James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-dvd-bluray-4k-release-date-special-features?id=04985

Confirmed Extras:

A Global Journey [7m29s]
    Anatomy of a Scene: Matera [11m02s]
    Designing Bond [10m35s]
    Keeping it real: The Action of No Time To Die [5m58s]
    Being James Bond [44m38s]
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-dvd-bluray-4k-release-date-special-features?id=04985

Confirmed Extras:

A Global Journey [7m29s]
    Anatomy of a Scene: Matera [11m02s]
    Designing Bond [10m35s]
    Keeping it real: The Action of No Time To Die [5m58s]
    Being James Bond [44m38s]

That is great. Looking forward to seeing Being James Bond in particular.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Should we all take bets on whether imax scenes will be expanded on the blu ray?
    I highly doubt it. We're gonna get the film in 2.39:1 and that's it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Stamper wrote: »
    I highly doubt it. We're gonna get the film in 2.39:1 and that's it.
    That would be a massive disappointment.
    We didn't get Skyfall in full IMAX (though there are some open matte versions floating in the ether).
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Such releases aren’t common, and I’m
    okay with it. As long as we have the director’s preferred AR, I have no complaints.
    I'm just glad I went to Scotiabank Theatre so many times before Dune took over the IMAX screen. I wouldn't trade those shots of Bond in the boat in Jamaica for anything, especially given that I'll probably never see them that way again.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    So there were actually 3 aspect ratios used in the film? I missed out on IMAX, but there's a question I've had for a while now: what happens to the IMAX film? They shoot it, you go see it in a theater, then they just give you the regular 2.39 version most of the time. It just sits in a room somewhere? Seems so wasteful. They should at LEAST put it on home media, but it seems like most of the time they don't. Sad.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 10,588
    So there were actually 3 aspect ratios used in the film? I missed out on IMAX, but there's a question I've had for a while now: what happens to the IMAX film? They shoot it, you go see it in a theater, then they just give you the regular 2.39 version most of the time. It just sits in a room somewhere? Seems so wasteful. They should at LEAST put it on home media, but it seems like most of the time they don't. Sad.

Agreed, it doesn’t really make any sense and isn’t economically smart. IMAX cameras are very expensive and scarce, so the ability of shooting a film (even partially) on IMAX is an incredible opportunity. It would be completely wild if the ability of watching the full-scale scenes was solely limited to an experience available for 14 days that the majority of the population couldn’t even access. I don’t see how it makes any sense. A few weeks ago I watched The Dark Knight on Blu-ray and the IMAX shots are still incredibly immersive even when viewing it on a TV. I think they would be letting many people down with a decision to keep the film cropped as it would frankly spoil a major part of the film’s lasting artistic impact, veering away from its original glory.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,021
    jake24 wrote: »

Agreed, it doesn’t really make any sense and isn’t economically smart. IMAX cameras are very expensive and scarce, so the ability of shooting a film (even partially) on IMAX is an incredible opportunity. It would be completely wild if the ability of watching the full-scale scenes was solely limited to an experience available for 14 days that the majority of the population couldn’t even access. I don’t see how it makes any sense. A few weeks ago I watched The Dark Knight on Blu-ray and the IMAX shots are still incredibly immersive even when viewing it on a TV. I think they would be letting many people down with a decision to keep the film cropped as it would frankly spoil a major part of the film’s lasting artistic impact, veering away from its original glory.

To be honest you’re not missing much. The standard AR has all the vital info you need. Anything more is just extra picture information. It works great for IMAX theaters because it takes up most of the screen. On TV it’s just not as impressive. And THE DARK KNIGHT looks terrible constantly switching between ARs. Of course, Nolan is a total weirdo with questionable taste.

NTTD isn’t alone. There’s MANY films that do the same thing of never having a full frame release. I actually like that they all don’t do the Nolan thing, keeping IMAX a “you had to be there” experience. I don’t watch GHOST PROTOCOL and shake my head over not being able to see the full IMAX picture of Cruise scaling a building.
    This is all hypothetical isn’t it? There’s no info yet as to whether the film will be cropped or not for the home release.
    “Cropped” may be the wrong term as that carries the connotation of altering someone’s work, like pan-and-scan did for so much of home media up til DVD changed it all.

This is making me think of the situation with Kubrick’s films. Back when 4:3 TVs were still common, Kubrick preferred his films open matted on home media at 1.33 as that would merely give more picture information and not ruin the integrity of his compositions he had originally set for 1.85 in theaters. It would also please most audiences not to see the dreaded black bars on their TVs. Then 16:9 TVs became more common and the studio released his films on the theatrical framing of 1.85. This caused a lot of confusion because some fans thought the studios were “cropping” his 1.33 films but in truth they were just preserving the original theatrical AR, and if Kubrick were alive he’d have likely been happy to see his films framed on HDTVs that way.

Ultimately, the 2.39 frame is THE definitive AR for NTTD and is what most audiences saw anyway. So nobody is really “missing” anything besides extra picture info. But if they do decide to release the PTS in that open format, all power to them.
  • I just hope CJF commentary is included.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I just hope CJF commentary is included.

Me too. The Sam Mendes commentary for Skyfall was very interesting; similarly, I'm sure Fukunaga must have a lot to say about NTTD.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I wish the Best Buy steelbook art was more appealing. I was hoping for the Imax poster.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Ryan wrote: »
    I wish the Best Buy steelbook art was more appealing. I was hoping for the Imax poster.

Couldn't agree more. I want the double helix from the PTS personally (sorry if I sound like a broken record).

257357620_231482105743441_3887420979538835865_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=l-smhVi9YVcAX_ksfQu&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=1c464da59200ec88f0183b5c678382fd&oe=61959E7D
  • RyanRyan Canada

Couldn't agree more. I want the double helix from the PTS personally (sorry if I sound like a broken record).

I don't inherently dislike that shot of Craig in the Aston, but I don't think it works as cover art and the general layout is unappealing. It's a shame, as usually the steelbooks are my go to for unique artwork. I think I might just stick with the standard release this time around.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I don't inherently dislike that shot of Craig in the Aston, but I don't think it works as cover art and the general layout is unappealing. It's a shame, as usually the steelbooks are my go to for unique artwork. I think I might just stick with the standard release this time around.

100%. For me I'll be getting the Steelbook either way to complete my collection, but yes, I'm crossing my fingers for better artwork.
    I hate the art work... I am hoping for a continuation of the previous 4K releases.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Getting mighty tempted by the limited edition that comes with a DB5 replica.
    To be "current", Marvel just released on platforms IMAX enhanced versions of the early phase films, and they look much better and exciting than the regular discs.

So maybe EON will go IMAX due to the marketable and improved sales it can bring on home-video.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,021
    I think that depends on the director’s consent.

A lot of Marvel films had a taller IMAX AR, but not all of them have been released. SHANG CHI can now be seen in its taller AR, but not BLACK WIDOW.

Edit: never mind, looks like they changed the AR for BLACK WIDOW for the IMAX ratio. Seems this is a brand new development. Because when I saw it last it was only in its theatrical AR.

Perhaps when the Amazon/MGM deal is finalized they’ll do something similar for SF and NTTD as an exclusive to Prime?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    Probably yes. I looked at Iron Man, and not only it is a superior film to many of the Marvels that came later, it also look very good with the enhanced scenes.

So it would make sense that as a bonus, they release an IMAX enhanced version only on stream providers.

EDIT: it seems that "The Russo Brothers wanted to people to experience IMAX at home, but IMAX said no. And they have the last say since they have the licensing over their cameras and aspect ratio. The reason why they are saying yes is probably IMAX is getting a crap ton of money out of this deal from Disney. Plus, it's exclusive and I don't think IMAX likes everyone to enjoy their aspect ratios without it being exclusive!"

So it looks like the Marvel stuff happened due to money. It's not down to artist preference, but down to contractual stipulations then.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am totally lost if the documentary "Being James Bond" (the Joe Darlington documentary - LOL) will be part of the 4K collector's version or not ?! It was listed as one of the extras before but now it's not anymore ?! I looked for the german edition and the UK one - am I mistaken?
    The Being James Bond doc is exclusive to the 4K edition.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Thanks! It isn't listed on Amazon so I was confused.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    It'll be nice to have a hard copy of that documentary as I rather enjoyed it. I still don't own a copy of the Everything Or Nothing documentary because I don't have a region free player.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's a shame it's a 4K exclusive, though that doesn't affect me. Seems odd not to include it in all copies, considering how great and universal it is for fans. I can't wait to rewatch it.
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    Sorry if this has been asked before on this thread

Does anyone have an opinion on the 4k versions of the older movies available on Apple? Are they in anyway an improvement on the Blu rays? Were they all mastered into 4K just for Apple? That would seem extraordinary if they were. And do they have any HDR ..:?
    If the pre-Craig movies do get released on 4k disc, I’m guessing they’ll all have a new bespoke mastering, with all the bells and whistles - Dolby Vision, Atmos etc