Unique Patterns in the Bond Series?

13»

Comments

Tuck91 wrote: »
    Craig still hasnt had a proper woman villian.

I don't think we need any. Although if she was a disgusting monster like Rosa Klebb, that would be great.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't remember an explosion in GF. Bond averted one at Fort Knox certainly, and then it went onto the plane fight with Goldfinger himself.

The plane crashed and exploded.

And how about the PTS?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I was convinced Bellucci would be a villain.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was the finales that were discussed.
    I don't remember an explosion in GF. Bond averted one at Fort Knox certainly, and then it went onto the plane fight with Goldfinger himself.

The plane crashed and exploded.

Also during the chase around Pinewood Auric Enterprises, one of the goons cars goes off the road and explodes.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And the gates of Fort Knox were dynamited. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    What about CR? The building collapses on account of Bond shooting the floats (indirectly he is responsible for Vesper's death in the film - I just realized) but there was no explosion per se.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Number of films made by Bond actors:

7 Moore
    6 Connery
    5 Craig? it's still possible
    4 Brosnan
    3 ---
    2 Dalton
    1 Lazenby

so it's clear that if Craig does a fifth, the next actor will end up doing three in the end, ha!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    There's an explosion during the Parkor chase where Mollaka kicks a construction worker off a beam swinging a torch and he falls on some barrels and they explode. And of course Carlos who explodes from his own bomb. ;)
    @Murdock, I think the discussion about explosions started by focusing only on 'finales'. I think every Bond film has an explosion somewhere, even FRWL.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    @Murdock, I think the discussion about explosions started by focusing only on 'finales'. I think every Bond film has an explosion somewhere, even FRWL.

I hate it. It seem like the one rule they won't break. Like audiences will feel jilted if they don't get a massive explosion. I have never, childhood to middle-age, been into large explosions. The appeal is beyond me. I don't mind them if they organically serve the story (how many massive explosions dd we get in Fleming? not many), but how can that be the case in 23 out of 24 Bond adventures?

I like explosions in the right measure and right time. The Skyfall explosion for example I thought was appropriate because there hadn't been many up to that point and it, visually and narratively seemed quite fitting as well.

And if used right they can contribute to a feeling of intensity (LTK tanker chase finale) or as payoff (FRWL boat chase). If they are used too much (TND, TWINE, DAD, SP) then they typically become boring.

Yes every film has had more than one explosion. Except maybe DN which only had the one where Crab Key exploded.

As far as finales go LALD did not have a real explosion (Kananga was inflation, not explosion). I wouldn't say anything exploded during the TWINE or CR finales, technically speaking.

I think explosions are very much a part of Bond and a staple of the action genre so we won't be saying goodbye to them soon. And I quite like them anyway, so...
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Is OHMSS the only film where Bond kills absolutely no characters important to the plot?

Two ski goons and a few other mooks at Piz Gloria, none of them significant to the storyline.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I think the discussion about explosions started by focusing only on 'finales'. I think every Bond film has an explosion somewhere, even FRWL.

FRWL has two huge explosions following the helicopter scene. It's not the element I'd like all the Bond films to be united by, but I suppose you have to pander to the audience's interests somehow.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    @IncompetentHenchman - Probably. TB comes closest, where Bond only kills Vargas. Who didn't really do much.

TMWTGG is the only Bond movie where Bond only kills one person. MR is the only Bond movie not to feature Bond using any handgun, IIRC.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    FYEO does not feature any explosions in the final battle scene. Is it the only occurence of this?

It's a great effort old chap but from the OED:

Explosion - A violent shattering or blowing apart of something.

I think the ATAC hitting the rock is covered under that definition.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Almost every film features an elevator (or lift, if you prefer). This may seem unexceptional, but if you take into consideration where/how the elevator is used, we may seem some patterns.

The elevator is a symbol of social class. The higher it goes up, the greater the status. This is opposite of times prior to the elevator. In many cases, Bond is shown going in or coming out of elevators only going up, rarely coming down, in hotels. QoS is one of the few exceptions. All of DC's films feature important elevator scenes. There may be a connection here to the heavy emphasis on Bond's being an orphan attempting to escape his working class upbringing.

The elevator is also a symbol of entrapment.

In many cases, the elevator features prominently in the villain's lair. OHMSS, DAF, and SF are some examples off the top of my head.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That is some seriously deep stuff @TripAces. I'm actually tripping on it right now.

I believe such important social stature relationships to height above ground are covered in Tom Hiddle's new film entitled High Rise.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    That is some seriously deep stuff @TripAces. I'm actually tripping on it right now.

I believe such important social stature relationships to height above ground are covered in Tom Hiddle's new film entitled High Rise.

Indeed. It is based on the JG Ballard novel.
  • @IncompetentHenchman - Probably. TB comes closest, where Bond only kills Vargas. Who didn't really do much.

TMWTGG is the only Bond movie where Bond only kills one person. MR is the only Bond movie not to feature Bond using any handgun, IIRC.

Well. In TB he kills Fiona as well. And Jacques Bouvar. Characters that are named. All the characters Bond kills in OHMSS are nameless goons it seems. Which sort of takes away from his agency in the film.
  • QOS is the only film that does not have a happy ending or is the only one not to have a sense of triumph in the end.
    OHMSS?
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Oops.

QOS and OHMSS. Never mind.