Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Sark wrote: »
    Why couldnt a white actor play Axel Foley? I don't recall his race being an especially important part of the character.

Ha ha? He mentions being black all the time??? He's a cool streetwise black guy from detroit sent to the white superficial environment of Beverley Hills!

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Idris not being favoured by many for Bond is not about his race, many like myself believe if they did choose a non Caucasian actor then there are more suited being Bond than Elba chiwetel ejiofor and David Harewood for a start.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Idris not being favoured by many for Bond is not about his race, many like myself believe if they did choose a non Caucasian actor then there are more suited being Bond than Elba chiwetel ejiofor and David Harewood for a start.

The very fact that there are so few black leading actors to chose from (those above, Adrian Lester..any others?) is an embarrassing reflection on how film and TV treats black talent. Bond will remain white mainly because for every suitable black candidate there are probably 20 white ones. So statistically he will remain white.

We should see more black actors on the BBC and then maybe a really suitable actor will come along who could be considered for a prestigious role like Bond, or Sherlock Holmes or the Saint.

I don't include any American characters like Superman or Batman because while Hollywood will tell us to consider black actors for iconic British roles, they certainly won't do so for their own iconic characters.
    If I were in charge, the next Bond actor would be....

Idris Craig!

2zojalv.jpg

;)
  • Do we really want an actor who'll only do maybe two films if lucky? Idris is 43, 4 years younger than Craig is now. If Craig does Bond 25 (fingers crossed) then by the time they cast, film and release Bond 26, Idris will be 49 in his FIRST BOND FILM, if they stick to a three year production time. People are already saying that they think Craig is getting too old.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    suavejmf wrote: »
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

This is more Shaft than Bond........Next up, trailers for Colin Firth as BA Baracus, Jude Law as Axel Foley and Jet Li as John Shaft.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it.......Shaft.

Elba, imho, is the man with the most talent to take over Bond (among all currently listed candidates). However, as I've said countless times, due to his skin colour, he will not be consistently sellable (once the novelty has worn off) on a global basis to the level required to guarantee the box office numbers that they now demand. This is irrespective of his age. Such a situation is unlikely to change.....but I never say never.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Do we really want an actor who'll only do maybe two films if lucky? Idris is 43, 4 years younger than Craig is now. If Craig does Bond 25 (fingers crossed) then by the time they cast, film and release Bond 26, Idris will be 49 in his FIRST BOND FILM, if they stick to a three year production time. People are already saying that they think Craig is getting too old.

No, I definitely don't want Elba.
    NicNac wrote: »

The very fact that there are so few black leading actors to chose from (those above, Adrian Lester..any others?) is an embarrassing reflection on how film and TV treats black talent. Bond will remain white mainly because for every suitable black candidate there are probably 20 white ones. So statistically he will remain white.

There are many leading black actors though, but due to Geography and history few British ones. But times are changing, David Gyasi (Interstellar) David Oyelowo (Interstellar) Paterson Joseph (The Beach) Ashley Walters (Get Rich or Die Tryin') Aml Ameen (The Maze Runner) Charles Venn (The Dark Knight) Ray Fearon (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) Michael Obiora (Blink) Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra) Noel Clarke (Star Trek Into Darkness) and many more who are breaking through. I agree with you that their is still a problem in Holywood with the lack of non Caucasian leading me. chiwetel ejiofor never really got his big break as a leading man until cast by a black director in a film about slavery, prior to that he was a supporting actor.

I also think Black actors get stereotyped in roles.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Craig's most recent comments have provoked Hugh Jackman and Tom Hardy to express a desire to play the part:
    Hugh Jackman: I Would "Seriously Consider" Playing James Bond

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hugh-jackman-playing-james-bond-820759
    Tom Hardy says that he would consider playing James Bond

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a667201/tom-hardy-says-that-he-would-consider-playing-james-bond.html#~pnBDDLfJdSbJ80

Another day, another actor, another quote. ;)
    You know I never thought Hardy was right. But in the Legend trailer looking older he's changing my mind.

http://bcove.me/m95jc21b
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    You know I never thought Hardy was right. But in the Legend trailer looking older he's changing my mind.

http://bcove.me/m95jc21b

Hardy can definitely do it and has the chops, but purely from a personal preference, I'd prefer a taller fella & slightly less rugged pick this time around, just to mix it up.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Tom Hardy may just be the most versatile actor of his generation. I own all his movies.

Watch or look up still photographs of:
    Warrior 2011
    Lawless 2012
    This Means War 2012 (effectively playing an agent/spy)
    Mad Max 2015
    Inception 2010

I mean this guy can change his look and body and act differently like no one else can at the moment.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Tom Hardy may just be the most versatile actor of his generation. I own all his movies.

Watch or look up still photographs of:
    Warrior 2011
    Lawless 2012
    This Means War 2012 (effectively playing an agent/spy)
    Mad Max 2015
    Inception 2010

I mean this guy can change his look and body and act differently like no one else can at the moment.

Bronson. What a transformation.

I really like the Actor Eric Bana not for Bond, but either as a new Felix or Villain.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Tom Hardy and Fassbinder are probably the two most bankable names tossed about right now.

mcdonbb wrote: »
    Tom Hardy and Fassbinder are probably the two most bankable names tossed about right now.

Couldn't disagree

Hardy is 37
    Fassbender 38

I would say 40 is the cut off for a new Bond, Barbs will again look for a long term collaborator 4-5 films over 10 years.

I reckon Dan will do one more example filmed and released 2017. Then the Bond 27 with a new Bond goes in to production 2019 Hardy would be 41, Fassbender 42 so I still absolutely could see one or the other becoming the next Bond, but! I reckon they will cast younger. I still think Aidan Turner 32 (Polldark) Charlie Hunnham 35 will be more attractive prospects. Problem with recruiting Hardy or Fassbender is they are already in demand and on top Hollywood $$$ that makes negotiations difficult. If there is a promising younger option for less $$$ EON will go down that road. I trust Barbs to make the right call. She was right to let Brosnan go when she did and was right to stand by her choice in Daniel Craig.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Mirror has its money on David Beckham as the next 007. :((
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    OMG

O M G

O M G

it just dawned on me...

...Sam Smith isn't the singer of the Bond theme...

...that's not the message of his tweet...

...this is:

SAM SMITH GETS CAST AS THE NEW JAMES BOND!!
    Play it again Sam. :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Never. :))
    Sam Smith is Blofeld
    DrGorner wrote: »
    The Mirror has its money on David Beckham as the next 007. :((

Groan. Until EON puts a stop to all this nonsense, we are in for even worse, as every actor on the planet is going to say that they have been offered Bond.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,189
    David Beckham as Bond?

A load of Goldenballs.
    Never Say Beckham Again
    Too much Becks and violence
    Live and Let Dave
    Bond does seem to attract some of the silliest stories.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    David Beckham as Bond?

A load of Goldenballs.
    Never Say Beckham Again
    Too much Becks and violence

Dr Nowt
    From Russia with no winner medal
    Diamonds are for Vics finger
    The man with the Golden Balls
    Never Say Clever Again

=))
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,189
    He probably thnks Cubby Broccoli is something you buy at the local supermarket.

(ok I know that's a little cruel but I doubt very much he knows who the producers are)
    He probably thnks Cubby Broccoli is something you buy at the local supermarket.

(ok I know that's a little cruel but I doubt very much he knows who the producers are)

No I agree maybe he should keep his hope pinned on a reboot of Forest Gump or Dumb and Dumber 3 needing a third friend.

No harm to him sure he is a nice man who does lost of good charity work but that feminine voice saying "Bond, James Bond" would be the death of the franchise.
    I suspect Brosnan haters would have a new target if he was ever cast.
    I suspect Brosnan haters would have a new target if he was ever cast.

They would all be saying, "lets have another look at the Pierce guy"
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

In America, some of the most talented actors are Black. Denzel and Will Smith are both world class movie stars. However, back to casting Bond the charcter is Caucasian and thus the role should only be open to Caucasian actors (who are talented, handsome, suave, a certain age, height blah blah).

Elba is a decent actor and he is cool (as are the other actors listed above), but he isn't Caucasian. So he isn't eligable.
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Let's keep hyping Emun Elliott. He looks the part, acts the part, his bloody background (Scotish/Swiss) is the part. Send him to Savile Row for his dinner jacket already.