Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Getafix

DAD was fantastic, literally. Babs and MGW's greatest success up to that point.
    I'm pretty sure, everyone was happy.
    The audience certainly was. At least in Europe. People gave standing ovations, even during the movie!!
    The only movie since then that had similar reactions was Skyfall.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I say it's much more than that. Pierce is at his best.

Shame that is the 'special needs class' of Bond films. DAD is the best Bond parody since CR 67.
    @Getafix

The audience certainly was. At least in Europe. People gave standing ovations, even during the movie!!

Funnily enough, although I quite strongly dislike both films (for different reasons), I sort of agree. There are parallels for me between DAD and SF - both smash hits that many people thought were amazing at the time. Will see how people view SF in a few years time.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Wasn't the reason Barbara didnt make Bond serious during the Brosnan era was because the failure that was the Timothy Dalton, fans didnt want Bond to have a serious tone so she was afraid to go that route again like they did with Dalton so she went to more family oriented Bond films for the Brosnan era and in way she was right because the Brosnan era was very successful

@fjinardo did in fact say that. It remains true.

Poor Pierce latter paid the price for it, since his Bond latter became a very hatted one.

i guess many people forget while he was playing Bond he was successful and highly liked but then the action trend changed and The tables turned against him.

Now many Blame Barbara for this and say she is a coward but everyone would do what she did when Bond went into recess for 6 years. In the 90s people asked for a formulatic Bond and that's what they got and it worked at the time.

Years latter Came Nolan and his batman trilogy and now it was cool being dark and gritty Craig is an adored Bond and Timothy got the credit he desreved in the 80s.

His 4 films were fun and were great escapism with a portrayal of Bond which included the best traits of the previous actors.
    Its not Barabara's fault or Pierce's that the action genre changed and people would see those films dated in a blink of an eye.
    While those films were in theaters were well recevied and liked but all of a sudden the world changed and the films seemed dated for most fans.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sweeping statements galore!
    Some of us have disliked the idea of Brosnan as Bond since 'that bloke from Remingston Steele' was in the running back in 1986.

I loathed his Bond immediately from the Goldeneye pre-title sequence. He was too much of a poseur and seemed to be self consciously 'acting like James Bond' rather than giving a decent acting performance.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Cowley wrote: »
    Some of us have disliked the idea of Brosnan as Bond since 'that bloke from Remingston Steele' was in the running back in 1986.

I loathed his Bond immediately from the Goldeneye pre-title sequence. He was too much of a poseur and seemed to be self consciously 'acting like James Bond' rather than giving a decent acting performance.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've honestly never understood the love for GE. It's one of the worst in the series IMO. Has a made for TV vibe. Brosnan is better in TND IMO and its a better Bond movie (not saying much).
    Cowley wrote: »
    He was too much of a poseur and seemed to be self consciously 'acting like James Bond' rather than giving a decent acting performance.

I agree with this.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

1) Define 'everyone'. BB and MGW were so happy they dropped their star and went back to the drawing board. PB takes the piss out of the film. Fans hate it and critics hate it.

2)Where in Europe did DAD get standing ovations? Nowhere I have heard of.
    @NicNac

I get it you hate Brosnan and/or DAD.

It is a fact BB & MGW would have continued with Brosnan if he hadn't got greedy and asked for too much money.

Everyone: The public (most successful Bond movie up to that point), BB & MGW another great success, the biggest even.

Fans hate it? Maybe you, maybe others. But "fans" don't hate it in general. Not one singular Bond movie is hated, maybe by you yes. Even DAF is loved by a lot of people.
    @NicNac

I get it you hate Brosnan and/or DAD.

It is a fact BB & MGW would have continued with Brosnan if he hadn't got greedy and asked for too much money.

Everyone: The public (most successful Bond movie up to that point), BB & MGW another great success, the biggest even.

Fans hate it? Maybe you, maybe others. But "fans" don't hate it in general. Not one singular Bond movie is hated, maybe by you yes. Even DAF is loved by a lot of people.

From my comments you deduce I hate Brosnan? I'm baffled. And I don't hate him (OH God I'm explaining myself to you!! I must be bored)

And I don't hate any Bond film, I just recognise that DAD was one of the moments where Eon hit a brick wall and realised they had gone as far as they could in a certain direction. I actually dislike LTK more than DAD, but the last 40 minutes of DAD are possibly the most screamingly coma-inducing minutes of the entire series.

The film was successful financially, but not because of it's quality believe you me.

Don't worry my friend, I will support you in your quest to legitimise DAD as a great Bond film, it's the least I can do.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    you're not bored, it's called a discussion in my book :))

Financial success and quality have not much in common, that is true.
    Can you say....Avatar :)) oh dear, I hope you don't like that one...

I can see that DAD is in the same league as DAF or QOS. Disliked to a degree by, what seems to be a majority.
    But I'll always defend DAD and QOS, DAF is a bit more difficult to defend ;)
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Firstly, I remember the reviews of DAD at the time being reasonably positive - emphasis on reasonably as even back then the quality of the special effects was seen as poor (a friend of mine saw it before me and I still remember him saying that the moment Bond flies over the ice cliff in the record breaker looked fake).

Secondly, I think it's fair that A LOT of Bond fans now hate it. You just have to go on a few Bond forums and see fan-made reviews to see that. Personally, I think there's some half decent scenes in the first act, but then it gets sillier and sillier and becomes more deserving of the flack it receives.

The same man who directed DAD went on to do that all-time classic XXX2 by the way.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,690
    As I said before, at the time the old MI6 forums existed, it was interesting to go back and read the comments posted at the time DAD was in theaters. You only needed one hand to count the amount of members that didn't want Brosnan to return for Bond 21 at the time.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Firstly, I remember the reviews of DAD at the time being reasonably positive - emphasis on reasonably as even back then the quality of the special effects was seen as poor (a friend of mine saw it before me and I still remember him saying that the moment Bond flies over the ice cliff in the record breaker looked fake).

Secondly, I think it's fair that A LOT of Bond fans now hate it. You just have to go on a few Bond forums and see fan-made reviews to see that. Personally, I think there's some half decent scenes in the first act, but then it sillier and sillier.

Yes, a majority of fans now dislike it and it gets mentioned a lot to be one of the least good ones together with DAF QOS and AVTAK.

I like DAD, I like the fantastic locations in Iceland and Cuba. Miranda Frost is one of my favourite Bond girls. Gustav Graves was the last true megalomaniac and I miss that in Bond movies nowadays. The two main cars in DAD are bloody fantastic and they know how to show off those cars! The final sequence is literally fantastic and as I love comic books and their movie adaptions I liked the silliness that DAD has at times.
    I can't decide on whether Toby Stephens performance is "good-bad" or "bad-bad". He obviously knows its complete nonsense and hams it up big time (and I can't help but now giggle at his line "you see Mr Bond...you can't kill my dreams").

I suppose its not exactly a "good" performance but I do find him entertaining in the film.

Honourable mention to his delivery of the line "Japan is a bug waiting to be squashed"
    I can't decide on whether Toby Stephens performance is "good-bad" or "bad-bad". He obviously knows its complete nonsense and hams it up big time (and I can't help but now giggle at his line "you see Mr Bond...you can't kill my dreams").

I suppose its not exactly a "good" performance but I do find him entertaining in the film.

Honourable mention to his delivery of the line "Japan is a bug waiting to be squashed"

I think the trajectory of Stephens' career post DAD says quite a lot.

I like Toby Stephens performance, it fits the movie like a glove. DAD is supposed to be silly.
    Silva for instance is silly too and I feel uncomfortable seeing Bardem's performance in SF, it seems strangely off to the tone of the movie (in my opinion).

Halle Berry on the other hand is just a pale imitation of Honey Ryder.
    It's ironic that Toby Stephens has narrated a few of the audio books post-Bond.
    So has Rosamund Pike!

They can't have done such a bad job, if they were chosen to read the novels!

By the way I own them all, and both are doing great in reading the audio books. Bill Nighy and other good actors are speaking them too.
    Voice actors are not necessarily good actors. Stephens is rather mediocre. Graves was poorly written but that's no excuse.
    To be fair Stephens was dealt a difficult hand. It's an awful character in a dreadful story. I guess he gave the performance the film deserved. Playing it straight would have just looked stupid.

It's a very weird film. Like GE, it has a very naff 1980s look and feel. All cheesy style and no substance
    @Getafix

I can't resist to object :D

GE is weird? naff 80's look? No substance?

Sure we are talking GoldenEye here?
    @Getafix

I can't resist to object :D

GE is weird? naff 80's look? No substance?

Sure we are talking GoldenEye here?

Well I haven't actually watched it since about 1996... But I do remember thinking Brosnan's bouffant hair looked like an 80s catalogue model/stockbroker. And who was wearing a cravat in 1995?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    When I watch the 5 John Glen films and then GE and TND, I always notice that GE seems closer to the Glen films than the 1990's style that started with TND. The style of GE is very low-key, cold, metallic, and even with a bigger budget, the film still looks very 1980's Bond.
    I went through a period when I watched a bit of Goldeneye everyday.

Might even stick it on now.

(I do get what you mean about the hair but there's no way its worse than Moore in the early to mid 80s).
    I'm wearing a cravat right now :D
    When I watch the 5 John Glen films and then GE and TND, I always notice that GE seems closer to the Glen films than the 1990's style that started with TND. The style of GE is very low-key, cold, metallic, and even with a bigger budget, the film still looks very 1980's Bond.

This is true but of course that's a good thing (imo).
    I guess Cubby wanted to be closer to Moore's era than Dalton's era with GE and Brosnan.

I always though GE started the Hi Tech phase of Bond. Up to LTK we still had cosy old M, love struck Penny, Big Ben chiming in the distance.
    With GE MI6 went all techy with huge computer screens, a starched, modern M in a starched modern office, Penny had a life. It all culminated in QOS where the hi tech stuff peaked. (All that sleight of hand shuffling of images on a table looked like a magician doing close up magic).
    We are starting to go a bit retro now.
    Once again, I'm with @NicNac.

The style of all the 90s films is much slicker than the previous Glenn films.