Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

The discussion on posters' age is amusing and interesting. People eager to point out they are older than other people. One doesn't see that every day. ;)
    Getafix wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    In short, the answer to the question in the thread title: No, he wasn't. But Lazenby really was. :P

Seconded.

Wow. There are people on here who don't like Laz as Bond. Incredible in this day and age. Like a throw back to the late 60s.

I'm curious to know what "this day and age" have got to do with it. Just different tastes. Are we supposed to like everything from the sixties because of nostalgia or something? Not quite sure if it's ok to ask since this would just get off topic...

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Are we supposed to like everything from the sixties because of nostalgia or something?
    Yes.
    And Lazenby was the last Bond of the Sixties, therefore you must love his Bond.
    As some people says, Brosnan was a great Bond with awful screenplays.
    Because the screenplays to most other Bond movies are quite extraordinary.
    :))
    chrisisall wrote: »

Got me :)

Got me :)

Good sport here! :)>-
    Are we supposed to like everything from the sixties because of nostalgia or something?
    Yes.
    And Lazenby was the last Bond of the Sixties, therefore you must love his Bond.

Gotcha. ;)

And so as Brosnan is not a Sixties Bond (yeah, baby), nor a Seventies Bond (closely related to Sixties), nor an Eighties Bond (cousin once removed), nor a post 9-11 uber-serious (how DARE they play it light) Bond, he sucks.
    [-(
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Wow. There are people on here who don't like Laz as Bond. Incredible in this day and age. Like a throw back to the late 60s.

I despise Laz as Bond. I think he's awful. Pity because the film around him is great.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I agree about lazenby
    I despise Laz as Bond. I think he's awful. Pity because the film around him is great.
    Some folks love the Laz. Not me, but, y'know, some.
    I thought was was kind of okay.

Birdleson wrote: »
    It's hard to imagine any of the others playing that role the way he did, for all the good and the bad that goes with that.
    Brozz could have done the part justice.
    :D
    Birdleson wrote: »
    So could have Sean, but it would have had an entirely different vibe.
    I can actually imagine him looking at Tracy saying the final line all hollow and detached... it would have been grand.
    OHMSS was practically tailor made for Timothy Dalton!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Dalton looked like a spotty teenager in 69.

Astonishing that people can admit to loving OHMSS but claim Laz was awful in the role... His performance is epic as Bond and central to the success of OHMSS. He runs a close 4th to Dalton in my rankings. OHMSS would not have bene the classic movie it is with any other Bond actor IMO - Laz is the only actor who ever brought the necessary vulnerability to the role. And I don't care what Rigg thought of him off-screen - they are dynamite on screen together.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    We've been over all this before...
    Brosnan was never 'bad' as 007, the adjectives that spring to mind when I think back to Pierce's time as Bond are:

Entertaining
    Suave

but also...

Mediocre
    Tepid
    Benign
    By-the-numbers
    Forgettable

He wanted to be ‘all-Bonds to all-people’, if that makes any sense. He was so eager to please - so eager to play the role that he couldn’t get past the pre-conceived images of Connery & Moore he had had permanently engraved onto his sub-consciousness.

Brosnan was a great bloke – smooth as silk, charismatic and ridiculously handsome. He would have made the world’s very best car-salesman – sadly he was only the fourth or fifth best James Bond.

as a relative newcomer, there seems to be an unwritten rule that OHMSS is mentioned in all threads :-)
    It's the gold standard by which all other Bonds should be judged! ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) That's very true, for me at least.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    As the years go by, it really only improves. Incredible that Laz only did one, and it's often argued to be the best in the series. Of course, his 'terrible' performance has nothing to do with the success of the movie - that's all 100% down to the script and director. ;)
    Maybe I'm just no judge of acting talent but I thought Lazenby did a fine job. :)
    No - you're completely wrong. Laz was awful and Brosnan was amazing. ;)

It's just coincidence that Laz did one classic and Bros gave us a string of stinkers.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This thread has been around a while. And nothing changes really.
    Nor does my opinion. I love Brosnan's Bond. He had some great moments and two great Bond films: GE and TND. He was a fine Bond.

TND was a frustrating film because it did so much right. It was seriously one re-write away from being a terrific Bond film. Like everyone else I loved the first hour, and could see so much in the second hour that could have made this a modern Bond classic.

And Spottiswood did a great job in creating some fine Bond moments. He seriously did as much as he could with the script.

So while GE was a functional and enjoyable film, TWINE tried (and mostly failed) to be dramatic and suspenseful and DAD tried to be all things to all people, TND quietly got on with being a true 90s Bond film. I always enjoy watching this one.

As for Brosnan, he was the people's Bond. Just as Dalton appeals to some hardcore fans Brozzer appealed to the masses. And it's the masses that count if we are brutally honest about it.
    I wouldn't say Laz was "awful", in fairness to him he is convincing as a man of action, more so than Moore and Brosnan. Physically he certainly stands out.

It's just that Moore and Brosnan are the more entertaining, more charismatic stars.
    (I know you were sarcastic @Getafix).
    NicNac wrote: »
    This thread has been around a while. And nothing changes really.
    Nor does my opinion. I love Brosnan's Bond. He had some great moments and two great Bond films: GE and TND. He was a fine Bond.

TND was a frustrating film because it did so much right. It was seriously one re-write away from being a terrific Bond film. Like everyone else I loved the first hour, and could see so much in the second hour that could have made this a modern Bond classic.

And Spottiswood did a great job in creating some fine Bond moments. He seriously did as much as he could with the script.

So while GE was a functional and enjoyable film, TWINE tried (and mostly failed) to be dramatic and suspenseful and DAD tried to be all things to all people, TND quietly got on with being a true 90s Bond film. I always enjoy watching this one.

As for Brosnan, he was the people's Bond. Just as Dalton appeals to some hardcore fans Brozzer appealed to the masses. And it's the masses that count if we are brutally honest about it.

Pretty much agree with everything here. Like so many Bond movies, TND trails off badly towards the end. A lot of things were right about it and with a bit of tweaking it could have been a lot better. Having kd lang for the opening titles would have been amazing - would be nice to see a version where they play 'Surrender' over the titles.
    "Surrender" is a brilliant song, I quite liked TND. :)
    NicNac said:
    » show previous quotes

hit the nail on the Head

The PTS is superb. I can pretty much pin point the point at which the wheels come off in Brosnans films. TND is when Bond is handcuffed to Wai lin in the Helicopter and we get a series of clunky one liners and blatant plot exposition

Die another Day - its the crash zoom as the helicoper is flying over Iceland

Goldeneye is solid throughout.

TWINE - probably the moment Denise Richards arrives.
    I am surprised there is so much love for TND when the bad guy was an overblown newsagent.
    I personally always thought Carver was a decent enough villain. I'm not here to defend TND, but I really don't understand the stick Carver gets. Not a classic, but better than any of the other Brosnan baddies IMO, including the incomprehensibly popular Alec Trevelyan.