Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I tend to prefer European actors in Bond films for some reason, but it's not a requirement (I liked everyone in TMWTGG for instance). I just would like the films to retain a little bit of that snobbish air which the best ones have. I want them to feel distinct and different from run of the mill action fare. I'm not sure if that's just in the casting though. I think it's also in the sets. GE for instance feels more like a Bond film to me than DAD and I think a lot of that comes down to the cast being a bit Euro. I guess I'm not too keen on American actors in major roles. Supporting roles are fine, or comic relief like JW.

This is an interesting and important point, @bondjames – and one I feel strongly about. One of the main things that attracts me to the Bond films is the fact that they feel very European. It's not something I find easy to put my finger on, but locations and casting play a big part of course. FRWL as an example, has the Istanbul setting, the travel through Europe with the Orient Express – and the Venice finale. Another example – TB, takes place (mostly) outside Europe, in Bahamas. If you look at the cast though, it's trademark Bond Euro heavy. Rik Van Nutter was American of course, Lois Maxwell Canadian and Guy Doleman New Zealand-born, but the latter two were regularly playing in British productions (Doleman was brilliant in the recurring role as Colonel Ross in the Harry Palmer films in the 60's).

In contrast, I've never been to crazy about the sequences and films where Bond is in the US; LALD, AVTAK (of course), and LTK. Every time Bond is placed in US locations you see in other Hollywood productions, it's like Bond loses some of that uniqueness that separates the franchise from the other big Hollywood productions. I'd argue Bond should always be heavy on that Old World-feel, and that's why I'm equally intrigued and nervous about Fukunaga directing. I know it's silly to be skeptical about a non-European directing, but that's just the way I feel.

I hope, no matter what happens with the franchise after Craig and in the future, that Bond remains a very European affair.
    Agreed @Torgeirtrap and TB is a very good example of the film retaining that flavour that you and I like while still being in a Caribbean setting due to those all important casting choices. 'Old World-feel' - I like that term - it captures what I was trying to get across.

Don't know if 'Old World-feel' is the correct term to use, but I couldn't think of another way to put it. Bond being pictured in various places in Italy among those old buildings and streets for example, only enhances that feel.
    I think as long as a certain class and style is maintained, then a new world setting can work. So perhaps cinematography and casting are doubly important when one goes to a more mundane or normal location. That's where TB or DN blows LTK out of the water for instance imho (particularly in the early Florida set scenes).

Good point. They've gone the right way about it so far, and I hope they keep doing so!
    I like LALD a lot though and think it works well for some reason despite the large American cast and setting. I think that's because there's somewhat of an overt contrast between Roger Moore's essential Englishness (which is so pronounced for me in that film) set against the locational backdrop and the villains. They call attention to it and emphasize it as well ("White man in Harlem". "Good thinking Bond"). There's an element of the exotic due to how it's filmed. It's also very much in his attire and the virginal Solitaire also plays into that somewhat. It's very much an 'Englishman in New York' feel. Moreover, the film has a high benign bizarre quotient which offsets any familiarity which may come from the location. Such is not the case with LTK, AVTAK or DAD.

LALD works mainly because of that 'Englishman in New York' feel you mention – and the contrast to the American characters. That's an important factor, IMO. Even so, the film really settles for me when Bond arrives in San Monique – with the more exotic locations. The supernatural elements are interesting too.
    Definitely. It's very unique for a Bond film but comes together beautifully. Geoffrey Holder in particular gave me the chills as a kid.

It certainly is unique, and they really made it work. So often when it comes to supernatural elements in films, it's a fine balance between the ones that do it brilliantly, and those that simply don't work out at all, IMO. It's not a genre/element I care a lot for, but when done right, it's alright.

Geoffrey Holder was indeed a scary figure in LALD! Just love how he portrayed Baron Samedi.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Univex wrote: »
    They tried to bring back those supernatural elements, or morbid symbology in Spectre. Didn't work that well, IMO. Wish it did. Was hoping that it would, actually, as I think it's very Fleming.
    That's a good point actually. I completely missed that aspect in SP.
    I tend to prefer European actors in Bond films for some reason, but it's not a requirement (I liked everyone in TMWTGG for instance). I just would like the films to retain a little bit of that snobbish air which the best ones have. I want them to feel distinct and different from run of the mill action fare. I'm not sure if that's just in the casting though. I think it's also in the sets. GE for instance feels more like a Bond film to me than DAD and I think a lot of that comes down to the cast being a bit Euro. I guess I'm not too keen on American actors in major roles. Supporting roles are fine, or comic relief like JW.

This is an interesting and important point, @bondjames – and one I feel strongly about. One of the main things that attracts me to the Bond films is the fact that they feel very European. It's not something I find easy to put my finger on, but locations and casting play a big part of course. FRWL as an example, has the Istanbul setting, the travel through Europe with the Orient Express – and the Venice finale. Another example – TB, takes place (mostly) outside Europe, in Bahamas. If you look at the cast though, it's trademark Bond Euro heavy. Rik Van Nutter was American of course, Lois Maxwell Canadian and Guy Doleman New Zealand-born, but the latter two were regularly playing in British productions (Doleman was brilliant in the recurring role as Colonel Ross in the Harry Palmer films in the 60's).

In contrast, I've never been to crazy about the sequences and films where Bond is in the US; LALD, AVTAK (of course), and LTK. Every time Bond is placed in US locations you see in other Hollywood productions, it's like Bond loses some of that uniqueness that separates the franchise from the other big Hollywood productions. I'd argue Bond should always be heavy on that Old World-feel, and that's why I'm equally intrigued and nervous about Fukunaga directing. I know it's silly to be skeptical about a non-European directing, but that's just the way I feel.

I hope, no matter what happens with the franchise after Craig and in the future, that Bond remains a very European affair.
    Agreed @Torgeirtrap and TB is a very good example of the film retaining that flavour that you and I like while still being in a Caribbean setting due to those all important casting choices. 'Old World-feel' - I like that term - it captures what I was trying to get across.

Don't know if 'Old World-feel' is the correct term to use, but I couldn't think of another way to put it. Bond being pictured in various places in Italy among those old buildings and streets for example, only enhances that feel.
    I think as long as a certain class and style is maintained, then a new world setting can work. So perhaps cinematography and casting are doubly important when one goes to a more mundane or normal location. That's where TB or DN blows LTK out of the water for instance imho (particularly in the early Florida set scenes).

Good point. They've gone the right way about it so far, and I hope they keep doing so!
    I like LALD a lot though and think it works well for some reason despite the large American cast and setting. I think that's because there's somewhat of an overt contrast between Roger Moore's essential Englishness (which is so pronounced for me in that film) set against the locational backdrop and the villains. They call attention to it and emphasize it as well ("White man in Harlem". "Good thinking Bond"). There's an element of the exotic due to how it's filmed. It's also very much in his attire and the virginal Solitaire also plays into that somewhat. It's very much an 'Englishman in New York' feel. Moreover, the film has a high benign bizarre quotient which offsets any familiarity which may come from the location. Such is not the case with LTK, AVTAK or DAD.

LALD works mainly because of that 'Englishman in New York' feel you mention – and the contrast to the American characters. That's an important factor, IMO. Even so, the film really settles for me when Bond arrives in San Monique – with the more exotic locations. The supernatural elements are interesting too.
    Definitely. It's very unique for a Bond film but comes together beautifully. Geoffrey Holder in particular gave me the chills as a kid.

It certainly is unique, and they really made it work. So often when it comes to supernatural elements in films, it's a fine balance between the ones that do it brilliantly, and those that simply don't work out at all, IMO. It's not a genre/element I care a lot for, but when done right, it's alright.
    Me neither and I agree that it makes all the difference how it's done and used.
    The old world feel has been very present in the Craig era, and made it better for it. I hope they don't lose that at any point.
    True. When I saw CR for the first time I welcomed the return of these elements, which I felt had been missing since GE (TND had some of it in Hamburg, but I felt it was spoiled by some Americanisms thrown in, like station break etc).
    European casting is key. Your points on TB are spot on. It's on my top 3, because of that. FRWL being number one for the same reason. OHMSS's there as well.
    All great films. The Swiss intro sequence in OHMSS is absolutely top notch. They really make you feel that location as Bond arrives to meet Bunt in that one. It's dripping with atmosphere and local sounds. It breathes.

They have to recapture that going forward. Such a simple thing but often missed.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Re. casting, I hope they continue casting people that are not household names for central characters in each film. A bit of the fun is discovering an actor or actress you're totally or a bit unfamiliar with – especially when they really deliver (Eva Green for example).
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Re. casting, I hope they continue casting people that are not household names for central characters in each film. A bit of the fun is discovering an actor or actress you're totally or a bit unfamiliar with – especially when they really deliver.
    I'm completely with you on this. That was refreshing in GE and CR as well (Izabella, Famke & Gottfried John were revelations, as were Eva and Mads).
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,665
    @bondjames, have you read Some Kind of Hero? If you haven't, you should, you'll love it. It really changes your perspective about the production of these films.
    No I haven't @Univex, although I've read a lot about it here. I'm assuming there will be an updated version soon, and am waiting for that before plunking down some coin.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Re. casting, I hope they continue casting people that are not household names for central characters in each film. A bit of the fun is discovering an actor or actress you're totally or a bit unfamiliar with – especially when they really deliver.
    I'm completely with you on this. That was refreshing in GE and CR as well (Izabella, Famke & Gottfried John were revelations, as were Eva and Mads).

Agree with the rest of the names you mention as well. I knew about Mads Mikkelsen from other roles though, so CR was only a confirmation that he'd do well in a big production like Bond. There are plenty more Scandinavian actors and actresses to choose from, should EON ever consider that again.
    No I haven't @Univex, although I've read a lot about it here. I'm assuming there will be an updated version soon, and am waiting for that before plunking down some coin.

Not an expensive book, though. And they go up until Boyle had confirmed his involvement. Reading the Pierce and Craig eras gives you a new vision on how things are conducted behind the scenes at EON offices, and it enlightens you on any Bond25 consideration you have. It has done wonders to me as a fan, truly. And I thought I had an extensive bibliography on Bond. But this one, this one is the bible.
    PS: albeit being a rather ugly book to look at. Not that that should matter, of course.

Not an expensive book, though. And they go up until Boyle had confirmed his involvement. Reading the Pierce and Craig eras gives you a new vision on how things are conducted behind the scenes at EON offices, and it enlightens you on any Bond25 consideration you have. It has done wonders to me as a fan, truly. And I thought I had an extensive bibliography on Bond. But this one, this one is the bible.
    Thanks, I'll definitely make sure to pick up the latest version. My favourite Bond book so far is The James Bond Films by Steve Jay Rubin (I have an older edition).
  • bondjames wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    My teenage kids don't deflect as well, lol. Goal posts are pushed and so on.

My original statement, on this this thread is this:
    Thinking more about what @Shardlake wrote earlier today and looking back at some of his past posts: he's not a Spectre apologist (I'm far more guilty of this, lol). In fact he despises the last film. Yet he writes of B25 and beyond with much optimism I find lacking in the critics of the last film. Many seem to be predicting a tragedy for the next film, and "challenges" for the franchise as it moves forward.

Shardlake's perspective is far more interesting since, although he has a dislike that matches anyone re: SP, he doesn't weigh the future of the next film, nor the continuation of the franchise, on one misfire; his optimism for the next film is palpable yet realistic -- he loves this franchise, the Golden Era and three out of four DC films. He's not doom and gloom but seems to understand the big picture: this series has gone through ebbs and flows, highs and lows, and always responds with a correction.

From my understanding, Shardlake didn't like the PB era, but is not disrespectful of it, nor the producers (like some are today-- because of one or two films they don't like). It just wasn't his "thing", but never led him to the ledge, so to speak...

This is quite an admirable stance and a respectful one. And it shows a perspective that's mature and "big picture"-- one film does not a franchise make.

We could all learn from @Shardlake's last post, if only to stop the theatrics of negativity.

As a side note: one of my favourite words is hyperbole. Baz and Deadline were not writing hyperbole...

Hyperbole is a statement of exaggeration to make a point, like: I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

What Baz and DL were reporting were snippets that leaked to them and they reported (but not before @ColonelSun).

So I guess my point is, use hyperbole in the correct manner, and don't insinuate that your POV is of many on this site, but of some...
    Hyperbole? Were you directing that at me? Sorry I missed that. My point when I made a statement about hyperbole earlier in the Production Thread was in the context of Boyle's golden idea. Nobody knows what that was, and yet there are some members who are still interested in it, and allowing the comments about a golden idea to impact their perspective on what may come with B25. I think that's unfortunate. We have no idea if there even was golden idea, because we don't know what it was. That was the context under which I expressed that remark, particularly as Boyle was very humble about not being 'fresh' enough in one of his comments just prior to leaving the gig. I also said that there have been statements about highs, golden ideas and excellent supporting ideas (MP, M, Q) which seem exaggerated given we know nothing about this film yet. I stand by that remark because that's the way I feel.

Regarding insinuations that my POV is that of many on this site: I didn't realize I was insinuating anything. That suggests something bad or unpleasant, which was not my intention. You've used that term in relation to me in the past as I recall. I was merely stating that I share the opinion of a lot of members on this site regarding what they want to see in a post-Craig world, which is the subject of this thread. I can't say all, I can't say most. Could I say many? Hmm, maybe. I don't know. Did I mispeak? Perhaps. You seem to think so and maybe I did because I'm not sure. I certainly didn't have any malicious intent when I made the statement, at least not to the extent of what I'm sensing directed at me from you at this moment.

Re: hyperbole, you actually were stating that what Baz was doing was hyperbole ... a very incorrect definition on your part.

Hmmm... maybe you misspoke, @bondjames ... my good night to you (from a beef-head), lol
    I think I've already explained what I was saying when referring to Baz. I'm a huge proponent of the man, as is @AlexanderWaverly who mentioned Deadline (I can't remember what Deadline said), but my comment still stands - it is he who mentioned 'golden idea' and that is what some members have (rightly or wrongly) clung to, and I can understand that.

Sometimes I wonder if you misunderstand my posts or the full context of what I'm saying. If it's a problem just ignore me, as I'd rather not have to engage in this back and forth with you any more. I've not had this sort of issue with other members here that I can remember, and truth be told, it's a bit overwhelming for me.

You're entitled to your views and opinions. I will not question them even if I disagree. I'd appreciate the same courtesy and I think most members would as well. I think everyone here should be allowed to express themselves without fear of being called out in a negative manner, either individually or in unison (as far as I'm aware, everyone is expressing their own ideas in this forum). We're never all going to agree anyway.

--
    @Univex, thanks again. I appreciate it. Have a good night lads.

@bondjames This is just FYI only.

Deadline first weighed in about the Boyle-Hodge idea on Feb. 21, 2018
    https://deadline.com/2018/02/james-bond-danny-boyle-john-hodge-daniel-craig-bond-25-queen-elizabeth-ii-mgm-trainspotting-1202298157/

Excerpts:

"Boyle had an idea for a very specific 007 movie, and he and his Trainspotting partner John Hodge have teamed up to work out the beats. Hodge is writing that version and if it all works out, that would be the 007 film that Boyle would helm."

"MGM and producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson sparked to Boyle’s idea enough to engage Hodge, who has quietly been writing their version.

Hodge won’t be done for a couple of months, but when he turns in the script, one of two things will happen. MGM and the producers will like it enough to shelve the movie they were contemplating — the listed writers are Neal Purvis & Robert Wade, whose 007 credits include Skyfall, Spectre and Casino Royale — and they will instead make the version that was cooked up by the Trainspotting team."

Baz had a story on March 8.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5480285/Danny-Boyle-set-charge-new-Bond-film.html

"Craig attended a meeting with James Bond producers Barbara Broccoli, Michael G. Wilson and Boyle and his Trainspotting writing partner John Hodge, where the film-makers pitched their vision for Bond 25.

"‘They took the idea to Barbara, never believing for a minute she would go for it. But she’s excited by the concept — and so is her producing partner Michael,’ a closely connected source told me in Los Angeles."
    Thanks @AlexanderWaverly. It's coming back to me now. So many changes have occured lately.
    PS: albeit being a rather ugly book to look at. Not that that should matter, of course.

This is a difficult comment to read as a graphic designer :))
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I agree with you, and I happen to be American. Bond films really don't work here.

And I don't think Asia works much better. Sure, there's the scenery of YOLT and the moodiness of SF, but other than those two films, I don't think it's particularly Bondian.

I'd rather the films stick to Europe (and the Caribbean). Those are the literary roots. There are still plenty of untapped (by Eon) northern and (especially) eastern Europe countries that could bring the "Cold War" feel...and of course they can always go back to France, Italy, etc.

There's always something exciting about Bond going to a new country.
    I have a feeling after b25 there will another long hiatus. It'll take 3 years minimum time to get the next actor for the role.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I have a feeling after b25 there will another long hiatus. It'll take 3 years minimum time to get the next actor for the role.

I agree. I loathe my own opinion regarding B26, but I think it will be even longer than the 89-95 gap.
    depending how craig looks in this next one, maybe just maybe he can get away with doing b26 but only if it's a three year gap. With all the writers and content they've gone through they have enough story for another film with craig.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »

I agree. I loathe my own opinion regarding B26, but I think it will be even longer than the 89-95 gap.

Good lord I certainly hope not!
    Even the Bourne movies are at their best when set in Europe, it does have a different vibe from anything the US has to offer. Even is LALD is indeed one of the stronger movies situated in the US, it really uses the decor.
    And Bond in the Caribbean is always a hit too, perhaps due to the colonial roots?- I remember one of the Ludlum novels starting a Bourne story from the one of the isles in this sea as well, and it made logical sense.
    echo wrote: »

I agree with you, and I happen to be American. Bond films really don't work here.

And I don't think Asia works much better. Sure, there's the scenery of YOLT and the moodiness of SF, but other than those two films, I don't think it's particularly Bondian.

I'd rather the films stick to Europe (and the Caribbean). Those are the literary roots. There are still plenty of untapped (by Eon) northern and (especially) eastern Europe countries that could bring the "Cold War" feel...and of course they can always go back to France, Italy, etc.

There's always something exciting about Bond going to a new country.

There's certainly a lot of countries yet to explore for EON and Bond. I'm really looking forward to read where he's going in Bond 25. Hopefully a few new, interesting locations.
    Yeah. Bond in America is like GTA in Europe. It just doesn't work.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Me, The Next James Bond? No Thanks. (Says nobody, ever.)
    Pretty good article.
    Me, The Next James Bond? No Thanks. (Says nobody, ever.)
    Pretty good article.
    I agree. Insightful. I didn't realize Roger Moore was offered the role after Connery first stepped down (I knew about Dalton). The same goes for James Mason and Rod Taylor.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    https://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/2019/01/barry-award-nominations-2019.html?m=1

FAAD just got a nomination for best thriller. Evidence enough for Horowitz to come back for a third book? Or to have him adapt his book for a screenplay for the next Bond actor's first outing? Considering it's a origin story, this is where EON should go next.
    EON could even have Horowitz write an original screenplay/story.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Please, no!
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States

Please, no!

Do we really want Purvis and Wade to do another? I say give him a chance but by adapting one of his own 007 novels.

Please, no!

Really liked his two books, so I'd be happy with him taking on a Bond script!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

Agree with the rest of the names you mention as well. I knew about Mads Mikkelsen from other roles though, so CR was only a confirmation that he'd do well in a big production like Bond. There are plenty more Scandinavian actors and actresses to choose from, should EON ever consider that again.

Yepp, Mikael Persbrandt, to name but one. Or Nikolaj Lie Kaas. Or Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.