Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• 007HallY wrote: »
    Why would EON fork over the amount it costs to pay Nolan's directing fee if

Are you kidding? Nolan is such a huge Bond fan that he would literally write and direct one for free.
  • delfloria wrote: »
    Nothing in his previous work indicates that he has the style and panache that it takes to create a Bond adventure.

His three Batman movies, Inception and Tenet all indicate that he does have the style and panache that it takes to create a Bond adventure. Not only that, he probably has it more than any other living director on planet Earth.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Question for those familiar with Nolan’s career: does he usually have a film/project “on deck” before he finishes one? There’s very little out there regarding Nolan’s next move, and we’re getting rather close to Oppenheimer’s release aren’t me?

Typically he works one film at a time so he can keep focus on a project. However, there was the one case where a script was being developed for THE DARK KNIGHT at the same time he was filming THE PRESTIGE. In that case he likely relied on the help of his brother Jonathan and David Goyer, since they’re credited writers. Also helped that Christian Bale was also the co-star of the film, so they could bounce ideas between shooting.
    When I realize TDK was 15 years ago I sometimes question whether Nolan is past that peak in popularity. I'm not as into TDK trilogy as others are but I do enjoy them occasionally. I love that Nolan appreciates noir and that alone gives him an edge, IMO.
    I wouldn't mind a planned trilogy of Bonds directed by Nolan, providing they're in consistent intervals and don't sacrifice too much of the classic Bond formula. I feel we've had plenty of that in the Craig era.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    When I realize TDK was 15 years ago I sometimes question whether Nolan is past that peak in popularity. I'm not as into TDK trilogy as others are but I do enjoy them occasionally. I love that Nolan appreciates noir and that alone gives him an edge, IMO.
    I wouldn't mind a planned trilogy of Bonds directed by Nolan, providing they're in consistent intervals and don't sacrifice too much of the classic Bond formula. I feel we've had plenty of that in the Craig era.

I wonder about this too, but then I remember that 15 years after Jaws Spielberg still hadn't made Jurassic Park. I think Nolan will have a second wind, and Oppenhiemer might be the beginning of that happening. If the movies wins some oscars and is a critical darling I think Nolan will feel justified in taking another dip into franchise cinema, and what better than bond, the film he's always dreamed of making ever since he was a kid.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Why would EON fork over the amount it costs to pay Nolan's directing fee if

Are you kidding? Nolan is such a huge Bond fan that he would literally write and direct one for free.

Yeah, that’s not how that works.
    What is the likelihood of Nolan directing the next Bond film? I would say it is a strong possibility.
    He LOVES the franchise. He LOVES the character. He has paid homage to Bond in both Inception and Tenet. He has said he has a "specific" idea for Bond that he has kept close to his chest for years now. Also, after Oppenhemer, his slate is clear, right?
    Sooooooo maybe, just maybe, the reason we've had no Bond news for ages is because EON are waiting on Nolan? He would be writing too (another reason there's no script) and, most certainly, Nolan will be casting his own James Bond. So, I really hope this is the case and would also explain the radio silence from EON.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 6,677
    I would love a Nolan Bond film but he would have to up his sexyness because his films tend to be a bit on the frigid side. We need glamour, style, sexyness, escapism, and intelligent writing.

Frankly, with its good and its bad, the Craig era will be hard to top. Very.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have no strong feeling either way about Nolan directing a Bond but if he were to do it I think it would be well done.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 1,351
    I like the general idea and I think it's a kind of "stars aligning" situation with him possibly not having any project ready to go and Bond currently being in a restructure.
    I think they should just do a one and done, honestly. Not just with the director but with everything. Let Nolan do whatever he wants to do with Bond as a palette cleanser and then you can go off and do a more typical, lung running Bond going forward.
    This is major guessing on my part, but it seems Eon isn't convinced of any apporach. Otherwise, they would have moved quicker. Handing off the reigns a tiny bit more for one film and specifically doing an interstitial piece buys you time to find a more long-lasting approach.
    SonofSean wrote: »
    What is the likelihood of Nolan directing the next Bond film? I would say it is a strong possibility.
    He LOVES the franchise. He LOVES the character. He has paid homage to Bond in both Inception and Tenet. He has said he has a "specific" idea for Bond that he has kept close to his chest for years now. Also, after Oppenhemer, his slate is clear, right?
    Sooooooo maybe, just maybe, the reason we've had no Bond news for ages is because EON are waiting on Nolan? He would be writing too (another reason there's no script) and, most certainly, Nolan will be casting his own James Bond. So, I really hope this is the case and would also explain the radio silence from EON.

He also peppered the Batman films with some Bondian touches, like Fox giving Bruce Wayne gadgets is written in a way that’s not too far from Q scenes “perhaps you should read the instructions first”. When he took the gig for BATMAN BEGINS he said it was part of a childhood fulfillment because he had grown up watching blockbusters like Bond films and SUPERMAN.
    Univex wrote: »
    Frankly, with its good and its bad, the Craig era will be hard to top. Very.

I sometimes think we won't get another Bond 'era'. I think the days of one actor doing five or six films are over.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think anyone who yearns for a return to a light-hearted and fun Bond would be pretty disappointed by a Nolan 007 flick.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,901
    I will say the one thing about Nolan is you never know exactly what you’re going to get with one of his films. So yes, I highly doubt it’ll be straightforwardly ‘fun’. Or indeed even fun at all going from his latest films...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm trying to think of any jokes at all in his films. I guess there were a couple of wry-smiling moments in his Batmans.

I think he's almost entirely sexless in his movies too. I think he's way too cold, po-faced, and unsexy for what I want from a Bond film. Folks say the Craig films were relentlessly grim, but they weren't. There were plenty of giggles in them.
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of any jokes at all in his films. I guess there were a couple of wry-smiling moments in his Batmans.

I think he's almost entirely sexless in his movies too. I think he's way too cold, po-faced, and unsexy for what I want from a Bond film. Folks say the Craig films were relentlessly grim, but they weren't. There were plenty of giggles in them.

I get that. Personally I feel he’s a bit too restrained, too cerebral as a storyteller. The great thing about Bond is that it’s a series which allows for the fantastical or even outlandish to crop up - the megalomaniac villains, the elaborate lairs, the elaborate set pieces/stunts etc. It can have a level of escapism and fantasy to it that even the later Mission Impossible films don’t quite have, and as is the case with the later Craig films especially it goes hand in hand with the more dramatic aspects of the story. Doesn’t need to be throwaway or lighthearted, but convincing.

I just can’t imagine Nolan being able to convincingly put viewers into that sort of world. He just lacks that flair, that something. The closest he got was Batman Begins, but even the rather interesting Gotham design he set up in that film was scrapped in favour of the bland Chicago-esque one in TDK. I can’t imagine him having enough fun with it to create a great Bond adventure.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Folks say the Craig films were relentlessly grim, but they weren't. There were plenty of giggles in them.
    Absolutely. QOS is full of great dry wit and black humour, but you'd never know it from its reputation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    And the Mendes ones have some proper silly gags in them. I can't imagine Nolan ever doing the sofa gag from Spectre.
    I just can’t imagine Nolan being able to convincingly put viewers into that sort of world. He just lacks that flair, that something. The closest he got was Batman Begins, but even the rather interesting Gotham design he set up in that film was scrapped in favour of the bland Chicago-esque one in TDK. I can’t imagine him having enough fun with it to create a great Bond adventure.

Yes definitely.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    With Nolan you better get ready for crappy audio mixing. =))
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    You're finally going to hear the Barry 007 theme again, and only that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Does he like that then?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    LucknFate wrote: »
    You're finally going to hear the Barry 007 theme again, and only that.

Sounds like heaven to me
    And the Mendes ones have some proper silly gags in them. I can't imagine Nolan ever doing the sofa gag from Spectre.

Yes definitely.

To be fair, did anyone expect a silly couch gag from Mendes before he actually did that in SP? Who’s to say Nolan is incapable of engaging in some silliness just because his own films typically didn’t?

The silliest thing I can think of by Nolan is when the Batman drives past a toll booth and the toll worker looks into his drink much like the drinking man from TSWLM/MR/FYEO. That whole chase is very much in line with the police chases in Bond films with the Keystone Cops antics.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited June 2023 Posts: 1,430

The year is 2025. 007.com posts a new trailer to its Twitter account. FROM DIRECTOR CHRIS NOLAN ... IAN FLEMING'S ... 007 JAMES BOND ... IS BACK!
    Does he like that then?

Honestly haven't a clue but hope they see this.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,901
    In fairness we are due for a remastered version of the original 007 theme.
    If David Arnold couldn’t bring back the 007 theme, I don’t think anyone will. That’ll always remain a John Barry thing.
  • Agent0099Agent0099 Milford, Michigan
    Christopher Mcquarrie would be the ideal choice for director in my opinion.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited June 2023 Posts: 6,733
    From a musical and technical standpoint, there is nothing difficult about bringing the 007 theme. It would have to be altered to some extent but it could certainly return.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes definitely.

To be fair, did anyone expect a silly couch gag from Mendes before he actually did that in SP?

Well he'd done them in SF a couple of years before! :)
    I know what you mean, but Nolan has directed films like this before, unlike Mendes, including an actual international spy thriller with a diabolical mastermind, and brought the same dreary tone to everything.

Yes definitely.

To be fair, did anyone expect a silly couch gag from Mendes before he actually did that in SP?

Well he'd done them in SF a couple of years before! :)
    I know what you mean, but Nolan has directed films like this before, unlike Mendes, including an actual international spy thriller with a diabolical mastermind, and brought the same dreary tone to everything.

They weren’t actual Bond films though. There’s nothing to suggest that if Nolan had a Bond gig that he would only direct it in the same style and tone as TENET, which is only a one-off film rather than part of a big franchise IP. That’s why Batman gets brought up a lot, because that’s so far the only instance where Nolan got hired by a studio to work on an IP that’s expected to draw in larger crowds than something like DUNKIRK. He’ll no doubt have to work on that kind of mindset again rather than make a Christopher Nolan film where it’s his own world.