I've never noticed that before...

Comments

Nikki, Nikki, Nikki ...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    A lot of instigating going on as of late. What's the issue, folks?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that.
    Either way, as per usual one or two find it hard to keep a thread on topic, so I'm here to get us back on track.
    Please, and thank you.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Benny wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that.
    Either way, as per usual one or two find it hard to keep a thread on topic, so I'm here to get us back on track.
    Please, and thank you.

It's been like this for over a year. Much like a traumatic event can trigger a depression, SP's release instigated an unprecedented level of bad temperaments around here that show no signs of purging themselves.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I always thought that there was no reaction on Red Grant's face when Rosa Klebb belts him in the stomach with the brass knuckles, as opposed to in the novel where he almost doubles over, but pulls himself together quickly.

Last night, I noticed for the first time that he actually grimaces when he is struck.

He does. The punch in the stomach is obviously done, pretty much, for really and Lenya must given him a good crack. I certainly feel it every time I watch it. Ouch!

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm certain this is something known, but I just got this viewing DN last week.

When Bond is having dinner with Dr. No and Honey, he is holding up the silver knife in his hands in the close up, next wide angle, his hands are under the table, next close up again, holding the knife up in his hands, next wide angle again, hands under the table.

Obviously an editing, continuation mistake. Surprised to find one at all.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    In the novel, Bond was testing the knife. Perhaps, under the table, he found it unsuitable for his needs, and so put it back. Hence why his hands were doing the hokey cokey.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I always thought that there was no reaction on Red Grant's face when Rosa Klebb belts him in the stomach with the brass knuckles, as opposed to in the novel where he almost doubles over, but pulls himself together quickly.

Last night, I noticed for the first time that he actually grimaces when he is struck.

I'm pretty sure I noticed that right away.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    While watching FRWL tonight I noticed something. During the picnic scene between Bond and Trench in London, Eunice Grayson's voice and accent sounded off when Bond asks her for his jacket before heading off to the car to answer his page.

Trench says "But we haven’t eaten yet – I’m starving!" and her voice and accent seemed strange and yet familiar. Like another Bond girl (but one I couldn't quite put my finger on) and without the English accent she so confidently showcased in DN.

Curious, I looked it up online to see if Grayson was dubbed and was surprised to learn that she was, by one Nikki van der Zyl.

I have seen her name crop up here from time to time but have never read the respective thread and so didn't realize her importance to the Bond world. Well now I know. She was apparently responsible for the voices of several of the early Bond girls, and it makes sense - because Trench's voice & accent in that scene in FRWL reminded me very much of Honey in DN. Van der Zyl momentarily slipped.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Is there ever an implication as to whether Bill Tanner is promoted from senior analyst to chief of staff?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    While watching FRWL tonight I noticed something. During the picnic scene between Bond and Trench in London, Eunice Grayson's voice and accent sounded off when Bond asks her for his jacket before heading off to the car to answer his page.

Trench says "But we haven’t eaten yet – I’m starving!" and her voice and accent seemed strange and yet familiar. Like another Bond girl (but one I couldn't quite put my finger on) and without the English accent she so confidently showcased in DN.

Curious, I looked it up online to see if Grayson was dubbed and was surprised to learn that she was, by one Nikki van der Zyl.

I have seen her name crop up here from time to time but have never read the respective thread and so didn't realize her importance to the Bond world. Well now I know. She was apparently responsible for the voices of several of the early Bond girls, and it makes sense - because Trench's voice & accent in that scene in FRWL reminded me very much of Honey in DN. Van der Zyl momentarily slipped.

I didn't realize Trench was dubbed!

But then the dubbing in the Bond films has always been very good.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Nikki van der Zyl is basically the voice of many Bond fans' puberty inducing fantasies and the voice for many of the iconic Connery Bond girls outside of Tatiana, Pussy and Aki.

Here's Nikki's fully documented voice work in the Bond films:

Dr. No: Re-voiced Ursula Andress, Eunice Gayson and all other female voices except Moneypenny, Miss Taro, Sister Rose and Sister Lily. It's also claimed that she sings "Underneath the Mango Tree" in the version used in the film, but I'm not 100% sure that's correct.

From Russia with Love: Re-voiced Eunice Gayson and female hotel clerk in Istanbul.

Goldfinger: Re-voiced Shirley Eaton & Nadja Regin and was also Gert Fröbe's English coach on the set of the film.

Thunderball: Re-voiced Claudine Auger and woman in red dress at the nightclub.

You Only Live Twice: Re-voiced Mie Hama)

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Re-voiced "Olympe" (Virginia North) and various other characters.

Diamonds Are Forever: Re-voiced Denise Perrier.

Live and Let Die: Partly re-voiced Jane Seymour.

The Man with the Golden Gun: Re-voiced Francoise Therry and various other characters.

Moonraker: Re-voiced Corinne Clery, Leila Shenna and various other characters.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Nikki van der Zyl is basically the voice of many Bond fans' puberty inducing fantasies and the voice for many of the iconic Connery Bond girls outside of Tatiana, Pussy and Aki.

Dr. No: Re-voiced Ursula Andress, Eunice Gayson and all other female voices except Moneypenny, Miss Taro, Sister Rose and Sister Lily. It's also claimed that she sings "Underneath the Mango Tree" in the version used in the film, but I'm not 100% sure that's correct.

From Russia with Love: Re-voiced Eunice Gayson and female hotel clerk in Istanbul.

Goldfinger: Re-voiced Shirley Eaton & Nadja Regin and was also Gert Fröbe's English coach on the set of the film.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Re-voiced "Olympe" (Virginia North) and various other characters.

The Man with the Golden Gun: Re-voiced Francoise Therry and various other characters.

I knew Ursula Andress was dubbed.

Those others I had no idea.

interesting list!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nikki is German, which is why she was Frobe s coach.
    I did a whole thread on her,showing her Bond and non-Bond work,but it was abused and closed .
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2016 Posts: 8,159
    WOW, I never realised that Craig Bond was so polite!!!

WOW, I never realised that Craig Bond said "thank you" so many times!!!

There's actually a lot more.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

interesting list!

When you listen closely to some of those it becomes so apparent that they were the same person. Honey and Domino for example. Then you wonder why it never struck you before.
    NicNac wrote: »

interesting list!

When you listen closely to some of those it becomes so apparent that they were the same person. Honey and Domino for example. Then you wonder why it never struck you before.
    Precisely. Now that I'm aware of it, I realize it quite clearly. That girl during the Junkanoo in TB for instance who Connery sneaks a dance with. Same voice.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,694
    I am watching DAD, and remembered that for years I thought Graves was parachute jumping from the same plane Bond was arriving to London with. So every time I saw Brosnan in the crowd behind the photographers, I always wondered how in the hell Brosnan got there without anyone noticing him also jumping from the plane. With time I finally understood Graves was jumping from another aircraft and the scene with Bond reading the magazine was not happening at the same time. I didn't notice it today, but I can't find the thread about misconceptions about the films (where I said I thought Lazenby played Anya's lover in TSWLM).
    I am watching DAD, and remembered that for years I thought Graves was parachute jumping from the same plane Bond was arriving to London with. So every time I saw Brosnan in the crowd behind the photographers, I always wondered how in the hell Brosnan got there without anyone noticing him also jumping from the plane. With time I finally understood Graves was jumping from another aircraft and the scene with Bond reading the magazine was not happening at the same time. I didn't notice it today, but I can't find the thread about misconceptions about the films (where I said I thought Lazenby played Anya's lover in TSWLM).
    I kind of wish they hadn't cut the scene of Brosnan escaping the plane via the landing gear. I assume it was omitted as they didn’t think it would be appropriate in a post 9/11 world.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That's funny about Laz @DaltonCraig007.

I'll always remember an amusing instance when I was watching TSWLM (not the first occasion though) with my dad many years back.

When that scene with Anya and Sergei Barsov began, my dad said something along the lines of "Oh no, it's not the one with this guy is it?!".

I quickly reassured him that it wasn't OHMSS. My dad is not a fan of Laz as Bond.
    I think that was a deliberate casting decision, as they wanted you to think that XXX was him, and not her, so they got a Bond lookalike actor, so audiences would be surprised when its revealed she is the "top agent"!!
    I kind of wish they hadn't cut the scene of Brosnan escaping the plane via the landing gear. I assume it was omitted as they didn’t think it would be appropriate in a post 9/11 world.

I thought it was cut because they were already overloaded with action scenes.

Besides, why would Bond need to escape from a commercial plane?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,588

I thought it was cut because they were already overloaded with action scenes.

Besides, why would Bond need to escape from a commercial plane?
    No idea how it would fit into the film, nor do I know why it was eventually cut. It would have been nice had they at least released it on DVD. So far, only a short clip and a still have surfaced for that specific sequence.
    In SKYFALL when Bond talks to M after returning, he quotes her 'What was it you said? "Take the bloody shot" '.

Probably been mentioned before, but if Bond heard her say this (as he wore an ear piece), why did he continue to grapple with Patrice? Why not throw him aside to give Moneypenny a clear shot?

And please this isn't the opening for a SF mass attack - I love the film - just an observation on this moment in the film.
    Actually while im in this thread ...in TND when the stealth boat blows up and Bond and Wei Lin are under the water hanging onto the chain...what is the chain attached to ? the whole boat just blew up ?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    In SKYFALL when Bond talks to M after returning, he quotes her 'What was it you said? "Take the bloody shot" '.

Probably been mentioned before, but if Bond heard her say this (as he wore an ear piece), why did he continue to grapple with Patrice? Why not throw him aside to give Moneypenny a clear shot?

And please this isn't the opening for a SF mass attack - I love the film - just an observation on this moment in the film.
    Good question, but that's easier said than done when you're in the middle of a life or death struggle on top of a moving train.

Of course, perhaps Bond wasn't sure if she was actually serious or not. The idea of having Moneypenny take that shot was probably as mind boggling to him as it was to the audience!
    Wasn't a bad shot all things considered. 500 yards away maybe? Moving train, two bodies struggling together. She was about a foot out at the end of the day.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Take the bloody shot is the tip of the iceberg of idiotic plot items in SF. What about Bond getting shot twice falling to his death and drowning? It's roadrunner level.