it's worth. It surprises me how in tone, rhythm, orchestration and vocal power this one is fairly unique among the official theme songs. Let's see (to back up my case at least a little bit...):

note: the following is mostly IMHO and perhaps not always well-put as my technical knowledge of music is extremely thin.

FRWL: much slower
    GF: campier and funnier in tone, different pacing
    TB: different vocal power but overall a close one this
    YOLT: slower
    OHMSS: faster, instrumental
    LALD: much rockier
    TMWTGG: faster, brassier, louder
    NDIB: much slower
    MR: much slower
    FYEO: much slower
    OP: much slower
    AVTAK: faster, rockier
    TLD: faster, rockier
    LTK: slower, more '80s pop'
    TND: different style, tone, ... wouldn't you agree?
    TWINE: rockier
    DAD: much more electronic and also faster
    YKMN: rockier
    AWTD: different 'species' of music (and of everything else...)

Again, my case isn't strong since I fail to put things in the right technical terms and since this is by no means scientifically verifiable.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Maybe this coming week will see it released. Don't forget we'll also still waiting for the theatrical poster.

I thought that crap photoshopped gunbarrel one was the final poster?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:

I thought that crap photoshopped gunbarrel one was the final poster?

No, they're UK exclusive posters. You just have to look at past films theatrical posters to know we'll receive something grander. Also, the poster you mention has a release date on it, something theatrical posters never have.
    If you're interested, the announcement of the Top 10 in the UK Chart is being announced on BBC Radio 1. The DJ said it's in the Top 10, which tells me it probably hasn't got #1, or even Top 5.
    In at Number 4.........not bad for barely 24 hours of sales to get counted in the week!

Hopefully it will get the momentum in the next week for the number one spot?
  • Straight to No 1 :)