What Would You Change in the Bond films?

I was watching the Inside Diamonds Are Forver documentary last night and thought once again about how ridiculous the insert of Bond somehow flipping the Ford Mach 1 on to its other wheels is. Made me think that I wouldn't have bothered with it because it just draws attention to the fact that that there is a continiuity error with the two shots of the car standing on both the left hand side wheels and then the right hand wheels.

What would you change? I'd also put Surrender over the Tomorrow Never Dies titles.

Comments

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    TMWTGG slide whistle...
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    TMWTGG slide whistle...

With you on that one, I don't know what John Barry was thinking. But he was a very good composer and he's from Yorkshire so I'll let him off.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,185
    TMWTGG slide whistle...

Also the tarzan yell in Octopussy, i would say a lot of totally ridculous soundeffects can be found especially in the moore movies, that were just played for a cheap laugh...

Also i would love to get rid of Sheriff Pepper.
    Utterly pointless addition.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 582
    00Agent wrote: »
    TMWTGG slide whistle...

Also the tarzan yell in Octopussy, i would say a lot of totally ridculous soundeffects can be found especially in the moore movies, that were just played for a cheap laugh...

Also i would love to get rid of Sheriff Pepper.
    Utterly pointless addition.

With you on the Tarzan yell. I watched Diamonds Are Forever again when I got it on Blu-Ray and it's never been one of my favourites - consistently in my bottom 3. But I couldn't help thinking there's a really good film wanting to come out. I found I was intrigued by the idea of Bond hunting down the diamond smuggling pipeline. If it was completely re-written (and I mean re-written) without the campiness and a Bond performance like Dalton or Craig this could actually have been quite a good thriller.
    tigers99 wrote: »
    With you on the Tarzan yell. I watched Diamonds Are Forever again when I got it on Blu-Ray and it's never been one of my favourites - consistently in my bottom 3. But I couldn't help thinking there's a really good film wanting to come out. I found I was intrigued by the idea of Bond hunting down the diamond smuggling pipeline. If it was completely re-written (and I mean re-written) without the campiness and a Bond performance like Dalton or Craig this could actually have been quite a good thriller.

Totally agree. I feel like this about a lot of Bond movies, especially the Moore ones but also at least the last two connery flicks. I remember that the DAF novel was completely different from the movie, but i don't know much about it since i haven't read it in years.

Same goes for the movie since i always skip it :D
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Never ever change a thing, I say.
    A series like Bond needs to be exposed for what it is and was, warts and all so we can relish and enjoy the way it has evolved over the decades.

Even changing the slide whistle on TMWTGG is tampering with what that film was doing in 1974 to sell the series.

In theory there are hundreds of things we could do to improve the films, but Bond is Bond is Bond. The films in 1969, 1979 and 1989 have so little in common, yet they were all about where Bond was at the end of each of those decades.

I'd change nothing, but having said that... I would add Plenty's scenes to DAF to explain why she died in the pool. ;)
    NicNac wrote: »
    A series like Bond needs to be exposed for what it is and was, warts and all so we can relish and enjoy the way it has evolved over the decades.

Even changing the slide whistle on TMWTGG is tampering with what that film was doing in 1974 to sell the series.

In theory there are hundreds of things we could do to improve the films, but Bond is Bond is Bond. The films in 1969, 1979 and 1989 have so little in common, yet they were all about where Bond was at the end of each of those decades.

I'd change nothing, but having said that... I would add Plenty's scenes to DAF to explain why she died in the pool. ;)

Very good point, and in the end we can't change anything anyway.

I was thinking about one thing i would have changed about brosnans run (my favorite next to craig) and i had a rather minor thing on top of my mind. The contract they made with BWM... But then again, because of that the reveal of an aston martin in DAD was so much sweeter.
    The AM was my favorite part about DAD,especially the duell that will be redone now in Spectre...and yes, i even liked the invisibility. Come on people, it will only be sci fi for so long... Lets face it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I would not cut out anything of any Bond movie, you can't cut out memories.

What I would do is re-edit Quantum Of Solace, completely.
    It is possible to do it and it could make that movie Top 10 material instead of being one of the worst in the series.

Re-do the CGI scenes in DAD, entirely possible as we are speaking of less than 2 minutes worth of film.

There may be other special effects in various Bond movies that could be improved.
    Maybe that ridiculous Team America moment in TSWLM when the speedboat is jettisoned from the underwater station.

The many fake explosions in DAF which are so cringeworthy.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,131
    I would cut out the Jaws romance in MR. Terrible. I would also move the gunbarrel to the beginning of QoS and SkyFall.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'd like to see them cut out a year between films, and get back to a two
    year gap. :D
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Good idea.
    It sometimes bothers me that in many moore films, which are otherwise great, there are really campy, out of place scenes, tarzan yell, dumb music in the avtak pre title sequence (which really annoys me because it makes the scene unwatchable) etc. which I think could be cut easily and I would do that. I wouldnt want to tamper with the films very much though. As for J.W. Pepper, I like him in LALD, he is annoying in TMWTGG but that would be a lot of cutting.
    nothing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,690
    The day EON releases past Bond films with altered sound effects/cgi-ing stuff out etc, is the day I call it quits on being a Bond fan.

What I would do is re-edit Quantum Of Solace, completely.
    It is possible to do it and it could make that movie Top 10 material instead of being one of the worst in the series.

If theres one thing i could change about any bond film, THIS would be it.
    That would be a dream come true. I was hoping so long for some kind of directors/Extended cut or something like that, but nope... Just have to accept it i guess
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The day EON releases past Bond films with altered sound effects/cgi-ing stuff out etc, is the day I call it quits on being a Bond fan.
    The ultimate editions of the first 7 Bond films have some new sounds added here and there. :p Nothing that noticeable to the untrained ear.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Never hire Glen
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Murdock wrote: »
    The ultimate editions of the first 7 Bond films have some new sounds added here and there. :p Nothing that noticeable to the untrained ear.

I meant if they remove the tarzan yell, or the metal sound when Bond kicks Jaws, or the slide whistle. Sure they are awful but IMO I can't imagine these not being in the films. They're part of the Bond world. ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I'm always tempted to point out the Tarzan yell and slide whistle as things I'd most definitely cut out, but at the end of the day, I wouldn't change a thing. Besides, I guess the poor decisions made in one film are lessons learned for the next one, otherwise we'd have another daft sound effect next time Bond corkscrews a boat or helicopter- and look at TWINE- where Bond spends half the film swinging around on ropes and chains and not a single Lord of the Jungle reference.

I agree, I don't advocate changing the films as they are. I'm not for a George Lucas redoing of the Bonds. I really don't like the way the new 5.1 remixes have added stuff. Just creatively if you had been there at the time what would you have done.

I agree - thing ia they already have - the 5.1 remixes have sounds that aren't from the original mixes.
    Moonraker:
    Double take pidgeon
    BA Ad gag
    Chang in Piano
    Jaws flapping like a bird
    Jaws romance

DAD
    The whole kitesurfing CGI cliff scene
    Halle Berry

OHMSS:
    Some of Lazenbys obviously recorded later dialogue. Mainly gags
    "this never happened to the other fella"

• DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    tigers99 wrote: »

I agree, I don't advocate changing the films as they are. I'm not for a George Lucas redoing of the Bonds. I really don't like the way the new 5.1 remixes have added stuff. Just creatively if you had been there at the time what would you have done.

Even if they wanted to, I don't think Eon would change a thing -- and they could. These days CGI is so advanced, they could do pretty much what they wanted, but the one thing that sets Bond films apart from many movies these days is that Eon actively try to avoid CGI, if they can. All stunts have to be real (okay except for the ridiculous para-surfing stunt in DAD) and all actors have to be real. The notion of inserting, say, a CGI Moore Bond into, say, AVTAK, just to round out a particular scene would be pointless and wouldn't justify the cost. It would look ludicrous in the eyes of the fans of this movie -- it could even be seen as a mockery.

I agree with @NicNac and @tigers99 in that the movies delivered the goods in their own time, and should be respected for that despite our more modern perceptions of them. I've never been a fan of revisionist practices, both in the movies and (heaven forbid) history. Let the earlier Bond movies take us back to the times when they were made, so we can experience the delight of seeing life as it was then, not as a pale reflection of what we would like it to have been.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    The silly sound effects in a couple of Moore movies, the Beach Boys rip off in AVTAK and plenty of DAD, starting with Halle Berry.....
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,690
    In 50 years time I hope I'll still be able to have fun spotting Moore's stunt doubles in AVTAK. :D
    In 50 years time I hope I'll still be able to have fun spotting Moore's stunt doubles in AVTAK. :D

You lucky bastard :))
    In 50 years I'm ninety if I live to see that day and will probably whine about the good old days when movies were actually shown on screens and not projected in three dimensional 360 degree holographic booths :))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    QoS desperately needs to be re-edited.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,554
    I'd cut the following:
    1. "California Girls" in AVTAK pts
    2. Tarzan yell in OP
    3. Pepper in TMWTGG
    4. The climb to the top of construction crane in CR

I'd change the following:
    1. Fields's ridiculous sheet over the breasts pose in QoS (just have her lying in bed with Bond...simplicity, simplicity!); and also in QoS...
    2. Let Bond and Camille go a little longer in the plane scene; the dialogue gets cut way too short by the action.
    3. Brosnan's hairstyle in GE (the sides and back needed some trimming for a cleaner look, as seen in DAD)
    4. Special effects in the rocket's landing in the volcano in YOLT. (What happened there? Talk about cheap-looking: it's the kind of thing I'd expect out of a Godzilla movie.)
    5. Kanaga's doom in LALD. (Would have been better not to show it all. Just show Bond shoving the capsule in his mouth and let our imagination take it from there...as with the Carlos death scene in CR)
    6. The speeded-up boat sequence at the end of TB. (Unnecessary; if you can't do it right, then don't do it.)

Note: I wouldn't change anything about DAF. The film wants to be bad; and it is. Leave it that way. ;)
    At some point the special effects in many movies should be improved, re-done or altered. And why not. It helped the three original Star Wars movies a lot and just look how utterly fantastic Star Trek TNG looks on Blu-ray! Also Star Trek The Motion Picture is so much more fun with the new and improved special effects!

It wouldn't take much in most Bond movies. Just replace some of the obvious miniature model work with CGI and re-cut, re-do some of the more horrible things like the ridiculously unrealistic parachute jump, respectively the landing in QOS, the CGI surfing in DAD or that awful fake explosions in DAF.

And for people who don't want to see the changed movies they can always watch the originals like some Star Wars fans do.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would swap the 1989-1995 hiatus for a 1989-2006 hiatus.