BOND POLLS 2017: 007 Literature Contest, TOP 10 Fleming's Best [RESULTS, WINNER & RUNNER-UP, page 8]

123457»

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I've often said I'd love to have seen Pierce in a fairly straight adaptation. Give him a chance to push himself a little with some actual Fleming. Pipe dream, I know.

Brosnan in a film based on TSWLM novel? Interesting. What's Tarantino up to?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119
    And on to 7th place:

SSD0Hql.jpg
    JjXuKE0.jpg

Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm going to guess that DN is next.

Why not TOP 2 ;-)?
    and 6th place is for.....
    SSD0Hql.jpg
    Bdkolvt.jpg
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Definitely glad TLD cracks the top 10.
    Time for the almighty TOP 5!

SSD0Hql.jpg
    r30Y2Bz.jpg
    Hey @BondJames, aren't you a bit into Bond books?
    Here's 4th place:

SSD0Hql.jpg
    68EG9X5.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good top three there.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It's rare on one of these polls that I can't really have too any complaints but I really don't mind from here. The top three is on the money and the order isn't that important to be honest.

(That said TB way too high. LALD, TLD and GF all comfortably better.)
    *drum soundsss* Time for the bronze medalist:
    SSD0Hql.jpg
    SSEgT6E.jpg
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Whaaaat. Daylight robbery!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    *drum soundsss* Time for the bronze medalist:
    SSD0Hql.jpg
    SSEgT6E.jpg

Wait, what.... bronze? Ok, I could see why OHMSS might get a higher placing, but FRWL? Don't get me wrong, it is one of the best books, but if I were a betting man, I would have put money on MR getting 1st place.
    My favourite seems to always end up third.

Film contest OHMSS came in third and for the novel contest MR is the bronze entry.

No reason to complain however.
    I'm not really complaining.

Just sort of muttering darkly to myself and sulking a bit.
    Ready for the winner and runner-up?
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Yes :-D
    (I would have bet MR will end at #1 or #2 actually ...)
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    It really is 50/50 to be honest. I prefer OHMSS overall but the first and last thirds of FRWL are perfection.

Either a worthy winner, as would have been MR to be fair.
    Are you ready??
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I think I'm in the minority but I prefer the later books (GF onwards) to the early ones. I completely understand why people love CR-DN, and don't get me wrong I love most of them too, but I liked how much more introspective and experimental they got later on, and how you could see they were being written with the films in mind (TB is so epic and cinematic).

That said, OHMSS is sort of the best of both worlds: it's a tight brilliant thriller and also continues to flesh out Bond's character and take some risks. I think I had it in my top three too. So of the two left, that's the one I'm rooting for. FRWL is very good, I love the atmosphere, particuarly in the SMERSH scenes (they come across as much more frightening than SPECTRE to be fair), but there just isn't enough Bond for my liking and I wasn't a fan of the cliffhanger ending (although that's probably more to do with the nonchalant way it was resolved in DN).
    And here we go....the winner of the competition with a considerable points difference from the runner-up:

ErTEJhH.jpg

And the results in chronological order / with chronological timeline:
    vhTM1FH.jpg
  • Deserved winner even if it wouldn't be my first choice. I'm really glad YOLT made the top five. Always thought that was one of the less popular books so that's a nice surprise. Overall I'm happy with how this turned out. I always thought that my views on the books were weird but it seems like a lot of my favourites have more fans than I thought (I love GF for example and think it's really underrated, I assumed it would be near the bottom so I'm glad it at least beat LALD and Diamonds).
    Deserved winner even if it wouldn't be my first choice. I'm really glad YOLT made the top five. Always thought that was one of the less popular books so that's a nice surprise. Overall I'm happy with how this turned out. I always thought that my views on the books were weird but it seems like a lot of my favourites have more fans than I thought (I love GF for example and think it's really underrated, I assumed it would be near the bottom so I'm glad it at least beat LALD and Diamonds).

I love all of those.
    And here we go....the winner of the competition with a considerable points difference from the runner-up:

ErTEJhH.jpg

And the results in chronological order / with chronological timeline:
    vhTM1FH.jpg

No real complaints overall. TB way too high and TLD a bit low but as a short story that was always going to be the case.

Congrats to @MajorDSmythe, @TriggerMortis, @Birdleson, @jobo, @PussyNoMore, @peter and my good self for getting the top three - although bizarrely not one of us got the top three in the correct order (although as theres a fag paper between them all thats understandable I guess).

I'm curious on two counts @Gustav_Graves:

1) Where are your votes?

2) Why have you taken to calling TB, OHMSS and YOLT 'Ian Fleming's SPECTRE trilogy'?
    The only time I have these books referred to as this was for some special edition that bundled them together some years ago. Its not a phrase anyone uses in everyday parlance to my knowledge and strikes me as the same sort of revisionist garbage that calls Raiders 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark' and Star Wars 'Star Wars Episode 1: A New Hope'.

Episode IV, but agreed. Nonsense.
    Episode IV, but agreed. Nonsense.

Christ thats woeful. Its rare the Wizard makes such a shocking error. I can only apologise profusely to everyone.
    I'm glad OHMSS came out on top. Objectively FRWL is a fine novel, and it seems to be the favourite Fleming out in the wider world, but I just don't have the strong emotional involvement and investment in it that I do with CR, OHMSS & MR.
    Excellent results.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Great minds, @TheWizardOfIce, great minds...!

A big thank you to @Gustav_Graves for putting all this work into something that obviously gave us something to look forward to each day. Good job, sir.
    Thanks @Peter. And all other forummembers.