"Don't worry, I'll tell the chef ": Thunderball Appreciation & Discussion

Comments

• FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited August 2023 Posts: 735
    Meanwhile, in the ... I Never Knew That Department:

Bond's underwater investigation of the hull of the Disco Volante in TB is almost certainly based on a real life incident in April 1956, mostly forgotten now, where a completely unauthorized MI6 sent Britain's supposedly best frogman, Lionel "Buster" Crabbe, to investigate the undersides of a visiting Soviet cruiser (carrying dignitaries) and two destroyers in Portsmouth harbour.

While not exactly certain what happened, apparently Crabbe was intercepted by waiting Soviet frogmen, one of whom decades later claimed to have slit the Englishman's throat. The badly decomposed remains of Crabbe's body were only found more than a year later ... but the Soviets made a stink about it and it caused a public scandal and embarrassed the government, especially when MI6 clumsily tried to cover it all up, leading to the enforced retirement of then MI6 head, Sir John Sinclair.

We might see the episode in TB as an instance when early Bond becomes the fictional, heroic cover for a far less successful real life operation, much as the creation of Bond himself is, on a larger scale, a kind of a deliberate fictional reimagining for the public of such spies as Philby, Burgess and Maclean.

Indeed, according to Ben Macintyre's A Spy Among Friends, the Soviets were probably tipped off by Philby himself, who while under heavy suspicion by MI5 at this point still had intimates in MI6 ....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That’s very interesting, thank you.
    For me TB marks the end of the first and best series of Bond films. By the time YOLT appeared, the specialness of the series had worn off, albeit some occasional flashes of greatnesses in a few later films. I don't measure old films by the technology and techniques of new films. Thus the lengthy underwater sequence is not tedious to me. Having recently seen the trailer for Meg 2, I can imagine how that sequence would be filmed and edited today. What I was bothered with, at the time (1965), was the use of rear screen projection in the jet pack sequence and positively hated the sped up footage of the Disco Volante before crashing. Also did not like the car and motorcycle chase on what was obviously a race track. Those imperfections do not diminish my enthusiasm for the film. Fiona. What a fabulous female villain. One who has never been equaled since. Once again, Barry is amazing. Those deep, resonant guitar chords that announce the underwater sequences become characters in themselves. How Barry infused his motifs into scenes is one element I miss in the newer Bond films. Arnold came close, but missed opportunities to reprise the wonderful Aston Montenegro theme throughout CR. Although my two favorite Bond films are OHMSS and CR, my favorite series of Bond films are the Connery films despite the final two lacking the magic of the first four.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m not sure it’s fair to say you don’t measure old films by the techniques of new films, and then go on to repeatedly compare the techniques of new films to that of old ones! :)

The underwater stuff is pretty boring by the standard of films at the time: nothing else in the Bond films to that point had been as slow and ponderous.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I find the underwater scenes fascinating. The amount of footage and complexity of the scenes, choreography etc. in such a dangerous environment is to be commended.

There's a lot to look out for: The dummy who gets his mask broken by the spear gun; the crayfish; the random spear gun that does not fit in; Bond's air tanks having the branding disappear then reappear; the constant switching of one regulator to another between shots; the black paint wearing off the SPECTRE frogmen's spear guns because they had been painted just the night before shooting.
    Not sure there's anything even comparable to the beauty and grandeur of that underwater sequence in the history of cinema up to that point .... so it's a bit of shame it's so often dismissed these days as boring, tedious, overlong, etc.

Many high- or near highpoints elsewhere: the kinky, predatory sexual chemistry between Fiona and Bond has arguably never been bettered ... Barry's score and the widescreen cinematography throughout is the best so far ... Connery looks great while demonstrating that being relaxed needn't mean phoning in his performance .... the mysteriously creepy henchman Vargas ... not to mention Bond's "I think he got the point," and other great one liners ... Claudine Auger's beauty, of course ... Adam's set for the SPECTRE meeting ... so much really.

I wonder if contemporary audiences in 1965 had more of a willing sense of disbelief regarding the back projection and some of the sped-up sequences. Maybe much as today's audiences have with the visual effects in superhero movies, which for all we know will look ridiculous to succeeding generations ....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Feyador wrote: »
    Not sure there's anything even comparable to the beauty and grandeur of that underwater sequence in the history of cinema up to that point .... so it's a bit of shame it's so often dismissed these days as boring, tedious, overlong, etc.

It's an impressive feat, but it doesn't translate as good excitement. People write off Tom Cruise's exploits for similar reasons nowadays: doing something groundbreaking and technically impressive doesn't mean that it's automatically great to watch as part of a story.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 1,517
    mtm wrote: »
    I’m not sure it’s fair to say you don’t measure old films by the techniques of new films, and then go on to repeatedly compare the techniques of new films to that of old ones! :)

The underwater stuff is pretty boring by the standard of films at the time: nothing else in the Bond films to that point had been as slow and ponderous.

I look forward to reading your discussion of film standards of 1965 and how Thunderball's underwater sequence is an impressive feat that doesn't translate as good excitement because it is boring, slow, and ponderous.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    CrabKey wrote: »

I look forward to reading your discussion of film standards of 1965 and how Thunderball's underwater sequence is an impressive feat that doesn't translate as good excitement because it is boring, slow, and ponderous.

I'm not sure what this post is supposed to mean..? That is my point of view, yes.

I'm not sure what this post is supposed to mean..? That is my point of view, yes.

You suggest a knowledge of film standards in 1965, which I interpret as support for you opinion. I am interested in what standards you are speaking of.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 14,951
    It seems like you're trying to catch me out, as if I don't possess this knowledge and don't know what I'm talking about and haven't seen any films from the 60s or earlier, which wouldn't be worth trying as knowledge of early/mid 20th century films is hardly exclusive. But for starters I'll point out that I've already given you an example, which would be the Bond films which preceded TB, none of which feature sequences as long and drawn out. Off the top of my head, I watched That Man From Rio the night before last which came out the year before TB and belts along at a crazy pace.
    If you think this is an unusual complaint then read back through this very thread: you'll find many other people saying it.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    When you think of all the practical work and shots that was required for this film and how they shot this in under a year it's quite a feat. The atmosphere is not terribly exciting but i think the way they shot the action there was a dance or balletic atmospheric vibe captured here.

When you compare Avatar or as someone has mentioned Meg 2 it's a different vibe. A watching of Meg 2 was making me seasick with the camera movements. Hard to follow the action and someone disorientating.

TB has a grace and style to it!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's an incredible feat and is certainly beautiful. But ultimately also quite dull: the scenery doesn't change much, everything happens slowly and it's very hard to connect to characters underwater because you can't see their faces. It's a problem with underwater scenes which has pervaded to this day, although there are exceptions. But TB's underwater bits are even slower than most.
    The scenes in YOLT where Sean and Kissy are walking through the mountains to get up to the volcano are also very beautiful, and seeing rural Japan in a movie was a bit of a feat too: but it's all edited tightly to keep it pacy and entertaining to watch.
    @mtm Naming four films as examples is not the same as film standards, wouldn't you agree? Perhaps standards is not what you meant.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Seeing rural Japan in 1967 is not that much of a feat compared to the technical wonder that were the underwater scenes in 1965. And pacing can be an issue in any given year. But I would argue that TB is flawless.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm Naming four films as examples is not the same as film standards, wouldn't you agree? Perhaps standards is not what you meant.

I think you’re looking for an argument. I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here or what you think ‘standards’ means, but generally when people say ‘by the standards of x’ they’re making a direct comparison to other general examples of the same thing, as I have done here. This type of an attempt at a semantics-based argument doesn’t really interest me, sorry.

If you want to demonstrate that the standard of the day was to make long, ponderous and dull action scenes, then go for it.
    @mtm Don't like your comments nitpicked? Don't do it to others.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I, like everyone else, am happy to have my points disagreed with and I like debating these things. But there's a difference between that and trying to start arguments based on nonsensical semantics.
    Am I the only one who doesn't find the underwater sequences dull? I find them beautifully evocative.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Quite a few folks do. Barry's amazing music certainly lifts them.
    You can always tell who is who and where they are in relation to each other. The sequences feel somewhat magical. The ballet of death between SPECTRE and USA at the end of the film is very well done. The silence and then the sound of the harpoons.

Can't forget Ken Adams designing all those vehicles and sleds. It adds so much style and fantasy to the film.
    From the spectacular parachute drop into the ocean to Largo's escape, I think the underwater battle sequence must run close to ten minutes.

Is this the single longest sequence in the series without any but the most incidental dialogue? I think it may be ... just the very brief exchange near the beginning between Bond and Leiter before Bond's own drop into the ocean ....

Now to many the following will sound like a bad thing, but it strikes me that the underwater battle plays a little like a movie from the silent era. Almost purely visual, especially with its intimate, formalized, highly gestural and choreographed physical movements. Like a ballet, as mentioned in the above post.

Of course the sequence features music, as did movies from the silent era (live, with orchestral accompaniment, if you were lucky), which only adds to the aesthetic, as well as many undrewater sound effects, however unrealistic.

I think this silent-movie effect may help account for why recent generations of Bond fans are so bored, even alienated, by the underwater battle. Almost as if personally offended by this dated aesthetic ....

But every generation has its own aesthetic, which is why so many younger people (I'm sixty) are likely to be bored by movies of the past. And this has probably always been true. They literally capture a moment in time that by its very definition appears dated to latter generations. And this dated quality may not only be aesthetic but also political .... but let's save the latter for another time.

It's most unlikely that audiences in 1965/1966 (the height of Bond mania) felt the same way about the underwater battle. Thunderball, afterall, was probably viewed in its day by more people than any Bond film ever in its own.

And why would they respond more favourably to that sequence than many of us today? Well, for one, it was a lot closer to the silent era (35 years), and the very birth of cinema, than we are today from Thunderball itself (almost 60 years), and so they were a lot more attuned to this almost purely visual silent movie aesthetic.
    Quite a few folks do. Barry's amazing music certainly lifts them.
    I think so too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just saw this screengrab on Reddit under the title
    'EVERY THUNDERBALL DEBATE EVER'

hpgm4nuiydib1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=51cfbe94454738c83e251109fd5f03d7b2d0e8d3

:))
    I always have a few questions for those who find the underwater sequences in TB dull: how much time would you spend on underwater sequences in a movie set in the Bahamas, in a plot involving the theft of nuclear bombs hidden underwater? What would you change to make them more interesting? Change the music? Find somewhere more picturesque? Find a way to add some snappy dialogues and one liners?

For me it's like complaining there's too much sand and shooting in a movie about D Day.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess it may come down to editing; like the initial theft of the bombs. For a series which prided itself in coming up with a new, snappier way of editing films, it does feel like we see every tiny bit of the Vulcan landing (above water as well as below) and it starts to drag somewhat. Also they've written in more underwater stuff that wasn't in the book, so it's writing too.

I think TB has a lot of problems: not least that they didn't seem to learn a lot of lessons about why GF was such a hit. I tend to think YOLT is the film where they actually tried to make a follow-up to GF and incorporated more of the ideas which made that film work.
    Even just taking the nuke plots of the two films: in GF, 007 is actually handcuffed to the thing- you couldn't have higher stakes. But in TB we barely see the bombs, and they're off planted somewhere we never see and feel less connection with. There's not even a countdown at the end, which is kind of what you need with a big bomb plot. It's much less immediate, and less powerful.
    The bits I would perhaps chop were the Bond and Leiter flying around looking for the Vulcan. Maybe have a montage of flying but not being on the copter each time they take to the skies. The Vulcan crash and the subsequent covering up and getting the Bombs tends to drag as well and could be chopped down a bit.

The fight at the end really has the spectacular stuff and wouldn't chop much from that.
    I guess it may come down to editing; like the initial theft of the bombs. For a series which prided itself in coming up with a new, snappier way of editing films, it does feel like we see every tiny bit of the Vulcan landing (above water as well as below) and it starts to drag somewhat. Also they've written in more underwater stuff that wasn't in the book, so it's writing too.

I think TB has a lot of problems: not least that they didn't seem to learn a lot of lessons about why GF was such a hit. I tend to think YOLT is the film where they actually tried to make a follow-up to GF and incorporated more of the ideas which made that film work.
    Even just taking the nuke plots of the two films: in GF, 007 is actually handcuffed to the thing- you couldn't have higher stakes. But in TB we barely see the bombs, and they're off planted somewhere we never see and feel less connection with. There's not even a countdown at the end, which is kind of what you need with a big bomb plot. It's much less immediate, and less powerful.

See I prefer TB to GF in many ways, among them because Bond is more proactive and has far more agency.

But regardless if one's prefer one to the other, the countdown had been done literally one film before. A second one would have come off as repetitive. I think it works better if the nukes are a MacGuffin.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »

See I prefer TB to GF in many ways, among them because Bond is more proactive and has far more agency.

He neither kills the baddie nor solves the plot in this one though :) That’s more the little chap; what’s his name? Kurtz?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    But regardless if one's prefer one to the other, the countdown had been done literally one film before. A second one would have come off as repetitive. I think it works better if the nukes are a MacGuffin.
    It would be repetitive you’re right, which is probably a reason to steer clear of big bombs altogether really. YOLT had a countdown, which Bond averted, and I’d say it was more exciting.
    Bond pretty much uncovers the plot and his actions contribute to the resolution. I'm not sure Domino could have escaped or kill Largo at the end, without Bond keeping Number 2's hands full. But I'd need to rewatch the movie. I was never convinced with the countdown of YOLT, I always thought the device came off as a bit deus ex machinaish. It felt a bit too convenient. And a repeat of what had been done before in DN and GF. Again, repetitive.