Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Yes, acting chops should obviously be the most important thing, and I would imagine now would be for EON as well. Like already mentioned before, the looks alone are ultimately meaningless and empty.
  • Tom Hardy said in an interview with Alan Carr on Friday that if people keep saying or asking if he's gonna be Bond, he's not gonna Bond. Probably another reason why Elba won't be Bond.
    I think Craig has kind of killed the Bond as male model template. I like Craig as Bond, but I don't for a minute think, and the women in my family agree, that he is at all conventionally handsome. Sometimes he is photographed in a way that makes him look good, in a rough and tough kind of way, but sometimes, he can look pretty bad. Mendes and Logan made him look far older than his years in SF with that cropped hair cut, white stubble and plot. They did him no favors. I think he needs to be groomed and photographed carefully in a film to look really good. Hopefully that will happen in SP. However, I kind of think he doesn't give a damn.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The past and personal life of Bond has been explored now (assuming Spectre will do this as well) so I don't believe EON will continue doing it, there is only so much you can tell about Bond's past or beginnings as 00 agent.

This inevitably will lead to more Dalton-esque Bond movies in the future where you have a serious not over-the-top Bond but with enough fun and witty dialogue to make it entertaining.
    Tom Hardy surely would fit that concept. At this point I'm not sure anymore that age will matter much when casting Bond. If you want to continue the Craig "timeline" you have to cast an actor in the mid-forties anyway.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Ok all along ive been saying which of suggestions i like and which i dont but i haven't given my own suggestions and because i dont have one exactly i will just give you a prototype of what in the Next Bond actor.

Non of my picks are eligible since they are too old too famous or Both.

But i would like Someone like Chris Hemsworth or Christian Bale.

Who are talented very good looking. Bale is very sophisticated with a perfect looking face and dark hair and Chris has the Charm and the ladies man style which he showed in the film Rush.

So if we could find someone close to them id be very exctied, its clear i want someone who will remind to either of my two big Favorites Pierce and Connery.

Bale would be my new Connery while Chris Hemsworth is my new Pierce.

Anyway from the suggestions ive been reading over here my favorites have been

Ed Skrein- the new transporter

Charlie Hunnam who looks very Bond like in a Calvin Klein add i saw

Henry Cavill a bitt bland in acting but he is has the Bond looks

Not so crazy about

Michael Fassbender- good looking and great actor but a little creepy and he just doesn't attract me.

Dan Stevens- has good pictures but doesn't have perfect Bond face( the perfect phisycal appearance with the right bone structure and he reminds me to David Morrisey who i didnt like in Basic Instinct 2.

Tom Hardy Great actor, he is very good in action but i dont Find James Bond attractive or charming.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Tom Hardy said in an interview with Alan Carr on Friday that if people keep saying or asking if he's gonna be Bond, he's not gonna Bond. Probably another reason why Elba won't be Bond.

Thanks for the tip, just watched it and am now like this: :D
    smitty wrote: »
    I think Craig has kind of killed the Bond as male model template. I like Craig as Bond, but I don't for a minute think, and the women in my family agree, that he is at all conventionally handsome. Sometimes he is photographed in a way that makes him look good, in a rough and tough kind of way, but sometimes, he can look pretty bad. Mendes and Logan made him look far older than his years in SF with that cropped hair cut, white stubble and plot. They did him no favors. I think he needs to be groomed and photographed carefully in a film to look really good. Hopefully that will happen in SP. However, I kind of think he doesn't give a damn.

I agree with you and the women in your family that he isn't conventionally handsome or photogenic - I think he rarely looks particularly good in photographs. I think he's attractive, though, but I wouldn't say that based on photographs.

Szonana wrote: »
    Ok all along ive been saying which of suggestions i like and which i dont but i haven't given my own suggestions and because i dont have one exactly i will just give you a prototype of what in the Next Bond actor.

Non of my picks are eligible since they are too, too famous or Both.

But i would like Someone like Chris Hemsworth or Christian Bale.

Who are talented very good looking. Bale is very sophisticated with a perfect looking face and dark hair and Chris has the Charm and the ladies man style which he showed in the film Rush.

So if we could find someone close to them id be very exctied, its clear i want someone who will remind to either of my two big Favorites Pierce and Connery.

Bale would be my new Connery while Chris Hemsworth is my new Pierce.

Anyway from the suggestions ive been reading over here my favorites have been

Ed Skrein- the new transporter

Charlie Hunnam who looks very Bond like in a Calvin Klein add i saw

Henry Cavill a bitt bland in acting but he is has the Bond looks

Not so crazy about

Michael Fassbender- good looking and great actor but a little creepy and he just doesn't attract me.

Dan Stevens- has good pictures but doesn't have perfect Bond face( the perfect phisycal appearance with the right bone structure and he reminds me to David Morrisey who i didnt like in Basic Instinct 2.

Tom Hardy Great actor, he is very good in action but i dont Find James Bond attractive or charming.

Interesting pair of prototypes. Yes, Bale :x could have killed it, but you're right, not happening, it's been too late for that for pretty much exactly 12 years. Hemsworth I've only seen as Thor and he did nothing for me in that role, but then the movies didn't do anything for me, either. I'll need to see him in something else, and I'll need to see Rush anyway... oh and I need to see Blackhat as well, of course.

I don't think I've seen Ed Skrein or Charlie Hunnam in anything so can't comment. Cavill seems bland indeed (though I admit to seeing him in only one movie, which was boring as hell), but he should surely be on the not-gonna-happen-anyway list - being Superman and all... Fassbender... umm... Obviously he can act, but I don't know... Dan Stevens I just think of as Matthew Crawley, and my imagination isn't good enough to imagine him as Bond, but who knows, in the future... again I'd need to see him do other types of stuff. Hardy :x is a fantastic actor, and very versatile, and I find him very charming, but like I said I don't know about Bond... and he's got himself a franchise, already, and all... not that I would object, I'll watch him in anything anyways... :))

Anyway... If Craig does another film after Spectre it'll be a few years onwards before the next guy is cast so it might be someone none of us has even heard of yet, or can't even imagine in the role now.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Don't think it will be anyone currently on the radar, as it were.

They will likely cast someone in his early- to mid 30’s in 2020, which would make whomever they pick about 26 -28 now. Plenty of successful movie actors were out in the wilderness at that age, either struggling for parts or doing low key tv / theatre. Connery, Daniel Craig, Russell Crowe, Harrison Ford, Jon Hamm - to name but a few - were not on anyone’s radar at that age…
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I hope your right. DC for Bond 25.

• Vanity Fair asks 23 celebrities who should play the next Bond.
    Not sure if I should have made a seperate topic about this or whether this belongs on the forum at all, but since rumoured candidates like Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston and Tom Hardy are in the interview (as well as Mrs. Bond aka Rachel Weisz) I thought this might be of interest to some. Turns out quite a few people endorse Elba.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Nice bit of fun there.
    Haha "I SO don't live with Bond" Right girl.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Vanity Fair asks 23 celebrities who should play the next Bond.
    Not sure if I should have made a seperate topic about this or whether this belongs on the forum at all, but since rumoured candidates like Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston and Tom Hardy are in the interview (as well as Mrs. Bond aka Rachel Weisz) I thought this might be of interest to some. Turns out quite a few people endorse Elba.

Its politically correct to do so ...otherwise you might be labelled a racist.

I'm not making a point either way as far as casting nor am I intending my comment to be racist itself (its not .).
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 163
    Dan Stevens - I'm not convinced by his voice or screen presence. Same goes for that Skrein guy who tries a little too hard to seem tough. For Bond that should come effortlessly.

If DC doesn't do another one, Fassbender would be a great transition for 2 or 3 movies. There's no chance Fassbender wouldn't be a great Bond if the scripts are good. Too bad he isn't younger.

Elba could be a fellow 00 that switches sides.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,333
    Can I ask what movies you've seen of Dan Stevens to be unconvinced by his voice or screen presence, @JamesSpectre? His voice isn't as light as Brosnan's which wasn't a problem for his tenure. How do you stand on Brosnan's voice? I'm curious, was his too weak also? It's just that most here that object to Stevens haven't seen him in anything apart from Downton Abbey. Can you imagine if Craig had also been ruled out on his first TV appearance in Our Friends in the North?

Personally, from what I've seen Dan Stevens is the most versatile actor whose name has been banded about here. He can do comedy, action, period and present-day drama and is soon to be seen in the lead role of Disney's live-action Beauty and the Beast remake. He's about the right age to grow into the role of Bond too. He's a good fit.

The next 007 shouldn't be a Craig clone with an interesting face, which is a euphemism for not that handsome at all. Sam Neil had "an interesting" face, but he too was unsuitable. Bond should be handsome. He should also be different enough for us to forget about DC's Bond but still have enough qualities to convince us that he is James Bond. We'll only be able to make that judgement when we see him in the role, even though some of us can see these qualities beforehand.

I agree Fassbender would've made a good Bond, but now he's too old as are most of the suggestions here. And Skrein has an" interesting face" but everything else doesn't work for me. As an Englishman I find his accent too Thames Estuary to be sauve. I just don't think he could pull it off.

I'm still sticking with Dan Stevens.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Can I ask what movies you've seen of Dan Stevens to be unconvinced by his voice or screen presence, @JamesSpectre? His voice isn't as light as Brosnan's which wasn't a problem for his tenure. How do you stand on Brosnan's voice? I'm curious, was his too weak also? It's just that most here that object to Stevens haven't seen him in anything apart from Downton Abbey. Can you imagine if Craig had also been ruled out on his first TV appearance in Our Friends in the North?

Personally, from what I've seen Dan Stevens is the most versatile actor whose name has been banded about here. He can do comedy, action, period and present-day drama and is soon to be seen in the lead role of Disney's live-action Beauty and the Beast remake. He's about the right age to grow into the role of Bond too. He's a good fit.

The next 007 shouldn't be a Craig clone with an interesting face, which is a euphemism for not that handsome at all. Sam Neil had "an interesting" face, but he too was unsuitable. Bond should be handsome. He should also be different enough for us to forget about DC's Bond but still have enough qualities to convince us that he is James Bond. We'll only be able to make that judgement when we see him in the role, even though some of us can see these qualities beforehand.

I agree Fassbender would've made a good Bond, but now he's too old as are most of the suggestions here. And Skrein has an" interesting face" but everything else doesn't work for me. As an Englishman I find his accent too Thames Estuary to be sauve. I just don't think he could pull it off.

I'm still sticking with Dan Stevens.

I didn't say Dan Stevens doesn't have screen presence. Let me rephrase that: he doesn't have enough screen presence to be Bond. It's obvious from his interviews alone if you care to watch. He doesn't intimidate or attract all the looks in the room the way Connery or Brosnan did - yes, as different as they may have been they both had these qualities. As about the handsomeness, that's all subjective. Ask women what they think of Daniel Craig and most will answer he is handsome and sexy. I personally find Stevens' "good looks" to be a bit too soft and boyish for Bond. He looks a bit as if Chris Martin from Coldplay would be Bond. His versatility will do him good in his career, but it's hardly relevant here. Bond isn't such a complex character as you'd think. I don't recall Connery doing a lot of comedy. Does that make him unsuitable for Bond ? For every role you need to find the actor.

Fassbender would certainly not be a Craig clone. He'd bring his personality to the table and in the right context would make a very different Bond from all the others. I'm not concerned about his age because he doesn't really look it yet. But it doesn't have to be him. I'm just not convinced on Stevens. Maybe you could reccomend me something where you saw him and thought "wow, this is Bond". I'm open to change my mind about him.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yea I really don't get why Fassbender doesn't get more support. Ages fine so far but still too old at all, good actor, and has the look. Plus well enough known to be worth to pay to sell the movie.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    As great a Bond he'd make Fassbender isn't a realistic candidate to become Bond.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    As great a Bond he'd make Fassbender isn't a realistic candidate to become Bond.

Unfortunatelly I think you're right. He'll be at least 40 before they make another one, but my guess is Daniel will do one more. I think that will depend on the success of Spectre as well. He'll leave some big shoes to fill. My only concern is they may settle for Cavill or Dornhan for the sake of box office success.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 6,601
    If they want BO, Cavill or even worse Dornam would be the way to kill it. Dornam doesnt Even has the looks, as is agreed After Shades and Cavill is dead in the acting and charisma Department. Also largely public opinion, I believe.

Charlie Hunam is a likely candidate, now or later.

• edited September 2015 Posts: 3,333
    I didn't say Dan Stevens doesn't have screen presence. Let me rephrase that: he doesn't have enough screen presence to be Bond. It's obvious from his interviews alone if you care to watch. He doesn't intimidate or attract all the looks in the room the way Connery or Brosnan did - yes, as different as they may have been they both had these qualities. As about the handsomeness, that's all subjective. Ask women what they think of Daniel Craig and most will answer he is handsome and sexy. I personally find Stevens' "good looks" to be a bit too soft and boyish for Bond. He looks a bit as if Chris Martin from Coldplay would be Bond. His versatility will do him good in his career, but it's hardly relevant here. Bond isn't such a complex character as you'd think. I don't recall Connery doing a lot of comedy. Does that make him unsuitable for Bond ? For every role you need to find the actor.

Fassbender would certainly not be a Craig clone. He'd bring his personality to the table and in the right context would make a very different Bond from all the others. I'm not concerned about his age because he doesn't really look it yet. But it doesn't have to be him. I'm just not convinced on Stevens. Maybe you could reccomend me something where you saw him and thought "wow, this is Bond". I'm open to change my mind about him.

Relax. I was just trying to find out what you thought as you were a tad vague in your reasons, and you're a newbie who's recently started posting here so call me curious.

Yes, I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder (subjective) and all that jazz, but I think the majority of us can spot whether someone is good looking, average or not without having to ask a woman. And of course women's views will differ greatly between themselves about male attraction, plus women really don't make up the majority of the audience of a Bond movie. But you've replied you find his looks rather too boyish, which is fine. An accusation that could also be levelled at Roger Moore and Brosnan too. Again, it didn't detract or affect their tenures as 007. Personally, I think he's now at the right age to start having a more lived-in face, much like Dallton benefited by being cast when he was older rather than younger with TLD and not OHMSS. You don't have to agree, I'm just making my case as to why I think Steven's is a good future fit for Bond. Like Fassbender, Stevens is also tall and muscular.

You also mention not remembering Connery doing much comedy. I think Connery showed his own versitility in comedy with On The Fiddle, A Fine Madness and various comedic-lite roles such as Indiana Jones' father and Daniel Dravot. But it would be unfair to compare Stevens filmography with Connery's as Stevens has just started getting noticed by Hollywood after years of being on stage or TV and is relatively new.

I'm in agreement that Fassbender wouldn't be a Craig clone, but sadly again I think he'll be too old once Craig departs, and we'd just have another Bond going through the over-the-hill 007 plotlines that DC has found himself part of once more; when a younger 007 would be a better place to start and build afresh.

I don't think there's a definitive movie yet where one can say "that's Bond" but then I'd have said the same about Craig too, though there were hints in Layer Cake. I think Dan Steven's Layer Cake moment is The Guest, not quite Bond as he's playing an American ex-soldier, but there's enough there to see the potential. He's almost unrecognisable in A Walk Among The Tombstones, but it shows he has depth and range. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for his next movie too with Travolta and Michael Piitt called Criminal Activities. If Eon don't come calling then it's only a matter of time before Marval or DC Comics comes knocking on his door. It would seem a waste and a missed opportunity for Bond if another franchise got him first.

PS. In reply to @Germanlady's Charlie Hunam - I've seen him in Sons of Anarchy, Green Street and his rather flat performance in Pacific Rim. Also, doesn't he fit the too pretty to be Bond list? I also recall he pulled out of 50 Shade of Gray after getting cold feet. I'll take another look at him when Crimson Peak comes out later.
    @bondsum I am relaxed as I understand there are a lot of actors out there and a lot of opinions and ultimately the matter is out of our hands.

What do people here think of Luke Evans ? I think in terms of looks he'd be a very good fit, closer to what Fleming intended. Knows how to wear a suit and I also fancy his voice. The only problem is he is 36 now.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 372
    Germanlady wrote: »
    If they want BO, Cavill or even worse Dornam would be the way to kill it. Dornam doesnt Even has the looks, as is agreed After Shades and Cavill is dead in the acting and charisma Department. Also largely public opinion, I believe.

Charlie Hunnam, like Daniel Craig, reminds me of Dopey from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Needless to say, it messes up my entire image of Bond. :p Another roughed up blonde dude. Unless he's a phenomenal actor like Craig, I don't see why they can't cast a real class act again. Some of the suggestions in this topic are absolutely frightening. Also Cavill and Dornan are a no-go, that's for certain.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I don't see why they can't cast a real class act again. Some of the suggestions in this topic are absolutely frightening. Also Cavill and Dornan are a no-go, that's for certain.

I'm concerned that Dornan may actually be on the list. He made a lot of money for everyone with 50 Shades of " " and EON probably realizes he must be popular with some component of the female population (given it was women who really drove up the box office returns on that film). Money talks.

I agree on needing someone different form DC next time around. I'd prefer they not go for someone with a similar 'rougher' image, and rather, go for a smoother operator.....but also make sure that it's someone who can also credibly act. That would avoid inevitable (and perhaps negative) comparisons to DC and also allow them to stretch the creative vision in another, lighter direction.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Charlie Hunnam, like Daniel Craig, reminds me of Dopey from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Needless to say, it messes up my entire image of Bond. :p Another roughed up blonde dude. Unless he's a phenomenal actor like Craig, I don't see why they can't cast a real class act again. Some of the suggestions in this topic are absolutely frightening. Also Cavill and Dornan are a no-go, that's for certain.

Charlie Hunnam can look like Bond when he is clean shaven and his hair color is darkened

Just look at this add

http://youtu.be/enzT6uBZgZQ

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I certainly hope Calvin Klein commercials are not being used to contemplate future Bond actors, otherwise Dornan definitely may be on the list, sadly.

• Szonana wrote: »

Charlie Hunnam can look like Bond when he is clean shaven and his hair color is darkened

Just look at this add

The helmet haircut he's sporting there scares me even more. If this commercial proves anything, it's that he probably wouldn't have any trouble dealing with Bond girls.
    :P

I still don't see the appeal though.
    He didnt end up being a Favorite after Shades, Au contraire. The girl stole the Show.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Szonana wrote: »

Just look at this add

The helmet haircut he's sporting there scares me even more. If this commercial proves anything, it's that he probably wouldn't have any trouble dealing with Bond girls.
    :P

I still don't see the appeal though.

Really ?

I found him sonattractive and sexy very James Bond style and big part of James Bond is dealing with the Bond girl which charlie showed he is great with the ladies.

Anyway its funny how female and male fans of this franchise care for different characteristics in a Bond actor.
    We girls care more if he is handsome and Sexy. That we would belive him as womanizer ladies man while the male audiences care more if he fights well and hoe though and dangerous he is .

Actually for Bond, you need to fit all of this.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    He didnt end up being a Favorite after Shades, Au contraire. The girl stole the Show.

Do you mean Dakota Stole the show from Jamie ?

I actually agree but i think Dakota Johonson had advantge of being open minded with the material and liked her character, Jamie said he felt very uncomfortable with the S&M thing.

Dakota ( Ana) was more ok with the whole thing than Jamie so she had much more fun portraying her part.
    Usually in a movie like that the guy shines more because he has the meatier part and is more complex. So this film is one of very strange cases where the actor with lesser material upstaged the other one.

Dakota had a better attitude towards the film than Jamie but i think with the material feels more ok with he could do great and i think James Bond could be that film for him.