James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For you GF fans, the 'Goldfinger' steelbook is up for pre-order. Seems to be only for European markets, though, as it's Region B locked, unless you're a Region A or C user who would shell out the money for the steelbook alone:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Goldfinger-Blu-ray/106110/
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Take my money.
    Take my money.

It looks good, but I'm not spending more than $42 for any blu-ray case, especially GF.
    Hmmm, I think I am willing since I'm a GF fan...I can't resist the DBV artwork inside the case!
  • I do have a question about these Region B (A, C Untested) reviews on Blu-Ray.com

Does it generally mean that whenever the disc appears in the US or European form, it will be the same quality as the one reviewed on the website? EG the review of Vertigo is only for the US Region Blu Ray, does that mean that the UK Blu Ray of Vertigo will be basically the same to look at, or do Blu Rays for other regions undergo a wholly different process?
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 5,767
    I do have a question about these Region B (A, C Untested) reviews on Blu-Ray.com

Does it generally mean that whenever the disc appears in the US or European form, it will be the same quality as the one reviewed on the website? EG the review of Vertigo is only for the US Region Blu Ray, does that mean that the UK Blu Ray of Vertigo will be basically the same to look at, or do Blu Rays for other regions undergo a wholly different process?
    I´m not a professional in that field, but I would assume that if a film comes out in the same version at the same time in different regions, you get the same film in the same quality.

Cuts can be a different thing. Terminator for instance wasn´t available uncut in Germany until a few years ago. Mad Max is still not available uncut in a German version, but I think the uncut English version I own is region-free.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Just a random example of a recent movie, when '300: Rise Of An Empire' released everywhere, whether it's Region A, B, or C, it's going to be of the same quality. However, other films that may be released years apart could have a different quality to them. Best example for me (because I spent so much time looking into it) was 'Hellraiser 3.' You can't buy it in the States, but there were Austrian, Australian, Japanese, etc. versions of it, and some had higher audio/video quality than the others, and some were even different cuts, so it's always best to go to blu-ray.com, search a film via worldwide, and then make sure it's all the same. If not, you can always purchase outside your country if it's the same region, like I did with 'Hellraiser 3.'
    Right, I'm considering purchasing the Bond 50 BR on Amazon for £90. Is it worth it? As I say, I'm new to Bond on BR, as I haven't had something that can play BRs for a while.
    Right, I'm considering purchasing the Bond 50 BR on Amazon for £90. Is it worth it? As I say, I'm new to Bond on BR, as I haven't had something that can play BRs for a while.

You CAN get them separately, but it may cost you more, it just depends on where you look. You can compact them and get them all at once with that set, or you can get them all separately (for the different 50th Anniversary covers, though most are generic and uninspired) if you pick and choose for a nice price, maybe even cheaper if you get them via cheap eBay bids or Amazon purchases.

Either way, you're a big Bond fan like the rest of us, so you might as well get it. Personally, I went with the separate BR's myself. Not a huge fan of massive boxsets like that, and I already owned five or six of them on blu-ray.
    Thank you, @Birdleson and @Creasy.

Looking on Amazon, you can tick a box when purchasing it that says that this product is eligible for a free gift. Is this gift the Bond poster cards?

Yes, I must concur that the covers for separate BRs do look very airbrushed and dull.
    @MayDayDiVicenzo, you're quite welcome. I would guess that's what the free gift is.

I got really pumped when GE was finally getting a release date on blu-ray, and I noticed that three stores (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target) were getting the separate blu-ray releases of certain Bond films exclusively, so when I pre-ordered GE at Wal-Mart, I pre-ordered the other two. Went into WM and they had a bunch out already - which I wasn't even prepped for - so I bought them all and just went from there. Figured the set definitely wasn't worth it at the time for $200 or whatever it started at.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MayDayDiVicenzo, you're quite welcome. I would guess that's what the free gift is.

I got really pumped when GE was finally getting a release date on blu-ray, and I noticed that three stores (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target) were getting the separate blu-ray releases of certain Bond films exclusively, so when I pre-ordered GE at Wal-Mart, I pre-ordered the other two. Went into WM and they had a bunch out already - which I wasn't even prepped for - so I bought them all and just went from there. Figured the set definitely wasn't worth it at the time for $200 or whatever it started at.

Yes, the initial price for the set was a bit steep. But I think it's the right time for me now to purchase it as it's only 4 pence for each disk!

Oh, I'm so excited for it! Can't wait to watch DN, FRWL and my favourites in BR!
    As soon as DN starts, you already notice a beautiful quality difference on BR, and what's amazing about a proper straight through marathon over a week or two is that the visuals just get better and better as the years go on. CR just lights up and crackles on blu-ray, all of the colors really stand out. You can feel Craig's blue eyes piercing the women's bodies.
    Birdleson wrote:
    That set is one of my most cherished possessions. I've probably gone through each film at least seventimes since getting it. I've also given several as gifts. Those first few look so wonderful, somewhere on one of the extras the process is explained, and it all makes sense. These have not been digitally altered in any way. The original negatives were scanned by instruments that pick up information that was always there, but could not have been perceived, transferred and projected by the equipment of the '60s. You are getting a cleaner and more accurate image than audiences who saw first prints in 1962. Be sure to get the newer set, which includes the SKYFALL disk. Too bad that the makers of this set were too lazy and/or cheap to standardize the look and information on the Craig disc star-up menus, to co-inside with the care put into the rest of the films. The appearance of ads for un-Bond related films on these later discs cheapens the set. I'm going to give my current, 22 film, set to a nephew (with a non-mathcing SF stuck in the sleeve) and get the updated collection for myself.

Thanks for the evaluation. Where would you buy the set that includes Skyfall? I've had difficulty finding the 23 set online.
    @MayDayDiVicenzo, it appears that the 'Bond 50' set with SF doesn't exist for Region B (at least I can't find it, there are many different country variations of it, so one might exist), but you could always buy the 22 film set you're looking at and get SF separately and add the disc inside of it, as it comes with a slot for it.

Also, buy it from a seller, not Amazon itself. I saw it on amazon.co.uk for £90, but the first 'New' listing for it, with shipping, is roughly £80.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MayDayDiVicenzo, it appears that the 'Bond 50' set with SF doesn't exist for Region B (at least I can't find it, there are many different country variations of it, so one might exist), but you could always buy the 22 film set you're looking at and get SF separately and add the disc inside of it, as it comes with a slot for it.

Also, buy it from a seller, not Amazon itself. I saw it on amazon.co.uk for £90, but the first 'New' listing for it, with shipping, is roughly £80.

Ah, what a shame. Thanks for the advice.
    You're welcome. Plus, you're in the UK, you could always get the set from that seller for £80, then spend the rest of what you were going to put towards it on that sleek SF steelbook.
    Such a shame not being able to get it over here...Ah well, SF steelbook it is!
    Such a shame not being able to get it over here...Ah well, SF steelbook it is!

I like your style. I always wanted to get it, but the way I feel about SF, coupled with the fact that it's hard for me to double-dip on a film I already own simply for a case, I just can't.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 5,080
    I'm not Skyfall's biggest fan, but I see myself as a bit of a completest. I've some money saved for a while for Bond merchandise, so I can't resist the beautfiful steelbook cover. Plus, it's only £16 on Amazon.
    I'm not Skyfall's biggest fan, but I see myself as a bit of a completest. I've some money saved for a while for Bond merchandise, I can't resist the beautfiful steelbook cover. Plus, it's inly £16 on Amazon.

That's not too bad. My OCD kicks in when I have different variations, so I have some Bond films with slipcovers, most are 50th Anniversary, some are the original blu-rays, etc. Irritates me, but I've never double-dipped before just for a case, so I won't start now.
    Right, I'm considering purchasing the Bond 50 BR on Amazon for £90. Is it worth it?
    Don´t hesitate. I was very much in love with my SE DVDs, and those were instantly forgotten after I started watching the BRs.

Thanks, @boldfinger. I'm really looking forward to having it. And the pictures of the Bond Girls inside the case is another bonus.
    Best Buy Having a Sale on James Bond Blurays. $4.99 a piece. Thats the best price I've seen for individual Bond Blurays.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-select-blu-ray-123968?ref=199&loc=NKa3hZyYoHA&siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-yD0vxd8k6.zjtvnnPiq7rw
    That's $105 for 21 of the official films, sans SF and something else that I can't find off the top of my head. The 22nd one they have is CR '67. Still, this is a great deal for those of you not interested in the box set, who may already have SF.
  • Just a quick one: on the Moonraker Blu Ray, does the space station look okay, or is it too dark as in the Ultimate Edition?
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 1,181
    For me personally, moonraker is definitely one of the best bluray films quality wise. I think it's a 4k transfer, so you will not be let down at least from a picture quality standpoint.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @NapoleonPlural, one question: are you a visual person? I mean, do you notice small details visually that escape other's notice?
    My LTK DVD is fairly smashing IMO. My new Blu Ray version is fantastic, but in the end, a lot of people won't notice a profound difference unless, like me, they are heavily-vision oriented folks.
  • It's just that Blu Ray, there were quibbles that the space scenes in the Ulitmate Edition were too dark, light those of the pts on OHMSS UE.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,350
    The Blu-ray Discs from what I understand have corrected a lot of mistakes from the past editions, including the ones you mention. One day I will have to buy some and see for myself.