Spaghetti Western fans?

ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
A very unlikely thread to those who follow the mainstream media, but I suppose there are old people out there who still express a sheer admiration for Italian Spaghetti Westerns, the famous one being The Dollars Trilogy, starring Clint Eastwood as The Man With No Name, or Django and its unauthorized sequels, or maybe Once Upon A Time In The West. Anyone, besides me, loves this one particular genre? I do have a collection of home videos consisting of 35 films overall.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I enjoy westerns and I'm 23. :) Not sure what my favorite would be though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    We're about the same age, then, Murdock. I'm 22 myself. But I've always enjoyed these westerns as my father introduced me to them. Especially the Italian-made ones. :) From Clint Eastwood to Lee Van Cleef to Franco Nero. They are all winners. One of my all-time favourites, I think, would be Death Rides A Horse with Lee Van Cleef and the famed Diabolik star, John Phillip Law.
    We're about the same age, then, Murdock. I'm 22 myself. But I've always enjoyed these westerns as my father introduced me to them. Especially the Italian-made ones. :) From Clint Eastwood to Lee Van Cleef to Franco Nero. They are all winners. One of my all-time favourites, I think, would be Death Rides A Horse with Lee Van Cleef and the famed Diabolik star, John Phillip Law.

My late father got me into westerns too. :) He really loved Shane and The Sons of Katie Elder. Though I don't think it would count, but I think my favorite western would be Back to the Future III. :P

My late father got me into westerns too. :) He really loved Shane and The Sons of Katie Elder. Though I don't think it would count, but I think my favorite western would be Back to the Future III. :P
    Hell of a movie, that one, Murdock. :) And I do love Back To the Future III, since it was inspired by The Dollars Trilogy. Funnier fact is, Marty was called Clint Eastwood and adopt the characteristics of The Man With No Name, played by the actor of the same name. :)

Hell of a movie, that one, Murdock. :) And I do love Back To the Future III, since it was inspired by The Dollars Trilogy. Funnier fact is, Marty was called Clint Eastwood and adopt the characteristics of The Man With No Name, played by the actor of the same name. :)

Yes I noticed those parallels. :) The most recent western I watched was "Breakheart Pass" with Charles Bronson. Great train mystery thriller. I love westerns that take place on trains. Something nostalgic about it.

Yes I noticed those parallels. :) The most recent western I watched was "Breakheart Pass" with Charles Bronson. Great train mystery thriller. I love westerns that take place on trains. Something nostalgic about it.
    Breakheart Pass was brilliant! Amazing cast, with the presence of the beautiful Jill Ireland, and the magnificent Richard Crenna. You know what is even better about that film? It's based on a novel written by spy novelist, Alistair MacLean. Sadly, I haven't read that book yet, but I've read many of his works. Charles Bronson, as well, is definitely a king in his circle. I'd watch anything he stars in.

Breakheart Pass was brilliant! Amazing cast, with the presence of the beautiful Jill Ireland, and the magnificent Richard Crenna. You know what is even better about that film? It's based on a novel written by spy novelist, Alistair MacLean. Sadly, I haven't read that book yet, but I've read many of his works. Charles Bronson, as well, is definitely a king in his circle. I'd watch anything he stars in.

Same here. Charles Bronson is my favorite actor. Everything he's in is just so fun to watch. I think my favorite Bronson movie is Death Wish 3. It's so insane it's fun.

Same here. Charles Bronson is my favorite actor. Everything he's in is just so fun to watch. I think my favorite Bronson movie is Death Wish 3. It's so insane it's fun.
    The Death Wish series are beyond perfection. I can imagine no one playing Paul Kersey but Bronson, himself. The fourth one was amazing, as well.
    @ClarkDevlin we reach. I'm glad Stallone's attempt to remake it never seen the light of day.
    @ClarkDevlin we reach. I'm glad Stallone's attempt to remake it never seen the light of day.
    I like Sylvester Stallone, but to have Death Wish Rambo-fied? God forbid! Action is a league of its own, and DW franchise is certainly not it. Remember Get Carter? It may have been a good action film, but it's a blasphemy compared to its source material, the original Michael Caine film.
    I like Sylvester Stallone, but to have Death Wish Rambo-fied? God forbid! Action is a league of its own, and DW franchise is certainly not it. Remember Get Carter? It may have been a good action film, but it's a blasphemy compared to its source material, the original Michael Caine film.

Sadly I haven't seen either but It is on my to watch list. I like Stallone too but he doesn't fit the mold of Paul Kersey. I read that he wanted to make Kersey a cop who never once used a weapon his entire career. That's a bit too cliche for me. I like that Paul Kersey was an everyman. Your simple neighborhood architect who didn't even believe in violence until his family was tragically taken away from him. Bronson had a nack for playing those types of characters. He was great in "Once upon a time in the West." Now that was a great western with all the right elements.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 15,423

Sadly I haven't seen either but It is on my to watch list. I like Stallone too but he doesn't fit the mold of Paul Kersey. I read that he wanted to make Kersey a cop who never once used a weapon his entire career. That's a bit too cliche for me. I like that Paul Kersey was an everyman. Your simple neighborhood architect who didn't even believe in violence until his family was tragically taken away from him. Bronson had a nack for playing those types of characters. He was great in "Once upon a time in the West." Now that was a great western with all the right elements.
    I second that notion. Being a cop who's over 65 years old, and never used a gun, then suddenly becomes a professional at its usage? Wouldn't work. Or would be too cheesy, something like 21 Jump Street. Kersey is an average everyman who becomes a motivated vigilante after seeing his family murdered by street thugs. Not a former cop or a security officer. Leave that to another territory.

I literally agree, Bronson's character, Harmonica was intense and very mysterious in that film. That's what made the film so great, playing out Henry Fonda till the end. That is exactly how a revenge movie should be built.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Once Upon a Time in the West is a Huge and Universal Masterpiece.

I also love the Dollar Trilogy (incredible Morricone!!).

The rest of spaghetti are really far away from Leone...
  • There is no better movie in this universe than "The good,the bad and the ugly".
    It feels almost depressing to me,that this is another fantastic movie,which simply wouldn't be made these days for so many reasons.
  • Love the Dollars trilogy, also Once Upon a Time in the West is one of the greatest films ever made IMO.
    I really enjoyed the Sabata movies with Lee Van Cleef and the Magnificent Seven series.
    I really enjoyed the Sabata movies with Lee Van Cleef and the Magnificent Seven series.
    Some fans have tied Lee Van Cleef's role, Douglas Mortimer, to the infamous Sabata, because of the similarities between the characteristics of both heroes. And that the Sabata timeline begins after Mortimer rides off to the sun in For A Few Dollars More. I can see he's modified his pistol, which has become very tricky, obtained a better sense of humour (life is short, why not make joy out of it?) but still kept his suit. :)
    ggl007 wrote: »
    The rest of spaghetti are really far away from Leone...
    Yes, well, they were basically rip-offs, with lower budgets than Leone's originals. But, I still love them, anyway.
    Big fan of westerns! I love it when i stumble across one, always watched them growing up!
    @RogueAgent , any particular favourite? :)
    FYI:

At CD Baby starting December 1, 2014 and running for 3 days, standard domestic AND international shipping for CD sales through CDBaby.com for ONE PENNY - almost free shipping.

Lou Pecci CD's available with reviews and free previews:

1. Original Time - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/loupecci3
    2. ,James Bond on Electric Guitar - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/loupecci12
    3. Spaghetti Western Themes on Nylon String Guitar Vol. 2 - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/loupecci2
    4. Spaghetti Western Themes on Nylon String Guitar - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/loupecci

Also at Amazon, iTunes, and last three at Screen Archives.com.

Thanks...

"The good, The bad, and the Ugly" always gets me, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid" and most of John Wayne's movies too! Audy Murphy, Henry Fonda, Magnificent Seven and the list goes on.

Whether in Colour or Black and White? A western on the TV results in my bum sat on the sofa if the kids and my better half are not around! One of my favourites has to be "They died with their boots on". Great film! :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote: »

"The good, The bad, and the Ugly" always gets me, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid" and most of John Wayne's movies too! Audy Murphy, Henry Fonda, Magnificent Seven and the list goes on.

Whether in Colour or Black and White? A western on the TV results in my bum sat on the sofa if the kids and my better half are not around! One of my favourites has to be "They died with their boots on". Great film! :-bd
    I see what you mean there, with that old soul lying around. Magnificent Seven alone is beyond perfection of any western if you ask me. It's just utterly a shame they had to make several unauthorized and low budget sequels that almost humiliated the original film. And I do mean the original western, and not the Japanese story it was adapted from.

Here's a fun fact. :)

Lee Van Cleef couldn't appear in the second Sabata film (which, later, has happened to be a prequel.) because he was shooting The Magnificent Seven Ride, having replaced Yul Brynner in the role of Chris Adams, while Yul Brynner was onto playing a young Sabata in Adios, Sabata (originally, the film was to be called Indio Black, but due to the success of the former, they had to rename it and rewrite some of the dialogues). Swapped roles for sure! :D
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I see what you mean there, with that old soul lying around. Magnificent Seven alone is beyond perfection of any western if you ask me. It's just utterly a shame they had to make several unauthorized and low budget sequels that almost humiliated the original film. And I do mean the original western, and not the Japanese story it was adapted from.

Here's a fun fact. :)

Lee Van Cleef couldn't appear in the second Sabata film (which, later, has happened to be a prequel.) because he was shooting The Magnificent Seven Ride, having replaced Yul Brynner in the role of Chris Adams, while Yul Brynner was onto playing a young Sabata in Adios, Sabata (originally, the film was to be called Indio Black, but due to the success of the former, they had to rename it and rewrite some of the dialogues). Swapped roles for sure! :D

Wow that is ironic! :)) Completely agree that their was no need to do any follow ups with regards to the Magnificent Seven. Such an iconic film and talented cast which to this day has not been surpassed and never will be!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    You guys *NEED* to see Hannie Caulder.... seriously.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    You guys *NEED* to see Hannie Caulder.... seriously.
    Who said I am not a die-hard fan of Raquel Welch, mate? :D
    I've seen it perhaps more than 25 times overall. What a film! Ernest Borgnine is definitely the man who knows how to play a despicable villain, as well.
    Man, this just happens by luck. Having recently watched the first two Sartana films, I only found out a few hours ago that Arrow Films announced a remaster of the whole Pentalogy! Today!

4cb71bb4-395f-4a80-bacb-5c1bc1cd2dcc.jpg

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/the-complete-sartana-limited-edition/FCD1762

Here's a clip for those interested:
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Would Back to the Future III count
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Man, this just happens by luck. Having recently watched the first two Sartana films, I only found out a few hours ago that Arrow Films announced a remaster of the whole Pentalogy! Today!

4cb71bb4-395f-4a80-bacb-5c1bc1cd2dcc.jpg

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/the-complete-sartana-limited-edition/FCD1762

Here's a clip for those interested:

Wow! Great news, a definite buy for me.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Great to see some admiration for Italian cinema. I really enjoy the Dollar films and A Fistful of Dynamite but I think Leone’s true masterpiece is Once Upon a Time in the West. Can’t imagine a western to be more epic than that one. Also Morricone’s best score I’d say.

PS: would you say 1975’s Zorro is a spaghetti western? It sure has a lot in common with them.