SPECTRE Leaks Discussion (allowed on ONLY this thread) MAJOR PLOTLINE SPOILERS!

Comments

• TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    You're right @ChampionAlonso, the millenials would not know of those references anyway.

BTW, what do you mean with "as TND was going to be"? Do you mean B18?
  • You're right @ChampionAlonso, the millenials would not know of those references anyway.

Yes, Bond 18.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Shatterhand is a very good title, but it means nothing conected with 007 for 99.99 % of the audience. Some people would say "like the Scorsese/DiCaprio movie?" or "about Nintendos´game?" or even "as TND was going to be?"

99.9 % of the audience!? The Fleming books have been read by millions the world over.
    Furthermore, Bond fans know effortlessly that Shattherhand is Blofelds alias from Fleming's YOLT.
    And those that don't know will be dutifully informed by the world media who will be
    dutifully apprised by the press materials released by Eon.
    Just as in 2008, the world very quickly got up to speed with the fact that QoS was a Fleming title.
    It's a fallacy to think that Bond fans are divided into hardcore and the general public, and that there is this great divide. Those who shell out money and take time to watch each new Bond as it comes out and have revisited older films via Netflix or whatever are not Bond ignorant. They have a decent knowledge. People only watch so many movies a year.
    I found a co-worker humming Underneath The Mango Tree of all things last year. She said she'd been watching some Bond movies on Neflix or whatever, and liked that song.
    She is general public and she had seen most if not all of the movies, and had a respectable Bond IQ but you would never catch her on this board or making rankings, nor could she ryhme the titles off in order or tell you how many films Connery had made versus Moore, but she did have a decent Bond knowlege, just as I have a passable knowledge of the Marvel Universe only from watching the movies as member of General Public.
    Yet, I don't read the comics, I don't frequent the message boards, BUT I do trust that Marvel is servicing its hardcore fans.
    I do trust that Marvel makes effort to work with source material, canon etc and that hardcore Marvel fans are engaged both pro and con via their various platforms and sounding boards. That is just good business. It maintains the integrity of the product and DOES impact broader sales and interest.
    We hardcore do not exist in a vacuum.
    We are rather the more vocal and more knowledgable extension of the "general public", and we spend more money on the product, and impact word of mouth to a more severe degree. Eon gets its feedback from us.
    Any well run business will tell you, that you listen to your customers, especially those that take most interest in your product.
    Shatterhand is an impactful title. It does have a unique clout.
    It's not the only option obviously, but it does have a unique value, that can be exploited.

===As for looking forward, I think its an idea, maybe even one that is being considered, that SP and possibly the next two films might be riffs on Flemings final three novels, OHMSS, YOLT and TMWTGG.
    SP=OHMSS ( the similarities are glaring) B25= YOLT and B26 =TMWTGG, but as with OHMSS, different ,but derivative titles might be used.
    Just putting this out there, as we won't be sure until we get some sense of what B25 might be all about.

• aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,208
    It's a definite yes for the finale to be in the rain !!! I love that!! It has been conformed because my close friend who was at the set tonight saw Chris Corbould and asked him are the fire engines wetting the streets because it's going to be a rain scene and he said: "Yes, and then the rain itself will be added in post. This film will have loads of post", he said. Can't wait for this finale, especially because it looks like it has been extended in scenes.

Also, finally we have seen Waltz (with visible face) on set. Love that they are keeping his scared face at the end of the movie - because of the watch gadget explosion in Morocco, which I loved.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    You're right @ChampionAlonso, the millenials would not know of those references anyway.

Yes, Bond 18.

OK, but, how was it going to be anyways? I don't understand.
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    If they are filming the final scene on Westminster Bridge it will be during the early hours. They have the bridge until 5am. I have returned to my hotel so of course this means that I have missed something important....probably ;) I was too tired to stay.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    @leas_mole completely understandable. you did a great coverage of the set. I'm going to hit the sack too, can't wait for some pictures tomorrow during the day.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    Skyfall
    Spectre
    then Shatterhand?

i am all for one word titles of films - but this would be three times in a row, while also having the letter 'S' at the beginning of each word... i don't see it happening... if it's another single word title, i would prefer 'Risico' ... otherwise they can come up with something original if they aren't going to plunder a title from Fleming, Amis, Gardner, Benson or any of the millennial authors.
    It's also a the title of a tribute James Bond film about the previously unadapted Bond novel. It's in the fan section of this forum and on youtube.
  • Ew4IK2B.png

Can anyone remember if this character was in the script and if so, what happens to him?
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 389
    timmer wrote: »
    Shatterhand is a very good title, but it means nothing conected with 007 for 99.99 % of the audience. Some people would say "like the Scorsese/DiCaprio movie?" or "about Nintendos´game?" or even "as TND was going to be?"

99.9 % of the audience!? The Fleming books have been read by millions the world over.
    Furthermore, Bond fans know effortlessly that Shattherhand is Blofelds alias from Fleming's YOLT.
    And those that don't know will be dutifully informed by the world media who will be
    dutifully apprised by the press materials released by Eon.
    Just as in 2008, the world very quickly got up to speed with the fact that QoS was a Fleming title.
    It's a fallacy to think that Bond fans are divided into hardcore and the general public, and that there is this great divide. Those who shell out money and take time to watch each new Bond as it comes out and have revisited older films via Netflix or whatever are not Bond ignorant. They have a decent knowledge. People only watch so many movies a year.
    I found a co-worker humming Underneath The Mango Tree of all things last year. She said she'd been watching some Bond movies on Neflix or whatever, and liked that song.
    She is general public and she had seen most if not all of the movies, and had a respectable Bond IQ but you would never catch her on this board or making rankings, nor could she ryhme the titles off in order or tell you how many films Connery had made versus Moore, but she did have a decent Bond knowlege, just as I have a passable knowledge of the Marvel Universe only from watching the movies as member of General Public.
    Yet, I don't read the comics, I don't frequent the message boards, BUT I do trust that Marvel is servicing its hardcore fans.
    I do trust that Marvel makes effort to work with source material, canon etc and that hardcore Marvel fans are engaged both pro and con via their various platforms and sounding boards. That is just good business. It maintains the integrity of the product and DOES impact broader sales and interest.
    We hardcore do not exist in a vacuum.
    We are rather the more vocal and more knowledgable extension of the "general public", and we spend more money on the product, and impact word of mouth to a more severe degree. Eon gets its feedback from us.
    Any well run business will tell you, that you listen to your customers, especially those that take most interest in your product.
    Shatterhand is an impactful title. It does have a unique clout.
    It's not the only option obviously, but it does have a unique value, that can be exploited.

===As for looking forward, I think its an idea, maybe even one that is being considered, that SP and possibly the next two films might be riffs on Flemings final three novels, OHMSS, YOLT and TMWTGG.
    SP=OHMSS ( the similarities are glaring) B25= YOLT and B26 =TMWTGG, but as with OHMSS, different ,but derivative titles might be used.
    Just putting this out there, as we won't be sure until we get some sense of what B25 might be all about.

Probably, a lot of people have that kind of "Bond culture" in UK, but overseas it is not so common, at least in Spain or Italy, where I have spent the most of my life.
    +1 for a “Shatterhand as the title of Bond 25” vote. If Mendes directs and this is a direct continuation of SPECTRE, it would seem very apt that the “Mendes trilogy” is comprised of all one-word S titles. It’s sort of poetic.

I agree that Risico is a fantastic title and should be used in the future, but I’m digging Shatterhand for #25.

On a side note, I am hoping and praying (okay, not really praying, because that’s a bit silly) that Oberhauser is revealed as Blofeld by the end of this movie. It’s not in the script...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm in the extreme minority here but I've never really liked the title Risico.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Way better than property of a lady ....Craig doesn't even like that title ...too lifetime channel for me

On a side note, I am hoping and praying (okay, not really praying, because that’s a bit silly) that Oberhauser is revealed as Blofeld by the end of this movie. It’s not in the script...

He is though - in the December one anyway...Oberhauser sort of becomes Blofeld, with the scars and all...
    antovolk wrote: »

He is though - in the December one anyway...Oberhauser sort of becomes Blofeld, with the scars and all...

Antovolk, I have read the December draft. I know he gets the scars, etc., and there seems little doubt that he is Blofeld. But they never actually say his name, which worries me. I would love for either Bond or Oberhauser to say the name "Blofeld" in the crashed helicopter on Westminster Bridge. In the leaked draft OUTLINE, he does, so I hope they go by that.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    and the fashion sense of Charles grey ;)
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Christoph Waltz getting into the helicopter is scene 173D, I guess.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 3,164
    antovolk wrote: »

Antovolk, I have read the December draft. I know he gets the scars, etc., and there seems little doubt that he is Blofeld. But they never actually say his name, which worries me. I would love for either Bond or Oberhauser to say the name "Blofeld" in the crashed helicopter on Westminster Bridge. In the leaked draft OUTLINE, he does, so I hope they go by that.

I said this before, and it's clear if you read through the meeting with M, Madeleine and Bond at the barracks - instead of Oberhauser or Serban they're supposed to say Blofeld, after he is "revealed" by Bond to be Blofeld during that poker game scene. The way it's in the draft is for security reasons methinks.
    timmer wrote: »
    Just for the record Bond has either formally or informally resigned, or gone rogue in all 4 of the Craig films
    Compare with the first 20 films, where this happened 3x. OHMSS, LTK and DAD.

In CR, Bond formally resigns much like he did in OHMSS. He comes back both times before film is over.
    In QoS Bond goes full rogue, operates in defiance of orders, breaks Mi6 custody as he did in both LTK and DAD. He's welcomed back later due to the good graces of M, which is essentially what goes down in both LTK and DAD to bring him back in.
    In SF Bond informally quits after M's "take the bloody shot" order. He goes AWOL, leaving the impression that he is dead. Duty brings him back though.
    In SP, the Dec 1st script strongly suggests that Bond quits Mi6 at the end of the film.
    We can be sure though that he will come back into the fold in next film.

Again, this is just for the record.
    There is nothing unprecendented with the Bond rogue thing or even formal resignation activity that we see in the Craig era. Formal in that, I assume Bond was intending another short email at least, to advise of his quitting at end of SP.

But we do seem to have a preponderance of this rogue-resignation behaviour in the Craig era. 4 for 4 versus 3 for 20.
    Not saying its necessarily bad, although personally I don't like it, but its there.
    It is what it is.

What goes down at the end of SP though isn't that terrible IMO. Bond's quitting is not really that dramatic. There are several ways to look at it.
    One way for example, as someone else mentioned, is thatMi6 doesn't actually exist in its old form at movie's end. It needs to be re-established.
    Considering all he's been through, you can see why he might seize the opportunity to walk away, spend time with the girl, pending the higher-ups getting the intelligence apparatus back in order. "Call me when you've got the tent back up" type thing and "I'll see if I'm interested"

What I would like to see happen beyond SP though,is that Bond returns to battle Blofeld and that we get a modern telling of the Shatterhand, Castle of Death story, with Bunt in play as well.
    I think I will get my wish. SP does seem to be setting up for this. Most telling is the "We have all the time in the world" line. That line dooms Swann.
    Mendes or whoever, can then go nuts indulging all the melodrama potential, to be mined from Flemings YOLT, and this is legit territory, as Bond was very much in a bad way when we come across him in the YOLT book.
    Mendes and Craig might be the perfect pair to really deliver this story with full dramatic impact.
    However, because I like Spectre and Blofeld as recurring villainy, my preference would be that Bond get his YOLT-style revenge, seemingly destroy Blofeld, maybe even also play out the whole transition to the TMWTGG story, in a follow-up film.

However, at end of B25, while no-memory Bond is recovering with Kissy , we the audience would be teased that Blofeld's death might be not quite fait accompli
    However Ernst will be gone from the Craig era. If Craig continues for another film (TMWTGG take), no more Blofeld but SP might continue. That would make 6 Craig films and complete a nice arc from CR, QoS and SF to the concluding OHMSS YOLT TMWTGG takes.

But when Craig retires, we get blank slate again, and we relaunch with a new young Bond.
    Blofeld can rise from the ashes and reclaim SP for a glorious new era of Bond-versus- Blofeld-and-SP filmmaking. The Craig era will simply be a vague past history that Bond might obliquely reference from time to time, much as previous Bonds vaguely referenced the adventures of their predecessors eg both Rog and Dalts having history with Laz-Bond and Tracy, even if timeline was way out of whack in Dalts case.

We are talking movie fantasy land. New Bond can move forward battling Blofeld and Spectre when needed, kind of the way Cubby had intended post TMWTGG, if McClory hadn't got in the way, and taken Ernst and SP out of play, which of course led to the infamous FYEO pts, Ernst smokestack-dump, and poor cat scurrying off to fend for itself yet again.

I've reread @timmer's scenario's for Bond 25 and possibly beyond, and it is just so bleeping clear to me that this is the obvious plot for Bond 25. EON must be terrified of not equaling SF's BO or at least coming near it, and this scenario, if SP is a decent hit, just so clearly exploits what SP sets up, with the plot practically writing itself. EON must go through hell coming up with new plots for each new Bond as every Spy film these days is stealing endlessly from Bond, and every Spy film story idea has already been done to death. A Bond 25 plot as noted in @timmers post just makes too much sense. I think I may have noted in some other post, that our first real hint, that Bond 25 will indeed follow this scenario will be news that Lea and Waltz are contracted for Bond 25. That would also be the sign that Craig is unquestionably coming back for a 5th Bond.

• EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    Blofeld IMO would be a great title ..
    Shatterhand would be good so the Mendes trilogy titles would all starts with letter S .

or the title could be "Stavro" ;)
    I like Blofeld Risico and The Hildebrand Rarity for Bond 25 Shatterhand I like but too many S titles is never a good thing.
    If B25 is going to be a modern take on the YOLT novel (and it obviously looks that way based on the SP script), then yes, Shatterhand is an obvious title. However, if they are reluctant to go with another one-word "S" title, they can always call it "Garden of Death."
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Earlobes. Sung by weird al
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Or as a nod to Ralph Fiennes "The Constant Gardner of Death" =))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Garden of death, now that is a title!
    I do like Garden of Death more then Shatterhand as at least it is somewhat different.
    Can someone point me the page number in the script that references the shoes Bond wears while undercover in Rome?
    Garden of Death is a good, smart title - for knowledgeable Bond fans. But not so much for everyone else which is the main general audience. "Death" in a movie title does not project thrills and spills to a huge mass audience that has no clue about the title's meaning. Given CraigBond's rep for going dark, it could be a "doom and gloom" turn off to the general audience.

I think Shatterhand is a great title because it is genuine Fleming, and it has a a very strong, kind of visceral zing to it. It is also 100% relevant to what one hopes is the likely Bond 25 plot.
  • aaron819 wrote: »
    "Yes, and then the rain itself will be added in post. This film will have loads of post"

I thought the change of DOP and the return to film would have meant less CG than in SF, but all this is bad news for me :(

They have Waltz, but will "use" him with CG enhancements for the finale ? I think even those here who love SF would not really consider the CG Bardem moment like a high point of SF.. And now, we'll have probably a CG scar on Waltz for the last scenes. And CG rain.

It means the overall look of the performance is also in the hand of the CG artists while we all know they are under time pressure. And no one right now on the set knows what it will look like on screen. Oh well...

I hope also that when Corbould says there will loads of post, that it doesn't mean we'll have again CG locations. I'm afraid Blofeld's lair may be that...