Skyfall would have been a better movie if Pierce was the lead in lieu of Daniel

12345679»

Comments

SF shows perfectly how far removed we are from the days of Sean's Bond. Back in the Cold War human agents were valued because they were all we had, but now they're getting shuffled out of service with robots in their places. Back then enemies were known with ease and could be pointed to in a file or on a map, but now the worst terrorist can be a kid with a keyboard in a random, nameless location. And let's not even get started on the heavy surveillance...

Thankfully, no matter how much the times change Bond always stays the same. To borrow a phrase from Sherlock Holmes, he's the one fixed point in a changing age. No matter what villains rise to ruin us Bond will always be there as the maverick willing to cut through red tape and misbehave to make the decisions he knows need to be made, no matter what M or anyone else says.

You sound like Judi Dench ;)
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    SF shows perfectly how far removed we are from the days of Sean's Bond. Back in the Cold War human agents were valued because they were all we had, but now they're getting shuffled out of service with robots in their places. Back then enemies were known with ease and could be pointed to in a file or on a map, but now the worst terrorist can be a kid with a keyboard in a random, nameless location. And let's not even get started on the heavy surveillance...

Thankfully, no matter how much the times change Bond always stays the same. To borrow a phrase from Sherlock Holmes, he's the one fixed point in a changing age. No matter what villains rise to ruin us Bond will always be there as the maverick willing to cut through red tape and misbehave to make the decisions he knows need to be made, no matter what M or anyone else says.

Very well written sir. And I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. Both characters can adapt to what is thrown at them. Benedict Cumberbatch -although I know Holmes has a long filmic history- is a very exciting actor and my favourite series of recent years.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I think there's a place for field agents. In fact, I believe the incoming US Administration intends to increase on-site CIA field operatives and cut back on office staff at Langley.

Series like the always excellent (and somewhat realistic) Homeland show that there's no substitute for the human element in espionage. So I hope they don't continue to indulge this automation vs. 00 narrative which they started on in SF and continued with in SP. It's a bit redundant.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    On Topic: No.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm afraid the reason we are so far off topic is because the original thread question was answered conclusively very early on.

At least from my perspective, the answer to the question is a resounding 'no!'.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wait, is there anyone that felt SF would've fared better if Pierce was playing Bond? I figured if I couldn't agree with it, surely nobody else could. As I've said, one of the highlights of SF's is undoubtedly its acting.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't know if it would have fared better but I wouldn't mind seeing a version of Skyfall with Pierce. Anyone got tickets to the Mirror Universe?
    Not a chance that SF would be better with PB than DC..it's a cracking film as it is .
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Haha can you imagine all the Painface moments we'd be getting if Broz was in Skyfall?

-Fighting Patrice on the train
    -Working out at MI6
    -Cutting the shrapnel out of his chest
    -Holding Patrice over the tower ledge
    -Grappling the goon in the komodo lair
    -Running through the London streets
    -Bonus underwater painface at Skyfall lake
    -Super maximum painface as M dies

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh, my! This is hilarious!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yeah, PB in SF....

.... uh...

... Uhm...

NO
    Sean's amazing talents are often credited to others. It was all Young who made him Bond, for instance. People miss the fact that you can dress any man up in a suit like Bond wears in Dr. No, but it takes a very special actor to be able to move like an animal in the suit, and to give a performance that is rich in its subtlety as Sean provided.

Sean's performances in Dr. No and From Russia with Love alone are some of the greatest performances in cinema, period. The way he transmits so much about Bond to us just with how he moves in a room or uses his eyes to let us into his head is masterful. The little character moments he'd give, like grabbing Ms. Taro by the hair and towel to mask his anger at her deceit as lustful foreplay, or the way he talked to Dr. No at dinner, feigning cordiality while fighting the urge to unleash himself on the man, are immaculate moments that reverberate with meaning and iconography. He and Shaw made the last act of From Russia with Love not only the best section of a Bond film ever, but one of the greatest cinematic moments of all time as they play a long chess game with each other that finishes with their explosive fight.

To this day no other actor has been able to hit the range Sean did, just as nobody has worn a suit like him, seduced a woman as he effortlessly could, or be as drop dead manly, intellectual in strategy, alluring, magnetic or formidable. If I had to have one Bond to protect me, he'd be my number 1 choice by a long, long way. When it came to his Bond you knew he'd always find a way out of it somehow, simply because he was that good.

Bravo! Wonderful post!
    peter wrote: »
    yeah, PB in SF....

.... uh...

... Uhm...

NO

LOL!