Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    There are some nice bits of humour in Nolan’s films, they’re just not jokey.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There are some nice bits of humour in Nolan’s films, they’re just not jokey.

Yeah, it’s not a lot of broad humor, especially outside of Batman.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    And the Mendes ones have some proper silly gags in them. I can't imagine Nolan ever doing the sofa gag from Spectre.
    007HallY wrote: »
    I just can’t imagine Nolan being able to convincingly put viewers into that sort of world. He just lacks that flair, that something. The closest he got was Batman Begins, but even the rather interesting Gotham design he set up in that film was scrapped in favour of the bland Chicago-esque one in TDK. I can’t imagine him having enough fun with it to create a great Bond adventure.

Yes definitely.

To be fair, did anyone expect a silly couch gag from Mendes before he actually did that in SP?

Well he'd done them in SF a couple of years before! :)
    I know what you mean, but Nolan has directed films like this before, unlike Mendes, including an actual international spy thriller with a diabolical mastermind, and brought the same dreary tone to everything.

They weren’t actual Bond films though. There’s nothing to suggest that if Nolan had a Bond gig that he would only direct it in the same style and tone as TENET, which is only a one-off film rather than part of a big franchise IP.
    Has he shown he’s capable of any other tone though? 20 years in, I think it’s fair to say that he makes pretty dour films. I don’t see him turning into Baz Luhrmann any time soon.
    You said you’re not a fan of his films, I can understand if all his films kind of just blur together as if there’s little to no variance between. Kind of like how the CraigNotBond crowd dismissed all of Craig’s films as “dour”.

My point is that if he does a Bond film he’ll no doubt have to make it more of a crowd pleaser that is closer to something like BATMAN BEGINS (a movie I wouldn’t label “dour”) and less like TENET.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2023 Posts: 14,961
    Maybe, but I wouldn't have much confidence in him pulling it off as it's something he's never shown interest or aptitude for. I look at someone like Spielberg who was denied the chance to make a Bond movie and went off and made a movie in the same tone, but even better.
    I remember seeing Batman Begins a couple of times back in the day it used to be on telly all the time- I think dour is fairly accurate. It works: it's exciting and quite compelling, but it's in a pretty dour tone.
    “Dour” is too strong a word I think for BATMAN BEGINS. It’s not a Lewis Gilbert film, but I’d say it’s more of a crowd pleaser than QUANTUM
    OF SOLACE was.
    Agreed. Nolan’s films aren’t light, but I wouldn’t call them dour.
    Isn't all this Nolan talk better suited for the Bond 26 director thread?
    I mean, that thread and this basically serve the same purpose at this point.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think Bond could use a return of Nolan. Margaret Nolan.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    echo wrote: »
    I think Bond could use a return of Nolan. Margaret Nolan.

Sadly Margaret “Dink” Nolan passed away in 2020.
    So you might have to settle for a different Nolan.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Ah, Dink...what a woman.
    I'm trying to think of any jokes at all in his films. I guess there were a couple of wry-smiling moments in his Batmans.

I think he's almost entirely sexless in his movies too. I think he's way too cold, po-faced, and unsexy for what I want from a Bond film. Folks say the Craig films were relentlessly grim, but they weren't. There were plenty of giggles in them.

As I said before, Nolan is not the right fit for Bond. He may be a great director but when you look at the tone of his films, which is just part of who he is, he lacks the fun and tongue-in-cheek equation of a Campbell or Young that is required for the kind of Bond film I think we need.
    delfloria wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of any jokes at all in his films. I guess there were a couple of wry-smiling moments in his Batmans.

I think he's almost entirely sexless in his movies too. I think he's way too cold, po-faced, and unsexy for what I want from a Bond film. Folks say the Craig films were relentlessly grim, but they weren't. There were plenty of giggles in them.

As I said before, Nolan is not the right fit for Bond. He may be a great director but when you look at the tone of his films, which is just part of who he is, he lacks the fun and tongue-in-cheek equation of a Campbell or Young that is required for the kind of Bond film I think we need.

That’s why Nolan should get the gig.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2023 Posts: 4,554

To be clear: the tongue-in-cheek qualities come from the script, not the director. If they're in the script, Nolan will film them and probably do so rather well. BUT...

Nolan writes his own stuff, and you're right: his films are largely humorless. (That's not a
    bad thing, it just is what it is.) And I am not sure Babs would let Nolan write AND direct Bond, and I don't think Nolan directs if he isn't the writer.

Just my two cents.

The only times I remember having a bit of a giggle in a Nolan film were when Carrie Ann Moss hocked a phlegm wad in Guy Pearce's beer in Memento and then in Insomnia, there was the "this guy" joke by Nicky Katt.

BTW, not until now did I notice Nolan's love of any one word titles that starts with IN...somnia, ception, terstellar.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    TripAces wrote: »

To be clear: the tongue-in-cheek qualities come from the script, not the director. If they're in the script, Nolan will film them and probably do so rather well. BUT...

Nolan writes his own stuff, and you're right: his films are largely humorless. (That's not a
    bad thing, it just is what it is.) And I am not sure Babs would let Nolan write AND direct Bond, and I don't think Nolan directs if he isn't the writer.

Just my two cents.

The only times I remember having a bit of a giggle in a Nolan film were when Carrie Ann Moss hocked a phlegm wad in Guy Pearce's beer in Memento and then in Insomnia, there was the "this guy" joke by Nicky Katt.

BTW, not until now did I notice Nolan's love of any one word titles that starts with IN...somnia, ception, terstellar.

Perhaps his Bond film will be called 'Intelligence'.
    To be fair it was probably a coincidence with INTERSTELLAR, as it was originally a Spielberg joint before he handed it to Nolan.

Curious if Bond would break him away from one word titles again. So far only Batman has done that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

To be clear: the tongue-in-cheek qualities come from the script, not the director.

I think that’s debatable: a director interprets a script and can choose what tone to bring to it. A bit like how if you looked at a script some of Bond’s lines would seem straightforward and serious, but when you get Roger Moore to say them you get something a little lighter.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 726
    There was plenty of lighter stuff in Inception, depending on how you like your humour: the “you mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling”; Yusef, having rolled the van in spectacular fashion to end up back upright on its wheels, turning around for applause from his passengers only to realise they are, of course, unconscious and unappreciative; the beautiful blonde at the bar turning out to be Eames; Saito revealing he has solved the problem of controlling the plane by simply buying the whole airline…

Inception is one of the more fun Nolan films, with Eames and Arthur often providing the lightness and humour to balance out the gravitas of Cobb. I get some people might not find it fun, but it’s got a good balance. I don’t find it difficult to imagine a good Bond film from looking at the Eames/Arthur stuff.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters

Just my two cents.

IN.....Tenet

Intenet, internet! 😅
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Just my two cents.

Perhaps his Bond film will be called 'Intelligence'.

Or Insufferable. ;)
  • A decade ago I’d probably be thrilled with a Nolan Bond film, but these days I just don’t think his sensibilities really line up with what I want out of it. I also think at this point the script is more important than the director and that’s an area I have little faith in him in these days, to say nothing of his action direction.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My thoughts exactly, @SomethingThatAteHim
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I'm down for a Nolan Bond film any day. I would be very happy with that. The same way I waited for and was really happy when Zimmer was finally announced as a Bond composer....even if he had limited time to score the film.
    As long as there’s humor in Bond that makes me smile, that’s enough. I don’t need Nolan to deliver knee slappers.
    Can all the Nolan comments please be moved to the 'Who should direct a Bond film?' thread. Or maybe start a Nolan is a god thread.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Latest rumours on the WGA strike… some whispers to take with a grain of salt, but they’re growing a little bit louder:
    Some in the “know” are saying the strike could be over by June 30th… Others, of equal status, are saying ridiculous…

But this date is the latest bit to trickle down…

🤞
    They should take their time. Make Hollywood HURT first.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    They should take their time. Make Hollywood HURT first.

Yes, but most writers in the guild aren't multi millionaires, and they're also hurting. And once the strike ends, it'll take a while for some to find work again. I think the goal is to get a fair deal asap and get back to work. It's not about retribution, but fair wages (although it's clear the studios have profited big time by being pschopathic Ebenezer Scrooges).
  • PixiePopPixiePop Sweden
    edited June 2023 Posts: 11
    I have only watched the Bond movies for about a year or so (I was born in 2005, so I guess I am quite young, and I don't know that many other girls my age who watch these movies), but I feel like Sean Connery made a great performance;
    he had a great combination of coldness and charm, and felt "dangerous" in just the right way, at least for fictional character.

I guess maybe his exact portrayal wouldn't work today - he would certainly get in trouble for something like the scene with Dink! - but he did have a really good foundation, so to speak.