Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

It's been a funny period for Bond. I suppose he's always been a bit out of time. I just think the 1990s films should have looked a bit cooler. I see it as a wasted decade. Production design, clothes, music etc. was all a bit sub-par. Things have gotten better during the Craig era in terms of production values. The films are looking a lot better than they have done for a long time.

I do think I'd like to see a Nolan Bond movie, just to see what he'd create visually and aurally. I think it would be pretty awesome. He has that visual flair.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I hated all that slide screen stuff in QoS. That stuff should be left for Star Trek.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I hated all that slide screen stuff in QoS. That stuff should be left for Star Trek.
    Yeah, it was a poor attempt to make Bond tech a bit ahead like in the old days.

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I suspect the filmmakers realised it was a bit of a failed experiment, hence why it wasn't featured in Skyfall.

Actually, a lot of the computer stuff in GE (especially the scenes in Mi6) look more impressive and more convincing now than what was in QoS. I have a hard time believing that that sort of technology was so prominent in the real mi6 in 2008.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Yeah, it was a poor attempt to make Bond tech a bit ahead like in the old days.

Totally agree. I always thought it was a shame that they felt it necessary to move out of the old office in GE and IT got more and more ridiculous until the QOS MI6 looked like something out of scifi .

My favourite moment in SF was when you see the new M back in the old office at the end of the movie - the third time that the Craig era has ended the film by suggesting that everything is now back to normal... Only for it not to be!
    I must confess I don't think the set of the new "old-style" office at the end of Skyfall looked particularly impressive - particularly Moneypenny's office. It looked a bit...cheap to me.
    I wouldn't say it looks cheap. It just looks tamely old school.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I must confess I don't think the set of the new "old-style" office at the end of Skyfall looked particularly impressive - particularly Moneypenny's office. It looked a bit...cheap to me.

Looked fine to me. I just love that it's back. It has been on wish list since GE but never thought I'd see it happen.

It's really odd. There's so much about Mendes's approach that I like, but then I sit and watch Skyfall and just find the execution really annoying. I am hoping that his intentions and my expectations are fully reconciled with SP. The trailer makes me feel optimistic that I'm going to like SP a lot more than SF.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    What I miss the most from the old films is that big, thick, red door that leads to M's office. I really felt cosy during the M briefings back in the day, especially when other regulars joined in (Q, Minister of Defense)
    Why is it people are so obsessed with having that old-fashioned office anyway?

Yeah it was great in the days of Connery/Moore/Maxwell but that was 50 odd years ago. Do people still have offices like that in the world of espionage? (seriously - I don't know). Seems quite dated now in itself.
    What I miss the most from the old films is that big, thick, red door that leads to M's office. I really felt cosy during the M briefings back in the day, especially when other regulars joined in (Q, Minister of Defense)

Totally agree. That cosy quality is one of the things that I loved about the Glenn movies - it provided a nice sense of continuity.

Yeah it was great in the days of Connery/Moore/Maxwell but that was 50 odd years ago. Do people still have offices like that in the world of espionage? (seriously - I don't know). Seems quite dated now in itself.

It's supposed to be a Whitehall senior civil servant's office. I think it's totally plausible that this kind of room still exists. It's also an integral part of the Bond world. Getting rid of it was a bit like Dr Who without the tardis.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Am I the only one that got that last scene in SF or am I totally wrong?

It was a homage to the "old" Bonds because of the anniversary.

Nothing of that set will be around for Spectre. That was just like a mini-movie in itself reminiscing of the days when Roger or Sean entered the realm of Moneypenny and M.
    Could have been a webisode as well really.

I'm pretty sure in Spectre we will see the usual modern office.
    No. The old office is in the SP trailer
    Getafix wrote: »

Totally agree. That cosy quality is one of the things that I loved about the Glenn movies - it provided a nice sense of continuity.

It's supposed to be a Whitehall senior civil servant's office. I think it's totally plausible that this kind of room still exists. It's also an integral part of the Bond world. Getting rid of it was a bit like Dr Who without the tardis.

Fair enough.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    IMO LTK was the last of the great old Bonds. Much as I like Brosnan, his movies introduced the "new & improved" version. Let's see if SP can capture a bit more of the old than usual...
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139

Nothing of that set will be around for Spectre. That was just like a mini-movie in itself reminiscing of the days when Roger or Sean entered the realm of Moneypenny and M.

Correction...

Spectre-011.jpg

People have said GE has a "made-for-tv" quality to it. Maybe it does but I think LTK has more of a TV feel (most of the actors in it, as in GE, were known mainly for television). At least in GE a lot of the actors went on to become big names in film.

To be honest, many of the Bond films post 60s have a bit of a "television" feel to them. This could be down to budget issues.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Correction...

Spectre-011.jpg

Hey I've overlooked that! Ok, so I was totally wrong :))
    All the better! IMO
    And I expect Moneypenny to sit and wait for James to enter her office and throw his hat....ok, ok.... :))
    People have said GE has a "made-for-tv" quality to it. Maybe it does but I think LTK has more of a TV feel (most of the actors in it, as in GE, were known mainly for television). At least in GE a lot of the actors went on to become big names in film.

To be honest, many of the Bond films post 60s have a bit of a "television" feel to them. This could be down to budget issues.

Granted, LTK does feel low budget in places. Mainly because it was! Benicio Del Toro is a pretty cool breakthrough for LTK though. I'm not going to die in a ditch defending LTK - I have my issues with it like you do - but I do think it 'feels' closer to the old school Bond movies, despite the spot of ultra violence. I put that down to Glenn's directing and still a fair bit of continuity with the original era. Q's presence is of course welcome (by me at least).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote: »
    Well I haven't actually watched it since about 1996... But I do remember thinking Brosnan's bouffant hair looked like an 80s catalogue model/stockbroker. And who was wearing a cravat in 1995?

That's the problem. You haven't watched the movie in 20 years. You got to take the time to rewatch it. I don't care how you feel about the man. Your current opinion is outdated and in need of reevaluation. You have to watch Goldeneye with an unbiased view. You can't watch it as. OH BROSNAN STOLE THIS FROM DALTON. Last year I hated TMWTGG then watched it again this year and it wasn't so bad. You can't let a 20 year old opinion drive you. I've rewatched a lot of movies I've disliked to see how they hold up. You're simply not giving the man a chance. It's time for a rewatch. I want to know what Present day Getafix thinks, not 1996 Getafix.
    @Murdock.

I get the feeling that, when it comes to Brosnan as Bond, Getafix's mind is mind is made up. He's hated it for 20 years. Why would young people like us change his mind?

IF he's going to re-watch one it should be TND as that seems to be the one he's least hateful and bias towards.
    @Murdock.

I get the feeling that, when it comes to Brosnan as Bond, Getafix's mind is mind is made up.

Perhaps, but letting a 20 year old viewing determine my view of an actor or film for the rest of time is rather...laughable. As a teen I hated Licence To Kill and Dalton but in 2011 I watched LTK again and it's gone up considerably. It hasn't gone well in this viewing but at least I gave it another chance.
    I would agree with you but I'm just not convinced he'd change his mind.

First impressions have a habit of sticking.
    I would agree with you but I'm just not convinced he'd change his mind.

First impressions have a habit of sticking.
    I'm not either but a second chance is still in order. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Me and Getafix see the Brosnan era the same way. I have rewatched those films, and they just gets worse with each viewing.
    Die Another Day certainly does. TWINE seems a bit ropey these days too.

GE and TND still have enough enthusiasm to keep me entertained enough (though the latter is far from a favourite).
    Die Another Day certainly does. TWINE seems a bit ropey these days too.

GE and TND still have enough enthusiasm to keep me entertained enough (though the latter is far from a favourite).

This, though for me GE and TWINE age like a fine wine and are still very good films to me. TND has gone down a bit and Die Another Day makes for good alcoholic beverage drinking. :))
    With TND I really like some of the stuff in the first half hour or so (Dr Kaulfman, Brosnan's phone conversation with MP, admiral Robuck and M and Broz breaking into Carver's warehouse). Granted it's cheesy but it has a liveliness to it.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 16,333
    With TND I really like some of the stuff in the first half hour or so (Dr Kaulfman, Brosnan's phone conversation with MP, admiral Robuck and M and Broz breaking into Carver's warehouse). Granted it's cheesy but it has a liveliness to it.

Yes, It's first half is great.
    I wouldn't say "great" but decent enough.

There's some bad acting from Teri Hatcher particularly as well as some poor dialogue ("when it comes to a choice between you and Elliot I've made my bed...you don't sleep in it anymore")
    ...and her reading of "It's the easiest way to get in, don't argue with me James"

In the words of Nostalgia Critic "I'M ACTING".