Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

With the two co-chairs of MGM and staunch supporters of Broccoli and Wilson having
    resigned, figuring out where Bond goes from here just got a bit harder.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    delfloria wrote: »
    With the two co-chairs of MGM and staunch supporters of Broccoli and Wilson having
    resigned, figuring out where Bond goes from here just got a bit harder.

When I saw that news piece, my first thought was "as expected", but it seems like it wasn't clear at all that MGM's leaders would be replaced. So now we'll have to see who comes in and when. I still strongly believe that there will be a leadership shakeup at EON as well, but I don't dare to speculate how the MGM news changes EON's timeline on that and on everything else. But I agree that this is another spinning wheel that has to be accounted for.
    Just my 2 penneth but, tonally, I want a Bond with more charm and warmth and less internal emotion stuff (I dont think I'm alone in this). Thats does not mean a return to RM but there are ellements of his portrayal that I really miss.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 484
    "‘No Time to Die’ Producer Barbara Broccoli on Casting the Next James Bond: ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’"

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/barbara-broccoli-james-bond-daniel-craig-macbeth-1235254646/

Most relevant paragraphs:

“It’s a big decision,” Broccoli told Variety at the Longacre Theatre on Thursday at the opening night of “Macbeth” on Broadway, which she is producing and in which Craig is also starring. “It’s not just casting a role. It’s about a whole rethink about where we’re going. I’m just here celebrating one of the greatest actors on the planet, Daniel Craig.”

“He has an amazing range and he can do anything,” Broccoli said of Craig. “He’s just the greatest actor ever, and I think audiences will be thrilled by this portrayal [Broccoli is talking about “Macbeth” on Broadway] because he’s funny, he’s dangerous, he’s all the things you would want. Together — he and Ruth — it’s just sexy… The chemistry between the two of them, the volatility, it’s like fireworks and it’s fun and sexy and there’s lots of blood.”

My opinion: Uh-oh. "He’s just the greatest actor ever"? This once again confirms that Broccoli is completely infatuated with Craig. It seems that without Craig, Barbara Broccoli's heart won't be in it as much, which means that going foreward it will be paramount to hire writers and directors who are really eager to work on Bond films. Now (more than ever before) is the time for EON to give Nolan a call.
    To be fair, Broccoli is also promoting Craig's Macbeth, which she happens to be producing. Producers regularly discuss their stars in hyperbolic terms.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Revelator wrote: »
    To be fair, Broccoli is also promoting Craig's Macbeth, which she happens to be producing. Producers regularly discuss their stars in hyperbolic terms.

Exactly. The “infatuation” theory is getting very old. Does she have a special relationship with her actor? Of course, they made films and theatre together and in the process generated billions of dollars; no less different than any other successful business partnership.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited April 2022 Posts: 5,969
    "‘No Time to Die’ Producer Barbara Broccoli on Casting the Next James Bond: ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’"

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/barbara-broccoli-james-bond-daniel-craig-macbeth-1235254646/

“It’s a big decision,” Broccoli told Variety at the Longacre Theatre on Thursday at the opening night of “Macbeth” on Broadway, which she is producing and in which Craig is also starring. “It’s not just casting a role. It’s about a whole rethink about where we’re going. I’m just here celebrating one of the greatest actors on the planet, Daniel Craig.”

“He has an amazing range and he can do anything,” Broccoli said of Craig. “He’s just the greatest actor ever, and I think audiences will be thrilled by this portrayal [Broccoli is talking about “Macbeth” on Broadway] because he’s funny, he’s dangerous, he’s all the things you would want. Together — he and Ruth — it’s just sexy… The chemistry between the two of them, the volatility, it’s like fireworks and it’s fun and sexy and there’s lots of blood.”

My opinion: Uh-oh. "He’s just the greatest actor ever"? This once again confirms that Broccoli is completely infatuated with Craig. It seems that without Craig, Barbara Broccoli's heart won't be in it as much, which means that going foreward it will be paramount to hire writers and directors who are really eager to work on Bond films. Now (more than ever before) is the time for EON to give Nolan a call.

When's the last time Nolan made a good film? 2010? His last one was unwatchable.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2022 Posts: 23,534
    peter wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »

Exactly. The “infatuation” theory is getting very old. Does she have a special relationship with her actor? Of course, they made films and theatre together and in the process generated billions of dollars; no less different than any other successful business partnership.

I too fail to see what's so "oh oh" about that. Infatuation or not, it'd be strange if she came off lukewarm regarding the big star in stuff she produced. I am quite sure that MGW is as "infatuated" with Craig as she is, but somehow he gets spared a lot more. Anything that isn't liked is Barbara's fault -- no, wait, "Babs" -- while the good stuff is credited to Michael? I am not so sure that assessment is always fair.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Especially as MGW came up with the whole Brofeld malarkey. That really doesn't fall into the 'good stuff' category, does it...!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Venutius wrote: »
    Especially as MGW came up with the whole Brofeld malarkey. That really doesn't fall into the 'good stuff' category, does it...!

It's sexism.

Everything good is attributed to Michael and everything bad to Barbara, because she's a woman.

But in reality, she oversaw the LTK truck chase. And as you said, Michael came up with Brofeld.
  • echo wrote: »
    It's sexism.
    It has nothing to do with sexism. I didn't mention MGW for two reasons: 1. Only Broccoli made a comment in that article. 2. MGW won't be part of the producing team going foreward.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited April 2022 Posts: 8,485
    echo wrote: »
    It's sexism.
    It has nothing to do with sexism. I didn't mention MGW for two reasons: 1. Only Broccoli made a comment in that article. 2. MGW won't be part of the producing team going foreward.

Re: point 2: I wouldn't be so sure of that. I know I'm not-- at least for the foreseeable future.
  • echo wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »

It's sexism.

Everything good is attributed to Michael and everything bad to Barbara, because she's a woman.

But in reality, she oversaw the LTK truck chase. And as you said, Michael came up with Brofeld.

I never knew she oversaw the truck chase in LTK until now. That’s my highlight of LTK as a film.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited May 2022 Posts: 8,022
    I think MGW gets a pass from many just for his writing credits for the John Glen films, even though that’s actually a fraction of his tenure in EON and it was Richard Maibaum who did most of the work.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Barbara deserves enormous credit for championing Daniel and setting a new course for Bond. She's an excellent producer
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Barbara deserves enormous credit for championing Daniel and setting a new course for Bond. She's an excellent producer

I think so too, @Jordo007. Another thing I like about her is that she keeps her cool despite a bunch of "entitled fans" telling her how to run her business.
    “Babs” is just friendly with her Bonds.

TELEMMGLPICT000244758096_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqj0saYuNBKspnrJj310rGJjp6x15rSGmQEIiUJerso2o.jpeg

94d35ed03722a537e905d57d22280813.jpg

Print-Issue-42-fea_broccoli-Brosnan-GettyImages-3189290-EMBED-2021.jpg?w=788

Of course I dunno if her and Broz have been at an event together since 2002.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Looking at those pictures with Dalton, with a little help with his hair, he could have convincingly played Bond well into the 2000s
    If he had that third breakout film the way Moore did with TSWLM, I could see him last up to maybe 1999. Even 2002, if they really wanted to celebrate 40 years with Dalton. It’s a pity he wasn’t given the same chance.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Barbara is really as beautiful as the Bond girls and even more beautiful than a lot of the Bond girls. I just don't understand why she doesn't do cameos. My thinking is, she's shy.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 8,022
    My understanding is she’s always not been a fan of stepping out to do interviews but as a producer it’s just something she’s gotta plow through. Notice in earlier documentaries like the DVDs from 2000, she never really speaks. It’s mostly Wilson and Dana Broccoli. Wasn’t until the Everything or Nothing documentary in 2012 she started to do a little more.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Barbara is really as beautiful as the Bond girls and even more beautiful than a lot of the Bond girls. I just don't understand why she doesn't do cameos. My thinking is, she's shy.

Yes, she is an attractive lady.

But let's not forget Michael Wilson, a real ladies' man:

403e815749c64fc5e53f5e1625e0e0f6

We should do an elimination game of the sexiest Bond producers.

Albert R. Broccoli
    Harry Saltzman
    Charles K. Feldman
    Jerry Bresler
    Jack Schwartzman (-1)
    Barbara Broccoli (+1)

Michael G. Wilson
    I always thought Michael G Wilson looked like slightly dorkier Stan Lee whenever the wore sunglasses.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Haha! Nice one about Michael, guys. Yeah, I agree that Barbara is somewhat reticent.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    “It’s the tache, right? Chicks love the tache.”
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Agreed. 100%.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

So I guess nothing was done in the 18 months while the film, theaters and the world was in limbo. I'm not here to tell people how to spend their time, but I'm just surprised that there is the potential that nothing was ever done besides trying to get NTTD out in the theaters.

I guess that they didn't want any leaks or any firm speculation that would overshadowed the release of NTTD and DC's final time in the Bond spotlight and that's understandable. I mean I wouldn't want any red carpet questions asked on the premiere of NTTD about what actors are they looking at moving forward. Probably looking at late 2024 at a minimum for the next film. That gives the rest of this year and all of next to get their ducks in a row to see what they're going to do.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm surprised at that too make, you'd think given the delays and the uncertainty around it, the producers would at least be mapping out the direction of the next era of Bond. Maybe they were waiting to see the reaction of NTTD?

I hope they're bluffing and there is a lot more done than they've let on, the last thing we want is another 4-5 year delay.

Great point on the speculation thing though, I'd never thought of that
  • peterpeter Toronto
    There was a lot of activity during Covid-- the main one being: marketing and releasing a successful film that had been sitting in the digital can, losing money on interest alone.

Each of the Bond films is its own entity and needs a budget and financing; with the last film not yet released, who was going to finance the development of the next film (especially when the last film hadn't been released)? It cost money to call in script writers to develop and execute even the simplest of outlines.

And speaking of financing, there was too much volatility surrounding MGM to even think about the next film, let alone start throwing money at it (in effect, there really was no money!).

And then there were some questions at EoN and how this family company was going to move forward...

There was a lot going on behind the scenes that needed figuring out that we, and the press, weren't privy to...
    Only time will tell?