Bond Film Guilty Pleasures

MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
edited March 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 5,080
We all have that one Bond film (maybe two? Three?) that is derided by many fellow Bond fans, but which we cannot help but loving despite it's flaws! It's that Bond film that's in your top ten, which is likely to raise a few member's eyebrows! It's that Bond film that was either your first cinematic experience, or that film that just thoroughly entertained you!

So, what Bond film is your guilty pleasure?

Obviously, it's well documented on here that my Bond film guilty pleasure is A View to a Kill.

I love it. It's wacky, bizarre, even dark at times; just a heap of fun that I can always indulge in.

But also, to a lesser extent, The World is not Enough is a second guilty pleasure.

Comments

My first guilty pleasure would be Diamonds Are Forever. I love the music and characters even though the story is admittedly not the best.

Second guilty pleasure - Tie between You Only Live Twice and Moonraker
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Funny I actually have the same guilty pleasures as you @MayDayDiVicenzo, except I'd put TWINE before AVTAK.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MR, TWINE, DAD, AVTAK, DAF. I really like all 5 of them. If I had to chose a favorite of these it would be a tie of AVTAK and TWINE.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have no guilty pleasures. I am innocent. Framed.
    All right, QOS then. Most people here hate it. I think it is a worthy top ten entry.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited March 2015 Posts: 5,080
    I was also going to say Octopussy, but it seems to have gained a following recently on here. Which is always a good thing.
    Most people have FRWL as their guilty pleasure.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I'm ashamed to say that I'm one of those, too.
    Me, too. Does not make me a troll, or maybe it does. Who can tell?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Guilty pleasure would mean a bad Bond I still like anyway. I will respond instead to "a Bond most dislike".
    DAF
    TMWTGG
    DAD
    QOS (but this one is rapidly gaining its deserved acceptance, and once SP comes out fans will connect to it better IMHO).
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    TMWTGG. I never could quite explain it, but I enjoy watching it.
    Kerim wrote: »
    Because it's FUN!! =D>
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The first 45 minutes of DAD is also a guilty pleasure of mine. But after that I just press eject on my Bluray remote. ;)
    jake24 wrote: »
    The first 45 minutes of DAD is also a guilty pleasure of mine. But after that I just press eject on my Bluray remote. ;)
    But then you miss "Put your back into it!"
    :-?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,595
    All right, QOS then. Most people here hate it. I think it is a worthy top ten entry.

I don't know what forum you've been browsing, but most people here seem to love it, or at least like it quite a lot. Hardly anyone hates it.

I have no Bond guilty pleasures, personally. I like to respect my opinion and taste enough to defend the films and aspects I enjoy. Don't think that it makes me pretentious, just a Bond fan. I have a much harder time enjoying anything entertainment wise if I think it sucks while I'm viewing/reading it.

I don't know what forum you've been browsing, but most people here seem to love it, or at least like it quite a lot. Hardly anyone hates it.
    Count me as someone who dislikes QOS. I don't HATE it, but I find it to be incredibly rushed and sloppy, sorry.

Concerning Bond film guilty pleasures, it begins and ends with Tomorrow Never Dies for me. Not many people seem to be fans of this film and while I am ready to admit its shortcomings (the biggest being the flat second half), I am always somehow entertained. Not quite top 10, but hanging around there.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 3,687
    I'd say DAF for me. It was the first Bond film I deliberately watched BECAUSE it was a James Bond film.

Prior to that I had seen LALD with my Dad in 73 - all I remembered for years was the coconut head scarecrows which freaked me out as a kid, and the crocodile island scene. Then in '79 - MR which was an "adult movie" (which was like, you know, Star Wars), then TSWLM when it premiered on network TV.

After that I was determined to check out all the Bonds. DAF was the first I happened upon right when Beta tapes were available. I was creeped out by the Wint/Kidd scenes always underscored by their sinister feline-esque theme. I also loved the Bambi/Thumper smack down scene and moon buggy chase. All the rest of the films became a quest for me from there.

So despite tacky seventies Las Vegas culture and dress code, the movie reminds me of my early fascination with Bond.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Kerim wrote: »
    Because it's FUN!! =D>

Well yeah, that too. To me. it's so bad, it's good.

• edited April 2015 Posts: 372
    YOLT - one of my favorites
    DAF - I love the music and the atmosphere, especially in the Las Vegas (desert) scenes
    TMWTGG - Great villain, henchman, Bondgirl, Bond, LAIR, etc.
    AVTAK - Just incredibly fun
    SJK91 wrote: »
    Count me as someone who dislikes QOS. I don't HATE it, but I find it to be incredibly rushed and sloppy, sorry.

Concerning Bond film guilty pleasures, it begins and ends with Tomorrow Never Dies for me. Not many people seem to be fans of this film and while I am ready to admit its shortcomings (the biggest being the flat second half), I am always somehow entertained. Not quite top 10, but hanging around there.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it either, I was just pointing it out that, having been around these boards for awhile, it seems like MI6 has its fair share of QOS supporters.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 372
    SJK91 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it either, I was just pointing it out that, having been around these boards for awhile, it seems like MI6 has its fair share of QOS supporters.

Don´t worry, I don´t like it either. Worst Bond movie of all time, in my opinion. However I think Xenia is right that a lot of people seem to like it here. Which is fine of course. (: But I'll never warm up to it.

As for TND, to get back on topic... It's not one of my favorites, but I do think the action choreography is outstanding. It has some of the best fight scenes in the entire series.
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Agree with @jake24: although "Die Another Day" is generally slagged as the worst Bond of all, I dunno... it's not half bad. Specifically, the first half is not bad. As far as Guilty Pleasures go, "DAD" is the one I am most ashamed of admitting I kind of like.

Rational defenses can be made of other turkeys held in low esteem--but DAD is the guiltiest of pleasures for me. Madonna! Say no more!!
    I really enjoy DAD.Its camp and ridiculous but its fun.

Moonraker is another guilty pleasure of mine for the same reasons.

Sometimes its good to watch a Bond movie where our man is having FUN.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Ohmss. You love chickens...oh hilly...lol
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Moonraker- Favorite Moore film and sits at #5 overall.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    We all have that one Bond film (maybe two? Three?) that is derided by many fellow Bond fans, but which we cannot help but loving despite it's flaws! It's that Bond film that's in your top ten, which is likely to raise a few member's eyebrows! It's that Bond film that was either your first cinematic experience, or that film that just thoroughly entertained you!

So, what Bond film is your guilty pleasure?

Obviously, it's well documented on here that my Bond film guilty pleasure is A View to a Kill.

I love it. It's wacky, bizarre, even dark at times; just a heap of fun that I can always indulge in.

But also, to a lesser extent, The World is not Enough is a second guilty pleasure.

A fellow TWINE fan. Whilst I don't rank TWINE as a guilty pleasure - its got enough good scenes to elevate beyond a guilty pleasure IMO - AVTAK is. AVTAK is quite a dichotomous film, but the performances of Messrs Moore, Walken and Macnee, and a certain John Barry score, raises it up somewhat.

More to the point both TWINE and AVTAK were my first Bond VHS adventures. Buy Bond Get One Free! as the marketing used to say. TWINE had just came out on VHS, so my mum got it, plus AVTAK. Why that one? Its not particularly iconic or memorable. I just think mum recognized the title - she a massive Duran Duran fan. So both those titles have a certain nostalgic, sentimental glow about them.
    royale65 wrote: »
    A fellow TWINE fan.
    Me too. We must make a sub-club.

:))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »
    A fellow TWINE fan.
    Me too. We must make a sub-club.

:))
    Me as well. ;)
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    If I look at the bottom five in my ranking, then by all means it must be A VIEW TO A KILL
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    MR for me - my fourth favourite Roger film and one I'll defend. Although I've noticed over the years that its reputation has improved. When I first got into Bond (late 80s) MR was firmly ensconced at the bottom of most rankings (then again back then people still slammed OHMSS - how far we've come).

And I don't mind a bit of NSNA - especially the first two thirds - after Fatima explodes most of the good stuff goes with her but I rate Klaus Maria Brandeur as a top flight villain in the Bond series.