Writing's on the Wall - Official Appreciation Thread

Comments

• You can tell he's gay by his voice. Must be genetic I guess.
  • RC7RC7
    You can tell he's gay by his voice. Must be genetic I guess.

I know people who sound like that who aren't gay. I also know people who sound like Jason Statham who are gay. If your reference point is people in the media you will tend to find they're of a more theatrical disposition, hence the more theatrical or affected voice. A particularly camp actor is the equivalent of a Danny Dyer. Both projecting a heightened demeanour.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    THIS IS AN APPRECIATION THREAD
    If you don't have anything nice to say, get lost, Scaramanga.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Scaramanga12 is a troll. Just flag and ignore.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Terrible song written and sung by a person who made an absolute prat of himself at the Oscars. What I don't get is why so many gays put on a silly camp voice and demeanour?

It's an appreciation thread, can't you read or are you simply stupid (it wouldn't be the first time you prove it)?
  • I don't believe in appreciation threads so I just disregard that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't believe in appreciation threads so I just disregard that.

While you're at it, go ahead and disregard that ban placed on your profile.

Oh, you can't? Shame.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Oh, you can't? Shame.

Ahhh I was waiting for that. Sweet sweet victory. :))
    Star_Trek_II_The_Wrath_of_Khan.gif

Oh, you can't? Shame.

full.gif
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,144
    Let me tell you @Scaramanga12 what I believe in
    I Believe that You are one of the most annoying pieces of excrement that has ever washed up on this forum
    Furthermore I Wish that you would float off back to the shallow end of the gene pool where you clearly belong.

Bugger I've just read backward to see that he's been banned Thankyou Creasy much obliged .
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I always knew he was 12 years old. Cause the writing's on the wall. :O)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    =D> =D> =D> about time, so long loser.
    I did have a feeling that for him " The writings on the Wall" :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Murdock wrote: »
    I always knew he was 12 years old. Cause the writing's on the wall. :O)

And on his profile page (by me).

• I like it quite a lot NOW but I didn't before. I still can't quite believe it won the Grammy AND the Oscar given how much of a bad rap it got.
    I like it quite a lot NOW but I didn't before. I still can't quite believe it won the Grammy AND the Oscar given how much of a bad rap it got.

And it won a Golden Globe!
    Furthermore the people have decided that it is one of the best Bond themes ever if you measure it by success. Only A View To A Kill and Skyfall were that popular.

It was mainly the social media that gave it a bad rap. In the real world that song is quite loved otherwise it wouldn't have sold a ton of copies.
  • I like it quite a lot NOW but I didn't before. I still can't quite believe it won the Grammy AND the Oscar given how much of a bad rap it got.

And it won a Golden Globe!
    Furthermore the people have decided that it is one of the best Bond themes ever if you measure it by success. Only A View To A Kill and Skyfall were that popular.

It was mainly the social media that gave it a bad rap. In the real world that song is quite loved otherwise it wouldn't have sold a ton of copies.

Oh my God a Golden Globe as well? I didn't know that. What you say must be right then.

Oh, you can't? Shame.

:)) =))
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I like it quite a lot NOW but I didn't before. I still can't quite believe it won the Grammy AND the Oscar given how much of a bad rap it got.

Wait, when has it won a grammy? Are you sure? i don't remember that. Sam Smith is a grammy winning artist but not for that song as far as i know
    00Agent wrote: »

Wait, when has it won a grammy? Are you sure? i don't remember that. Sam Smith is a grammy winning artist but not for that song as far as i know

Not yet, by next year at that time he will have won it too.

The deadline for entries for a Grammy is September 30th. So WOTW will enter the nominations for the 2017 Award Show.
    Can I ask you (all) what it is about WOTW that you like?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 5,185
    vzok wrote: »

Quite simply the instrumental, for me it's as good as it gets for a Bond film.
    Sam Smith was 'ok' for me at the start but he grew on me.
    But i never had such troubles with his falsetto like many others. I think he did a good job overall

Not yet, by next year at that time he will have won it too.

The deadline for entries for a Grammy is September 30th. So WOTW will enter the nominations for the 2017 Award Show.

thanks for clearing that up. Would be awesome if it wins that too.
    vzok wrote: »

Pretty much what 00Agent said.

The melody itself is beautiful. The piano at the beginning, starting in a melanconic way and them becoming even sadder when Smith says "I've spent a life time running".

As 00Agent said, I'm not very fond of the falsetto, but it doesn't really bother me too much, and when he sings in his normal voice, he actually has a beautiful voice. Too bad every other song of his sucks, because WOTW is really good (in my opinion, of course).

The lyrics are wonderful.
    "I've been here before, but always hit the floor." Bond's already experienced love, but it never ended well, and this scares him because he thinks he'll never manage to find love again, even though he may have found someone who makes him feel happy ("but with you I'm feeling something that makes me want to stay").
    Yet Bond doesn't want to take any risk ("I never shoot to miss"), and he knows things won't end well ("but I feel like a storm is coming") even though now he might feel happy ("if I'm gonna make it through the day").

"If I risk it all, could you break my fall?" I especially love this verse. You can really feel the singer's fears, his inner pain; his life pretty much doesn't mean anything to him anymore, he's just falling down. However, there is hope for him, but he has to risk it, and if he does, will he be saved?

"A milion shards of glass, that haunt me from my past." As said before, Bond is haunted by his past, which causes his inner pain, and the reason he can't find happyness.
  • 00Agent wrote: »

That must be my mistake, I thought he won a grammy but he won the golden globe. But he probably will win the grammy anyways.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,157
    Haters should listen to this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeA5ZviVq40
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,441
    From Dutch version of Idols Season 5 of 11 May 2016.

He is 17 years old i believe. (And Yes, the left jury member is one of Jeroen Krabbe his sons.)
    Just shows what a fantastic song it is !
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,107
    I love it too. Gave me goosebumps in the theater and when watched in the comfort of my home for the first few times. Not a cheap Shirley Bassey imitation like Adele's Skyfall.

And I think ordinarely if you'd ask who'd I either listen to Sam Smith or Adele, I'd probably choose Adele. But Skyfall theme wasn't as good as Writings on the Wall. Hauntingly beautifull, I'd say.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    It works within the film and titles. So...love it (now).
    I must admit when I saw the train fight between Bond and Hinx I was blown away..i couldn't believe this was Daniel Craig's Bond getting the shit kicked out of him !!

The choreography of the scene was brilliant,and the idea of Bond actually looking scared and trying to get away (even throwing a lettuce at Hinx in desperation) was inspired.