Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Damn, I found 1967 as his birthyear. Looks like we have another 'Dalton' on our hands! lol
    Actually I went back and looked harder and way more sources say 1972 than 1967 so it appears you're right- my apologies!

Haha, no worries, it happened to me too. My brother found that he was born in 1972 after I had claimed he could be too old for Bond when Craig quits in another forum. Wiki tricks everyone. And was Dalton born in 1944 or 1946? I think it was 1946.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    There are many more links citing 1967 as Statham's birth year.
    ANYWAYS, I don't think Statham has the acting chops I would want Bond to have. He might look good through certain bits (but Bond should never look martial-artsy, he can't pull it off COUGH YOLT COUGH TMWTGG).
    Sean Bean always in my mind could have been a great Bond , but now hes too old and since he was 006 it just wouldn't have been a good move after GE, its ashame he didn't have the opportunity to try out for Bond before GE.

Another actor who I think would do great is Gerald Butler, hes big, stocky and has a grittyness to him.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Sean Bean always in my mind could have been a great Bond , but now hes too old and since he was 006 it just wouldn't have been a good move after GE, its ashame he didn't have the opportunity to try out for Bond before GE.

Another actor who I think would do great is Gerald Butler, hes big, stocky and has a grittyness to him.

Again, I question Butler's acting. Daniel is a safe bet on that front. Same with Fassbender. But yes, Bean instead of Brosnan would have been a perfect balance between Dalton and Craig.
    Yes westbrook you do bring up a very interesting point with Butler's acting skills, I thought his performance in 300 was solid, could he interpret that anger, charisma and grittyness to a secret agent? I think he could if given the correct direction and script. Practice makes perfect as well, I do see why you question his acting skills, he does seem to come off alittle quirky at times, but if you ever saw Butler in Law Abiding Citizen he does give off a charm that could perhaps be molded into a 007ness personality.

Sean Bean is a blend of Dalton and Craig, great statement there west, couldn't describe him any better.
    In the past, Oliver Reed was considered for the part. But he was knocked back due to his drinking lifestyle. Shame. I think he would've been a great Bond.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 612
    Ewan McGregor is just annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3RvVgIpIo&feature=related

Watch The Island, and you'll see what I mean.

I think Ryan Gosling could pull off Bond, just needs some accent training.
    Ryan-Gosling-GQ-US-January-2011-Editorial-61.jpg
    Ewan McGregor is just annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3RvVgIpIo&feature=related

Watch The Island, and you'll see what I mean.

I think Ryan Gosling could pull off Bond, just needs some accent training.
    Ryan-Gosling-GQ-US-January-2011-Editorial-61.jpg

I don't think McGregor is annoying. I think he could've done it.

Gosling could be good, he's a good actor, I liked him in Drive.
    Sam Neil would have done good in the 89's or early 90's. He had a sophisticated grittyness to him, a devilish charm too that would have brought a dark elegance to the character.
    Sam Neil would have done good in the 89's or early 90's. He had a sophisticated grittyness to him, a devilish charm too that would have brought a dark elegance to the character.

He screen tested for Bond, you can watch it in this video.

Yeah, I knew that audition. Quite awful if you ask me. But then again, Moore was the mold back then. Dalton being Bond was AWESOME!!!
    thanks royale, I've seen it before already but I just watched it again. Neil's screentest sure beats the hell out of Jason Brolins screentest though.
    I bet EON has a large collection of unseen screentests just laying around. I wish they'd release them, they'd sure be interesting to watch . Actually EON could make quite a profit on them, they could release them in a DVD set called, "NEVER SAY THEY DIDN'T TRY", The 007 screentest editions. or Almost Bond- The actors who could've been Bond lol or something catchy.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I bet EON has a large collection of unseen screentests just laying around. I wish they'd release them, they'd sure be interesting to watch . Actually EON could make quite a profit on them, they could release them in a DVD set called, "NEVER SAY THEY DIDN'T TRY", The 007 screentest editions. or Almost Bond- The actors who could've been Bond lol or something catchy.

These screentest are by far the #1 Bond extra that I want to see. I'm sure there are some suprises among the actors who tested. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the actors who actually screentested?

Sadly Fassbender is just the right age now. Although I suppose Rog took over at 40 and he ran for years.
    bondsum wrote:
    It is my belief that whoever is cast it'll have to be someone who is familiar to American audiences. Whether that be someone who is yet to have their major breakthrough or is already an established actor, it will still have to be someone the American audiences believe in. I'm sure there will be a long list of names that Sony, MGM and Danjaq already have tucked away in their top drawer and it'll probably be none of the above... Fassbender being the exception. Though I don't mind Tom Hiddleston as a possible outsider.

I have to admit that I do find the whole "black Bond" debate rather tedious as there's very little need or justification in changing such a winning formula, especially one that already has an established and built-in demographic. Would Harry Potter or Superman have benefited from a change in ethnicity just for the sake of being different or politically correct, or would it have only upset both if not all communities as superficial tokenism? There's no doubt that Idris Elbra is a talented actor, but that doesn't make him anymore suitable for 007 than say Tahar Rahim or Jimi Mistry. My point is keep Bond as he is, in honour of Fleming and 50 years of celebrated movie successes.

That's my say on the matter.

It's less and less important that the actor is known to US audiences. PB was known in the US, but DC was not, and yet is still a huge success there. Any way, there is now a much larger global audience for films and the US market, while still important, does not hold sway in the same way it used to.
    I'd be surprised if Dominic Cooper's name is not discussed at some point in the next few years:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1002641/

He'll be the right age by the time DC steps down.
    just looked at dom coopers photos on that link u provided above, he looks stumpy and he has a baby face, I couldn't take him seriously. I could see him as a Felix Leiter at best, but as Bond, hell no.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 774
    I wish Jeremy Renner weren't an American, otherwise I'd love him as Bond. Really enjoy his work. He's 41 now, so there wouldn't be much point in hiring someone only a few years younger than Craig anyway. Plus he's in Bourne Legacy with Daniel Craig's wife, and the 'Bond Bourne' comparisons annoy me enough as it is. Plus he's going to be a recurring character in the Marvel universe, the Mission Impossible films, and possibly in the Bourne films too. Another recurring role in a big franchise and he'd be the busiest actor alive!

Very talented though.
    tumblr_m3zplkcbGZ1r432pio3_500.jpg
    http://celebs.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981373164

Robert Pattinson wants to be Bond. Now that really would be the death of Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Volante wrote:
    http://celebs.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981373164

Robert Pattinson wants to be Bond. Now that really would be the death of Bond.
    I won't let him, no matter what I must do.
    :|
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Hah, Pattinson as Bond? Not even if he was Bond's son! =)) Too early for him to be it, let him get 25 years older.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/idris-elba-fans-want-me-as-bond-16169292.html

"Idris Elba believes he will be the next James Bond if 'fans have any power'."
    Volante wrote:
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/idris-elba-fans-want-me-as-bond-16169292.html

If Bond fans had any power they'd glue Elba's jaw shut on the subject :-@
    bondsum wrote:
    Volante wrote:

=D>
    bondsum wrote:
    Volante wrote:

Speak for yourself.
    I have no respect whatsoever for men (is he even an actor?), who keep on advertising themselves as Bond. There has been quite a number and they are doing it in many different ways - some do it like this guy, some try to be more subtle or even through claiming, they didn't want the job when offered. None of these will ever find themselves really been offered the job and I don't even need a crystal ball to know that. EON liks to decide all by themselves.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Germanlady wrote:
    I have no respect whatsoever for men (is he even an actor?), who keep on advertising themselves as Bond. There has been quite a number and they are doing it in many different ways - some do it like this guy, some try to be more subtle or even through claiming, they didn't want the job when offered. None of these will ever find themselves really been offered the job and I don't even need a crystal ball to know that. EON liks to decide all by themselves.

Idris Elba is a fine and charismatic actor. Brilliant in the TV series Luther.

He is however clearly stirring it up a little. He's black, and probably challanging people to question why Bond shouldn't be black. As you say though, anyone who bleets on about how they should be Bond have basically screwed their chances.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    This quote actually comes from an interview with Collider:

Now that you’ve been a part of so many projects that people love, in both film and TV, is there something that you find fans approaching you about most often, these days?

ELBA: I keep getting asked about James Bond, and that surprises me. At first, I was like, “Oh, that’s cool, but it’s just a rumor.” But, I’ve had really long discussions with fans about why they think I would be perfect, why it would be revolutionary and why I should do it. It’s quite deep. If the fans have any power, I’ll probably be the next James Bond, but I don’t think that’s how they do it.

http://collider.com/idris-elba-prometheus-thor-2-interview/171497/

People will twist his words all they can, of course.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:

A very good actor. He's great in Luther (BBC series), Prometheus and he's playing Nelson Mandella soon. I don't think he's advertising himself as Bond and he hasn't really mentioned it much before so I don't see how (even if he was), he keeps doing it.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    People will twist his words all they can, of course.

Too true.