CharlieHebdo

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    chrisisall wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    Let's revisit the salient facts.

the guys with guns that are mowing down the citizenry with military precision.
    Ummm, let's weigh those salient facts-

'Mowing down'? Please. More people are killed in car accidents each year than are killed by terrorist attacks. NO, that doesn't mean we ignore it (I saw that strawman coming), it means we consider a reasonable course of action to punish the evil doers and possibly prevent future nut-bursts. Neo-Con dogma dictates alarmism. And a war is exactly what these hobby-less misanthropes want. You want to hand it to them? Their ultimate goal is for us to overextend ourselves & crumble from within. Guess what? It's been working so far. Unfortunately, making enemies is both more interesting & profitable (for a select few) than making friends.

Exactly right @chrisisall. One has to have a proportionate response, not play into either the shooter's or the miltary industrial complex's desire for wars or an overreactionary response. I agree. Otherwise, we ultimately lose freedoms (and economic properity) which is what they want, and they will have won.

Ultimately IMO, people over there need economic opportunity. They need to have hope that their families' lives will improve economically. If they are given that hope, and it is sustained, then these cancerous groups that have hijacked Islam will self-destruct from within, because no one will need them & their crazy ideology any more. They will then start to lose recruitment, not gain it, as they are doing now. It's telling that we don't see this problem in relatively prosperous and democratic Asian muslim countries like Indonesia (with the largest muslim population) or Malaysia. This Islamist problem is germane to the Middle East & to a lesser degree, Pakistan & Afghanistan. One has to understand why.

I believe it's due to a lack of opportunity in these particular countries and leadership by despotic regimes who have been funded and propped up for self-serving geopolitical reasons. That is the root cause for why groups like ISIL can exist and why radical Islam can take hold. This has to change, but it has to change from within. It's going to be a wrenching process and it's just begun in the form of the Arab spring which some say is stillborn, but which I think is just taking a breather. Like what happened to Eastern Europe post-Soviet Union, this is not going to happen overnight. It will get a lot worse (for all of us) before it gets better.......but at least the likely multi-decade adjustment process has begun. This is phase 2. The ugly phase.

Sadly, IMO, our western economies, increasingly funded by and benefiting the select few, may actually be perpetuating the problem rather than letting it solve itself over there. There's no doubt that many would prefer the status quo because they are enriching themselves from it, via all kinds of self serving contracts & relationships.

@timmer, has there been any direct evidential link between the Canadian shooter (Bibeau) and ISIL? Some circumstantial links exist, but nothing concrete as far as I know.

@Getafix, I too think that the US/Canada may be different from Europe regarding the influence of religion. @patb is correct that the influence of religion is declining in Europe. However, I'm not sure if there is evidence to suggest that is the case in US/Canada. Keep in mind though that many of the new immigrants to US/Canada are quite religious, so that may skew things.

@Kerim you are correct in that many have died in the name of religion. Sadly, religions are hijacked throughout history and used as an instrument to fulfil some zenophobic or megalomaniacal ambition, as is the case now in the Middle East. It's an easy target.

That's why I'm a believer in logic and common sense above all else . I too, am agnostic.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's why I'm a believer in logic and common sense above all else .
    A combo of Kirk & Spock then... may I assume that Star Trek VI is a favourite of yours, as it is of mine?

Yikes! @timmer might be offended here!
    :-??
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Yes, the war memorial soldier killer in Ottawa was acting in the name of Allah, that's 100% established, as was the hit-and-run soldier-killer in Quebec.

Maybe the Star Trek brigade could zap the Islamists with their phasers...and not on stun setting. :))

I'm just glancing through my History of the World, going back to Neanderthal times.
    I see man has always been at war. Just never seems to end.
    Hmmmm, seems man might have a depraved nature, ipso facto.
    So much for the utopia.
    Just have to man the barricades. Barbarians at the gate and all.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited January 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Getafix wrote: »
    I am conflicted as I like a lot of things about religion. The architectural, artistic, musical, moral and intellectual inheritance that Christianity has given us is mind-blowingly rich. I like visiting the odd old church. There is something reassuring about the continuity of the church. Despite all the rhetoric about religion causing war, it was atheist secular dictators who killed far more people in the 20th century than any religion.

Yes but these things and religion are not mutually exclusive.
    Especially when it comes to basic humanitarian values, you should not need a 'sect' (all religions are a sect, whether they are branded one or not) to keep your moral compass in line - treating people well, not stealing & helping those less fortunate are 1st and foremost human values, not religious ones.

If you want to be a part of society & the human race in general, there are basic principles that you have to adhere to. You shouldn't need a list of commandments or what not to guide you.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    Let's revisit the salient facts.

the guys with guns that are mowing down the citizenry with military precision.
    Ummm, let's weigh those salient facts-

'Mowing down'? Please. More people are killed in car accidents each year than are killed by terrorist attacks. NO, that doesn't mean we ignore it (I saw that strawman coming), it means we consider a reasonable course of action to punish the evil doers and possibly prevent future nut-bursts. Neo-Con dogma dictates alarmism. And a war is exactly what these hobby-less misanthropes want. You want to hand it to them? Their ultimate goal is for us to overextend ourselves & crumble from within. Guess what? It's been working so far. Unfortunately, making enemies is both more interesting & profitable (for a select few) than making friends.

Well said! Falling into the trap of saying we're 'at war' with them and overreacting to every terror attack is exactly what they want.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I agree that there is something reassuring about the church, no doubt. During moments of crisis (personal and communal) religious leaders and teachings can help to heal and calm.

However, the problem for many becomes where to draw the line. Ultimately, if you are religious, then reconciling the teachings about the beginning of the world etc. with what science proves via cold hard facts can be increasingly difficult. As time progresses and science continues to give us answers, many of the narratives and stories that organized religion provides fall apart.

From my perspective, only a deep personal faith can be tenable in the face of ever increasing knowledge by the human species. Religious dogma (no matter from what religion) is not tenable in the long run.

The collective knowledge of humankind is true enlightenment as far as I'm concerned. We just have to know where to find that knowledge, when to use it and how to use it. Whatever problem/challenge we face, someone, somewhere, has faced it before.

Easier said than done.
    All very true. The only thing I'd bear in mind is that more people have been killed in the name of secular ideologies - communism, fascism - than religion. In the absence of religion where does the collective moral compass come from? Without religion, many cultures have tended towards murderous barbarism - Hitler, Stalin, Mao.
    To be clear on one thing, Hitler was a Christian. read Mein Kampf. And Communism might even be seen as a religion. It's not like the communists would accept any other explenation then theirs.

Ludovico wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    And what does Western imperialism have to do with some French cartoonists' murders, whose only crime was to have poked fun and ridiculed a religion? They were hilarious doing so, by the way.

If you imagine that these jihadist nutters were acting solely in response to the cartoons, then I think you're wrong. There is a whole context of grievance (real and imagined) which feeds the jihadist mind-set. People don't become skilled terrorist hitmen solely in response to cartoons. The jihadist camps where these men will have been trained are not set up solely to take out French satirical cartoonists.

All I'm saying is that this attack needs to be seen in a wider context, and that context, I would argue, includes a history of profoundly destructive Western meddling and intervention in Arab and Muslim countries, particularly in the Middle East.

That may be so but there is no excuse for the murders and in the end, it is an attack on free speech. They were killed because they laughed at God, or a specific faith, their murderers acted out of religious devotion.

Well, I expect the specific reason the attackers would give will be that the magazine had shown depictions of Mohammad, which is forbidden under Islamic law. I doubt it's the satire or poking fun in itself that forms the justification in their minds. Of course it's insane, but I think that's where they'll have been coming from.

I have personally always been rather uncertain as to the rights and wrongs of the Mohammad cartoons. While on the one hand, I absolutely support the principle of free speech, I have also found there to be something slightly juvenile and distasteful about the peristance in publishing these specifically Muslim-baiting cartoons. It seems to have been a perculiarly French and Dutch obsession. There are, in my view, cleverer and less offensive ways to poke fun at Islam. The Mohammad cartoons seem almost designed to cause offence (which I think was part of Charlie Hebdo's raison d'etre). It forms part of that particularly French tradition of virulent anti-clericalism and almost fundamentalist secularism, in which every religious symbol must be undermined and ridiculed. It's not a tradition that I find particularly sympathetic, but I understand its origins and certainly don't think it justifies this kind of attack in any way.

The cartoon thing though, which has been running for a while, does seem to have provoked a cycle of rather pointless retaliation. Not sure really what was achieved by their publication. There are I think more important ways and places in which defend free speech than through publication of cartoons which (probably not uncoincidentally) also happen to offend large numbers of ordinary Muslims.

I'm in danger of conflating a number of complex issues here, and please don't take this as in any way a justification for what's happened in Paris. My thoughts on the cartoons predate yesterday's horrific attack, which is clearly an act of utterly unjustifiable psychotic savagery.

I am not through with all the posts, but by and large, everything Getafix says pretty much agrees with my stand on things. Revenge and doing what we have done for centuries is not going to change anything. When will we learn?
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,602
    Where and when did the idea that people have the right to live a life free of offence come from? I am regularly offended by much of what I hear and see as are many others, but I realise that that is the price we pay in order to live in a relatively open and free society. No set of ideas should be free from scrutiny and satire. If you live in a multicultural society, then there will be people from other cultures who do not share you ideas and views. I find the policies of the BNP offensive. Do I gt myself a shotgun and go down to their offices? No, of course not. We have to be vary careful not to create an environment where the people who cause offence are seen as the bad guys. It is the inabililty of certain sections of the Muslim community to accept offence in the same way that 99% of people deal with it that is the issue.
    And CH was not a far right racist magazine. It was left leaning, openly anti Front National and anticlerical. They were mocking everyone. As it was their right and I may add their duty.
    CH was indeed a satirical magazine and while I did not always agreed with their conclusions and drawings I did support their position that anybody should be able to say anything as long as it is clear in which context it takes place. Which makes it understandable for anybody involved, which is different than agreeing with certain sentiments/ideas/views/beliefs.

But in our society there is a place for such freedom, and for that I am grateful.
    patb wrote: »
    Where and when did the idea that people have the right to live a life free of offence come from? I am regularly offended by much of what I hear and see as are many others, but I realise that that is the price we pay in order to live in a relatively open and free society. No set of ideas should be free from scrutiny and satire. If you live in a multicultural society, then there will be people from other cultures who do not share you ideas and views. I find the policies of the BNP offensive. Do I gt myself a shotgun and go down to their offices? No, of course not. We have to be vary careful not to create an environment where the people who cause offence are seen as the bad guys. It is the inabililty of certain sections of the Muslim community to accept offence in the same way that 99% of people deal with it that is the issue.

You're right of course in a pure sense. But at the same time a civilised society is also one in which most people don't go out of their way to cause offence - freedom comes with responsibilites and society is governed by certain unwritten codes of conduct. But on a purely philosophical level I complete support what you're saying.
    Not sure if you are aware of Spitting Image? Think of how insulting those puppets were, watched by millions and fondly remembered in the UK, were the producers of that irresponsible?
    The people who were offended had the right to be. But not to order others to be offended. Or to make the offend a crime. Charlie Hebdo mocked the pope, the whole Catholic Church, in no more crude ways than they.mocked Muhammad. In both instances, it was fair criticism, however tasteless the joke.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Well, it's a bit weird, 'but it's the Internet', to read so much here about Charlie Hedo from some people who have never read it (I was a subscriber for 15+ years) and who have really a false opinion of what it is. IIRC, they always won the few trials they had. No one would describe it as a hate speech magazine. Hate speech can be sued here, and many had to face the consequences of what they wrote and say in other media.

Also, I saw many errors about the facts themselves, etc. (In particular no terrorist turned himself to the police, it was "just" a suspect who has been cleared since then it seems).

But you're all so far away : I live 600m from Charlie Hebdo, I ride my bike probably several times each month where the policeman was killed, I see policemen with rifles in the street since a few days and well right now I hear sirens everywhere since one of the two current hostage crisis is happening at the East of Paris, 3 km from here (already 2 deaths according to first reports - officials say it's wrong).

But does it feel that Parisians are living under fear ? Not at all. In everyday life, police is not liked much here, like everywhere else I guess, but on the other hand Elite police is trusted a lot.
    I never thought they promoted hate speech, in fact I find their work most admirable.
    While I agree completely with the concept of free speech (I've been a proponent of it on this very site, defending the rights of people to debate the Sony leaked material on their specific thread, and have taken flack for it), I take some issue with Charlie Hedo as follows:

One has to consider context. Religion does matter to a lot of people (I'm not saying that's right or wrong). A lot of people's identity is wrapped up in their religious beliefs (again I'm not saying that's right or wrong).

The peaceful muslim community (not the shooters) are likely to be particularly sensitive and up in arms (more so than others) over the past 14 years, as their religion has been dragged through the mud post-2001 by those who do not understand it, and also by those who kill in its name. Just as some people in New York made a big fuss a few years ago when someone wanted to build a mosque near the World Trade Centre site. There was as big up in arms over it, and I personally could not understand why. None of the people who were intending to use that Islamic Centre were on the attack planes......people can be quite illogical at times and particularly sensitive where religion is concerned.

Therefore, I think people should be a little careful when attempting to satirize that particular issue. While it's not illegal, it's just common sense, because the party being satirized is particularly sensitive and more likely to over react. All the countries the west is at physical war with right now just happen to be muslim (the west is in a financial war with Russia, not a physical one....yet). Furthermore, a large portion of the muslim population in France is not economically prosperous and not properly integrated into society. I believe it's about 5-7% of the population that is muslim in Frrance. As I've said before, it is those who are less economically secure who cling to religious beliefs more strongly. That itself increases the probablity of a sensitive and illogical overreaction by the community to these cartoons in France. Finally, the anti-immigration far right Front National Party run by Marie LePen has been doing quite well in elections in France. So nationalism is growing in France, as it is in many European countries.

All of the above behooved Charlie Hedo to have been more careful. They were fanning the flames at a particularly sensitive time for this religious community.

I believe Marie LePen is going to have a field day over these attacks, but I think she should tread lightly not fan the fames of further mistrust.

Since economic prosperity is the best solution to make people secular, I suggest this is where the government in France focus their efforts to defeat the problem. Easier said than done with the current European economic malaise however.
    But what do you know about Charlie Hebdo ? Or are you talking about the other media which keep on choosing only the images related to Islam they published, which was only a very little minority of the lot ? Should these other media bear a responsability then, by describing Charlie Hebdo as a reckless magazine ? And well, what do you know about how religion is perceived in France (I think it has a lower image than you think).

I notice also you keep on saying the solution should be economical (and yet no target represent "the rich French", far from it !), but on the other hand you write that muslims are particularly sensitive.. This is IMO saying that "I'm not racist, but frankly, they're not like us, so be careful", and adding that "really, really, I'm not racist, I mean they're not like us because they're victims, and we're the real culprits".

Well, your religion may tell you you live with your sins, but here we don't care much about Christianity either. IIRC only 1/3rd of French believe in some God. IMO Here it's the one who pulls the trigger who is the culprit. Don't forget the mere fact of having a weapon here means a lot. You can't buy them easily.

mankoff.png

PS : I warn you that if you say I'm wrong, then, according to my religion, I will go to Hell. So please answer responsibly and agree with everything I say.
    Maybe I'm being misunderstood. I'm not agreeing with the terrorists at all. I'm saying that there are reasons why these attackers, and people like them, will be able to fester and thrive - and those reasons must be eliminated. The problems are societal and economic. In the meanwhile, because there are societal problems, it is best not to instigate because religious people could be overly sensitive (not the attackers, I could care less about them... but those who may sympathize with them).

I believe solving the muslim social problem (in terms of integrating them into society and improving their economic worth) in European countries is critical to preventing long term ills. Just like solving the African American economic problem in America is critical to its long term ills.

The societal issues that are occuring in Europe now are not endemic to being muslim, just as the societal issues occuring in the US (witness some of the recent riots) are not endemic to being black. These issues can be solved. It requires an economic solution. Easier said than done though as the problem has occured over years.

My point is if there was less economic disparity between certain groups, then there will be less place for bad people to hide. They will be less people who sympathize with them, and their ilk will be less likely to thrive and infest society.

I think that's obvious. The problem is how to solve the economic disparity.

We are going to see more problems between old and young soon too, mark my words, with all the differences in wealth and opportunity between the haves and have nots depending on age. Intergenerational conflict will also increase.
    The problems are societal and economic.

Amen.

If you fear to look racist, they have won. And yet you keep on pointing out muslims as one of the "certain groups" if one reads between the lines IMO.

Only half a dozen of terrorists have successfully attacked France in the last years. If you were right, there should have been tens of thousands of them.

There are "muslims" in the victims. But they were not religious ones... Ah, sorry, I talk about religion again !

PS : Anti-semitism has a lot to do with what's happening IMO. Far more than all the economical stuff, even if the media feeds everyone the notion that everything is linked to economy (I guess some people fear the irrationnal so much that they hope everything can be explained with statistics).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30744693
    1,000 lashes for insulting Islam in Saudi, this is a bigger issue than a cartoon, its about one global religion who consider that their God is untouchable, just imagine that punishment in the UK for someone who criticised christianity
    @Suivez_ce_parachute whil I am not a subscriber in any sense whenever visiting France, mostly Paris I would always try and find a copy of this magazine and with my limited knowledge of French and a dictonary tried to read their stuff. Funny enough I often got assisted by Frenchmen and women who often took the time as well to explain some of the meanings that would only be known to French people. And indeed not always was the reaction of me reading such a magazine that positive, but I remember the people I spoke through reading a copy of CH.
    And I'll cherish the thoughts about that intelligent, beautifull and worldly & wise French student that introduced me to this magazine a long time ago.

I think that as a European and Dutchman I do find the French perhaps the best spokespersons for the freedom of speech mostly due to their society. I sympathise with the French today and tomorrow and yesterday as well perhaps better than with the Anglo Saxon world.

But I also think that this attack on the freedom of thought and press as aimed not just at France but at the whole of Western society. And our response as a whole will be a important choice for the near future. Even Le Pen recognises that attacking a whole religion for that extremism of a few is not going to do any favours for anybody. Religion through our European history has often been the source of bloodbaths, lets hope we have grown up a wee little.
    FYI, here are the victims of the previous shock terrorist attack against France in 2012.

victimes_merah.jpg

As you can see, we have two bankers, one trader, .. Yeah, 'it's the economy, stupid'. Amen.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    ...... I do find the French perhaps the best spokespersons for the freedom of speech mostly due to their society. I sympathise with the French today and tomorrow and yesterday................

Me too. 100%. I appreciate and respect the French attitude to freedom of speech and freedom of expression in all areas, not just speech.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    patb wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30744693
    1,000 lashes for insulting Islam in Saudi, this is a bigger issue than a cartoon, its about one global religion who consider that their God is untouchable, just imagine that punishment in the UK for someone who criticised christianity

Well we did used to do that kind of thing in Europe as well. It is not so long ago that we were as equally deranged as some of the Islamo-nutcases. We need to recognise that the whole world does not think the same way as us, and other cultures change at a different pace. If you want to go and see some modern-day religio-political idiocy, that's a hang over from Europe's past, go and visit Northern Ireland, where Catholics and Protestants still continue to kill each other on a fairly regular basis.

Blasphemy was still a criminal offence in the UK up until the 1970s, I think.

We need to remember that these lunatics do not represent 'all Muslims'. Most Muslims have been either ingnoring the deliberate provocations of the Mohammad cartoons or perhaps aren't that bothered by them. Its just a few headcases, whose grievances are about much more than cartoons any way, who've latched onto the cartoons as a justification for their thurst for murder and mayhem.

We need to recognise that the whole world does not think the same way as us, and other cultures change at a different pace.

Some people here think it has nothing to do with culture. Their own perception grid does not change at the same pace as others :)
    The problems are societal and economic.

Amen.

If you fear to look racist, they have won. And yet you keep on pointing out muslims as one of the "certain groups" if one reads between the lines IMO.

Only half a dozen of terrorists have successfully attacked France in the last years. If you were right, there should have been tens of thousands of them.

There are "muslims" in the victims. But they were not religious ones... Ah, sorry, I talk about religion again !

PS : Anti-semitism has a lot to do with what's happening IMO. Far more than all the economical stuff, even if the media feeds everyone the notion that everything is linked to economy (I guess some people fear the irrationnal so much that they hope everything can be explained with statistics).

No @Suivez_ce_parachute, that is not my point. I am referring to 'muslims' only in the context of our discussion on this thread, which has veered somewhat toward Islam bashing on occasion in some of the posts, which I don't agree with. That is why my comments may appear that way. I am not specifically referring to the French context.
    We need to remember that these lunatics do not represent 'all Muslims'. Most Muslims have been either ingnoring the deliberate provocations of the Mohammad cartoons or perhaps aren't that bothered by them. Its just a few headcases, whose grievances are about much more than cartoons any way, who've latched onto the cartoons as a justification for their thurst for murder and mayhem.

Exactly. Well said.
    That is why my comments may appear that way. I am not specifically referring to the French context.

The problem is that if your economical explanation seems coherent to you at a high level of thinking, but fails to explain anything that actually happens in the street, then it means you end like some psychanalyst : "always right", but stuck in old books and never able to cure anyone.

One of the two current hostage crisis in France (one by the two Charlie terrorists, one by one or two accomplices) is in a kosher shop, FYI.
  • RC7RC7
    Blasphemy was still a criminal offence in the UK up until the 1970s, I think.

1977 was the last case I believe, it was something to do with a story involving Jesus and a Roman centurion. The Christians still get cheesed off - Stewart Lee's 'Jerry Springer: The Opera' was picketed and run into the ground by religious nuts. The following even happened...

In January 2007 Christian Voice, represented by Stephen Green, attempted to prosecute BBC director-general Mark Thompson for blasphemy over the show.
    That is why my comments may appear that way. I am not specifically referring to the French context.

The problem is that if your economical explanation seems coherent to you at a high level of thinking, but fail to explain anything that actually happens in the street, then it means you end like some psychanalyst : "always right", but never able to cure anyone.

True, I am commenting at a macro level. I have no specific knowledge of the French context, and I admit that. The context is of course different everywhere, but the economic disparity will feed the problem even if it is not the cause everywhere too. I truly believe that.
    Well the economy feeds the problem because terrorists are richer and richer. And not poorer and poorer. The opposite of what you seem to say. Here their targets do not represent "the rich" at all : it's the police, the army, Jews, journalists, satirists, etc.. No bankers, no traders, no CEO of some company who won't recruit muslims etc..