Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes Billington does seem to be the one they kept interest in. I think he was in Space 1999 for a while, wasn't he?
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes Billington does seem to be the one they kept interest in. I think he was in Space 1999 for a while, wasn't he?
    Close. It was actually Gerry Anderson's UFO made in 1970, followed by the historical drama The Onedin Line. He did play gangster John Coogan in one episode ("The Rack") of The Professionals, a series which also brought to early prominence a certain Pierce Brosnan.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Is out there any pic's on Cavill's screentest?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Is out there any pic's on Cavill's screentest?

There is one, I posted it in this thread a while ago. Or rather it wasn’t from his full-on test but what looked like a script reading on videotape: he wasn’t in costume or anything.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I sincerely hope he doesn’t get the role; he’s everywhere right now, and doesn’t need it. Not to mention it’d just be Chris Hemsworth in a James Bond film. At least Aidan Turner would feel somewhat fresh and new, and could actually become the character, and I’m not even that keen on him.

I can’t argue with that.

I agree.
    I imagine Billington's screen-tests must have been quite solid.

I remember Michael Caine saying most actor screen-tests show a bit of fear. Not quite an accurate representation of how the performance will come off in the film. Christopher Reeve's Superman screen-tests are a great example of the potential seen in the test, which was obviously more developed for the final film.

I'd love to see Brosnan's TLD test.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Martin Shaw.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 4,400
    The dream Bond 26 scenario for me would be a Cary Fukunaga or Safdie brothers directed film starring Robert Pattinson as James Bond.

He's edgy, cool, byronic, moody, intense and all other superlatives. You'd have the perfect Bond for the 2020's with Pattinson. This poster perfectly symbolises the modern and cool approach that a Pattinson reign could usher in...

ElwGOujXUAAEQ4G?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I do appreciate that Pattinson may be out due to having accepted the Batman role. However, the other name I always gravitate towards is Cillian Murphy. There's something so aloof and cool about him (plus, he's an incredible actor). As if he knows he's the smartest man in the room. He's so nonchalant. He's also not an entirely expected name. Which makes him more exciting.

cillian-m-4-752x501.png

If I can't have either Pattinson or Murphy, then I'll take Timothee Chalamet. This is my position now, but it's dependent on new movies coming next year and a host of new names we have yet to discuss. Chalamet is the new Daniel Day Lewis. Someone who could have been Bond back in the 1990s. Just imagine if they cast him in goldeneye! Crikey...That would have been impressive.

LW_2019_1376.jpg
    MV5BZjgxZmFkMTktMWYzYi00ZjdhLWJiODEtNTcyODIwNjQxZGQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ5MzY0NjM@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I remember Michael Caine saying most actor screen-tests show a bit of fear. Not quite an accurate representation of how the performance will come off in the film. Christopher Reeve's Superman screen-tests are a great example of the potential seen in the test, which was obviously more developed for the final film.

I'd love to see Brosnan's TLD test.

Agreed.

Albeit Gavin’s screen test is the one I want to see the most, it must have been great if he was signed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I doubt there would be an huge surprises in Pierce’s screentest, his acting style never really changed, and if you watch him The Fourth Protocol you can get a decent feel for his Bond at that time.
    OK, apologies on the Chris Hemsworth proposal. As an American, Chris Hemsworth sounds British to me. Oh, I can tell an Aussie, but only when it is exaggerated, as with the Crocodile Hunter. I realize this is silly, just as, to a Brit, a New Yorker would not sound the same as a US Southernor, nor a US Midwesterner. My point remains, though. Someone young enough to be around for at least three -- preferably more -- films, and who could carry the lighter tone. Tall, built, uniquely handsome and British. What I find among some of the actors named above and in polls and betting lines is that, while handsome, some of the actors identified are not uniquely handsome.

Of course, a great deal does not come through in still images. With Sean Connery's passing, I am reminded of how the producers were impressed with how he moved. Big, tall guy but moved like a panther. Connery had studied a great deal and it included movement. I recall that Moore himself observed that he did not look good when running, but with the tonal shift he carried the day. (His fight for the "charm" in TMWTGG is a GREAT contained space fight !) This time around, I think they'll want someone not only ready for the tonal shift but also athletic in a variety of ways, including running.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Since62 wrote: »
    OK, apologies on the Chris Hemsworth proposal. As an American, Chris Hemsworth sounds British to me. Oh, I can tell an Aussie, but only when it is exaggerated, as with the Crocodile Hunter. I realize this is silly, just as, to a Brit, a New Yorker would not sound the same as a US Southernor, nor a US Midwesterner. My point remains, though. Someone young enough to be around for at least three -- preferably more -- films, and who could carry the lighter tone. Tall, built, uniquely handsome and British. What I find among some of the actors named above and in polls and betting lines is that, while handsome, some of the actors identified are not uniquely handsome.

Of course, a great deal does not come through in still images. With Sean Connery's passing, I am reminded of how the producers were impressed with how he moved. Big, tall guy but moved like a panther. Connery had studied a great deal and it included movement. I recall that Moore himself observed that he did not look good when running, but with the tonal shift he carried the day. (His fight for the "charm" in TMWTGG is a GREAT contained space fight !) This time around, I think they'll want someone not only ready for the tonal shift but also athletic in a variety of ways, including running.

No need to apologize for Hemsworth, he’s a viable, strong candidate. Obviously others feel differently.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,526
    @Pierce2Daniel if we're talking about fun scenarios, I'd go for Pattinson with Nic Winding Refn directing and Cliff Martinez doing the soundtrack. Pattinson kind of gives me the same vibes as this Tim Sale drawing of Bond, especially in that poster you made which was great btw:
    c1chv2ryk5511.jpg
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,020
    I'm very late to this thread and his name has surely been mentioned plenty of times but for my money, no one (that I know of) is better suited to take over from Craig than Tom Hiddleston. Doubly so after just having watched The Night Manager (which I absolutely loved). Speaking of that series (I haven't read the book) I was surprised at how close it ressembles LTK in terms of story and some of its characters... further proof that Hiddleston has all the required attributes to be a wonderful Bond - handsome, charming, brutal when necessary and that twinkle in his eye that suggests hidden menace. And he's at the right age as well.
    I can also see a case made for the other Tom (Hardy) slipping into the tux but I fear he'll more closely emulate his predecessor, although I'm sure he would inject some much needed humor in his interpretation, something that was sorely lacking from Craig's Bourne... em, Bond.
    IMO Hiddleston is the right man to finally give us a modern Bond that also retains the classic elements that made the character so beloved in the first place.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Watching Hiddleston try to be tough in Kong was laughable. Saw the first episode of Night Manager, though, but it didn't grab me enough to continue. Might have to give it another chance. And it does seem like he's great in it.

There's no way they'll cast him, though, for a variety of reasons.

Love Hardy, and wouldn't be disappointed if they cast him, but to me he doesn't have the look either. He'd do a fantastic job though, and I agree, would be similar to Craig's run.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited November 2020 Posts: 395
    Was Josh Brolin in the running last time around, they tested his father after all?

Was Josh Brolin in the running last time around, they tested his father after all?

They tested his Father and it was total crap. Playing Bond as an American. Madness.
    Watching Hiddleston try to be tough in Kong was laughable. Saw the first episode of Night Manager, though, but it didn't grab me enough to continue. Might have to give it another chance. And it does seem like he's great in it.

There's no way they'll cast him, though, for a variety of reasons.

Love Hardy, and wouldn't be disappointed if they cast him, but to me he doesn't have the look either. He'd do a fantastic job though, and I agree, would be similar to Craig's run.

The Night Manager is one of the best BBC dramas I’ve ever seen. Highly recommended. Hiddleston is excellent in it.
    The Night Manager is just great, even if you're not a Hiddleston fan. I mean, look at the cast: Hugh Laurie, Elizabeth Debicki, Olivia Colman, Tom Hollander, David Harewood. I'd be happy to see any (if not all!) of these actors in a Bond film.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Olivia Colman would be a great future M, if they went for a woman again.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

They tested his Father and it was total crap. Playing Bond as an American. Madness.

But they still tested American.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Having just finished the Haunting of Bly Manor (fantastic show, BTW), I have to say that I could definitely see Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Bond. Not exactly a Bondian performance perse, but the elements were certainly there.

Jackson-Cohen definitely has the "right" height and body build, at 6'3", and he even has a haircut similar to Connery's in Darby O'Gill. And he would fit the profile EON tends to love when they hire a new actor, with a few good supporting turns or even cast as the antagonist in some productions, but nothing really high-profile that would make him be anything else than the "new Bond" in the minds of the audience.

32zhhj12l6s51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=6fb75f780202de186fb5ebb2991f59ccf4473baa

Then, he hasn't so far played much action, and he could be not really convincing in that particular range, but the guy would much likely be a contender for the part;
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Night Manager is just great, even if you're not a Hiddleston fan. I mean, look at the cast: Hugh Laurie, Elizabeth Debicki, Olivia Colman, Tom Hollander, David Harewood. I'd be happy to see any (if not all!) of these actors in a Bond film.

It is great (and as I've said before, is a loose remake of Licence To Kill) but although Hiddleston is a decent enough lead I think he shows he's not Bond material in it.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Having just finished the Haunting of Bly Manor (fantastic show, BTW), I have to say that I could definitely see Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Bond. Not exactly a Bondian performance perse, but the elements were certainly there.

Jackson-Cohen definitely has the "right" height and body build, at 6'3", and he even has a haircut similar to Connery's in Darby O'Gill. And he would fit the profile EON tends to love when they hire a new actor, with a few good supporting turns or even cast as the antagonist in some productions, but nothing really high-profile that would make him be anything else than the "new Bond" in the minds of the audience.

32zhhj12l6s51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=6fb75f780202de186fb5ebb2991f59ccf4473baa

Then, he hasn't so far played much action, and he could be not really convincing in that particular range, but the guy would much likely be a contender for the part;

I think he is a screentest material.

I've been championing for him ever since Bly Manor. Right voice, good presence, that wicked smile Connery had. Just give him that haircut, and not a ridiculous modern spiky thing, which makes his head long and weird. And keep it a tad on the darker shade, as it should. He'd be perfect in the role.

But they still tested American.

True. But hopefully they learned from their lesson.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Univex wrote: »

I've been championing for him ever since Bly Manor. Right voice, good presence, that wicked smile Connery had. Just give him that haircut, and not a ridiculous modern spiky thing, which makes his head long and weird. And keep it a tad on the darker shade, as it should. He'd be perfect in the role.

I need to watch that. Seems like a decent shout from what you are saying.

I’ve seen him in ‘The Invisible Man’, but he was playing an American.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I agree. For both Harry and Cubby, who continued to keep Billington on some sort of personal contract, he must've been very good. There are glimpses of his Bond as Segie in TSWLM we can draw upon, but other than that there's not much.

I agree with both @MSL49 and @Univex. Outside of Aidan Turner and Henry Cavill, I think Oliver Jackson-Cohen is the best alternative suggestion that I've seen so far. He deserves to be on the contenders list, IMHO.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Jackson-Cohen has shot to the top of my favourites list, too.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Jackson-Cohen has shot to the top of my favourites list, too.

I'd even go as far as saying I prefer him to Turner now. But he has to be styled the appropriate way. None of that modern spiked hairs with skinny suits. He needs to get his 50s/60s groove on. That hair from Bly Manor and some clean cut Saville Row single breasted navy blue suits with black oxfords, and knitted ties will do. Still, i find that my list is changing a bit in its order. Hoult, Jackson-Cohen, Turner. But to be fair, I’d be happy with any of the three.

:)