The Living Daylights vs. Licence to Kill

edited September 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,778
When ranking the Bond actor's films, Timothy Dalton's two outings have always given me the most trouble. I can change my mind from day to day. Mostly because his two films were so different. TLD was a much more traditional Bond film that adhered to the formula more closely. LTK on the other hand is one of the more different Bond films in the serious. As of the moment Im writing this Im giving the edge to LTK due to a stronger villian plus the fact that Dalton's relationship with Kara in TLD sometimes felt tacked on. I like my Bond as a womanizer. Again my opinion could change the next time I see TLD.

Comments

Neither are brilliant IMHO and both are firmly in the middle of my list. However I think my vote would go to Kill because of Davi - one of the best baddies of the series.
    I'm with you @BAIN123 they're both very average. if not bottom of the pile.

LTK
    TLD
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I've always prefered Licence To Kill though both are great and two of the only true post 60's classics in my opinion.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TLD, easily. The best Bond film made post-TB. The last true Cold War Bond film. John Barry's final 007 score(one of his best). Bond's romance with Kara is the most believable Bond/Bond girl relationship in the series. Terrific stunts and locations.

Mods, can a poll be added to this please?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Done.

They're the best and 2nd best Bond films, and both have qualities that I love. But overall, i'd have to go with TLD.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Done.
    Thanks, Major.
    They're the best and 2nd best Bond films, and both have qualities that I love. But overall, i'd have to go with TLD.
    You picked the right choice.

As of the moment Im writing this Im giving the edge to LTK due to a stronger villian plus the fact that Dalton's relationship with Kara in TLD sometimes felt tacked on. I like my Bond as a womanizer. Again my opinion could change the next time I see TLD.
    I don't find the romance to be tacked on at all. I like how it took a little time to build up to it. I found it to be more realistic than most, in fact.

I prefer TLD, myself, but I'll admit that Dalton's man handling of Pam in LTK is probably one of the most exciting moments in Bond for me.

Of course, that is JUST ME (I'm pretty sure.... Dalton lust...*sigh*)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TLD is the better of the two. Of course LTK is also a great Bond film, but TLD has remained in my top five since 1987.
    A Bondian classic.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I have TLD edging LTK by a little bit. Both are outstanding Bond flicks, but TLD is just a classic adventure on par with the better Connery flicks, the likes we likely won't ever get again. LTK is still top 5 material though, with a better villain, and great story.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 295
    Neither are top tier Bond films, though TLD has increased in my estimation as of late. LTK though...sucks. TLD wins this on the strength of Barry's score alone.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would go with LTK. Great villain, plausible plot, one of the most beautiful Bond girls (Lupe), and the characters and revenge-driven Bond are entertaining to watch.
  • Neither are top tier Bond films, though TLD has increased in my estimation as of late. LTK though...sucks. TLD wins this on the strength of Barry's score alone.
    Damn Mr. Lazenby that's rough especially coming from you. I guess you want Dalton to take your mantle of the "worst Bond". But don't worry Pierce has the title as far as Im concerned. Hahaha.

But in all seriousness Im glad to hear your opinions but alittle suprised for the lack of support for LTK. But I see where your all coming from. In many ways TLD was the last "traditional" or "classic" Bond film. In that it was produced by Cubby Brocolli, had a Cold War setting, John Barry score, "Good Guy Army" vs "Bad Guy Army" fight at the end, etc.

• An extremely tough call for me, but LTK by a hair because we saw a side of Bond that was only glimpsed at other times.
  • Both films are tied in the polls now. See what meant when I said it was a tough decision.
  • I'd give it to LTK. It has some flaws but has a interesting look at Bond avenging a friend in a way that is more important that the "sacrificial lamb" subplots of other movies. Davi is an excellent villian, Bond infiltrating Sanchez's organization is great, and at the end you really get the sense that Bond has come to the end of a journey and has *earned* his victory. Dalton sitting on the rock, exhausted, looking like hell (especially after the not-a-hair-out-of-place Moore years) is one of my favourite moments for the character in the series. And to see Moneypenny and Q looking after and helping Bond (continuing the theme of real friendship) was wonderful.
    I'll give my vote to LTK. While I enjoy TLD, some parts I find not as great as what we see in LTK. I really enjoyed Dalton better in LTK as 007, and the villains are much better in LTK. Also, the plot is somewhat easier to follow in LTK. While that doesn't make or break a Bond movie, it sure does help every now and then!
  • I enjoy both of these movies greatly. TLD is a great Bond movie and Dalton is fantastic. LTK, on the other hand, works better as and is an excellent action thriller (I’ve stated before that as a standalone move, this is fantastic). However, as this is obviously asking which is the best of these 2 “Bond” movies, then I’d have to go for TLD.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I'm with you @BAIN123 they're both very average. if not bottom of the pile.

LTK
    TLD
    I don't know if I'd call them very average. They are just "good". Kill (a film that id always really enjoyed) went down a little bit in my rankings recently due to it's dirty, generically 80s feel and Daylights, though good, suffers from a slightly stale plot and pretty weak baddies IMO.

I still enjoy them though.
    Well TLD is #21 on my list and LTK is #9 so my choice is obvious.
    I just can't stand Bond looking all gooey-eyed ad bloody Kara while she delivers another goofy grin back at him.
    It's like a Secret Service dating agency
    check the scene where Dalton pulls the rape talk on Kara. "just let it happen" horrible.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 19,339
    haha i know,while Saunders is getting cut in two by a door...he just doesnt look relaxed in this film, Dalton.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Any criticism in the following about Timbo Dalton is NicNac's opinion only and doesn't in any way reflect the opinion of the Community in general :-bd

Well, for me TLD is nicely paced, the stuntwork is impecable, the romance is genuinely touching (the two leads suit each other perfectly), the music is great, the action impressive. Top notch Bond. Quite well directed by Glen (never thought I'd type those words). Overall the film neatly disguises Timbo's short comings.

LTK - here I go again. Bitter, aggressive and uncomfortable viewing. Pedestrian direction although well acted by much of the cast and terrific action (especially the climatic tanker sequence). Timbo's tough man act doesn't wash with me, and is perfectly illustrated in the scene where he and Sanchez first meet and Robert Davi acts him off the screen. I know which one would scare me the most.

TLD is the best film IMHO, by a country mile
    at least Dalton doesn't look like a well groomed pussy in LTK agreed?
    No,more like a well groomed badger.
    And i'm disappointed in you nackers,thinking TLD is better than LTK AND the 2 leads compliment themselves - yuk.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    No,more like a well groomed badger.
    And i'm disappointed in you nackers,thinking TLD is better than LTK AND the 2 leads compliment themselves - yuk.
    HAH! ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I voted for TLD... and the poll's tied again !
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TLD is the better film. Though as someone pointed out earlier, LTK has the superior villains.
    How do I justify TLD being the better of the two. Easy.

Greatest. Stunt. EVER!
  • Ooops, didn't even realise there was a poll. As stated before I've gone for TLD.
  • Well said Nic Nac...I particularly agree with your assessment of LTK. I also try keep my opinions respectful around here, but Dalton on the whole never convinced me as as a tough guy or a ladies' man...or as Bond in general. And I say this as someone who had TLD and LTK as their two first Bond cinematic experiences back when I was 12. That said, Brosnan was much much worse, though the two of them definitely own the bottom of my particular barrel.
    Dalton sucks the life out of everything. he isn't even trying. why can't I vote Neither?