The UK General Election

Comments

JCRendle wrote: »
    Scary image I saw on Twitter:-

CDXdFqiW8AEutJk.jpg

The problem is his voice. Milliband has a voice that is very difficult to sell.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The problem is, as in any country, the fake politics.
    Think Milliband dropped a clanger with his Foreign policy statement today?
    I liked Cameron's off hand joke about Alex Salmond on This Morning.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We understand fishery is important for Scotland, with Salmond and Sturgeon in charge.
    We understand fishery is important for Scotland, with Salmond and Sturgeon in charge.

:)) =))

Brilliant! Quote of the day! =D> :))
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I can't believe you actually think Cameron is funny, the guy has all the charisma of a brick wall.

I don't know who I'm going to vote for but I wouldn't vote Tory ever, I lived under 17 years of their rule before this coalition farce and Labour's 3 terms and that was enough thanks.

No I'm not a Maggie fan at all, I know some think she did some good but I never saw it, she encouraged people to be incredibly selfish and be greedy, that is pretty much her legacy, selling off all our social housing and now we have a house shortage problem.

Now they want to force housing associations to sell off their properties causing even more shortages.

I'll say one thing for Thatcher you knew where you stood with her, she couldn't give a damn about the working class and made no bones about it but Cameron with his touchy feely I care bollocks makes me want to vomit.

As for Labour I'm pretty much convinced they don't want to get back into power, what other explanation is their for making a personality bypass like Ed Milliband your leader?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Dave " Just an ordinary chap" Cameron, is apparently a big football fan, knows
    All the teams ...... ;)
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Dave " Just an ordinary chap" Cameron, is apparently a big football fan, knows
    All the teams ...... ;)
    As a born and bred Englishman, I can honestly say he probably knows more football teams than me :))
    JCRendle wrote: »
    I just dread the day Labour return to Number 10

Always better than facilitating xenophobia :-). Let the dirty xenophobic UKIP do its campaign banter for the Tories for free. Her Majesty's new lap dog no :-)?

And in the meanwhile, what do the Tories REALLY have on offer for the long-term future? For the upcoming 30 to 50 years? Indeed, not much.
    And what future would a Labour/SNP have in store for us then for the long term future?

A divided UK that no longer has Scotland in 10 years time, but instead a sorry mess of another Greece style country north of England?

A bankrupt country, back in serious debt again after too much spending?

A country that no longer has any nuclear defence, and a country that is now so overfilled with immigrants, its cities are starting to resemble places like overcrowded Dhaka in Bangladesh.

Yes, I think that future looks far more promising...... 8-|
    With this being ( what looks like) a second hung parliament, with no clear winner. Will this be the time when some form of " proportional Voting" is introduced ?
    Just so long as we don't start using the Alternative Vote and get a situation like the Labour Party leaders election in 2010.
    the days following the election will be crucial IMHO, the SNP will be focussing on a second referendum (which they will win ) within the period of the next government. EM is so desperate to run the country that he will agree and we will see the beginning of the end re the United Kingdom. Even for those who wont vote, we are living in momentus times and yet most people (especially South of the border) are showing little passion re politics (I dont balme them). I have booked the following Friday off, its going to be a massive weekend. History "in real time"
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,602

Labour's steady move into the middle ground lead by Blair has isolated traditional working class Labour voters and many of these live in Scotland. Its possible that we will see Labour completely wiped out inn Scotland. Its ironic that those conservatives who love the first past the post system so much will see it give the SNP massive leverage that they never would have dreamt of with PR. I am convinced that John Smiths death was a crucial turning point not only in the history of the Labour Party but the history of the UK

I agree that there is a huge amount of apathy towards the election and indeed politics in general. After years of stories of fiddling expenses, etc. Which is fully understandable. Also this seems a very lack luster election, it's as if each party is so worried about saying the wrong thing ( so they don't say much) in case it hurts their voting chances, so we get no passion.
    I also think the Conservative party is helping the SNP by almost trying to stir up anti Scottish feelings, which will help in the break up of the UK. Which greatly saddens me as I'm a Unionist, and think our four countries have worked very well together.
    Who knows the SNP might like having a lot of power in a UK parliament, more than
    Going for independence. ;)
    Well, I am registered to vote and I'm not going to waste it.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    John Smiths death meant that we lost the chance of the Best Labour leader or Prime Minster that we could ever of had I mean that truly and I'm a Tory.
    I too am all for voting, although I do wish they'd have a box to tick if you
    Didn't like any any of the choices. As I feel it would be interesting to see if
    A lack of interest was apathy, or because people simply didn't like the options
    They were being offered.
    The last speech from a politician which had me excited ( because it seemed
    Heart felt) was Gordon Brown during the Scottish independence campaign, on
    Why he loved the UK, and why it should stay together.
    I will be spoiling my paper
    :)) I've done that too, writing " None of the above" ;)
    I live in a constituency where the incumbant conservative MP has a massive majority and is so busy serving his public that he finds the time to run a dentistry practice and be a risk management consultant to an insurance company. Under such circumstances, one persons vote is pretty meaningless against the mass of robots that will vote conservative come hell or high water.
    patb wrote: »
    I live in a constituency where the incumbant conservative MP has a massive majority and is so busy serving his public that he finds the time to run a dentistry practice and be a risk management consultant to an insurance company. Under such circumstances, one persons vote is pretty meaningless against the mass of robots that will vote conservative come hell or high water.
    Would you care to name this MP ?

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Anyone but the SNP, the SNP have divided Scotland in half, I can't go for a pint of milk without a group of vile scum bags who proclaim to support the SNP harrass me in to backing "their cause".

Probably vote labour just on the basis that they propose a good balance on spending on infrastructure while slowing down the the defecit. Labour has lost its roots though hence the SNP threat. SNP see themselves as the only working party now.
    I see Ed's been to see Russell Brand, must be to get a few
    ideas ! :))
    @patb thanks for putting that post up
    Imnsho the SNP are without doubt the most Dangerous of all the other parties as for another go at splitting the UK well they will of course try it on ! and they will have a go at wrecking Scotland a country which is extremely close to my heart so in Scotland a vote for the Labour Party is a vote for the lesser of two evils you of course try and vote for a Tory but in Scotland they are an endangered species the only other option to vote Lib Dem ?.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I see Ed's been to see Russell Brand, must be to get a few
    ideas ! :))

God Help us all .
    I am way down South but from what I have read, the SNP has become a passionate force (rightly or wrongly) , especially when many in the South don't seem to care a jot. One could claim that it does show that we do indeed have some form of democracy that such a passionate and significant force can actually come close to (or I think acheive in time) their aim. If Scotland does want independence, then so be it. Its not really for the English to slag them off, we should be looking to the consequenses now and planning ahead rather than the childish last minute pannicking that occurred last time.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I am way down South but from what I have read, the SNP has become a passionate force (rightly or wrongly) , especially when many in the South don't seem to care a jot. One could claim that it does show that we do indeed have some form of democracy that such a passionate and significant force can actually come close to (or I think acheive in time) their aim. If Sc
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I am way down South but from what I have read, the SNP has become a passionate force (rightly or wrongly) , especially when many in the South don't seem to care a jot. One could claim that it does show that we do indeed have some form of democracy that such a passionate and significant force can actually come close to (or I think acheive in time) their aim. If Scotland does want independence, then so be it. Its not really for the English to slag them off, we should be looking to the consequenses now and planning ahead rather than the childish last minute pannicking that occurred last time.

Except they dont want independence otherwise they would have voted for it a few months ago. But now suddenly they're all going to vote SNP? Why might that be? A cynic might suggest that they realise that having the SNP holding the whip over a gutless Labour so they can rinse England of even more of its money is a much better deal than going it alone and suddenly having to find all the extra cash themselves to subsidise their free university places and chronic heart disease.