Quantum of Solace: Is it any good?

Comments

Update:
    I do have the shotgun on this level, only 4 shells left but hopefully that's enough.
    However, I'm so rusty at this game that I can't even MAKE it to the helipad... once I do though I'll let you know how it goes. :-S
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have a favor to ask, for anyone who owns it on the PS3:

Is the online still active? I'm always tempted to purchase it when I go into GameStop, and the real selling point of the game was how addictive the multiplayer was for me when I owned it back on my Xbox 360. So, if you own a copy, and wouldn't mind putting it in and taking a look at how active some of the game modes are, I would appreciate it. Other QoS game forums are dead, so I'm not sure where else I could ask this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I have a favor to ask, for anyone who owns it on the PS3:

Is the online still active? I'm always tempted to purchase it when I go into GameStop, and the real selling point of the game was how addictive the multiplayer was for me when I owned it back on my Xbox 360. So, if you own a copy, and wouldn't mind putting it in and taking a look at how active some of the game modes are, I would appreciate it. Other QoS game forums are dead, so I'm not sure where else I could ask this.
    I played for a spot a while back, but I must heed a warning. It is absolutely overrun by FRWL shotties and the overuse of the shotguns simply make it no fun anymore. Even worse there is only basic Team Death Match and Team Conflict because no one else wants to play any other modes, and the matches take more than four to five minutes to gather up enough players to even drop in a game. With so many fresh multiplayer experiences hitting stores there is no longer any reason to pick up QoS for the online.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @jackdagger, how did your fight to beat QoS the game go? Any luck with the shotgun??
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Since this is the closest I could find to a Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread or Discussion Thread to be fairer, mind you? I found this very little thing that captured my attention big time.

In the PS3/Xbox360/PC/Wii version, when you pick up a guard's phone in the cellar at the White's Estate level, you'll see that a message is sent to Mr. White from one "M. Lacroix". Is this some sort of a shoutout to Monique Delacroix?
    Parts of it are good but overall I think it's disappointing.
    @ClarkDevlin, the forum's appreciation thread is here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1117/quantum-of-solace-appreciation-thread-we-found-a-better-place-to-meet#latest

Of course, this question relates to the games, so I don't think it would fit with discussions. An interesting find on your part, however.
    This game on the PS2 was the last action game i ever played ...it showed me that my reactions werent what they used to be ,and time to give up on action and shooter games,as i was just getting more and more frustrated with myself not being able to to what i used to do with ease.

Age comes to us all eh ?
    As for the game itself,average,but i hate games were you have to replay scenes again and again due to no proper saving facility on it.
    I loved the PS2 version of QoS growing up, but revisiting it you easily see how badly it controls and how nutty the camera is. A very inferior experience thanks to the new age gaming advancements, which was unavoidable.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Didn't even know it got released on PS2.
    Yep..sure did.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Thanks for the link, Braders. Much appreciated.

The PS2 version, as faulted as it is, is still by far an utmost superior game to the mainstream version as well as the Nintendo DS version.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Damn, this game had a hell of a soundtrack. While this is kind of moot given how there won't be another Bond game for years, I would love if Christopher Lennertz had another shot at scoring a game (or possibly a film), after delivering two cracking Bond game scores:

QoS is good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It has declined quite a bit in my most recent rankings (the biggest decliner actually) but I still enjoy it. The film is not especially memorable for me, but it's quite tight and fast paced.
    It has the best car chase in the series.
    I disagree, but it's definitely up there. The TSWLM one will always be tops for me.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It has declined quite a bit in my most recent rankings (the biggest decliner actually) but I still enjoy it. The film is not especially memorable for me, but it's quite tight and fast paced.

Tight to the point of asphyxiation.

But anyway, this thread is for the game, not the film. ;)
    bondjames wrote: »

Tight to the point of asphyxiation.

But anyway, this thread is for the game, not the film. ;)
    Oh sorry, I didn't even read that. Thanks for pointing it out. Over and out.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

It may have the most visceral action in the series, for me.

It may have the most visceral action in the series, for me.

Right there with you. The action in this movie is definitely the most brutal and heavy-hitting, too, I love it.
    Maybe we can edit the thread title to include GAME or PS3/XBOX360 ? It's very easy to mistake this for a discussion of the film.

Agreed. It's going to be tough to top that one for me, because I'm sure they'll never make a return to the style and editing Forster brought to his action sequences.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Agreed. It's going to be tough to top that one for me, because I'm sure they'll never make a return to the style and editing Forster brought to his action sequences.

The style of QoS actually reminds me a lot of how Glen cut OHMSS, and how Hunt worked in the early 60s. Obviously the editing of QoS is more rapid, but all three styles favored a quick switch to many different angles on a piece of action, where a cut would happen every second or so on the dime. Many of these cuts would also be framed rather artistically, too. The shots we get of Bond's eyes and surroundings in the QoS opening chase, for example, remind me of how Hunt and his team introduced Bond through the rapid looks at parts of his face while Tracy speeds past.

The Slate fight feels like a modern version of the little fights in OHMSS too, such as the one with Che Che, another inside Draco's or the one outside the lift of Piz Gloria before Bond makes his way down the mountain. I find comparisons between the Slate and Che Che fight in particular, as Bond does the same move where he smashes the enemy through the decorative little section of what look like tiny doors in both. As with Slate, he also wears Che Che down to nothing, until he just decides to go limp and give up.

Both films have fighting sequences that are cut quick, but that are artsy and well composed with a lot of wide angles and various shots on the unfolding scrap, with a real punch to the audio and with actors/performers who really look like they are trying to kill each other. That's essentially what makes QoS and OHMSS two of the most successful from an action standpoint: the actors went into it trying to make it look as real as possible, and it's very believable when viewed as George and Dan respectively strike like hell back at their enemies.
    Brady great thoughts, but this thread is for the video game of the film, not the film itself.
    Brady great thoughts, but this thread is for the video game of the film, not the film itself.

Apologies, most of us overlooked that bit.

Getting on topic now, QoS the game is some of the most fun I had with the Bond gaming series. It came out around Christmas, I believe, and my buddy and I played the hell out of the online. Was exciting because the multiplayer was straight-forward and competitive, but it was also nice getting to run around all these locations from one of my favorite films in the series. I'd love to return to the multiplayer with a full fan base behind it.

Fair point. ;)

Shall will move to here, lads?

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/1117/quantum-of-solace-appreciation-thread-we-found-a-better-place-to-meet#latest
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,087

Getting on topic now, QoS the game is some of the most fun I had with the Bond gaming series. It came out around Christmas, I believe, and my buddy and I played the hell out of the online. Was exciting because the multiplayer was straight-forward and competitive, but it was also nice getting to run around all these locations from one of my favorite films in the series. I'd love to return to the multiplayer with a full fan base behind it.

Yeah, it was one of my first (and only) experiences of online gaming. Those carefree gaming experiences seem so quaint now. No skins, no packs to buy etc. Everyone had the exact same version of the exact same game, if I remember correctly. It was just about having fun.

Yeah, it was one of my first (and only) experiences of online gaming. Those carefree gaming experiences seem so quaint now. No skins, no packs to buy etc. Everyone had the exact same version of the exact same game, if I remember correctly. It was just about having fun.

Agreed. Ranking up/completing matches earned you credits, so all you had to do was play the game to unlock all the weapons/attachments. Was a load of fun, until everyone realized the Hutchinson A4 shotgun was the only weapon you needed to use, then the game turned into a war zone.
  • I prefer the PS3 version.