Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• edited May 2023 Posts: 21
    Jason Momoa was great as the main villain in Fast X. I have no doubt EON is going to give him a call during this next run.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Just thought I'd mention apparently some podcast has said "the stars have aligned" to make Nolan the director on the new film. My source is cortex videos on YouTube.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just thought I'd mention apparently some podcast has said "the stars have aligned" to make Nolan the director on the new film. My source is cortex videos on YouTube.

Probably wishful thinking. But I'd be in favor of a Nolan Bond film. Count me in with the Nolan posse.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If OPPENHEIMER doesn't fare well at the box office, that would leave Nolan at a place where he needs to deliver a hit film before having his own pet project ever again. Delivering a hit Bond film would probably give him that needed boost. Also, Universal Studios has one more Bond film that they get to distribute before it goes to Warner Bros, and Nolan has recently aligned himself with Universal.

Is that how the stars align?

I'm not expecting Nolan to ever do a Bond film. But if that kind of news drops, it wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps Nolan has always been Eon's pick and that's why nothing has progressed with Bond 25 because they're waiting for Nolan to do his business with OPPENHEIMER before moving on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not expecting Nolan to ever do a Bond film. But if that kind of news drops, it wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps Nolan has always been Eon's pick and that's why nothing has progressed with Bond 25 because they're waiting for Nolan to do his business with OPPENHEIMER before moving on.

That would make sense wouldn't it. I hope it's not true because I'm not a fan of him, but it doesn't feel impossible.
    It makes me wonder if the rumors of Aaron Taylor-Johnson might have stemmed from him being picked by Nolan, given that they already worked together on TENET.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, I can see how Nolan would like to have ATJ as 'his' Bond. Would Barbara Broccoli allow a one-time director to choose who plays Bond for the next decade, though?
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, I can see how Nolan would like to have ATJ as 'his' Bond. Would Barbara Broccoli allow a one-time director to choose who plays Bond for the next decade, though?

Depends on how much they like him in the part. No matter what Nolan’s choice would be, Eon always has the last word.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    There would certainly be a great interest from the general public and film fans if Nolan was to direct Bond 26

I'd be interested but I'm not a big Nolan fan, his films in the last 10 years come across as a bit pretentious. Hopefully he wouldn't write it
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,925
    No matter what Nolan’s choice would be, Eon always has the last word.
    Yes, indeed, and that's how it should be. There's those rumours that Campbell actually preferred Cavill to Craig, for example. I don't think Campbell's view was going to make the slightest difference in Dan's case. Which is lucky - because he was wrong...
    I don't think it'll be Nolan. It wouldn't make much sense on EON's part. We're not in the early 2000s anymore, and Nolan's not a director at a phase in his career where he makes films such as Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, or even Memento. Why would EON fork over the amount it costs to pay Nolan's directing fee if a) they're starting a new era and b) might get a film from this director which might not be what they need from Bond 26?

I'd say the same things about other big name director too by the way - Dennis Villeneuve, Nicholas Winding Refn etc. EON don't need a celebrity director, they need a steady hand.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    It's generally an interesting question whether their play will be to have the new actor as the main pull for the film or they try to put some selling point next to him. Whether that's Nolan or Villeneuve directing, getting someone like Austin Butler, Holland, Downey as the villain or Zendaya, Florence Pugh, Jennifer Lawrence as the female lead. Basically, will they try to have "XYZ is JAMES BOND" as the big message and then he either sinks or swims or hedge their bets and try to get some other blockbuster name involved, to help the film out a bit.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,056
    @ImpertinentGoon They will want to focus on launching the new Bond actor, and not have them overshadowed by big name actors. GE and CR didnt have really big established Hollywood actors in them, and I think it will be the same.

No one at EoN would want the consensus to be "Yeah he was good but Jodie Comer (for example) stole the film from him" and that be the prevailing narrative.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Mallory wrote: »
    @ImpertinentGoon They will want to focus on launching the new Bond actor, and not have them overshadowed by big name actors. GE and CR didnt have really big established Hollywood actors in them, and I think it will be the same.

No one at EoN would want the consensus to be "Yeah he was good by Jodie Comer (for example) stole the film from him" and that be the prevailing narrative.

I think this is right. They have to launch the Bond actor, first and foremost. I expect the new Bond film to be down-to-earth and relatively gritty, like all of the Bond actor debuts.

This film is, incidentally, our best chance for a closer MR or even DAF adaptation.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2023 Posts: 8,083
    In the current time we live in I would take Nolan directing with ATJ as Bond. It's by no means ideal but it'll do...

There's just no assurances anymore in the modern world. We could get black bond, trans Bond, AI generated Sean Connery Bond...

I just want one more era where they do Bond "right" I.e. actual actors, directors, sticking somewhat in the ballpark of what fleming had in mind.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,882

No one at EoN would want the consensus to be "Yeah he was good but Jodie Comer (for example) stole the film from him" and that be the prevailing narrative.

You could apply that to a celebrity director too. Instead of being 'the next James Bond film' the series could fall into the trap of instead making 'the next Christopher Nolan movie'. I don't think they'll want anything to overshadow the next actor as Bond, and indeed the James Bond name in general. And to be fair there aren't many directors (even very famous/established ones) who could do that. Nolan is for better or for worse one of them.
    007HallY wrote: »

You could apply that to a celebrity director too. Instead of being 'the next James Bond film' the series could fall into the trap of instead making 'the next Christopher Nolan movie'. I don't think they'll want anything to overshadow the next actor as Bond, and indeed the James Bond name in general. And to be fair there aren't many directors (even very famous/established ones) who could do that. Nolan is for better or for worse one of them.

I doubt they’ll lean onto Nolan’s name in the marketing. That’ll just be a thing for the film aficionados to discuss. But I think Nolan would be smart enough to understand that it’s Eon’s show and Nolan is only a guest being given the opportunity to play with their toys like all other directors. It would be a James Bond film directed by Christopher Nolan, rather than a Christopher Nolan film that happens to be a Bond adventure.
    007HallY wrote: »

I doubt they’ll lean onto Nolan’s name in the marketing. That’ll just be a thing for the film aficionados to discuss. But I think Nolan would be smart enough to understand that it’s Eon’s show and Nolan is only a guest being given the opportunity to play with their toys like all other directors. It would be a James Bond film directed by Christopher Nolan, rather than a Christopher Nolan film that happens to be a Bond adventure.

True. And to be fair to Nolan he's been in that position before. His name wasn't particularly associated with the 'auteur' label when he did Batman Begins. Then again that was in '05. Regardless I'm still not sure if he's the man for the job.
    Why does Nolan keep coming up as a Bond contender? Nothing in his previous work indicates that he has the style and panache that it takes to create a Bond adventure.
    In a Nolan film Michael Caine would be M or Q
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,882
    delfloria wrote: »
    Why does Nolan keep coming up as a Bond contender? Nothing in his previous work indicates that he has the style and panache that it takes to create a Bond adventure.

Well, I'd say there are traces of Bond in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (the Fox/Wayne scenes operate as the sort of thing we'd see in the old series with Q giving Bond gadgets and them being a sort of 'Chekov's Gun' for him to use). I think people have seen similarities to OHMSS and Inception's climax.

I mean, I can tell he at least likes the Bond films and may even be inspired by them in a sense. I'd even say much of his early work is tight, gripping, and if he had been gotten the gig in '05 I think we might have gotten a cool film.

That’s exactly why he’s good for the gig!
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited June 2023 Posts: 652

He's forged a career out of making successful, high-concept action adventures. Sounds ideal for Bond to me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    When in the past have EON ever gone with a well-known 'celebrity' director?
    Spielberg wanted to direct in the late 70's, early 80's but was declined. The closest we've got to a well-known director would be Sam Mendes, or Marc Forster. And they're not household name directors.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited June 2023 Posts: 1,429
    Bond movies are event films and Nolan is an event film director, regardless of scale. Oppenheimer will be an event, insofar that it will be Oscar talk all year if not a deeper cultural penetration regardless of box office. We're talking about someone who made more Batman movies than Tim Burton. Nobody is beyond Eon's purview and I'll remind you that Danny Boyle was selected after being offered a Knighthood.

Part of me thinks a more powerful working director taking up some of the "producing" slack may be welcome, (especially if one of the siblings, you know which, takes a back seat), a professional who can introduce a new actor in a controlled environment. Nolan is a professional (despite the recent drama with Warner Bros.).

Sure, it's not the traditional Eon way to go with a "celebrity" director, but starting with Forster, they've been trending more and more that way up to Boyle. Of course, Boyle's situation may have completely burned any chances of another prestige director having a shot, or it could be a sign of where the producers are going. We'll see.
    Benny wrote: »
    Spielberg wanted to direct in the late 70's, early 80's but was declined. The closest we've got to a well-known director would be Sam Mendes, or Marc Forster. And they're not household name directors.

There was also the unwritten rule that no American directors would ever do a Bond film, and that was broken with the last film. Never say never…
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Benny wrote: »

Mendes was already an Oscar-winner when he did Skyfall. He was very much a prestige director, and certainly a name in some households.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I never said it would never happen.
    It’s not normally the way EON pick a director, but anything can happen. ;)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Let's presume there's a Nolan/director/actor surprise in late Summer with a new Bond. What's the move to expect? Empire Magazine announcement spread on the date of a press conference?
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited June 2023 Posts: 1,006
    Question for those familiar with Nolan’s career: does he usually have a film/project “on deck” before he finishes one? There’s very little out there regarding Nolan’s next move, and we’re getting rather close to Oppenheimer’s release aren’t me?