The Crying Game

I listened to the Danny Baker show last Saturday on 5 Live (in the uk ) and one the the themes to discuss was the first fictional character that made you cry. His own choice was the death of Tracy in OHMSS which is a choice of pure class. For myself, Spock's death in TWOK gets me every time and more so now the great man has gone. Anyone else have any nominations?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,691
    The first?
    Hmmm... let me think...
    I guess the first would be when I was a kid, seeing Kirk holding McCoy back in City On The Edge Of Forever, and the look on Kirk's face.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The last time the death of a character brought a tear to my eye in all honesty was when they said goodbuy to Compo in Last of The Summer Wine.
    God alone only knows what the Wizard Ofice will make of me for letting that fact out but.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I don't know if it's getting older but I find I cry at any emotional moment in films or
    TV, even watching " For the love of cars" ( a documentary on restoring classic cars).
    Last week a bloke sending off his old police car, started crying on saying goodbye to
    It. Next thing my eyes are tearing up. :)) I guess I'm just a big softie. :D
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Oh, we're doing what makes us break down today too?
    Well, when Harry Stamper sacrifices himself to save Earth, I lose it. Actually, when Bond saves Wai Lin from drowning I tear up a tiny bit too- but that's probably the hyper-emotional score kicking in at that moment though.
    Then of course, Tracy.
    The end of Somewhere In Time makes me cry like a girl.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,805
    I think it was probably seeing Dumbo as a kid on TV at home. I've not seen it since. As such, I can't remember if anyone dies, so it could be a red herring or rather a white elephant. :D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Death of Tracy (both in the novel and in the movie) makes me cry every time.

Also, Once Upon a Time. Several episodes made me cry, most notably
    the death of Baelfire
    in season 3.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    The first ten minutes of Up.

I cried like a baby in front of the whole family. The wife has never let me forget.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I cried when I saw the BFG, when I was nipper. The end where Sophie and the BFG said goodbye...

Like you @Tokoloshe, I got quite emotional during the montage of Carl and his wife, going through their life together. And that musical cue, that played through it. When will we get to hear Michael Giacchino score a Bond movie?

When Fred died in Angel Season Five, and the reaction to Jenny's death by Giles, Buffy and Willow, in BuffytVS Season 2, always makes me tear up.

royale65 wrote: »
    When Fred died in Angel Season Five, and the reaction to Jenny's death by Giles, Buffy and Willow, in BuffytVS Season 2, always makes me tear up.
    Those were killers indeed, Willow's reaction to Anya in season six was brutal and gets me, but Spike at the end of the last season chokes me up no end.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yes - Joss Whedon; Angel of Death
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I think it was probably seeing Dumbo as a kid on TV at home. I've not seen it since. As such, I can't remember if anyone dies, so it could be a red herring or rather a white elephant. :D

My son cried during the scene where Tim and Dumbo got drunk and started hallucinating, but that was because he got scared. :P
    I remember the night Michael Portillo lost his seat, it was so emotional. My shoulders
    Started shaking and tears streamed down my face ....... I hadn't laughed so much in
    Years. :D
    I cannot remember crying as a kid. Now I do it all the time. Not all the time, but I get more emotional for nothing, I mean.
    Yes, me too. ;) must be an age thing ?
    How old are you, doctor? I am 96.
    I'm coming up on almost 2000, give or take a decade. ;)
    edited May 2015 Posts: 17,805
    I cannot remember crying as a kid. Now I do it all the time. Not all the time, but I get more emotional for nothing, I mean.

Yes, I can be the same. It's hard for a man to admit that though. And yes, I quite forgot to mention that the end of OHMSS does affect me more deeply than the ending of any other Bond film. It remains my favourite of the series.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I had a small tear in my eye during this:
    Interstellar.jpg

Yes, I can be the same. It's hard for a man to admit that though. And yes, I quite forgot to mention that the end of OHMSS does affect me more deeply than the ending of any other Bond film. It remains my favourite of the series.

But why should it be hard for a man? For a young boy, sure. It goes with the territory, the expectations, imagined or not.

But why should it be hard for a man? For a young boy, sure. It goes with the territory, the expectations, imagined or not.

Well, to some women it seems weak. It seems weak to many men no doubt too. British resolve, the stiff upper lip and all that jazz.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I cried on first viewing of Die Another Day thinking it was the death of the Bond franchise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's hard for me to remember crying over many fictional characters as a kid, but back when I was a young teenager (where has the time gone?), I remember the first movie that really stuck with me in terms of emotion and all out crying was 'Man On Fire.' Even to this day, knowing how it ends, I cry every single time for the last five minutes of the movie, pre-credits.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's hard for me to remember crying over many fictional characters as a kid, but back when I was a young teenager (where has the time gone?), I remember the first movie that really stuck with me in terms of emotion and all out crying was 'Man On Fire.' Even to this day, knowing how it ends, I cry every single time for the last five minutes of the movie, pre-credits.
    I could never bring myself to watch that movie. I guess I should at some point, with no family near me & some tissues in hand...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    The first ten minutes of Up.

I cried like a baby in front of the whole family. The wife has never let me forget.

It wasn't the whole first ten minutes, though, right? But I know what you are talking about. Yes...touching and heart-wrenching.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @chrisisall, it's where I got the former half of my username from. I feel that's what elevates the film beyond a simple revenge drama/thriller for me: how emotional it is. How, throughout the movie, Denzel Washington's character influences and changes Dakota Fanning's character, and vice versa. It's so raw and emotional and loving and touching and sad, all at the same time, and it will get me to cry with every single viewing.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's so raw and emotional and loving and touching and sad, all at the same time, and it will get me to cry with every single viewing.
    I will certainly get a hold of a copy then, my friend.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,081
    The first? Anyone actually remembers that as an adult? Wow... Makes me wonder if the experience was horribly traumatic or something... I certainly don't remember. From more recent years I could list tons of examples. Too long a list to even attempt here.

The subject is interesting though - not necessarily "the first" part of it, but in general.

Sometimes the moments the tears come can be a bit surprising. It's not like there has to be anything obviously sad happening at that moment. One such moment that comes to mind for me would be in 3:10 To Yuma (2007) when Dan Evans and Ben Wade (such a great pair) are running across the rooftops... that's when I started crying the first time I watched the movie and then just kept at it the rest of the movie,
    practically praying them both to live, knowing damn well how it would end (I mean not really knowing, hadn't heard or read or anything, but knowing...)
    The second time I saw it I started crying during the scene before that (the bridal suite in the hotel). I don't know if I eventually stop with that or if I'll just keep starting earlier... :)) When I got the soundtrack, well... there's this moment in this one track that gets me every time, even if I'm not consciously listening... might be doing the darned dishes and thinking something and all of a sudden that moment in the score comes and hits me, hard. (Not that I start crying, but I feel the pain.) The first time I was listening to the cd I immediately recognized the feeling that specific moment triggered, and thought "oh bloody hell, this was that moment in the movie". Music contributes a lot to tears, too, in movies - people may not necessarily be conscious of it, but it does.

(And btw, I love that movie... and Marco Beltrami's soundtrack.)

Well, to some women it seems weak. It seems weak to many men no doubt too. British resolve, the stiff upper lip and all that jazz.

I find it interesting that tears can be considered a sign of weakness for men, except when it comes to sport, apparently. :P Seriously speaking though, anyone (woman or man) who thinks tears = weak is, in my opinion, an idiot, and the gender of the person crying has nothing to do with it. I've never understood why men aren't supposed to cry, it makes zero sense. Personally I think being man enough to cry can actually be very attractive, unlike the stone faced stiff upper lip crap - just guess which chap most women would more likely want to wrap their arms around? ;) Being vulnerable is not the same as being weak. (A whimpering, self-pitying, cry-baby obviously wouldn't be attractive.)

When it comes to crying when watching movies, it means a person is able to identify with the characters and what's happening in their world, and feel for them. That ability suggests capacity for empathy in real life, too. Which, obviously, is a good thing.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 4,600
    Just to add another, Bronson's death scene in the Magnificent Seven starts to get me every time

"l told you. You see your fathers? What´s my name? - Bernardo- Bernardo! - You´re damn right."

plus the final scene when Chris and Vin ride out of the village leaving four of the best friend's buried in the village.

"The old man was right. Only the farmers won. We lost. We always lose."

God, I'm welling up just typing it in, what a baby
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I know Vesper's death hit me a little more emotionally as I grew older, but the first time I really cried during a movie was on my first viewing of Skyfall, when M died. I knew it was coming but seeing Craig cry just made me lose it.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 4,600
    sorry, on a roll now, two that I would link in that they are very sad but interesting: Silent Running when you see the robots left on their own to drift off and also Bladerunner , Batty's death scene. How is it that humans can feel sad about robots? weird stuff!
    (and to add a third, Arnie's death in T2)