Rumour: 007 to return to the 1960's?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Take a look at any of the big set pieces within the last few Bonds and then imagine how you would convert that to the 60s, the cost and hastle would be enormous,just not happening (city centres, airports, car chases etc etc)

Yeah, good point! But the new Man From Uncle film was set in the 60s. I haven't seen the film. Perhaps it's easier to recreate the 60s than we think? If there is any truth to this rumor the powers-that-be must think the budget can cover a 60s retro Bond film. But on paper it sounds like it would cost a lot!

It's irrelevant anyway as it's not going to happen.
    Clearly the story is a load of nonsense but I for one would welcome period Bond 100%. For me the modern digital technology - mobile phones, earpieces etc has removed a lot of the glamour. Bond definitely belongs in the 60s. Or better still, trace him back to the forties and fifties.

Is literary Bond supposed to have had a WW2 war record or is he too young for that?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The second half of the 50's would be the right thing to do.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Take a look at any of the big set pieces within the last few Bonds and then imagine how you would convert that to the 60s, the cost and hastle would be enormous,just not happening (city centres, airports, car chases etc etc)

Yeah, good point! But the new Man From Uncle film was set in the 60s. I haven't seen the film. Perhaps it's easier to recreate the 60s than we think? If there is any truth to this rumor the powers-that-be must think the budget can cover a 60s retro Bond film. But on paper it sounds like it would cost a lot!

Recreating the '60s is easy. Uncle did it very well yes, and so did X-Men First Class, but I don't see the point we already have 6 extremely well crafted '60's Bond films.
    I am serious. A '70s revisit would be more interesting. ie a more hardened Bond navigating the '70s in place of Rog's eyebrow raising efforts.

I admire your definition of easy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Getafix wrote: »
    Clearly the story is a load of nonsense but I for one would welcome period Bond 100%. For me the modern digital technology - mobile phones, earpieces etc has removed a lot of the glamour. Bond definitely belongs in the 60s. Or better still, trace him back to the forties and fifties.

Is literary Bond supposed to have had a WW2 war record or is he too young for that?

He was in the navy, and joined the Secret Service before the war.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,425

He was in the navy, and joined the Secret Service before the war.

Now there's an origin story...

CR royally screwed any vestigial timeline (not that I care) so going back and exploring literary Bond's true origins in pre-war Europe would be fantastic.
    The Battle of Britain movie was made in 1969. I wince every time I see the 1960s plastic doorbell on the front door of a cottage. With eagle eyed Bond fans all over the globe, we would have a field day spotting the errors. (and, of course , get taken out of the movie), its not easy
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,068
    60's is too much. 70's is better but why not just fill the gap (in 24 TV series episode style of hour segments if necessary) with a gritty TD type performance in the casm left after LTK and GE with the next Bond!!

The nearest to go to an earpiece is a silly whistle jeyring and stay pre internet!
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512
    andmcit wrote: »
    60's is too much. 70's is better but why not just fill the gap (in 24 TV series episode style of hour segments if necessary) with a gritty TD type performance in the casm left after LTK and GE with the next Bond!!

The nearest to go to an earpiece is a silly whistle jeyring and stay pre internet!

The earpiece isn't a result of the period, it's a narrative device. A spy would not go about his business with an earpiece, so it's an easy fix. In fact, I've seen nothing to suggest they are in operation in SP. The trick is striking a balance between tech and tradition. Making a period film is not the answer.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If technology is the problem, have him set in the 19th Century.
  • RC7RC7
    If technology is the problem, have him set in the 19th Century.

You can swerve tech, or at least suppress it. I think modern tech can lend itself to Bond as long as it's not Bond using it.
    Yes, without the ear piece , M could not order "take the bloody shot" which sets up the basis of the friction between Bond and M. It is a tool. If they had not had earpieces, very few would have complained about the lack of tec in that sequence. f But it would have made a nassive difference to the narrative of the movie
    patb wrote: »
    Yes, without the ear piece , M could not order "take the bloody shot" which sets up the basis of the friction between Bond and M. It is a tool. If they had not had earpieces, very few would have complained about the lack of tec in that sequence. f But it would have made a nassive difference to the narrative of the movie

Technology is used in such a lame way in SF - it's a substitute for interesting writing. The use of the hacker cliche is so done to death , unimaginative and plain embarrassing. It is just the kind of plodding, 90s TV show plot device I would expect from Purvis and Wade.
    Its hard because IT is my area so I can see it's all rubbish but I can't see it from jo public's perspective. In my experience , they know very very little about IT so the hack story goes by without being questioned.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Its hard because IT is my area so I can see it's all rubbish but I can't see it from jo public's perspective. In my experience , they know very very little about IT so the hack story goes by without being questioned.

I don't know anything about IT but it still strikes me as monumentally lazy plotting. Whenever I see a hacking storyline I take it as a given that the plot is pile of steaming horse manure and the screenwriters are devoid of talent and/or ideas. In purvis and wades case, it's usually both.

Hacking plots should be banned. I was very disappointed that EON and Mendes allowed this tedious, hackneyed plot line into the movie.

Don't tell me you're talking about the Q incident.

Because that was so obviously wrong that you really don't have to know a lot about IT.
    That scene and the one with the flashlight (just to mention it) got quite a bit of laughter at the cinema. It was insulting.

P+W should get punished for this. I say, one month without any smartphones, pc's, tablet etc. and furthermore one month no lights allowed in their homes, just flashlights.
    ;)

Because that was so obviously wrong that you really don't have to know a lot about IT.
    That scene and the one with the flashlight (just to mention it) got quite a bit of laughter at the cinema. It was insulting.

P+W should get punished for this. I say, one month without any smartphones, pc's, tablet etc. and furthermore one month no lights allowed in their homes, just flashlights.
    ;)

Flashlights are too good for P+W.

Seriously though, how did they ever get that gig? They've consistently produced some of the worst plots and dialogue ever committed to the screen.

;)

Seriously though, how did they ever get that gig? They've consistently produced some of the worst plots and dialogue ever committed to the screen.

And they are so full of themselves they even shamelessly recycled their own TWINE plot for Skyfall and didn't stop from stealing the Alec Trevelyan story as well to create the Silva story.
    I really wonder why this went unpunished by the critics, but then, I think anyway, they were all dazed by the hype of the Anniversary and EON's goodies.

;)

And they are so full of themselves they even shamelessly recycled their own TWINE plot for Skyfall and didn't stop from stealing the Alec Trevelyan story as well to create the Silva story.
    I really wonder why this went unpunished by the critics, but then, I think anyway, they were all dazed by the hype of the Anniversary and EON's goodies.

I was so happy after SF when it was announced EON would not be working with them any more. And now they're back again, as if there's literally no one else in the world capable of writing a Bind screenplay.

The plots and dialogue have been the Achilles heal of Bond movies for far too long. How we miss Maibaum.

They really need to find someone with more edge, humour and just basic writing talent.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I just heard this story and I think I smell something... That is about all I have to say until proven otherwise! I agree Getafix - really miss Maibaum's scripting contributions and those zingers Mackenziwic seemed to effortlessly throw in (even if I wasn't a fan of his plotting).
  • RC7RC7

;)

I think it's really easy to point the finger at P+W, and screenwriters inparticular. If a film is good it's because of the director. Bad and it's the writer/s fault. It's a complex process and for the bulk of their tenure I believe P+W have brought Fleming to the fore, with other 'meddlers' f****** it up on their behalf.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Aren't P+W the saviours of Spectre (Logan being showcased as the baddie?). To be fair - I was never crazy for P+W dialogue, but their story/plot work is generally solid (providing the director doesn't demand a bunch of silly rewrites at the last minute - as has been the case). Does anyone know why Feirstein never returned (didn't he do some work on TWINE)?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    So that bit about Q and the breadcrumbs and the hacking was all farfetched!? Say what!
    And here I thought it all made half arsed sense.
    I just lapped it up.
    Actually,I'm just having fun with this thread.
    I want movie Bond to stay in the present, even if they take big liberties with the tech.
    But period Bond on HBO could be real interesting.
    Eon needs to branch out and sidetrack into the TV world, as well as the big screen blockbusters.
    Satorious wrote: »
    Aren't P+W the saviours of Spectre (Logan being showcased as the baddie?). To be fair - I was never crazy for P+W dialogue, but their story/plot work is generally solid (providing the director doesn't demand a bunch of silly rewrites at the last minute - as has been the case). Does anyone know why Feirstein never returned (didn't he do some work on TWINE)?

That will depend on how much I rate Spectre.
    The fact that it uses the word "reboot" frightens me. Why do they believe the series will need a "reboot" following Craig's departure? No role-of-007 turnover besides Brosnan to Craig featured a reboot, and the movies that featured the newcomer did more than enough to keep the series going.
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    I know I promised I won't post again for a long time, but I really have to comment on this rumour. :bz For now, I do believe that Bond will return to the 60s starting with Bond 25. What I don't believe is that Matthew Weiner will be heavily involved with this reboot. They probably just talked to him once or twice.

Some people here are saying that this will never happen because they wouldn't be able to use product placements in the 60s , and that without product placements there are no Bond films. This is simply nonsense. Many big budget movies don't rely heavily on product placements, like Indiana Jones, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. A Bond film without product placements can be done. Others are saying that they would never mess with the formula. Well, it was Michael G. Wilson who said that they do not believe in the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". As for "Bond has to move with the times", sure, he does, but what's wrong with a few movies set in the past?

MI6-HQ claims that this is "total hogwash"... It's safe to say the producers already have some plans for the future, and it's also safe to say MI6-HQ has no idea what those plans are. So no, I do not believe this rumour is necessarily ""total hogwash".

Good point, but consider this: If you were an investor, which would you rather invest your money in -- the main Bond "here and now" franchise or a '60s period piece? Which is most likely to give you a good return on your money, bearing in mind a '60s period piece is likely to appeal to few but a handful of hard core die-hard Fleming nuts?

True, sci-fi and fantasy movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings operate on large budgets without the need for many of the commercial trappings of contemporaneously-set movies, but they are funded in an entirely different way. In the case of Star Wars, much of the backing was provided by religious organisations, ditto Indiana Jones. Lord of the Rings had an already massive fan-base to convince backers that it would be a good idea to part with their cash.

• Satorious wrote: »
    Aren't P+W the saviours of Spectre (Logan being showcased as the baddie?).

Well, with the leaks, we can be quite confident about what P&W were asked to deal with. In two months we can discuss it (if this forum has not exploded :) )
    Like the idea myself. Could Tim Dalton be cast as an older Bond to book end it?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Bond to return to the 60's Only if the title is called "A Cold Day in Hell".