In which film were they at their best? [CONCLUSION]

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GE for me. I love how Brosnan pulls the door open on the boat. ;;)
    Hahah, are you talking about before he fights the sailor and goes downstairs? The little dance move he does to open the sliding glass door?
    GoldenEye for sure! Way too many examples of his exceptional performance. All his scenes just make him radiate with Bond-ness, especially his scenes with 006, Xenia, and General Ourumov.
    GoldenEye for sure! Way too many examples of his exceptional performance. All his scenes just make him radiate with Bond-ness, especially his scenes with 006, Xenia, and General Ourumov.
    Thank you! I was wondering when you were going to jump into this topic and voice your opinion, ;-)
    @Creasy47: Yeah, sorry for the delay. You know I'd never pass up an opprotunity to show my enthusiasm for GE and Pierce Brosnan!
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,500
    @00Beast, no problem, glad you arrived in time. Nice to see someone share the same enthusiasm as I do. I didn't notice if @Jinx posted earlier.
    Well, looks like it's me, you, and Jinx on the GoldenEye party! :-bd
    Absolutely! It's actually surprising to see so many votes for DAD. Sure, I enjoy a good plenty of sections in it - not so much of the Ice Castle or the 'shocking' finale - but I just think GE is the best. Many users seem to think that Brosnan was outshined by all of the excellent villains, but I think he worked best with them. Alec may not have been as good as he was if there was no colleague backstory there. That's what really made it, and seeing them work together and fight together was entertaining.
    Absolutely! It's actually surprising to see so many votes for DAD. Sure, I enjoy a good plenty of sections in it - not so much of the Ice Castle or the 'shocking' finale - but I just think GE is the best. Many users seem to think that Brosnan was outshined by all of the excellent villains, but I think he worked best with them. Alec may not have been as good as he was if there was no colleague backstory there. That's what really made it, and seeing them work together and fight together was entertaining.
    Well stated! Yeah, I'm not so sure what the whole thing with Die Another Day is about. Personally, I'd say it was his least best performance. And yes, he did work best with the villains and henchmen. Just look at the graveyard scene in GE with 006, the scene with Dr. Kaufman in TND, eliminating Elektra in TWINE, and the scene in DAD when he finds out that Graves is Colonel Moon and that Miranda is a traitor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    GE for me. Brosnan looked like he belonged in the role and fit the bill for the film against Sean Bean's great villain. Too bad all the rest weren't this good. :-(
    What happened to Robert Browns entry on the list?
    Acting wise TWINE
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,310
    Tomorrow Never Dies for me. There are some good scenes in TND, with a special nod going to the whole Dr. Kaufman scene; I thought that whole scene (Bond finding Paris, killing Kaufman) was Brosnan's best moment as 007.

I think Sean Bean upstaged Brosnan in GoldenEye and found his Brosnan's GE performance stiff at times. (A perfect example of this is when Bond finds out 006 is Janus in the statue park, Sean Bean owns that scene, Brosnan comes up short big time.) There were for sure some kinks to be worked out.

The World is Not Enough was a little melodramatic, but I still don't see how some of you on this board says he was horrendous in it...I prefer his TWINE performance to his GE performance.

And as far as Die Another Day goes, the movie sucked for sure, and to me Brosnan sometimes came across as a slimy playboy...but perhaps this is the script's fault as well. At the same time, I prefer his DAD performance to TWINE and GE; Brosnan did seem comfortable in the role in DAD.

Anyways, Tomorrow Never Dies, final answer.
  • He sucked in all 4 films imo but he was most bearable in Tomorrow Never Dies. So his sophomore outing gets my vote.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2011 Posts: 4,450
    The World Is Not enough.

2. Goldeneye. That it be Brosnan and Dench there first Bond movie (The lack of Experimance) make this movie very good where Twine doing with the biggest growing (There have Experimance ) in the part. In Both movies have a kind of agression i like. I choose for Twine because Brosnan helps the movie for the biggest part too with les help from other actors then Goldeneye.
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies. Best humor and Brosnan mabey looks like the best in this one.
    4. Die Another Day. The Fencing game is my favorite scene. Another good moment is where Brosnan Bond have Twine moment where he said the title of the movie and tells graves he known he whas Moon. Bond is Europe chacter for me and there be things in this movie to American and Bond/Brosnan too. A big part of the chacters under performing.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. GE
    2. DAD
    3. TND
    4. TWINE
  • TWINE!
    best Brosnan performance ?

The Long Good Friday, heh, first ever movie for the Irishman and one word all film

back to Bond

Pierce Brosnans Bond ever since dropping (quite literally) into Goldeneye always seemed like some Americanized smarmy suit type with dry humor not really comfortable in the role of Britains greatest ever spy or long running franchise

I said The World is not enough (1999), although I think other actors he worked with played a part

Brosnan was too old in Die Another Day, walking around Cuba with shirts on that should have warranted a license

sex scenes with Halle Berry not at all convincing, fencing with Madonna, just doesn't work

TND (1997), was really boring, sneaking around German newspaper shops and then the stupid nonsense in Shanghai

Goldeneye was not too bad, but I think he tried too hard to impress and didn't seem really comfortable, The Tank chase was good but that airplane dive at the beginning was just madness

The least said about the woman with the killer legs the better

When was Bond in Shanghai in TND ? IT was filmed in Thailand and meant to be Vietnam.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Die Another Day. He seems comfortable.
    TND.
    TWINE was the movie when he had grown into the role.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GE for me. I love how Brosnan pulls the door open on the boat. ;;)
    Hahah, are you talking about before he fights the sailor and goes downstairs? The little dance move he does to open the sliding glass door?
    The little dance, yeah, I loved that. ;;)

People, we have to settle a dilemma. Both TWINE and DAD hold first position. I will make the decision and for various reasons, I choose DAD.
    What happened to Robert Browns entry on the list?
    You're right sir. 13 proves an unlucky number once again. Everything should be correct now. ;;)
    Bernard Lee as M: OHMSS
    Walter Gotell as General Anatol Alexis Gogol: OP
    Desmond Llewelyn as Q: LTK
    Geoffrey Keen as Sir Frederick Gray: MR
    Dame Judy Dench as M: CR
    Victor Tourjansky as 'man with bottle': MR
    Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny: OHMSS
    Samantha Bond as Miss Moneypenny: GE
    Sean Connery as James Bond: TB
    Richard Kiel as Jaws: TSWLM
    David Hedison as Felix Leiter: LTK
    Robert Brown as M: LTK
    Roger Moore as James Bond: TSWLM
    Eunice Gayson as Sylvia Trench: DN
    Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter: QOS
    Robbie Coltrane as Valentin Dmitrovich Zukovsky: GE
    Clifton James as J.W. Pepper: LALD
    Joe Don Baker as Jack Wade: GE
    Jeremy Bulloch as Smithers: FYEO
    Pierce Brosnan as James Bond: DAD

Entry #21: Eva Reuber-Staier as Rublevitch

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2011 Posts: 3,262
    TSWLM. I like how she says "On leave, General. At a people's rest and recuperation center."
    People, we have to settle a dilemma. Both TWINE and DAD hold first position. I will make the decision and for various reasons, I choose DAD.
    You made the right pick, DD. Give me the non-PC, cigar-smoking, older more haggard, chauvinistic ladykiller("Put your back into it, eh?") Bond of DAD over the whiny sentimental Bond of TWINE anyday.
  • TSWLM
    lol I almost feel like I need to turn in my 'Bond fan' card... but who on earth is that??
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Don't worry, i'm having a bit of trouble remembering whom Rublevitch was. :-?
    Don't worry, i'm having a bit of trouble remembering whom Rublevitch was. :-?
    Gogol's secretary (or mistress?) ;;)

http://a.giscos.free.fr/cinema/Acteur/E/EvaRueberStaier/EvaRueberStaier1.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,691
    I still don't remember her from the films... I pass on this round.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    So she must have been in The Spy Who Loved Me, as said, and Moonraker where she was in General Gogol's bedroom when he was woken, then?

There are only two choices, I think...

I can't believe we're having this conversation.
    She is seen in TSWLM (most notably in the PTS informing Gogol on XXX's whereabouts), in FYEO (where she accepts Gogol's phone and apparently some of his charms too) and in OP (where she walks passed an obviously interested Gogol and informs Orlov). She's not, however, Gogol's lover in MR.

Seeing as this actress appeared in three Bond films, and even speaks a few lines, she has earned a place in this thread.