Was the cello case sled scene the silliest part of Dalton's era?

2»

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    But the rest of it is pretty great.

\m/
    You guys forgot what is arguably the most memorable part about the bar scene:

For your listening pleasure. ;)
    I like that song. But then, I'm a kid of the 80's.

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    No problem with the bar scene, personally.

On the subject of silliness, let us not forget the boat bimbo in TLD who complains how boring it is, entirely oblivious to the jeep which just drove off a cliff and exploded right next to her.

Personally I've always thought poor Timmy must have been rather silly to turn down Lupe in favour of Pam. Should have gone to Specsavers...
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    No problem with the bar scene, personally.

Me too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Dirty Love is the only way to love. :D
  • Personally I love LTK's bar brawl (and yes, love that "Dirty Love" song, too!). It was a refreshing bit of fun amidst a rather grim Bond adventure. But then again, there is very little I can find of fault with LTK. Here's what I wrote about the brawl for my Best James Bond Hand-to-Hand Fights article:
    Considering what a serious film Licence to Kill is with its revenge plot and unusually gruesome depictions of violence (for the James Bond series), it’s a bit of a surprise to find an old-fashioned, madcap bar brawl pop up midway through. When Bond meets CIA informer Pam Bouvier at a bar in Bimini, they spot sharks lurking amongst the island riffraff, not the least deadly of whom is Dario, former Contra and right hand to drug lord Franz Sanchez. It doesn’t take long for Dario’s switchblade to spring out and Pam’s shotgun to talk back, and before you know it the whole bar is hopping with chaos: barmaids screaming, beer bottles smashing, one good punch calling for another.

Timothy Dalton may generally be known for his more serious, more Flemingesque take on 007, but he still brought out the character’s more humorous side whenever the occasion called for it. Just look at the expression on his face when a man comes close to spearing him with an ornamental swordfish or the way he sells a blow to the gut with his eyes nearly crossed. Far from a klutz, however, Dalton throws a mean punch here as well and gets a moment of Errol Flynn-styled heroism when he swings on a ceiling fixture to knock someone out. This brawl also marks Bond’s first date with Pam, and what better way to bond than in helping one another fend off riled drunks and vicious cartel henchmen? All in all, the Barrelhead brawl is a delightfully screwy, but not too over-the-top diversion in Dalton’s harder-edged final outing.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I'm the resident "silly supporter" (although I'm of the firm belief that there is "good silly" and "bad silly" as I've posted elsewhere, and it's a fine line indeed).

Count me in the club. The line between good silly and bad silly is so thin indeed it's a miracle not to fall. When you have both feets on the ground, of course you can't fall, but anyone can do it ! Taking risks is more interesting.

For me, the parrot in FYEO is very good silly, Hitchcock silly, for instance. The cello, a bit less, though.

And I like how they dared to make the silly water-skiing escape part of the plot of LTK : the villain just can't believe it, and it helps making him believe everyone's a traitor around him.
    The only thing missing from the cello case, was having it be split by a tree
    and have them both go in different directions. :))
    DrGorner wrote: »
    The only thing missing from the cello case, was having it be split by a tree
    and have them both go in different directions. :))
    Now THAT would have been a bit much for me.
    :-?
    Play the Benny hill theme over it, and away you go. :))
    The bar fight in LTK
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Play the Benny hill theme over it, and away you go. :))
    Funny as that theme is, after V For Vendetta, it has a serious tone for me nowadays...
    b-(
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Love the bar fight and the Cello chase, but both are silly.
    A touch of silly in a film like TLD or LTK is tolerated, even welcome, by those who like me appreciate an actor's successful take on Bond above all else.

You are spot on.

After he says, "touche" some heavy knocks the shytt out of Dalton and he ends up flat on his back. Priceless. Shows that his Bond was not a "superman" after all. He could get hurt, he bled, and he took a beating during the tanker chase in LTK.
    The bar fight was fun and had some great light moments then it ends with a shocking finale when Dario shoots Pam. Turns out she's okay, but that scene I heard moans in the theater when she falls into the boat.
    More reasons to love LTK and Dalton's take.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »

After he says, "touche" some heavy knocks the shytt out of Dalton and he ends up flat on his back. Priceless. Shows that his Bond was not a "superman" after all.

You also are spot on. =D>
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    No the cello escape worked fine for me. Seems like a creative way to toboggan down that hill.

Shocked no one has mentioned the semi-truck doing a wheelie in LTK. That was just dumb to be, and more than a little silly. You don't need any car expertise to know that that is 100% impossible.

The other contender would be the Taliban precursor meeting general Gogol and everyone laughing and slapping each other on the back. Do you think the US secretary of State would react well to an impromptu introduction to some Taliban commanders? That was very very silly.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Sark wrote: »
    Do you think the US secretary of State would react well to an impromptu introduction to some Taliban commanders?

In 1987, yes. ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote: »

After he says, "touche" some heavy knocks the shytt out of Dalton and he ends up flat on his back. Priceless. Shows that his Bond was not a "superman" after all.

You also are spot on. =D>

He gets knocked to the ground for a SECOND but is quickly looking up at the dancer on stage. He even has the standard bleeding lip. I personally wouldn't call that a moment that shows real vulnerability.
  • I like the bar fight, it finds the proper mix between humor and seriousness to my way of thinking. The cello case sled is probably the silliest moment of Dalton's brief career as Bond, but it could have been worse: remember the "magic carpet ride" edited out of TLD! That was was a little too much Moore to be kept in the Daltonator's world...
    The bar fight in LTK has always seemed out of place. It looks to be inspired by the bar fight in AIRPLANE.

As for the cello case in TLD, it navigates the hill a little too straight, but is otherwise plausible.
  • I love Dalton's "glad I insisted you bring the cello now" quip, after him bemoaning the fact she wouldn't leave without the damn thing earlier.
    :)) especially after his earlier quip about why didn't she learn the violin ! :D