Bond 25 Production Diary

Comments

ggl007 wrote: »
    BREAKING: Christoph Waltz says he's not returning https://www.facebook.com/talkymovie/videos/490859154629767/

(Is this like the “I’m just playing Oberhauser” thing…?)

Been ages since I woke up and turned on the computer to some decent news. TBH, by comparison with the other Blofeld actors (Max Von Sydow included) I tend to overlook that Waltz also played Blofeld. Maybe B25 will end up with a solid villain this time.
  • @ColonelSun You are right, it is possible that Blofeld will be played by a different actor in B25, but I'm sure you agree that Blofeld's return seems far less likely today than it did yesterday.

@ClarkDevlin Thanks!

Yes, I agree. The rumour about them wanting to take Bond in a new direction for Craig's last bow may be accurate - they may have some surprises in store for us.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,309
    Extremely disappointed that it won't be a YOLT adaptation, but at this point I'm more concerned with them making a great Bond film. Waltz seems genuinely disappointed in that interview.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited October 2017 Posts: 299
    Feel a bit bad for Waltz, he deserved better than what he got to work with in SP and I believe he still could've really brought something special if he was given another chance with the right material. I am pleased with this news though, the less Bond 25 has in common with SP, the better chance there is of Craig really going out on a high imo.

Also I would say there is practically no chance of them immediately recasting Blofeld for Bond 25, there's no real need to and its harder to get away with in this day and age. Maybe with the next Bond they will eventually bring the character back but I dont think it will be for several years at the very least.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    no, neither am. He put in what felt like such a half-assed effort like he didn't give a damn. He had a contract. Said his lines (albeit what they gave him wasn't very exciting, but still, he's an actor-- fake enthusiasm, FAKE IT!!), and went on with his life, only remembering he was in a Bond film when they called him to do some promotional duties and premieres, lol...

You know I heard from some friends on SP that Waltz was difficult and we know he clashed with Mendes. Eon don't mess about. It's possible Blofeld is back, but being played by another actor. Waltz says they have a tradition to change the "villain?" - well they do have a tradition of re-casting Blofeld from film to film. That might explain why he seems vaguely pissed off he's not back. Just a theory.
    This is definitely a possibility.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    latest?cb=20131018082450

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BREAKING: Christoph Waltz says he's not returning https://www.facebook.com/talkymovie/videos/490859154629767/
    YESSSS! NO Blofeld! NO YOLT adaptation! NO direct sequel! I have been telling you for months that Blofeld is very unlikely to return, but you were not listening!

This is seriously excellent news!
    I’ve got to hand it to you, @PanchitoPistoles. You were right about this. I owe you a pint.
    My compliments as well. Good call. I can't say I'm disappointed. I wonder if we are in for more surprises down the pipeline as well.
    although I too am happy, for the above-stated reasons, I still find this highly odd that the DC era will now have four films that are supposedly connected, one, his send-off, as some stand alone... Doesn't seem to be following the pattern they've established.

So, @bondjames , I've got to assume that we are in for more surprises.
    @peter, the best news for me will be no Seydoux.

We should keep a look out for the schedules of Scooby. That will be the real tell tale in terms of where they're headed.
    oh, certainly, please! No Blofeld, NO MADDY, please...!!
    Where's Quantum? I'm waiting for a scoop here.
    ha!
    Come on no one can give any credit to Christopher Waltz since he said he will not be Blofeld in Spectre...
    Come on no one can give any credit to Christopher Waltz since he said he will not be Blofeld in Spectre...
    Back then it seemed obvious he was lying, and it seems obvious he is telling the truth this time.
    Well, the good news about this revelation is EON appear to have paid attention to the market. The most telling comment was from P&W earlier in the year, namely that SP finished off a certain way of doing Bond. I'm now intrigued and interested again.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well, the good news about this revelation is EON appear to have paid attention to the market. The most telling comment was from P&W earlier in the year, namely that SP finished off a certain way of doing Bond. I'm now intrigued and interested again.

It seems to back up about P&W comments on "no more personal drama" stuff.
    royale65 wrote: »

Indeed. This is looking up all of a sudden.
    The only alternative to this being the absolute truth is: perhaps the producers really are being cagey with everyone outside of DC?

Harris, Rory, they're not sure if they're coming back for this film.

And now Blofeld/Waltz.

Perhaps the assumption is that, since he knows EoN is gearing up for the next one, Waltz genuinely assumed his services weren't needed?

I would have thought that the producers would have signed him with an option to be in a sequel.

I hope, of course, that this is, once again, silly conjecture on my part, but I could see Babs firing a script off to Waltz in the coming weeks/months showing that Blofeld is still, very much, operational.

In the case of the interview, I do believe Waltz. But I wonder if he's answering out of ignorance of the actual situation back at EoN HQ, or did he receive an absolute sign from them that they were moving on without him?

All in all, I am of the hope that his Blofeld is rotting away in prison, off camera, never to be seen or mentioned again.
    royale65 wrote: »

I still can't seem to find the source for this.

(Is this like the “I’m just playing Oberhauser” thing…?)

I feel its something similar to this.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe JK ROFLing
    YESSSS! NO Blofeld! NO YOLT adaptation! NO direct sequel! I have been telling you for months that Blofeld is very unlikely to return, but you were not listening!

This is seriously excellent news!

Today is the day you get to say "I told you so"...
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,601
    If what Waltz is saying is true it doesn't mean Blofeld wont be back. Lets not forget Blofeld was never played by the same actor twice (not counting Anthony Dawson). Also in the novels Blofeld always changed his appearance. If they do a true YOLT adaptation than Blofeld would have to be looking different. Hence bring in a new actor.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Funny, some acted like that was confirmed a long while back. I can only hope this means no return for Swann, either and it's not a SP continuation. Would be unexpected, as I had assumed that was the path they were going to take.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Bored into my skull.
    I would have welcomed Waltz back, but am curious about what we get instead.
    I don’t think the changing of Blofeld actors would be something that would fly nowadays.

He’s either back (and Waltz isn’t aware of this since no one has reached out to him yet),or, and the more likely prediction stated some time ago by @PanchitoPistoles (congrats if this all holds together!),is that Blofeld’s gone.

Maybe, as @bondjames was thinking, the next film will be many years after the last film?...

The problem is that the writers better give us a great villain, the best Bond has ever seen, since, no matter how much we didn’t buy it, they went to great pains telling us that Ernst was the author of all of Bond’s pain— which would imply (although they failed wholly in execution), that Blofeld was Bond’s greatest adversary.

So this new villain better put those words to bed permanently, and be the true super-villain that Bond’s ever faced...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Bored into my skull.
    Gary Oldman
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I really don't buy it since the ending of spectre clearly sets up christoph waltz to return as blofeld I think he really is pulling off a I'm not playing blofeld act again
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I really don't buy it since the ending of spectre clearly sets up christoph waltz to return as blofeld I think he really is pulling off a I'm not playing blofeld act again

If he is, then it better be for the time being. If they're really trying to pull off another 'he's not Blofeld' twist, I'll have to chuckle.
    @Thunderfinger -- yes!!
    First rule of the spying game? Trust no one! Lol! I will wait for the press conference? Maybe even the movie! Lol!