Music in SPECTRE

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I can't hum "Silver Wraith", but that doesn't make it lesser than any tune with a melody you can hum. There's much more to music and scoring than just making something to hum to. To suggest otherwise is to dismiss many great works of music that thrive on percussion and bass. Is the Day of the Dead parade terrible for being almost exclusively reliable on percussion? It's the most primal and oldest piece of music that has remained timeless. It may also be a reflection of the times. In pop culture, music in recent years has leaned more heavily towards percussion based music, a far cry from the big band days that relied on heavily orchestrated melodies with minimal percussion. If you tried making kids today dance to Glen Miller's "Midnight Serenade", they'd probably complain that there's no beat to dance to like "I Remember" by deadmau5.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    zerozero wrote: »
    when was the last time we had that?

i find myself humming Arnold's orchestrations of 'You Know My Name' from CR a lot... as well as his 'Night at the Opera' from QOS.... i can't do the same with Newman's work.

I find myself humming Tennyson and Grand Bazaar.

• You know the score wouldn't have been as jarring for me, but I did watch SkyFall RIGHT before going to see SP for the first time. It's undeniable. 70% or more of the action scenes rehash directly from skyfall. THEY ARENT EVEN VARIATIONS, ITS THE SAME DAMNED EXACT MUSIC! There's some good stuff besides that, but seriously the blatant reuse of SF tracks is a incredibly heinous mistake.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd love to see the Pfeifer Broz. score an entire Bond film.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Newman's forte are the subtle cues, which he scores well - but the action in Bond needs someone who can deliver 'the cool factor' to a score.
    Apart from the PTS scoring there is none of that to be found in SP
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Lots of bond songs, including WOTW now available in a Spotify playlist http://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2015/11/08/best-of-bond-playlist-on-spotify/
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Looking at the soundtrack it doesn't appear like its too far out of sync with the film, there are one or two that are out of place, so I suppose this would be the movie running order:

1. Los Muertos Vivos Estan
    2. Day of the Dead
    3. Vauxhall Bridge
    4. The Eternal City
    5. Donna Lucia
    6. A Place Without Mercy
    7. Backfire
    8. The Pale King
    9. Crows Klinik
    10. Snow Plane
    11. L'Americain
    12. Secret Room
    13. Hinx
    14. Writing's on the Wall (Instrumental)
    15. Silver Wraith
    16. A Reuinion
    17. Kite in a Hurricaine
    18. Tempus Fugit
    19. Safe House
    20. Blindfold
    21. Careless
    23. Detonation
    24. Westminster Bridge
    25. Out of Bullets
    26. Spectre End Titles

Seems like there is a lot missing from the soundtrack. I wonder if they'll ever release an expanded version (I want that lovely gunbarrel music).
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I'd assume there will be a digital release because for an expanded edition it would have to be a two disc edition, which none of the Bond films ever get. Both the Newman soundtracks stop at 80 mins, which is the limit of a CD. I think CR is the only one to get a bonus tracks release so far, and that was digital only because that goes up to 87 mins. These Craig films being longer consequently has the longest scores of the series, with the exception of QOS which managed to put a soundtrack out with the complete soundtrack.
    Aren't there like special Oscar copies that feature more music to be judged for things like Best score? I remember one for the Incredibles being released some time ago expanding the score to be complete. Perhaps one will come out for SPECTRE.

I can also expect a fan compiled bootleg soundtrack coming out sometime after the film does. There are a lot of people good at isolating music from the film itself.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote: »
    Aren't there like special Oscar copies that feature more music to be judged for things like Best score?

I don't that's really going to be applicable in this case do you?

Unless there's a new category: 'Most Flagrant Rehashing Of A Previous Score'.
    Aren't there like special Oscar copies that feature more music to be judged for things like Best score?

I don't that's really going to be applicable in this case do you?

Unless there's a new category: 'Most Flagrant Rehashing Of A Previous Score'.

Not for SPECTRE's case but film scores in general. :))
  • carlos_D29carlos_D29 Houston,TX
    One question about the music in Spectre. Saw the movie twice over the weekend and I felt j missed something. On the trailer we heard what it was a remix version of the OHMSS theme but it was not on during the movie?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 16,328
    It was made just for the trailer by the Pfeifer Broz.
  • carlos_D29carlos_D29 Houston,TX
    Thank you @Murdock
    You're welcome. :)
  • I recently discovered that Thomas Newman scored one of my very few genuine guilty cinematic pleasures: Death To Smoochy. So far, this is a reason to love him :))

The problem, music-wise, is that I only heard the Bond sountracks until Goldeneye, then started again for no apparent reason, so my review would be utterly invalid.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Saw the film again tonight. There are segments of the film that are superb from a music point of view (mainly in the first hour) and then some that are not so good (that electric guitar motif from "The Moors" in Skyfall that was repeated over and over for about 10 minutes while Bond was in MI6 building).
    Anyone else love the downtempo Bond theme that plays near the end of "Detonation", followed by that long tracking shot
    into the corridor with the arrow.

So badass.

I loved how Newman uses the finale cues from Skyfall in Spectre, but in different ways.

Newman's score is pedestrian at best.
    I watched the movie again yesterday. And again, I loved the score. The part of the Rome chase in which they go through the Vatican City has an amazing orchestration. I enjoyed that moment. I love that short cue.
    THE gunbarrel cue in this video starting at 0:51!

I'm so annoyed that the Gunbarrel music wasn't included in the score...It was the best music in the film for me.
    I MAY be able to get the clean version of the cue if Sony release this little featurette on the EPK like they did with the blogs
    Here's hoping. The opening of that video starts with the DUN DUN DUNNNNN part and it's pretty soundless for the most part.
    SP’s gunbarrel music & PTS score was class. Great stuff, had me grinning. I thought Bond was back, both in visual & musical terms.
    So once Sam Smith’s crooning hits the screen you realize that Newman does actually know how to score Bond… Just made it all the more INFURIATING that he gave up on the rest of the film (other than perhaps ‘Donna Lucia’).

The man can do it, but just didn’t care enough to do it for the remaining 90% of the film, as I have stated before. To illustrate in Catherine Tate terms: Newman just ain’t bothered.
    There are a few tracks in the score I enjoyed. But the rest was just Skyfall leftovers. I just wish he tried harder to top himself instead of rehashing himself. So much wasted potential in my opinion.
    There are a few tracks in the score I enjoyed. But the rest was just Skyfall leftovers. I just wish he tried harder to top himself instead of rehashing himself. So much wasted potential in my opinion.

It was limp yes, but don't think he necessarily needs to kill himself for it...
    AceHole wrote: »

A full rendition of the James Bond theme during a couple of the Action scenes would have made me a little more forgiving. That's not hard to adapt. :P

A full rendition of the James Bond theme during a couple of the Action scenes would have made me a little more forgiving. That's not hard to adapt. :P

If ever there was a suitable 1st time within the Craig era to have the full-on brass Bond theme it would have been when 007 come along side & nods at Hinx from the airplane... surely?!

If ever there was a suitable 1st time within the Craig era to have the full-on brass Bond theme it would have been when 007 come along side & nods at Hinx from the airplane... surely?!

This arrangement would have been perfect.