Writing's on the Wall - Official Appreciation Thread

Comments

• edited September 2015 Posts: 95
    That's pretty cool. Thought for a second it was the scene from SF then realized it has the columns from the funeral in Rome from SP. I wonder if Kleinmans title sequence might do something similar in taking us through certain scenes of all of Craig's Bond films, but blending them together into a new scene and tying the 4 films together under the umbrella of SPECTRE as a possible link?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,312
    WOTW is headed to enter the UK single charts at number 1, better than SF or any Bond song before.

That's how "crappy" it is… :))
  • RC7RC7
    zebrafish wrote: »
    WOTW is headed to enter the UK single charts at number 1, better than SF or any Bond song before.

That't how "crappy" it is… :))

The irony being, the Bond fans bashing it all over social media look like bigger spoilt brats than the kids they assume he appeals to. Just taking one look at the 007 FB page suggests Bond fans are vacuous, self-entitled morons. Well done guys!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 95
    Great to see that others out there appreciate this song and that social media and its immediate reaction doesn't always have the final say in how something like this is received.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm happy it's a #1 despite all the claims from others, that it's a #2. :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The social media is swarmed with bored frustrated youths that vent their anger at anything.
    They are not the general public thank God.
    A lot of those haters use Sam Smith to live out their homophonia in the forums where they think all is fair game.

If Sam Smith was more like Robbie Williams no one would even complain about the falsetto singing.
  • EsotericEsoteric Poland
    Thanks to this song, i've started to actually listen to few other tracks by Sam. Listening and watching interviews with him, he is really a nice person which you would want to talk to.

By the way, he looks so different on the music video (actually, right now on the teaser). He has changed. Looks more badass in it.

I actually liked the song from my very first listen, then yesterday I finished an all night red eye flight from Auckland - Melbourne - Auckland. It's 7am and I'm usually trying to stay awake on the drive home, always a struggle and the radio was having a James Bond hour, playing peoples favourite bond songs in the build up to them playing Sam Smith. After hearing it on the radio and following on from AVTAK, FYEO, LALD, NDIB, LTK and SF it sounded so bondian and amazing. I actually love it and I can't understand the poisonous critism at all.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Teaser for the official music video.

Reminds me of the M scene from Skyfall.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Same location from this scene:
    spectre-james-bond-funeral.png
    Congratulations on getting to number 1 Sam.
    Yes, congratulations Sam =D>
    Love him or not, fair play and congratulations to Sam Smith for his UK No1 song for Spectre. Many have tried but only he has managed it! =D>
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Love him or not, fair play and congratulations to Sam Smith for his UK No1 song for Spectre. Many have tried but only he has managed it! =D>

It's good for the film that the song's made No. 1, but what would be more good to know is the actual numbers sold. I can't believe that it's out sold, say, Nobody Does it Better or that Duran Duran effort! Anyone any good at getting statistics? Would be very interested. Maybe a complete table of official songs and the numbers shifted.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

It's good for the film that the song's made No. 1, but what would be more good to know is the actual numbers sold. I can't believe that it's out sold, say, Nobody Does it Better or that Duran Duran effort! Anyone any good at getting statistics? Would be very interested. Maybe a complete table of official songs and the numbers shifted.

I hope it is sold out.

I hope it is sold out.

I like your humour, even more wicked than mine :))
    patb wrote: »

T. Rex's first No. 1 Hot Love sold an alleged 100,000 copies in four days - and spend 6 weeks at number one. Puts it into perspective I think!
  • RC7RC7

T. Rex's first No. 1 Hot Love sold an alleged 100,000 copies in four days - and spend 6 weeks at number one. Puts it into perspective I think!

The Crazy Frog made nearly half a billion dollars worldwide and spent four weeks at no.1 in the UK. There's no rhyme nor reason to any of this. You either like it, or you don't.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Furthermore nowadays you can't sell that many records anymore with very, very few exceptions.

70'000 units sold in 2015 is worth probably 200'000 units sold in 2000.
    A group like NSync was able to sell 33 million units of their records in a mere 2 years.

Britney Spears first album sold 30 million units in 1999/2000, her second in 2000 sold 24 million units worldwide.

Such numbers are simply un-thinkable today.

Therefore Sam Smith's 70'000 sold units within one week is a great success, especially because you need more than 100 streams to count it as 1 sold unit in the charts.

We are living in very different times.
    RC7 wrote: »

The Crazy Frog made nearly half a billion dollars worldwide and spent four weeks at no.1 in the UK. There's no rhyme nor reason to any of this. You either like it, or you don't.

Yeah, but that's not my point. Point being that almost anything can get to number 1 these days because it such a low number of sales needed. There's all this Sam Smith made number 1 where others didn't, but I'm saying if we used his sales figures and adjusted for, say, Goldfinger, then that would have been a number 1, and probably for some weeks!
    It's not about liking or not liking, is about numbers!
  • RC7RC7

Yeah, but that's not my point. Point being that almost anything can get to number 1 these days because it such a low number of sales needed. There's all this Sam Smith made number 1 where others didn't, but I'm saying if we used his sales figures and adjusted for, say, Goldfinger, then that would have been a number 1, and probably for some weeks!

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle. It's number one.
    =))
    Yep !
    " Time to face reality " :)

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle. It's number one.

Whatever!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,756
    We have a new lover :D
    Take that you WOTW haters !

Sam Smith brilliant song never left the Top 30 in Switzerland and is back on No 2 and only that bloody Adele says Hello on the top spot, she's a nasty occupier :))

And I'm sure it'll stay high in the charts until Spectre has run its course in early January.

<:-P
    Writing's On the Wall was loosely inspired by Pink Floyd's song "Another Brick in the Wall"
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I made this to show my appreciation to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wev_Fi0j-k
  • Terrible song written and sung by a person who made an absolute prat of himself at the Oscars. What I don't get is why so many gays put on a silly camp voice and demeanour?
  • RC7RC7
    Terrible song written and sung by a person who made an absolute prat of himself at the Oscars. What I don't get is why so many gays put on a silly camp voice and demeanour?

Don't recall SS having a 'silly camp voice'. Softly spoken, perhaps. He's no Kenneth Williams.