Writing's on the Wall - Official Appreciation Thread

12346»

Comments

Great fight scene - but too much like TSWLM.
    You mean Bond v Jaws on the train ?
    Yes absolutely.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree.

I personally liked the kitchen bit at the end the best, because it appeared somewhat novel in comparison to what had come previously (which has had time to become very iconic in the mind of viewers).
    I wouldn't compare it to TSWLM fight. SP is far more intense and exciting! TSWLM fight is rather lame imho!
    I think its probably more comparable to Bond vs Grant in FRWL...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TSWLM's fight is played for laughs. SP's fight shows the vulnerability of Bond who is genuinely frightened in the face of Hinx, and it's the one of the biggest times in the Craig era where 007 came within distance of Death's door. That was the same feeling and consequence we get from the bloody and hard-hitting Bond and Grant fight in FRWL, which is what that sequence is actually paying tribute to, and not anything of the Moore variety.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Question:
    When Bond receives Madeleine at the diner table, is the car completely empty? Because the minute they start fighting, we don't hear any screams, we don't see any people running away, not even the waiter who brought them their drinks. The car is conveniently empty. Or am I missing something?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They were all SPECTRE agents.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Question:
    When Bond receives Madeleine at the diner table, is the car completely empty? Because the minute they start fighting, we don't hear any screams, we don't see any people running away, not even the waiter who brought them their drinks. The car is conveniently empty. Or am I missing something?

They couldn't afford to pay the extras - all the money was blown on the explosion :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Question:

They couldn't afford to pay the extras - all the money was blown on the explosion :)

Couldn t they just have invited all the extras to that compound before the explosion?
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339
    They were all SPECTRE agents.

That's a good theory,but if you look closely at one cut in the scene,im sure i see a white jacketed waiter duck down or flinch in the background,IIRC it might be when Bond attempts to kick a burning Hinx...i watched SP last night as well...(well it finished at 2.30am)....

DD does once again ,as we have done for so so many years,pick up what i thought as well....a ghost-carriage....not even a barman.....

Question:

The whole flipping train was empty during the fight besides Hinx, Bond and the girl. Like Rome was deserted in that exciting car chase (being cynical now I know) of how Bond escapes after torture because of an exploding watch and then is way too accurate in his shooting and blowing up shit. An Empty London and an empty HQ close to going online (go figure).

The whole frigging movie was devoid of regular people, even the harry Potter movies did add muggles as their actions involved ordinary lives. The Bond franchise seems to move away from ordinary people.

The Bond - Hinx fight lacked excitement for an action scene as did most of the actionscenes in SP.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 10,586
    The car is around half full before Hinx shows up. Then Bond fires his PPK 3 times, and it's a few seconds before we see the entirety of the car. Suddenly, most people are missing (there are a few flinching in the background), presumably gone to the opposite car as to avoid danger. I don't know about you, but I would sprint like the wind if I heard gunshot fire while having a nice quiet dinner on the Oriental Desert Express.
    jake24 wrote: »
    The car is around half full before Hinx shows up. Then Bond fires his PPK 3 times, and it's a few seconds before we see the entirety of the car. Suddenly, most people are missing (there are a few flinching in the background), presumably gone to the opposite car as to avoid danger. I don't know about you, but I would sprint like the wind if I heard gunshot fire while having a nice quiet dinner on the Oriental Desert Express.

Hahaha i like that one jake ...
    All they needed were a few more shots of some people running through the doors or falling over themselves to get out of the car, and this wouldn't even be an issue. A pity.

I guess all the extras were used up in Mexico (both real people and CGI people).
  • It is unrealistic that everyone seems to disappear like 'that', but I think atmospherically and artistically it is a good choice. I don't want to see dumb people tripping or screaming, it would take away from the fight which is one of the best parts of the movie.

Anyway, about Writing's on the Wall it's a very good song and I think it should have been woven into the score more but I suppose Newman isn't very good at that.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    There were a few people seen on the train but most of them likely bolted after the gunshots and seeing the incredible hulk break through the bathroom wall. It was an awesome fight. I loved it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Only SP would receive such nitpicks as "the train is empty too quickly after a loud gun shot erupts and a fight starts." I thought the logic in this was well clear.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I supposed you can get away with that on the train but the deserted Rome streets for that pedestrian car chase is never going to fly.

I felt none of the thrill in the actions squences in SP that I had in the previous 3, the QOS car chase leaves the SP one in the shade and it was a fraction of the time.

The train fight is the best action like scene alongside the PTS of the film.
    It's not so much that the train is empty too quickly, but also that some pivotal scenes in SP are devoid of many extras (including the new 'C' HQ on opening night, the car chase, the aforementioned train etc. etc.). This could have been intentional, and that's fine if it was a conscious creative choice, but the fact that many have noticed and commented on it here and elsewhere suggests that it's something which certain members feel uncomfortable out. Spectre does have a 'lonely' and 'deserted' feeling in many scenes, and this could very well have been the director's plan.

It's not just something that we only pick on here though. It's been mentioned in the broader news media and in non-Bond specific sites.

This review pretty much sums it up for me:
    http://www.thewrap.com/spectre-review-007-james-bond-daniel-craig-christoph-waltz/
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's not so much that the train is empty too quickly, but also that some pivotal scenes in SP are devoid of many extras (including the new 'C' HQ on opening night, the car chase, the aforementioned train etc. etc.). This could have been intentional, and that's fine if it was a conscious creative choice, but the fact that many have noticed and commented on it here and elsewhere suggests that it's something which certain members feel uncomfortable out. Spectre does have a 'lonely' and 'deserted' feeling in many scenes, and this could very well have been the director's plan.

It's not just something that we only pick on here though. It's been mentioned in the broader news media and in non-Bond specific sites.

This review pretty much sums it up for me:
    http://www.thewrap.com/spectre-review-007-james-bond-daniel-craig-christoph-waltz/

I'd have to agree pretty much on every point in that review. Picking over the corpse of previous films comment cuts to core of the problems with SPECTRE.

It almost feels like a tribute act at times, Mendes preoccupied with referencing the past completely forgetting most of it's pretty flat and lifeless.

The opportunity for the end was wasted, they could have dumped that 2nd climax in London and pumped the money into a big battle like finale, if they wanted to reference the past why not a YOLT, SWLM like ending with a DC spin on it.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    While your focus is on the train fight scene (which is my favourite scene of the movie!) I try to comment on the main topic here: I like the song. It's better than many other bond songs and It gets better with every time. The instrumental is great, the voice is unfamiliar high but works for me. It's a good bondian love song but it doesn't work to emphasise the danger that comes from SPECTRE. I think a lot of us expected a much more "threatening" theme.