I've never noticed that before...

Comments

He could have kept those tattoos in the films.

You should see the tattoo he has on his ball bag.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ok, so I'm watching TLD and I get to the scene just before the carnival, and I watching Bond and saunders relay information. Watching that scene, I'm suddenly noticing the subtlety in Dalton's acting. Saunders hurries over to him at the orchestra/opera and starts asking questions in a slightly panicked way. Just look at Dalton's acting there, I never noticed it before. He is getting all these flustered questions thrown at him and each of his responses are delivered in such a calm, composed manner. Just listen to the regular, even way he delivers his speech. That is PERFECT Bond, and it was so subtle part of the performance that I can't quite believe I'm only noticing it now. THAT is what I want to see from the next guy who becomes Bond, more of that.

@Mendes4Lyfe, to borrow a trademark from @BondJasonBond006, DALTON RULEZ .

I can see why you love Dr. No too (as do I), because that film is essentially a masterclass of acting and character building through only mannerism and darts of the eyes, where Sean gives an all-time great performance as he tears through Jamaica. For Sean's performance alone Dr. No beats out a vast majority of Bond films, with a tenth the budget of the newer editions.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,112
    Ok, so I'm watching TLD and I get to the scene just before the carnival, and I watching Bond and saunders relay information. Watching that scene, I'm suddenly noticing the subtlety in Dalton's acting. Saunders hurries over to him at the orchestra/opera and starts asking questions in a slightly panicked way. Just look at Dalton's acting there, I never noticed it before. He is getting all these flustered questions thrown at him and each of his responses are delivered in such a calm, composed manner. Just listen to the regular, even way he delivers his speech. That is PERFECT Bond, and it was so subtle part of the performance that I can't quite believe I'm only noticing it now. THAT is what I want to see from the next guy who becomes Bond, more of that.

I can see why you love Dr. No too (as do I), because that film is essentially a masterclass of acting and character building through only mannerism and darts of the eyes, where Sean gives an all-time great performance as he tears through Jamaica. For Sean's performance alone Dr. No beats out a vast majority of Bond films, with a tenth the budget of the newer editions.

Absolutley. Did you notice the scene with Bond lay in bed, with Miss Taro at the desk. You see Sean's face reflected in the mirror. I always thought that was a stroke of genius, because it subtly showcases the duplicity of the situation perfectly. There are a million little touches like that throughout the film, which make it the utter apex of the series for me. A true masterclass of miniaturisation. The personification of "less is more".
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, Sean is our only tatted Bond (visible on screen).

I know Dan has tattoos, but I'm sure they blemish them away with computer effects these days.

I must say that I never knew that Dan had tattoos. It was more the villains that had the tattoos back in the Fleming originals.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I know Dan has tattoos, but I'm sure they blemish them away with computer effects these days.

I must say that I never knew that Dan had tattoos. It was more the villains that had the tattoos back in the Fleming originals.

http://celebritiestattooed.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Daniel-Craig-Tattoos.jpg
    ggl007 wrote: »

http://celebritiestattooed.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Daniel-Craig-Tattoos.jpg

You live and learn, don't you?!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Absolutley. Did you notice the scene with Bond lay in bed, with Miss Taro at the desk. You see Sean's face reflected in the mirror. I always thought that was a stroke of genius, because it subtly showcases the duplicity of the situation perfectly. There are a million little touches like that throughout the film, which make it the utter apex of the series for me. A true masterclass of miniaturisation. The personification of "less is more".

@Mendes4Lyfe, yes, Dr. No is full of moments like that. My favorite from that scene is when Bond tugs on Taro's shirt forcefully when she tries to get him out of the house and back into harm's way, which Bond isn't having any of. She wants him out to get shot, and he wants to stay to bide time until the Jamaican police arrive. It's brilliant, and you see both him and Taro working at cross purposes constantly.

I wrote pages alone on Sean's performance in Dr. No when I was analyzing the acting of the film in the MI6C Bondathon me and a few people are doing here. It's amazing how much content Sean packs into that performance, even if he's acting out something as simple as Bond putting traps in his hotel room to catch snoops looking into him.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

@Mendes4Lyfe, yes, Dr. No is full of moments like that. My favorite from that scene is when Bond tugs on Taro's shirt forcefully when she tries to get him out of the house and back into harm's way, which Bond isn't having any of. She wants him out to get shot, and he wants to stay to bide time until the Jamaican police arrive. It's brilliant, and you see both him and Taro working at cross purposes constantly.

I wrote pages alone on Sean's performance in Dr. No when I was analyzing the acting of the film in the MI6C Bondathon me and a few people are doing here. It's amazing how much content Sean packs into that performance, even if he's acting out something as simple as Bond putting traps in his hotel room to catch snoops looking into him.

You're right, his movements are very efficient and purposeful, yet relaxed.

My favorite line of Sean's is when he says "I'm scared too". That little bit of dialogue demonstrates how he isn't a natural killer, just a very professional one. He's prepared to let the facade slip for a moment so he can comfort this petrified young woman he just met.

You're right, his movements are very efficient and purposeful, yet relaxed.

My favorite line of Sean's is when he says "I'm scared too". That little bit of dialogue demonstrates how he isn't a natural killer, just a very professional one. He's prepared to let the facade slip for a moment so he can comfort this petrified young woman he just met.

You can even spot the disdain in his face following his killing of Dent after he rips off the silencer from the PPK, a move he knew he had to take, but didn't enjoy it.
    Sean's performance in DR NO is pure genius, IMO. Multi-layered character filled with subtle nuances, and decisive movements.
    Connery is truly a bastard in Dr No.

Just love this scene.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Me too. What a total legend he is. Icy cool as a cucumber and yet with a slight tinge of mischievous smugness as well. That is what I want in my Bond.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Connery even said once that playing Bond is not as easy as people think.

If anything Connery has made it next to impossible because actors tend to live a little in his shadow and try to play Bond by capturing a little of what Connery had. Only Moore did his own thing. Craig as well to a degree.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Had Lazenby continued as Bond, Diamonds Are Forever would have been a poignant title.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,816
    echo wrote: »
    Had Lazenby continued as Bond, Diamonds Are Forever would have been a poignant title.

That's very true actually. Never thought about it like that. Pity we never got to see a Lazenby DAF and that we instead ended up with the film that we eventually did.
    echo wrote: »

That's very true actually. Never thought about it like that. Pity we never got to see a Lazenby DAF and that we instead ended up with the film that we eventually did.

And a common motif of the film that continues to haunt Bond could be the bloody ring that was on Tracy's finger when she got shot, which he keeps for a reason he doesn't fully know. It's him remembering Tracy, even in tragedy, because if he doesn't, he'll forget, and what's the use of that?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    After the sad loss of Robert Vaughan yesterday I thought I would watch an old episode of The Protectors on YouTube I have never noticed that in the title sequence they have nicked footage of the helicopter duel in FRWL does anyone feel able to shed any light on this ?.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Gary Powell gives an Oscar worthy performance in TWINE.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    After the sad loss of Robert Vaughan yesterday I thought I would watch an old episode of The Protectors on YouTube I have never noticed that in the title sequence they have nicked footage of the helicopter duel in FRWL does anyone feel able to shed any light on this ?.
    Stock footage. You can also see the explosion in a Dr. Who episode. Check this conference. It's in Spanish but videos are in English:

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Blocked in the UK by the BBC for reasons of Copyright !!.
    But thanks for your reply .ggl007.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Watching 'John Wick' right now, I noticed how the damn bald guard of Elektra in TWINE (who takes Christmas Jones to the submarine) has an uncredited part in this film, where he gets killed in Wick in the nightclub shootout. Clever actor, I noticed another uncredited part of his in 'Mission Impossible Rogue Nation', where he plays the goon Benji is 'supposed' to be impersonating with a mask during the briefing in Morocco with Ethan Hunt and Ilsa Faust.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Blocked in the UK by the BBC for reasons of Copyright !!.
    But thanks for your reply .ggl007.
    Ups. Sorry, I didn't expected that.

In episode 5x17 Enemy of the World, you can see the explosion:

7pSB9q8.png

And in episode 8x21, The Daemons, you have it again... in color! :)

aXojpXT.png

(Now, copyright that, you BBC!)

;) :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Watching 'John Wick' right now, I noticed how the damn bald guard of Elektra in TWINE (who takes Christmas Jones to the submarine) has an uncredited part in this film, where he gets killed in Wick in the nightclub shootout. Clever actor, I noticed another uncredited part of his in 'Mission Impossible Rogue Nation', where he plays the goon Benji is 'supposed' to be impersonating with a mask during the briefing in Morocco with Ethan Hunt and Ilsa Faust.

I don't know what's going on, but he has just popped in another film I am watching right now: The Equalizer. He's the first guy to be killed by Denzel Washington in the warehouse climax.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Do you happen to know the name of the actor, @DaltonCraig007?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 10,588
    That reminds me, yesterday I spotted Clem So (the brother of Tom So, a.k.a "Mr. Fukutu") in Doctor Strange. He also had uncredited cameos in both Skyfall and Spectre.
    @jake24 According to IMDB, his name is Sean Cronin. The site credits him for TWINE and Rogue Nation. I guess his roles in Equalizer and John Wick were so small that he does not even deserve an uncredited status. I see that he was in 'Fantastic Beasts' that I saw at the cinema last week, but I did not notice him in that. I'll look for him once I have the bluray.
    Thanks.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,422
    While watching OHMSS yesterday, Bond has his initials monogrammed on the side of his golf bag.

Also, I noticed that in the final ever episode of Fraser, the titular character recites M's Tennyson poem on his last radio show.
    "Ulysses" is one of the most oft quoted works there is, and none before or since have been able to convey as great a sense as it does of endurance, age, tenacity, existential crises and rumination on days far past in half as eloquent a manner. It's my favorite poem, and Tennyson probably my favorite poet.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    "Ulysses" is one of the most oft quoted works there is, and none before or since have been able to convey as great a sense as it does of endurance, age, tenacity, existential crises and rumination on days far past in half as eloquent a manner. It's my favorite poem, and Tennyson probably my favorite poet.

I had to recite it in high school. I didn't do as well as Judi.