The UK General Election

Comments

Seeing as she isn't running as an MP and her party only have 59 parliamentary candidates - it's never going to happen.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2015 Posts: 17,816
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Seeing as she isn't running as an MP and her party only have 59 parliamentary candidates - it's never going to happen.

They can still do plenty of harm to the Union however, rather like a revealed Trojan horse in Westminster. I just pray that Cameron will be able to muster a majority either at the ballot box or with like-minded parties (Ukip, the DUP and UUP) after the election (if there is yet again a hung parliament, as increasingly looks likely).
    Oh I know, read my earlier post - they're going to make a big difference
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Dont worry thats not going to happen because if the Tories lose Nicola Sturgeon is PM with a Milliband glove puppet.

I would LOVE Nicola Sturgeon as the prime minister of the United Kingdom!

Do you really fail to see the irony in that statement?

I simply believe that Schottish independence would be beneficial not only to most Scottish people, but to most English, Welsh and Northern Irish people too. Sure, they won't hold another independence referendum in Scotland in the next few years, but I really do believe the partition of the UK will happen in my lifetime.

Although I don't follow UK politics religiously, based on what I have heard and read, I find Sturgeon the most competent and sympathetic leader of a major British party... by far. David Cameron seems competent, but I don't really like him. Milliband has the charisma of a damp rag (to steal a line from Mr. Farage) and is a complete joke. Nick Clegg seems ok, but is too mild. Nigel Farage is very charismatic and an excellent speaker, but he is also demagogue and a bigot.
    I took the vote for policies test and apparently I am 40% Green and 30% Conservative.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »

They can still do plenty of harm to the Union however, rather like a revealed Trojan horse in Westminster. I just pray that Cameron will be able to muster a majority either at the ballot box or with like-minded parties (Ukip, the DUP and UUP) after the election (if there is yet again a hung parliament, as increasingly looks likely).

The trouble is with the Lib Dem vote dropping off a cliff even if the Tories do a deal with the Libs, Ukip, and the NI parties this block still wont number anywhere near the SNP which have (rather childishly in my view) said that their primary concern is to keep the Tories out of government.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I took the vote for policies test and apparently I am 40% Green and 30% Conservative.

Bad luck. I did one where I was 96% Tory, 93% Ukip and 20% Green which I was reasonably happy with - although I dont think you can really trust these things as I was also 39% Sinn Fein which is ludicrous.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Outside of Scotland, one can not vote for the SNP. Quite obliviously. But doesn't that defeat the purpose of an general election? There are 59 seats in Scotland. Out of 650. Come May the 7th, when the SNP get in to power, they have a disproportionate say on the matter, voting down any polices that will harm Scotland. Hardly democratic.

This is a general election, not a regional one.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Outside of Scotland, one can not vote for the SNP. Quite obliviously. But doesn't that defeat the purpose of an general election? There are 59 seats in Scotland. Out of 650. Come May the 7th, when the SNP get in to power, they have a disproportionate say on the matter, voting down any polices that will harm Scotland. Hardly democratic.

Good Point Well Made@ royale65.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,552

Which is why a party needs at least 326 seats to form a majority government, ensuring they have enough seats that the other parties can't, in theory, out vote them (except where you get rebels in the party who vote against or abstain).

This is why talk of coalitions and deals is such a big thing in this years election - the two big parties (Conservatives and Labour) both know that they are unlikely to get a majority, so they have to get smaller parties on their side and ensure that they vote their way, and parties that aren't in government don't have a disproportionate say.

The SNP have been in Scotland for years, but they're only making a name for themselves now through last years Independence vote - it's still democratic though, because they still have to be voted in over other Scottish parties. They only had 6 seats, and came third behind Labour and Liberal Democrats in the 2010 general election.

Which ever of the two major parties get in, they will try to make the deals and coalitions necessary to keep enough of their manifestos strong, and not be out voted.

Sorry, but I do not follow your logic.

We keep being told by the Establishment that Scotland is an important part of the UK, and that "we are better together", yet the democratic view of these UK citizens seem to be undemocratic and to be against "our" wishes!

I could understand this more if you had supported Scottish independence, if you didn't want Scottish people to be part of the UK.

Do you also think political parties such as DUP be banned? Or indeed any party that des not field a candidate in every constituency?

Or perhaps we should ban the Tory party from Government on the basis they will vote down any policies that would harm rich people?
    Not to forget that each country in the election have their own parties to represent them - just as your local MPs represent you. Wales has Plaid Cymru (Welsh Party), Northern Ireland has Sinn Féin and Democratic Unionist Party etc, Scotland has the SNP.

Saying that having country only parties is undemocratic, but wouldn't it be undemocratic for them not to be represented by their own parties? Parliament has representative from each constituency in the United Kingdom - not just England.
    Because you disagree with someone's political ideas does not mean you should shut him up if he defends them democratically and is elected by people who share his views. If Scotland decides to vote SNP, so be it. No Englishman here would complain if the Scottish people were to kick the SNP out from power. You can't have a democracy only when you agree with the vox populi.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 4,422
    I'm not saying that.

The trouble is for the SNP, Plaid Cymru etc is that they are concerned with their country. (I'm not blaming them either, btw. If I lived in Scotland, Wales, N.I, I'd probably go for the national party). For example, if the SNP gets into Westminster, what are their views, going to be on, lets say the NHS in the South West of England?

I'm just looking for a little reassurance is all.
    It is a complete mess of a situation full stop!
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,552
    I'm not saying that. Either let us all vote SNP, the Welsh Party or what have you, or ban them completely. Where's my South West England party, for example?
    If they chose to put a candidate up for election in your constituency, they could do. England has The English Democrats, for example. You also have Independent candidates that could stand for your area specifically.

The SNP, SF, DUP, PC etc could all field candidates in England - there's nothing stopping them, they just choose not to.
    @JCRendle - I didn't know that, re the SNp et al fielding candidates in England. Thanks!
    For example, if the SNP gets into Westminster, what are their views, going to be on, lets say the NHS in the South West of England?

It's not the SNP's fault that England doesn't have a devolved parliament.

Dont forget, both Labour and Con fully supported the first past the post system during the refferendum on PR on the basis that it provided strong, clear government. We have had 5 years of coalition and we are about to enter into a period of massive uncertainty.
    For example, if the SNP gets into Westminster, what are their views, going to be on, lets say the NHS in the South West of England?

Quite. If I was Scottish I'd have voted no to independence but SNP for this election. Until the English wake up to the fact they're being shafted who can blame the jocks for doing all they can to siphon off as much of our money as they can get away with?

Alas despite the odd rumbling recently English apathy seems pretty entrenched. In some election a few years ago I voted English Democrats who think England should get the same rights as the others. When the results came in they got a paltry 0.5% of the vote.

Probably people saw the word 'English' and assumed they were some far right group because if you fly the Scottish or Welsh flag you're being patriotic, if you fly the English flag you're a racist.
    because if you fly the Scottish or Welsh flag you're being patriotic, if you fly the English flag you're a racist.
    Which makes it very easy to see when a major sporting event is taking place. The only time you'll see a lot of the St. George's flag.

Its true that unlike most elections, this GE has tapped into cultural identities in a way that few have, if any, before. The passion and pride of Scotland has been exploited brilliantly by the SNP, they see a future and hope that the English simply do not. I think many English voters are just as fed up with the Westminster establishment as the Scots but they dont see a way out and they dont see a way they can change things, they are just stuck with the same old faces, the same old soundbites and same old lies. NS and her team are a breath of fresh air and , I suspect, many in England would find her team and attractive propersition (plus the fact that Labour has moved so far to the middle that many traditional Labour voters feel let down), whatever happens, it's going to be an amazing and historic week .
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138

Quite. If I was Scottish I'd have voted no to independence but SNP for this election. Until the English wake up to the fact they're being shafted who can blame the jocks for doing all they can to siphon off as much of our money as they can get away with?

Alas despite the odd rumbling recently English apathy seems pretty entrenched. In some election a few years ago I voted English Democrats who think England should get the same rights as the others. When the results came in they got a paltry 0.5% of the vote.

Probably people saw the word 'English' and assumed they were some far right group because if you fly the Scottish or Welsh flag you're being patriotic, if you fly the English flag you're a racist.

I am Scottish, I did vote in the referendum, I voted no. Why? for the following reasons.

Nationalism is a small minded selfish idealism. Hitler was a nationalist.
    The SNP lied in their White paper (their publish paper on why Scotland would succeed if we went it alone) after the referendum the situation in Russia/Ukraine caused the price of oil to plumit. Financial experts have stated oil will remain low and Scottish oil uncompetitive in pricing for the forseeable future. This would have bankcrupted Scotland relying upon oil to replace the purse or barnet formula. The SNP refuse to discuss this. Sturegon will only respond "it was not just about oil".

John Swinney the Scottish finance secratary formed the finacials of the White paper despite criticism of the inflated numbers he did not publicly defend his work.

There was no serious proposal for our countries defence. No Navy to secure our border forgetting that our Royal Navy also don't just keep danger from our shores but drugs as well. Under the SNP our streets would be filled with even more heroin and cocaine. No nuclear deterrent leaving us open to invasion. This is why people call the SNP vision Utopian, they dont believe anyone would want to harm Scotland (what a gamble considering half the platoon who fight in the british army against ISIS, Taliban and Al Q are Scottish Batalians.

The SNP use their own agenda to create a class war and anti English sentiment and regligious hatred and biggotry, with Scottish catholics sympathetic to the plight of irish repbulicans in Nothern Ireland backing the SNP to get rid of the British and the Queen from Scotland.

The SNP use intimidating tactics to keep other campaigning parties off the high street which they patrol - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-2015-jim-murphy-5637727

I have seen this behaviour with my own two eyes, I watched 3 large SNP thugs intimidating 3 elderly members of the better together campaign in my own towns shopping centre, in which they were calling them traitors and telling them to leave. I pulled out my mobile phone and began recordings in order to scare them off. They have lower class militant following.

Former SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars claimed there will be a “day of reckoning” for major Scottish employers who warned their staff of the possible implications of voting for independence.

If you question the SNP their answer is too shout over you and ignore the question.

People backing the SNP won't listen to the warnings that by voting SNP they take away key Scottish seats from Labour and this will leave the Torries in power, the one thing they want rid off. It looks like the SNP will take most Scottish seats, I cant wait to see their faces when they way up after the election to reliase David Cameron is still the PM.

Did I say it was?

I agree with @TheWizardOfIce -

You hear time and time again, that someone has the English flag flying, but someone has claimed that the St. George's flag is upsetting, and racist, so the council asked for it to be removed. You tell an American that he couldn't fly his flag, and see what would happen. Gosh, that was almost a Daily Mail rant, wasn't it?

I think the English are fed up with the chaps at Westminster, all the lies, the establishment, the spin doctoring and what not, that they've just gotten used to it. There is no English party, that can unite us, like the SNP, for example.

Let me make this clear, I don't have a problem with people in Scotland, Wales and N.I voting for their national parties. I'm just frustrated that the English doesn't have one. Or one who isn't a waste of a vote, like in the example the @Wiz gave above.

@royale65, until this election, the SNP could have been seen as a wasted vote in prior elections. There are 59 seats in Scotland, the most the SNP have won are 11 and that was in 1974 (when Scotland had a higher number of seats in parliament, 71) the following year they only got 2 and since then the highest number of seats won were 6.

This years election is unprecedented.
    @SirHilaryBray Don't forget that not all people who voted "yes" at last year's independence referendum did so for nationalistic reasons. Many people who are for Scottish independence simply think that Scotland would have a better future as an independent country.
    Nationalism works both ways, all of the three leaders played the GB nationalism card in the week leading up to the vote when there was a last minute panic and they thought they could lose.
    @SirHilaryBray Don't forget that not all people who voted "yes" at last year's independence referendum did so for nationalistic reasons. Many people who are for Scottish independence simply think that Scotland would have a better future as an independent country.

Yes, I was one fo those, but not on the SNP's terms. The referendum came at the wrong time and on the wrong terms. Why they choose a time when the global financial crisis was begining to recover did not make sense, it was clear to me that this was deliverate by the SNP as they know those struggling the most would back them "operation blame the torries". Why was there not a referendum in the Blair or Brown years when everything was rosey? quite clearly the SNP wanted a referendum when it was the bad times but forgot how good it can be to be party of the UK when things are going well.
    The SNP use intimidating tactics to keep other campaigning parties off the high street which they patrol - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-2015-jim-murphy-5637727

I have seen this behaviour with my own two eyes, I watched 3 large SNP thugs intimidating 3 elderly members of the better together campaign in my own towns shopping centre, in which they were calling them traitors and telling them to leave. I pulled out my mobile phone and began recordings in order to scare them off. They have lower class militant following.

Just saw footage of some SNP rabble shouting down the Labour guy and Eddie Izzard at speech they were trying to make and almost coming to blows with some others in the crowd. Shocking, positively shocking.

Shades of Munich in the 1930s.
    And obviously the SNP have denied their members were involved...
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Now suspended them but like that will stop the vile Nazi scum.