The Living Daylights vs. Licence to Kill

Comments

I feel sorry for Della. She seemed to genuinely like James as a friend and yet she's pretty much forgotten at the end of the film. Was it really too much to simply have Felix look at a pic of Della from his hospital bed?

Felix was talking like he went in for a simple knee operation ;)

Come to think of it he probably wouldn't have been a very good hubby anyway. At the beginning he seems more excited about catching Sanchez than getting married.
    Yeah, I was never satisfied with Felix's last little scene in LTK. If someone were to ask him how he was doing what with Della's death, he'd be likely to say, "Della? Who's Della?" It's a shame that they showed him all giddy and cheerful in the aftermath of such a tragedy.
    Precisely why Hendison's LALD performance is a trillion miles better than in LTK.
    How right you are! I've always preferred Hedison LALD over Hedison LTK.

I found the Della woman somewhat irritating in Daltons second film, no tears shed when Sanchez's henchmen had their way with her, it's only a movie

Felix Leiter was the same from 73's Live and let die, and I think I prefered the second time around

Anyone who had the original License to Kill on VHS release couldn't help but notice some significant parts had been cut out, Sanchez whipping Lamora, the Shark attack on Leiter trimmed down, Dario in the cocaine grinder, and Sanchez being torched at the end by several seconds

I bought the uncut version on DVD a few years ago and it was only right they showed the film has it should be, 15 certificate is was when released, then they went to 12 ever since, although Goldeneye is a 15 on DVD apparently.

strange really as it's almost identical to the '12' VHS release I first had back in '96

• A better ending would've been Bond not too certain about his ability to return to MI6 to be resolved in a 3rd Dalton Bond film that (sadly) never was.

I had read that the scene in GE with Bond and the anaylst in the DB5 was meant as a reference to allowing Bond back to service after going rogue in LTK. Anyone confirm this? It seems too subtle, unless as an in-joke for hardcore fans. And the fact that so much time had passed, and there was a different actor, makes it hard for me to believe that that was the intention. Unless it was from a previous draft when they thought that Dalton might return..?
    Lets just say that Felix was high on morphine for his pain ,thats why he was all giddy and jolly eh ??
    LTK for Sanchez's death, and final scene.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,762
    Lets just say that Felix was high on morphine for his pain ,thats why he was all giddy and jolly eh ??
    Hahaha! :-j Yes, we'll go with that idea!
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,778
    Hahaha! :-j Yes, we'll go with that idea!
    He was definatly on some good stuff. He seemed gittier without his wife and left leg than he did with them.
    @DoubleOhhSeven: Yes, somewhat. I just wish they had expanded on that a little more than they did.
    I also try keep my opinions respectful around here, but Dalton on the whole never convinced me as as a tough guy or a ladies' man...or as Bond in general.
    I won't disagree with the "ladies man" persona, but I don't really think that describes Fleming's Bond, anyway.

That said, it would take very little for this lady to be wooed by one Mr. Dalton.
  • I also try keep my opinions respectful around here, but Dalton on the whole never convinced me as as a tough guy or a ladies' man...or as Bond in general.
    I won't disagree with the "ladies man" persona, but I don't really think that describes Fleming's Bond, anyway.

That said, it would take very little for this lady to be wooed by one Mr. Dalton.
    @lalala2004 You're a woman? On this site? This is a monumentious occasion. And Dalton is so a ladies man. Maybe less so than the other 5 actors but his Bond wasn't the "playboy" type anyway. Dalton was business before pleasure. So is Craig.

• And Dalton is so a ladies man. Maybe less so than the other 5 actors but his Bond wasn't the "playboy" type anyway. Dalton was business before pleasure. So is Craig.
    Dalton shot a film here in Toronto and a couple of women who met him raved about how attractive he was - apparently there's a tremendous flirtacious energy to him in real life. One said she couldn't believe that he didn't bring that to Bond. She said you could imagine him making just about any women weak in the knees in person.

• edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I dont know if Flemings Bond was a "ladies man" as such but he was a "philanderer". Bond thought little of having an affair with a married woman and M disapproved of that. I suppose one can blame it on the whole AIDS panic at the time but I never got the impression Dalton's 007 was a "philanderer".

If he is flirtatious in real life then yeah, it's a shame we didn't see that.
    TLD is my second favourite Bond film after OHMSS and FRWL which rank first equal. Connery is my favourite Bond but only in the first two films when his portrayal was darker prior to the scripts becoming more light hearted from GF onwards. If I were to discount the first two films then I would say Dalton is my favourite Bond. No, Dalton is definitely not the playboy type.
  • Again it was the late 80s. There was an AIDS scare. EON wanted a more monogomous Bond and it didn't work very well. But I do believe had Dalton stayed on longer he wouldn't gotten beyond that 80s phase and went on to become more of a womanizer in the 90s.
    LTK for less ferris wheel rape. LTK for Sanchez's cute iguana.
    You keep saying rape. Why?
    "don't think just let it happen" is classic canned rape chat.

@lalala2004 You're a woman? On this site? This is a monumentious occasion. And Dalton is so a ladies man. Maybe less so than the other 5 actors but his Bond wasn't the "playboy" type anyway. Dalton was business before pleasure. So is Craig.
    Guilty as charged.

@jinx Your statements regarding the ferris wheel scene and it's being anything akin to rape is ludicrous. You must know this...

They just kissed, for goodness sake. Kara seemed to be quite a willing participant, as well.... I would be, too, were I her *ahem*
  • LTK for less ferris wheel rape. LTK for Sanchez's cute iguana.
    You keep saying rape. Why?
    "don't think just let it happen" is classic canned rape chat.
    He didn't force her or drug her. She admitted herself that all she could think about since she met him was being with him. Bond just granted her wish. ;-)
    point taken. but I still don't like the film.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well it's beyond me.
    He's wearing a tux, they've been to the opera, they obviously enjoy each others company and Bond feels the Bonds (no pun intended) of a relationship or the possibility. The fact that she doesn't reject him and that he doesn't force himself on her only cements this as being nothing more than a romance.
    You really need to grow up Jinx.
    sorry @Benny.
  • Yes, I liked that too. But Dalton had a near perfect 2 movie tenure, and it all went down the drain in the final 5 minutes of LTK.
    Only you would say something as incredibly stupid as this :-@
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Yes, I liked that too. But Dalton had a near perfect 2 movie tenure, and it all went down the drain in the final 5 minutes of LTK.
    Only you would say something as incredibly stupid as this :-@
    I'm sorry ? I found the end of LTK to be terrible, so sue me. And please stop attacking other members.
  • I haven't attacked you in quite some time, unless you count the PM I just sent you to advise you I have complained to the mods about your constant bashing of the DC era and nearly everything associated with it. Nor have I attacked any other members, show me where I did this???

I actually agree with you that the ending of LTK was too happy for me and not in keeping with the story. But how you connect this small instance with the rest of the movie and the completely unrelated TLD shows everyone how immature your thought processes are. Just saying you didn't like the ending was enough to make your point.

Funny how it's OK for you to bash what you don't like, but no one can come back at you for it. Your response to Shadow was rude. Hopefully the mods can straighten you out because you, as usual, don't care to take anything seriously anything that grown ups twice your age are saying in an effort to help you get along better with people. We are all here because we LOVE the Bond movies, and I think that you would be better off to join the DCINB club and go away.
    License to kill did have a bit of a lame ending, the poolside party, and what were they doing at the Sanchez residence anyway, should of been at some other venue maybe

the winking fish was a bit cringeworthy and the ending credits seemed a bit Lethal Weapon 2

it's arguably the most brutal bond offering, and would anyone really leave their passport and entire luggage at the arrivals desk and run off like Dalton did on hearing some news that didn't necessarily suggest it had anything to do with what went before

after all the camp nonsense that went before, especially with Moore, it was probably a shock to most when the movie was released to see sharks biting off legs, exploding heads and heavier profanities, but it did have it's moments, Dalton was OK
  • I guess Im the only person who really enjoyed the ending to LTK. Except Felix on drugs ofcourse ;-) . It was a nice reprieve from the rest of the movie and Dalton really turns on the charm. Grim movies don't always have to have grim endings.
    TLD is great except for the stupid laser from the aston.
    LTK is a bit of a mess in places like the laser from the camera :) and too many bad american actors.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,778
    I don't think the poll will get many, if any, more votes. It looks like TLD wins. But not by much ;-)
    I used to have these two locked in a never-ending battle for which was better, but I finally gave in and allowed License to Kill to prevail. When you really get down to it, I just found it to be more entertaining than TLD.
    Dalton is my favorite of the six candidates, he seemed so serious and there was much less of the horse play and one liners that were so frequent with Moore

Daylights is a very technical film, a good teaser in Gibraltar, A-HA did OK with the music, and the scenes around Central Europe were quite fun even if they did drag at times, Whitaker's hideout in Morocco scenes were non eventful and once they got out into the Afghan desert things picked up a bit, Maryam D'abo was a pretty colorless bond girl and Koskov was more hilarious than anything else, same with Joe Don Baker, but it's my preference over the one that followed

got to mention while I'm at it, earlier today I watched Live and Let Die and there was a bit near the end when Leiter (David Hedison) warns Bond to 'look out for sharks'

I did find that rather amusing when thinking ahead to him in License To Kill some 16 years later with Sanchez and Co' at 'feeding time' :-))

It's only a movie and no one did get hurt, but even so..
  • I used to have these two locked in a never-ending battle for which was better, but I finally gave in and allowed License to Kill to prevail. When you really get down to it, I just found it to be more entertaining than TLD.
    Exactly the same here.
    Dalton is my favorite of the six candidates, he seemed so serious and there was much less of the horse play and one liners that were so frequent with Moore

Daylights is a very technical film, a good teaser in Gibraltar, A-HA did OK with the music, and the scenes around Central Europe were quite fun even if they did drag at times, Whitaker's hideout in Morocco scenes were non eventful and once they got out into the Afghan desert things picked up a bit, Maryam D'abo was a pretty colorless bond girl and Koskov was more hilarious than anything else, same with Joe Don Baker, but it's my preference over the one that followed

got to mention while I'm at it, earlier today I watched Live and Let Die and there was a bit near the end when Leiter (David Hedison) warns Bond to 'look out for sharks'

I did find that rather amusing when thinking ahead to him in License To Kill some 16 years later with Sanchez and Co' at 'feeding time' :-))

It's only a movie and no one did get hurt, but even so..
    Damn I never noticed that from LALD but I should have. It's pretty funny considering how he would go one to "Disagree with something that ate him".