Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Germanlady wrote:
    I have no respect whatsoever for men (is he even an actor?), who keep on advertising themselves as Bond. There has been quite a number and they are doing it in many different ways - some do it like this guy, some try to be more subtle or even through claiming, they didn't want the job when offered. None of these will ever find themselves really been offered the job and I don't even need a crystal ball to know that. EON liks to decide all by themselves.

A very good actor. He's great in Luther (BBC series), Prometheus and he's playing Nelson Mandella soon. I don't think he's advertising himself as Bond and he hasn't really mentioned it much before so I don't see how (even if he was), he keeps doing it.

How come no one is mentioing The Wire? He is brilliant in that and it's what made his name.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    I have no respect whatsoever for men (is he even an actor?), who keep on advertising themselves as Bond. There has been quite a number and they are doing it in many different ways - some do it like this guy, some try to be more subtle or even through claiming, they didn't want the job when offered. None of these will ever find themselves really been offered the job and I don't even need a crystal ball to know that. EON liks to decide all by themselves.

A very good actor. He's great in Luther (BBC series), Prometheus and he's playing Nelson Mandella soon. I don't think he's advertising himself as Bond and he hasn't really mentioned it much before so I don't see how (even if he was), he keeps doing it.

How come no one is mentioing The Wire? He is brilliant in that and it's what made his name.

Never seen the wire, sorry. I've been meaning too.
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Never seen the wire, sorry. I've been meaning too.

Epic. It helped reinvent TV and you can see its influence in practically everything these days, especially all these Scando crime series and French cop-show Spiral. Idris's character is one of the best things in The Wire as well.

It's amusing that arguably the biggest characters in the show are both played by Brits - Idris and Dominic West.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Idris does come off as pushing it, as many interviews are exhibits of. I don't like when people already have an idea that they'll be cast, or that they should be the top choice, and I think EON will get detracted from that.
    Idris does come off as pushing it, as many interviews are exhibits of. I don't like when people already have an idea that they'll be cast, or that they should be the top choice, and I think EON will get detracted from that.

He's a touch bitter because it wasn't until he got his break on The Wire in the US that any one paid him any attention. I think he didn't have much luck when he was younger and looking for work in the UK. As a rule I'd say it's slightly easier for a black actor to get work in the US than in the UK, even if they are stereotyped as gangsters. His going on about Bond might be a way of highlighting the lack of roles for black actors.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:

He's a touch bitter because it wasn't until he got his break on The Wire in the US that any one paid him any attention. I think he didn't have much luck when he was younger and looking for work in the UK. As a rule I'd say it's slightly easier for a black actor to get work in the US than in the UK, even if they are stereotyped as gangsters. His going on about Bond might be a way of highlighting the lack of roles for black actors.

It shouldn't matter the color of your skin, roles can be changed to correspond to your ethnicity/race. Stuff like that needs to stop being an excuse, where an actor's talent overrides where he comes from or what color he is.
    Getafix wrote:

It shouldn't matter the color of your skin, roles can be changed to correspond to your ethnicity/race. Stuff like that needs to stop being an excuse, where an actor's talent overrides where he comes from or what color he is.

I agree, but casting directors often dont see it the same way. There is still I think a perception that white audiences are less likely to pay to go and see a black actor in a leading role. Some actors like Denzil Washington and Will Smith have dealt with this by becoming producers and creating vehicles for themselves, but this is only an option available to a lucky few.
    I reckon Tom Hardy could do it if he was given the chance.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I used to champion Fassbender but then he became too much of a cliched choice. However, after watching the movie, shame Fassbender is once again 1 of my top 3 candidates for the role.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    could Ben Afleck work?
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I'm just going to throw this name out there, since I haven't seen it yet: Matthew Marsden. Born 1973 in England. He's certainly not famous yet but he's been in Transformers and Two & a Half Men (which I've never seen)

I noticed him in 2008- he was the sniper from 'Rambo' and held his own quite nicely. Surprised I haven't seen more out of him...

He's the right age, not 'too' recognizable, and he should perhaps be considered I think

008RMB_Matthew_Marsden_005.jpg
    008RMB_Matthew_Marsden_010.jpg
    I'm just going to throw this name out there, since I haven't seen it yet: Matthew Marsden. Born 1973 in England. He's certainly not famous yet but he's been in Transformers and Two & a Half Men (which I've never seen)

I noticed him in 2008- he was the sniper from 'Rambo' and held his own quite nicely. Surprised I haven't seen more out of him...

He's the right age, not 'too' recognizable, and he should perhaps be considered I think

I could see it.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I could see it.

This is interesting. His bio says he is a martial artist. He could easily do his own fighting stunts, and look genuinely skilled.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,894
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I could see it.

This is interesting. His bio says he is a martial artist. He could easily do his own fighting stunts, and look genuinely skilled.

I've thought of Marsden FOR Bond in the past too. I remember him from when he was in Coronation Street back in 1997 - 1998. Since then i've seen him in Helen Of Troy, Anacondas: The Hunt For The Blood Orchid, Tamara, DOA: Dead Or Alive, Rambo and an episode of Ghost Whipserer. Born in '73, he could've been cast in 2006, but being only 5 years younger than Craig, I think that might rule him out. Bit of a shame really, as he seems to allready have the athletic side of the role down pat, and if EON feel like saving money, he could sing the title track too. ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I wouldn't be surprised if EON have a candidate in mind when Daniel Craig leaves the role.
    cavill.jpg
    Having narrowly missed the role in '05/'06, I'd say it's a good bet Cavill will be on the short list.
    Just depends how the Superman gig goes I suppose.
    I remember Marsden from coronation street, Black Hawk Down and Rambo. He was also a pop star for 5 minutes. I reckon he could do it.
    NicNac wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Idris Elba is a fine and charismatic actor. Brilliant in the TV series Luther.

He is however clearly stirring it up a little. He's black, and probably challanging people to question why Bond shouldn't be black. As you say though, anyone who bleets on about how they should be Bond have basically screwed their chances.

I honestly never heard of him apart from those Bond debates.
    Germanlady wrote:
    NicNac wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

He is however clearly stirring it up a little. He's black, and probably challanging people to question why Bond shouldn't be black. As you say though, anyone who bleets on about how they should be Bond have basically screwed their chances.

Watch The Wire.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    NicNac wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Watch The Wire.

Watch Luther.
  • Probably too old now I know, but if he could pull off the English accent, this picture reminds me of Connery sitting waiting to kill the nexy guy that walks through the door....

Jon-Hamm-jon-hamm-7852365-1280-1024.jpg
    That's 'Alex Ross' Batman sitting right there
    John Hamm is a bad idea. He's great in Mad Men but strangely forgettable in everything else. Plus, unless an American actor can totally nail the accent I wouldn't be happy. Even then there'd be something odd about it.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 774
    Despite being a huge fan of Mad Men and of him, I'd hate to have Hamm as Bond. It would just feel weird for me. Despite him seeming like an ideal fit with his looks; I just don't think it would work. Maybe it's just me.
    Volante wrote:
    Despite being a huge fan of Mad Men and of him, I'd hate to have Hamm as Bond. It would just feel weird for me. Despite him seeming like an ideal fit with his looks; I just don't think it would work. Maybe it's just me.

yeah, it's just you.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I find Hamm to be too... American looking, if that makes sense. It's as if he's got that all American hero look. Might be good for Superman, but totally wrong for Bond. He may be a good actor, but then i've never seen him in anything.
    That's 'Alex Ross' Batman sitting right there

Does Ross use him as a model for his Batman?
    No, while Ross does use real models, Don Draper isn't one of them. He sure is a dead ringer though!
    No, while Ross does use real models, Don Draper isn't one of them. He sure is a dead ringer though!

What did you mean by your post then??
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I only meant he should be Batman instead of Bond

Jon-Hamm-jon-hamm-7852365-1280-1024.jpgBatman%20by%20Alex%20Ross.jpg
    I find Hamm to be too... American looking, if that makes sense. It's as if he's got that all American hero look. Might be good for Superman, but totally wrong for Bond. He may be a good actor, but then i've never seen him in anything.

can you define american looking please Major? because in my asian eyes all white actors both side of atlantics (US - UK) seems there is no difference between both country especially actors/actresses from those two nations often cross boundary to play characters different from their " country of origin" ex Cavill play Superman, Robert D play Sherlock holmes, or hugh laurie play american doctors...