What Would You Change in the Bond films?

2»

Comments

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I would keep Sean Connery on until 1974, give him a producer credit--like Craig got--in 1968, and let him end on the man with the golden gun. No lazenby. No Moore. You get Dalton in 1977, go onward with Brosnan in the late 80s. Does mgm still go under? Likely. It's a crappy studio no matter the timeline
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    ...then Bond would be dead. Audience too from boredom.

Besides if Connery had stayed would have been old hairy fat guy.

Danny Devito would take over in CR.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Bond was close to dead in 85 when roger Moore finally was pried away from the part
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm sure this is unoriginal but I wouldn't change much; just have Connery do OHMSS and make many of the films closer to the novels (Diamonds, Moonraker). Otherwise we have a wonderfully entertaining and varied franchise.
    I would keep Sean Connery on until 1974, give him a producer credit--like Craig got--in 1968, and let him end on the man with the golden gun. No lazenby. No Moore. You get Dalton in 1977, go onward with Brosnan in the late 80s. Does mgm still go under? Likely. It's a crappy studio no matter the timeline

We've come a world away from my intention of removing one insert if I was the editor on Diamonds Are Forever lol :)

I have another couple - Dr. No, FRWL, GF, LALD, TMWTGG all shot in 2.35:1 Panavision.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 582
    I'd also change the gunbarrels of QoS and SF to the traditional Maurice Binder design, hope that's what we get at the start of SPECTRE.
    In 50 years time I hope I'll still be able to have fun spotting Moore's stunt doubles in AVTAK. :D

I've just got a bigger screen to watch my movies on and it's now even more noticeable!

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2015 Posts: 7,526
    tigers99 wrote: »
    I'd also change the gunbarrels of QoS and SF to the traditional Maurice Binder design, hope that's what we get at the start of SPECTRE.

Agreed, although I personally loved when they animated it as with Goldeneye.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 754
    I would swap the 1989-1995 hiatus for a 1989-2006 hiatus.[/

Agree with erasing Brosnan era. I would swap the years though and make it 95 to 06 and get a couple more Dalton movies in the early 90s.

Also, OHMSS, Connery for sure and replace Telly Savalas also
    There's only two things that I'd really want to change. The first would be, as others have already said, would be to have had Connery do OHMSS.

More Dalton films, whether it meant taking over earlier for Moore or extending his run into the early 90s, would be the other.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,333
    Well, we can all do a retro-recon, @dalton. I therefore suggest hiring either Oliver Tobias (screen-tested for Bond) or Lewis Collins for FYEO, jettison the Maggie Thatcher parrot stuff, move heaven and earth to hire Terrence Young or Peter Hunt, who both turned down the chance to direct FYEO, get Hamlisch or George Martin (or even Jerry Goldsmith, Mancini, Lalo Schifrin) back to score the movie and replace Sheena Easton with rock band Queen. No need for Dalton as Tobias or Collins would've done the job much earlier and given 007 a head start back into more serious fare ;)

But on a more achievable note, I'd restore all the scenes the censors saw fit to cut and reinstate them for the DVD market. LTK and GE have done this already, more needs to be done with the classics before these scenes are lost forever.
    tigers99 wrote: »

Agreed, although I personally loved when they animated it as with Goldeneye.

Yeah agreed, modernise it but keept the rifling look like Binder's

• edited October 2015 Posts: 1,021
    Replace the atrocious score from GE with something much, much better.
    Replace the atrocious score from GE with something much, much better.

I can see why you'd want that. I don't know, I've always quite like the GE score, controversial I know, and I do prefer my Bond scores orchestral and John Barry-esque.

I'm glad they re-did the music for the tank chase though!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I try to keep an open mind (where possible) on these things and so I won't really change anything to date. They've all added to the franchise in some way or another (even the silly bits).

Having said that, if I was to be really honest.......there is one thing I would change at this point............and .............

That is a 'certain song' (lyrics and singer) that we have yet to hear fully with the film credits.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I try to keep an open mind (where possible) on these things and so I won't really change anything to date. They've all added to the franchise in some way or another (even the silly bits).

Having said that, if I was to be really honest.......there is one thing I would change at this point............and .............

That is a 'certain song' (lyrics and singer) that we have yet to hear fully with the film credits.

I like your honesty! :) I can see why people don't like it, I was very sceptical when I heard Sam Smith was doing it, really don't like all that X Factor esque fake emotional singing. But I really like it - and my musical diet is worlds away from Sam Smith type stuff.

It'll grow on you ... maybe!
    bondsum wrote: »
    But on a more achievable note, I'd restore all the scenes the censors saw fit to cut and reinstate them for the DVD market. LTK and GE have done this already, more needs to be done with the classics before these scenes are lost forever.

I think that this would be a very good idea and one that would be absolutely achievable and offer up something new to the fans while also not really overtly changing anything or trampling on the artistic vision of the filmmakers, as it wasn't their choice to cut such scenes in the first place.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Great idea. OHMSS chase scene in London restored please!!!!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    OK. Time for me to look at Spectre and suggest what I would have done differently to craft the film to my liking.

1. I would have preferred that Spectre be a new entity, independent of Quantum. Perhaps Quantum is now a defunct operation, but with splintered pieces out there for the taking. Spectre has swooped in to pick up those pieces. It could have been established early on (in the Mexico City hotel room) that Sciarra is interrogating old Quantum members, wanting to know the whereabouts of other members, wanting know about moles and previous intel.

2. No Blofeld-Bond connection.

3. In regards to #1 (and I mentioned this in the review thread): perhaps Mr. White was in the hotel room and that is something Bond stumbles upon. He hears their conversation, hears that someone or some thing is looking to assume Quantum's old role. White is maybe being interrogated. During the exchange, Bond hears something that becomes a clue, maybe Sciarra shows White his ring finger (says something like, "This is who I work for"), and this is what gives Bond the idea of grabbing it off his finger during the fight. Who knows. But you get the gist.

4. Eliminate the air bag

5. Establish early on that Denbigh has been dispatched by Spectre to operate as a mole. Trying to make this a big "reveal" is simply insulting. We all knew it, so be up front about it. This would add tension. The audience knows who he is, but M and the rest don't.

6. A little more Hinx.

7. The film's finale needed to take place at the desert lair, somehow, some way.

But most of the film, in terms of settings and general plot, work great. If I think of anything else (major or minor) I'll add them later.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Skyfall...

Severine survives and goes back to London.

She releases Silva from the prison, not his laptop, out of blind love for him - her enticing Bond in was all a trap. He then shoots her (gets rid of a loose end) and the film continues as normal.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mallory wrote: »
    Skyfall...

She releases Silva from the prison, not his laptop, out of blind love for him - her enticing Bond in was all a trap. He then shoots her (gets rid of a loose end) and the film continues as normal.

Would've made it better for me, too, on top of explaining away yet another ridiculous moment in the film. Not sure how they would've justified having Severine logically break Silva out, though, past some hacking she does. Suppose the film would have to allude at that tidbit, too, lest we assume everyone is an "elite hacker" in the Bond world.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Tone down the comic humour in DAF, TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR, OP. Remove Jinx, CGI, Invisible car and John Cleese from DAD......oh I forgot Vlad and the Robocop suit too!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    This thread should be called the George Lucas thread. I have read the thread and it reads like some revisionist history. I don't think classics (even bad ones) should be tampered with. Lets not insert CGI effects, new shots or even different cuts of the films. To do this does a disservice.

It maddens me when people play with and change their films just cause now they have the tech to do it. Now you can all heap on the derision and heat!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's just theoretical discussion.
    I was looking it from a what should be different from the start view point, rather than a modern day edit.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Skyfall...

Would've made it better for me, too, on top of explaining away yet another ridiculous moment in the film. Not sure how they would've justified having Severine logically break Silva out, though, past some hacking she does. Suppose the film would have to allude at that tidbit, too, lest we assume everyone is an "elite hacker" in the Bond world.

Not that hard. A big red 'open the prison' button on the wall would suffice. Then the alarms go off like crazy. Bond and Q are hacking the laptop as in the movie during this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Skyfall...

Not that hard. A big red 'open the prison' button on the wall would suffice. Then the alarms go off like crazy. Bond and Q are hacking the laptop as in the movie during this.

typing-1-1.gif