What Types of Music/Songs/Artists Would Bond Listen To?

Comments

Wasn't Bond's favourite song in the novels Georgia on my Mind? Somehow I don't think his tastes would be too modern, even for a contemporary Bond. Above posters mentioned jazz and classical and I agree. Nothing beyond the 50s-60s IMO. In GF we know he thinks little of the Beatles and I doubt he would enjoy what they did afterwards either, so I don't think he'd like even Paul McCartney's LALD.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:
    Wasn't Bond's favourite song in the novels Georgia on my Mind? Somehow I don't think his tastes would be too modern, even for a contemporary Bond. Above posters mentioned jazz and classical and I agree. Nothing beyond the 50s-60s IMO. In GF we know he thinks little of the Beatles and I doubt he would enjoy what they did afterwards either, so I don't think he'd like even Paul McCartney's LALD.
    I have a feeling that Bond would find The Beatles (in their later years) to be disgustingly arty and pretentious.
  • Are we talking about a Bond born in the 20s?
    Ludovico wrote:
    I have a feeling that Bond would find The Beatles (in their later years) to be disgustingly arty and pretentious.

Probably. I think people here make a lot of projections when they talk about Bond's musical tastes.
    Are we talking about a Bond born in the 20s?

Not necessarily. One can be born twenty years ago and think very little of contemporary music.
  • In Dr No Fleming he admits to be a reggae fan. Says he owns a reggae record at his comfortable Chelsea flat "Marion" .

"Matron
    Sitting by de seaside siftin sand
    De hair on her head could tie a goat."

This what he sings to Honney. In the film he knows the lyric to Under De Mangew Tree so it seems that yep Bond has a positive frame of mind and liked some fun reggae!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think for Bond to be in keeping with the Fleming original he shouldn't really even know what an iPod is!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I think for Bond to be in keeping with the Fleming original he shouldn't really even know what an iPod is!

I'll change the thread title if this has been so confusing. If it is Fleming's Bond, then think what records he would have, and for more recent Bonds like Craig's what he would have on an electronic device. Simply what any incarnation of the character would like to listen to.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    No doubt, Dalton's Bond would've borrowed Q's ghetto blaster so he could crank The Pretenders. Barry Manilow? Er, perhaps some other time, Moneypenny.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 157
    Ludovico wrote:
    Not necessarily. One can be born twenty years ago and think very little of contemporary music.

But Craig's Bond was born in '68. I doubt he grew up listening to big band jazz.

Maybe Scott Walker, Tom Waits and Nic Cave. Perhaps even EDM. He would have been 20 in the Summer of E - the perfect age for that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Like everyone else here, I will claim Bond has similar taste in music as me.
    Seriously though, he would probably be into music from the 1940s, considering his age. Fleming had him born ca 1917, later changed to ca 1924.
    Ludovico wrote:

But Craig's Bond was born in '68. I doubt he grew up listening to big band jazz.

Maybe Scott Walker, Tom Waits and Nic Cave. Perhaps even EDM. He would have been 20 in the Summer of E - the perfect age for that.

The generation you belong to is just one thing. The environment he grew up in, his family and upbringing matter too.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,805
    Dragonpol wrote:

I'll change the thread title if this has been so confusing. If it is Fleming's Bond, then think what records he would have, and for more recent Bonds like Craig's what he would have on an electronic device. Simply what any incarnation of the character would like to listen to.

Oh, I see. Now I get it!
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

The generation you belong to is just one thing. The environment he grew up in, his family and upbringing matter too.

The strange thing about the rave scene is that it brought together clubbers from all walks of life, and all social demographic groups. I have hard to time believing Craig's Bond didn't at least dally in that lifestyle, even if he grew to quickly dislike it. All teenagers and young adults experiment, in some form or other.
    I personally think James Bond was a jazz fan from the evidence in the novels and films.
  • If you read the book operation seafire from John Gardner you will read that Bond is a great jazz fan.... But ofcourse it is not a Fleming book.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Sean: Anything but the Beatles. Prefers Gangsta Rap.
    George: Sad Australian songs about losing a loved one. And drinking songs.
    Roger: Tchaikovsky, Grace Jones, Disco while skiing, Space Rock
    Timothy: Opera, Musicals, Classical Cello, New Wave
    Pierce: Abba, Madonna
    Daniel: Grunge Rock
    It depends, as stated: for example, on TLD, Bond seems to like hard rock and heavy metal, while, as far as I know, in the novel version of LTK he's pictured as a classic jazz fan (not contradictory at all: one can love metal and jazz at the same time).

In the novel of LALD, Leiter loves jazz, and tries to get Bond into his love for the likes of "Sir Duke" Ellington, Billy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald or Charlie Parker.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2017 Posts: 4,442
    Songs and sometimes the videoclip it self too, who i think fit James Bond from Daniel Craig era.

01. Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror
    02. Judi Dench - Send in the Clowns
    03. ABBA-Mamma Mia
    04. ABBA - Money Money Money (The bills i have to pay..)
    05. Laura Zocca - Black & White
    06. Racoon - Freedom
    07. Leonard Cohen - Dench Dance Me To The End Of Love
    08. Leonard Cohen - My Secret Life
    09. Rob D - Speed Me Towards Death
    10. Amanda Abizaid - A Place In Time
    11. Shirley Bassey - Living Tree
    12. Duffy - Rain On Your Parade
    13. Shirley Bassey - No Good About Goodbye
    14. David Arnold - Looking For Clues
    15. Paloma Faith - Upside Down
    16. Paloma Faith - Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?
    17. Robert Palmer - Know By Now
    18. Andreas Johnson. Lissen to The games we play
    19. Escape The Fate - Lost In Darkness & Prepare Your Weapon
    20. Fort Minor - Believe Me
    21. Jhene Aiko - Mirrors
    22. The lone bellow - Bleeding out
    23. Nonono - Pumpin Blood (It's A Lie)
    24. The Script - No Good in Goodbye
    25. Smashing pumpkins - The end is the beginning is the end
    26. Alan Walker - Faded
    27. Editors - All The Kings
    28. Alan Walker - Sing Me To Sleap
    29. Stephen Swartz - Bullet Train (ft. Joni Fatora)
    30. Stephen - Crossfire Pt. II (ft. Talib Kweli & KillaGraham)
    31. Kensington - War
    32. Blue Rising - Dust
    33. Naughty Boy ft. Beyoncé, Arrow Benjamin - Runnin' (Lose It All)
    34. The Lion King - Be prepared
    35. Katy Perry - Rise
    35. Brandy Clark - Girl Next Door
    37. RONDÉ - Why Do You Care
    38. Christina Perri - Human
    39. Britney Spears - Criminal (Mamma i am in love with a criminal)
    40. TheFatRat - Time Lapse

Playlist:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=F9Nh84lfvW0&list=PLIJ67xtUCHXgLJW46PtdBMzIg0iiGnlnr
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Bond would listen to bossa nova.
    Bond would listen to long playlists of white noise on the radio.
    In DAF, Tiffany plays an album by George Feyer, which Bond loves and plans to buy, but he skips the track La Vie en Rose, because it stirs old memories.
  • You have to go by Bond-

Connery- Old school pop and some jazz. The sort of stuff that were the actual Bond themes from that time. He also seemed to have an affinity for Caribbean culture and even put on some island music in DN. I could see him listening to a little ska or reggae in his downtime. He obviously wasn't keen on the rock trend with his comment on The Beatles in Goldfinger.

Moore-Probably pretty similar to Connery (they are about the same age after all), but he seems more like a "go with the flow" type guy, so he'd be a bit more open minded about rock music. It's also easy to see TSWLM era Rodge donning a leisure suit and hitting the disco, but he may just be there to socialize and meet women rather than out of affinity for the music.

Dalton- Soulful rock music and mature synthpop (i.e Depeche Mode)

Brosnan- Probably just general MOR "adult contemporary" pop from that era, with maybe a little classic rock/Britpop

Craig- Alt rock, blues/soul, and maybe a little top 40.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,442
    6 more in the meantime:

41. Jarryd James - Do You Remember
    42. Sabrina Carpenter - Run and Hide
    43. Emma Bale - Worth It
    44.Volbeat & Danko Jones - Black Rose
    45. Selena Gomez - Kill Em With Kindness
    46. Beyoncé - I Was Here
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    NicNac wrote: »
    Connery/Bond would listen to Bethoven
    Lazenby/Bond would listen to The Doors
    Moore/Bond would listen to Ella Fitzgerald
    Dalton/Bond would listen to Tchaikovsky
    Brosnan/Bond would listen to The Bog Men
    Criag/Bond would listen to Joni Mitchell

great post
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    M_Balje wrote: »
    6 more in the meantime:

41. Jarryd James - Do You Remember
    42. Sabrina Carpenter - Run and Hide
    43. Emma Bale - Worth It
    44.Volbeat & Danko Jones - Black Rose
    45. Selena Gomez - Kill Em With Kindness
    46. Beyoncé - I Was Here

Which James Bond would listen to Selena Gomez and Beyoncé???
    Still think James Bond would have very conservative tastes in music. Old rock, jazz and classical. I am not sure he would like many (if any) of the Bond songs, come to think of it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Ludovico is actually right. Back when a friend of mine and I were about to interview Ed Lima, one of the three composers of Nightfire, the 2002 Bond video game that is, he revealed that he was given a sheet of “dos and donts” by Danjaq (in his own words) about Bond music and what sort of music Bond would himself listen to. Jazz and blues were listed as his muses, but nothing outside of them, and they were highlighted even. So, yes, Bond’s taste in music is conservative, and it makes me glad as those genres are mostly the ones I resort to when it comes to music.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Ludovico is actually right. Back when a friend of mine and I were about to interview Ed Lima, one of the three composers of Nightfire, the 2002 Bond video game that is, he revealed that he was given a sheet of “dos and donts” by Danjaq (in his own words) about Bond music and what sort of music Bond would himself listen to. Jazz and blues were listed as his muses, but nothing outside of them, and they were highlighted even. So, yes, Bond’s taste in music is conservative, and it makes me glad as those genres are mostly the ones I resort to when it comes to music.

Did he say anything more about those "dos and don'ts" regarding Bond music, especially in terms of the underscore they were to compose?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,281

Imagining Bond's record collection now - all on vinyl, of course (to be played on a high-end record player - possibly vintage even): full of rare limited pressings, and perhaps bootlegs he's gathered on his many adventures abroad! :))

Edit: Perhaps he would play his music on something like a Thorens TD 124? (image found on Instagram)