Moore vs. Brosnan

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No dig at all! I was being self derogatory if anything.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    lol ok - i don't like to unintentionally anger anyone......

but i do however like to anger people intentionally..... at times ;) lol
    Hahaha!Keep at it, and I am not that easily angered anyway.
    Moore redefined the role to suit his own style. I don't think Brosnan ever achieved that. As others have said, the series sort of went into a directionless limbo during Brosnan's tenure.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Moore redefined the role to suit his own style

Basically playing himself a lot of the time then ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Moore redefined the role to suit his own style

Basically playing himself a lot of the time then ;)

Yeah, that's true - but when you're Sir Rog, that can only be a good thing!
    I think Brosnan was not bad at all and I enjoyed GE and TND, I just feel and may just be me that Bond became a bit of a drip in TWINE and DAD
  • I found Brosnan to be more of a "Bond Friendly" actor. He definitely seems to be confident in himself as would Bond in real life. Moore just wasn't all that appealing to me as a Bond, mostly because of his age. Moore wasn't terrible, but in this comparison I would definitely go with Brosnan.
    I found Brosnan to be more of a "Bond Friendly" actor. He definitely seems to be confident in himself as would Bond in real life. Moore just wasn't all that appealing to me as a Bond, mostly because of his age. Moore wasn't terrible, but in this comparison I would definitely go with Brosnan.

Thats a fair opinion Dravenslade,and welcome to MI6.
    Why dont you introduce yourself to us all,in here :

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/13/new-members-introduce-yourself/p37&sa=U&ei=laExU_vGD4a00QXd-oHoCA&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEHtFHJXy0VhKhTN8z2nBW8Rm5AuQ

LALD<GE
    TMWTGG<TND
    TSWLM>TWINE
    MR> DAD

Its a tie! I love both Moore and Brosnan though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Getafix wrote:
    As others have said, the series sort of went into a directionless limbo during Brosnan's tenure.
    I felt the series went into a directionless limbo starting with DAF, and only really started having some direction again with FYEO. But yeah, it happened again with the Brosnan films too.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 2,400
    LALD -> GE
    TMWTGG -> TND (by one position, mind you)
    TSWLM <- TWINE
    MR <- DAD (by only two positions)

2-2 tie.

EDIT: Can a mod fix this post? Something's really screwy.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    chrisisall wrote:
    I felt the series went into a directionless limbo starting with DAF, and only really started having some direction again with FYEO. But yeah, it happened again with the Brosnan films too.
    Interesting point. I think it did go in a certain direction from DAF -MR though, just not one you are fond of!
    pachazo wrote:
    I think it did go in a certain direction from DAF -MR though, just not one you are fond of!
    Yeah, it went wild & crazy.
    :))
    LALD -+ GE
    TMWTGG ¤# TND (by one position, mind you)
    TSWLM <----> TWINE
    MR <<- DAD +?(by only two positions)

2-2 tiex0.

I am no mod, but this was probably what you aimed for.
    LALD -+ GE
    TMWTGG ¤# TND (by one position, mind you)
    TSWLM <----> TWINE
    MR <<- DAD +?(by only two positions)

2-2 tiex0.

I am no mod, but this was probably what you aimed for.

Basically it's GE over LALD, TND over TMWTGG, TSWLM over TWINE and MR over DAD. I tried to use arrows pointing to the better movie.
    I got it, just messing with you, @StirredNotShaken.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    I do not think that Brosnan was bad but for me Roger Moore is one of the important Bond actors and his greatest feat was showing that after Connery there was a lot of life left in the franchise. I am not sure any other actor proofed that so clearly.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,425
    SaintMark wrote:
    I do not think that Brosnan was bad but for me Roger Moore is one of the important Bond actors and his greatest feat was howing that after Connery there was a lot of life left in the franchise. I am not sure any other actor proofed that so clearly.

Totally agree. Roger's great contribution was not just following Connery, but showing that you could play the part completely differently. That then opened up the role to a whole range of different actors and helped cement the future survival of the series. I think as Moore, Dalton and to a certain extent DC have shown, the post-Connery films are most successful when the actor stamps their own distinctive style on the part, rather than trying to ape what came before.

When it boils down to it, Brosnan never had a distinctive or strong take on the role. He sort of approached it on auto-pilot. He's not a very good actor, but has shown in other roles that he can bring something to the screen when he's well cast and directed. I don't think anyone ever really worked out what kind of Bond he was supposed to be - least of all himself - and the result was a bit of a mess.
    I saw TSWLM last night and enjoyed Moore in it more than several of his other films. He felt as if he was playing an actual spy rather than some camp show-off (ala Moonraker).

He seemed professional, confident yet charming and gentlemanly.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I saw TSWLM last night and liked Moore in it more than several of his other films. He felt as if he was playing an actual spy rather than some camp show-off (ala Moonraker).

Well, TSWLM is one of my top 5, so you're preaching to the converted.

It's pastiche/almost self-parody in a way, but brilliantly done.

Pure enjoyment from start to finish.
    No complaints from me seeing as TSWLM is the greatest movie ever made. :-)
    I enjoyed it but I think it does have its weaknesses. Bach gets on my nerves at times with her flat line deliveries (just..a..moment...I...would...like...to...bid...for...it...too) and Karl Stromberg is somewhat underused as a villain.

Otherwise its very entertaining.
    Won't have a word said against Barbara.

And you should watch out - you'll have Ringo coming round to sort you out.
    TSWLM is #6 on my list,so no complaints from me ...i love the film !
    Getafix wrote:
    Won't have a word said against Barbara.

And you should watch out - you'll have Ringo coming round to sort you out.

She's attractive and the character is a good one... but her performance overall is poor. Every line delivery she has sounds the same. ("The...cylinder...head...gasket", "you're..not..trying..to..take..advantage..of..me..are..you")

@barry Its #6 for me too, and I think it will stay that way.
    same here @BAIN ...its sandwiched in a little group,with OP at #5,GE at #4 ,TB at #7 and SF at #8..
    barryt007 wrote:
    same here @BAIN ...its sandwiched in a little group,with OP at #5,GE at #4 ,TB at #7 and SF at #8..

5. Goldfinger
    6. THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    7. Goldeneye
    8. Dr No
    9. Thunderball
    10. Octopussy
    Very similar to mine,just no sign of SF....and i have DN and GF much lower.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Getafix wrote:
    Roger's great contribution was not just following Connery, but showing that you could play the part completely differently.
    By playing him like The Saint??? LOL, I'm sorry, but I'm having a really hard time taking this seriously. You pat Rog on the back for playing Bond as NOT much like Bond, but you dump on Brosnan for playing Bond a bit like Sean here & a bit like Rog there... in other words, an original that deviates markedly from the pattern is better than a fairly good copy... ? :O
    :))